• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rome2rio.com: how does it work?

A

Anemone del Camino

Here I am, plotting another Camino, and since I want to go sooner rather than later, and since Mary posted such a beautiful film of her VDLP walk, and I have no intention to encounter winter, VDLP is looking good.

So, I went to Rome2Rio and I still can't figure out which flights cost what. It tells me there are flights between 800$ and 1500$, clearly I am more interested in the 800$ option. But where do I see which option is which?

This is what I get: https://www.rome2rio.com/fr/s/Montréal/Séville - airlines, duration, days the flight combo flies, and again duration. Bit no mention of the price.

I am on an Ipad. Could this be the problem?

My thanks to anyone who can help.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Rome2Rio is a good starting point to see what different travel combinations are possible from A to B. When it comes to flights and when you know when you want to go where either check https://www.skyscanner.net or go directly to the website of the airline mentioned on Rome2Rio. In left side menu click on the travel combination you want to see more info about, then in the next side menu on the flight itself, type in your days and the prices appear. Check prices against airline webpage itself to make sure you get the b est deal.

Happy planning, SY

In left side menu click on the travel combination you want to see more info about, then in the next side menu on the flight itself, type in your days and the prices appear. Check prices against airline webpage itself to make sure you get the b est deal.

Happy planning, SY

I just dom't see where else to click once I selected the flight combo I am curious about. When I click on what interests me all I get is the detail of what makes up the complete trip. No other side menu for the flight itself, no where to type dates...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When are you thinking of going?

I tend to use Expedia to learn about the prices and combinations. Then I usually go to the airline site to do the booking, although I recently booked a trip directly on Expedia for the first time since they offered a better fare.
End of January perhaps.

I normally take a charter from Montreal to Madrid, Barcelon or Poeto, depending on the Camino, and then google for an internal flight, bus or train.

It is just aggravating that R2R gives you a hint of prices, but it doesn't show you where it came up with them. Show me inexpensive, I'll tell you when and with whom I fly. :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I find R2R extremely helpful as a tool to narrow the options of land travel possibilities in Europe (particularly trains and buses). It is not totally inclusive of everything possibility and totally depends on the companies offering the services to keep schedules and prices up to date -- so, I find that it is best to start with R2R, figure out the companies and paths and schedules might work, then link to those company's private websites and work on the details (pricing, schedules, bookings) from there. In almost every case, though, with further investigation, I will find other (less commercial) ways to get from point A to point B -- not better, necessarily, but other options. I will say that R2R has become my first source once I am on the ground in Europe and a great little tool to use directly off my phone once I am enroute and need to make a change in plans.

This is what I get: https://www.rome2rio.com/fr/s/Montréal/Séville - airlines, duration, days the flight combo flies, and again duration. Bit no mention of the price.

I am on an Ipad. Could this be the problem?
Hi @Anemone del Camino Using your link, in chrome browser on Mac, I get sidebar on right. I click on flights to Sevilla, then click on the line Montreal(YUL) and a box opens with search area at the top for dates and times. When I put in dates and times, I get a list of
flights and prices for those dates.

I agree absolutely with @Sr.Bigote I find R2R immensely useful for land transport - combinations of coaches, buses, and trains are generally covered very well, and links to timetables are provided. I have often used it to identify the correct bus company in Spain for a particular trip, though I don't think I have ever used R2R to purchase a ticket. (I'm sorry that doesn't help them to make money!:() In my experience it works very well for France and UK too. So I find it a useful tool for trip planning.

Hi @Anemone del Camino Using your link, in chrome browser on Mac, I get sidebar on right. I click on flights to Sevilla, then click on the line Montreal(YUL) and a box opens with search area at the top for dates and times. When I put in dates and times, I get a list of
flights and prices for those dates.

I agree absolutely with @Sr.Bigote I find R2R immensely useful for land transport - combinations of coaches, buses, and trains are generally covered very well, and links to timetables are provided. I have often used it to identify the correct bus company in Spain for a particular trip, though I don't think I have ever used R2R to purchase a ticket. (I'm sorry that doesn't help them to make money!:() In my experience it works very well for France and UK too. So I find it a useful tool for trip planning.
Thank you, I hadn't thought of using another browser. I know that sometimes sites are not fully set up for,tablets. For exemple I have just been trying to book theater tickets online and could not see where the seats for x price where located etc.. So I called to buy them over the phone: "Oh, you must be on a tablet" says the girl on the phone.:(

As for how to use R2R, I agree, particularly useful to find out about trian and bus links, but since they taunt us with airline prices, I am curious to look into them. Only natural, no? I also find it useful for flights on discount airlines within Europe, such as Veuling, Ryaniait, etc., as these seldom pop up as options when using booking sites. So if I know I can get to Madrid, for ex., on a direct charter flight, I then like to know how toget from Madrid to my Camino starting point, including using flights.

BTW, the Icelandic airlines are offering unbelievable prices from North America to Iceland so I will start looking into flights from Iceland to different Camino starting points. That's one stop I don't mind making as itmis actually en route, and not a detour such as flying through the US or Frankfort as I would,have to do with Air Canada and US based airlines.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Rome2Rio is a good recon tool but it has limitations. It does not show all the options available, in particular the smaller service providers (such as many bus companies) are left out.

You could use the tool to find that there are flights from Montreal to Seville and the stops taken enroute.

From there its best to go to the websites of the service providers and the stations.

For flights in Spain ... the best site is the AENA website. AENA manages all the airports in Spain. Information can be found about who flies to and from any given airport. Links to service providers are listed.

Rome2Rio is a good recon tool but it has limitations. ....

For flights in Spain ... the best site is the AENA website. AENA manages all the airports in Spain. Information can be found about who flies to and from any given airport. Links to service providers are listed.

For Portugal use the ANA.pt web for Portugues airports and their airlines. Here it is in English. https://www.ana.pt/en/corporate/home

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, I am 16 days out from "boots on the ground" on the Frances route. As I am a solo female pilgrim My family wants to be able to find me any time day or night as I make my way across Spain...
I was trying to buy an Alsa bus ticket on-line to take us from Pamplona to SJPDP. It ask for a "document" and document number? Passport isn't mentioned and it wont let me make a purchase without...
Some news that was posted on Facebook by Johnnie Walker which I'm sure he won't mind my repeating here. Not sure who his informant was. The post was quite long but I'll just repost it here in...
Ryanair have announced that after November they will no longer be flying to/from Bordeaux. Unfortunate for those heading for SJPDP as it is a useful alternative to Biarritz...
hello - Does anyone have a suggested app that i can both track my progress along the route and share real time location? i know how to share real time on google maps but. or route progress. thank you!
I’m going to be getting the Monbus from Lavacolla just outside Santiago airport to Samos on Tuesday Is it worth booking online or ok to pay cash on the bus? Any thoughts would be welcome. Pay on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back