• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

(S)Training

Gary May

Time of past OR future Camino
My first Camino begins on 16th July 2017
This week I have finally been able to get some proper training started for my Camino Fances :cool:
Following a knee ligament injury about 4 months ago and 3 months of physio.....I stepped up my gym regime by introducing some leg work to strengthen the muscles. My biggest concern would be to get out on the path and fail due to injury.
Last night I filled my backpack (with a giant bag of protein powder to simulate the weight)...put on my walking clothes that I will be wearing and set off on a weighted training walk. Happily managed 8km and returned with no knee issues :)
I've been advised that any slight injuries will come back 10 fold on the camino!
7 weeks to go and I am aiming to make daily short hikes of around 10km and push it up to 30+km on weekends.
I found my new Merrel Moabs to be lighter and more breathable coupled with the 1000 mile double liner socks, compared to the Scarpa Leather boots and Darn Tough sock combo I have previously worn.
I was also chafe free with the new sports boxers :p
My craghoppers cotton shirt got extremely sweaty on the back (where my pack was) I'm still debating if I should wear this or a tech t-shirt.
Any advice / experience on the above is as always gratefully received.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Seems you are off to a good start, the only advice I can give you is to check your Camino training regime from time to time with your physiotherapist. Buen Camino, SY

I'm going to attempt returning to my local ParkRun at the weekend....but go for a light jog. My fitness has dropped rapidly and the stamina needs some increasing!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Gary,
You seem to be doing the sensible thing in building yourself up slowly I think taking it handy is the key. As for the tee shirt cotton is not ideal due to holding moisture close to the skin causing ire and chaffing. Have a good one;)

As Kieran points out above, cotton is last choice of material for shirts/pants/jackets/socks. Takes forever to dry. If you have never tried merino wool before, now is the time to discover these types of shirts. Otherwise, the "tech" type polyester material is preferred. Have nothing made of cotton in your possession (except the boxers!) when you set out on the Camino.

Good luck with the rehab, and Buen Camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I have not suffered any significant injuries for some time now, selling my motorbike helped on that I suppose. My ankles, knees, upper limbs, and lower back have however seen 55+ years of abuse are a worry for years now, my age perhaps doesn't help mucheither. I have found that training hikes combined with water calisthenics, running -jumping -skips and hops, leg and arm weights etc, under supervision in the neighborhood swimming pool (no impact strain on those bits recovering combined with greater exertion over a shorter time span) do wonders for me. The only tenfolds I have experienced on the Camino have been those of pure enjoyment!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Gary,
I prepared for my first Camino much the same as you are and it has served me well I think (4 weeks out of SJPdP).
The only thing I would advise is to make sure you include some strenuous uphill and off-road walking.
These two things really slowed me down and made my journey less pleasant.

Buen Camino,

-jgp

Just a couple of comments...
My biggest concern would be to get out on the path and fail due to injury.
I suggest that a bigger concern should be that you might injure yourself before even getting to Spain, and thus fail to have any experience of the Camino. :oops:
push it up to 30+km on weekends.
It is not necessary to walk 30+ km on the Camino Frances, so I think this is risky since you are rehabilitating from an injury. I have never walked 30+ km in training, and rarely do it on the Camino. If you get to that point, great, but it seems like an over-ambitious target. Also, how much does that giant bag of protein power weigh? Walking in the summer, you wouldn't need more than 6 kg of stuff.

Thanks for all the responses! The run went well and thought I "took it easy" I was only 2min away from my PB!!! I also went on a nice 22km hike yesterday through a mixture of paths / roads / fields with some fairly steep uphill climbs. The beauty of living in Shropshire!
I did however get chased by a couple of herds of cows.....hopefully something that wont happen on the camino :D

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back