• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sad Day. A very Sad Day.

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
A sad day, a very sad day. First days of May and our first heat wave is about to hit. Ran to the garden and picked the remaining leaves from my berza/couve/collard greens to make the last caldo verde/caldo gallego of the season. They don't like our arid heat. So here it went including the required bottle of Spanish wine to wash it down. Shalom from Jerusalem

Attachments

• 0ea5a433-360e-4136-827f-3a314f76c87e.jpg
    0ea5a433-360e-4136-827f-3a314f76c87e.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 30,795
  • 731444de-a2ad-4494-bc07-5fa7384f1e4c.jpg
    731444de-a2ad-4494-bc07-5fa7384f1e4c.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 585
  • b190b52b-2940-4122-b2ba-aaef7e9d2679.jpg
    b190b52b-2940-4122-b2ba-aaef7e9d2679.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 623
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

בתיאבון

I make membrillo and patxaran to give me a little taste of the Camino at home here in Wales. Thanks to a very kind peregrina here on the forum I also have Padron pepper seedlings growing now for a treat or two later in the year.
לחיים!
If only I could make aguardiente, life would be different! Aguardiente? Spanish firewater not for the faint-hearted or the meek in spirit!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
A sad day, a very sad day. First days of May and our first heat wave is about to hit. Ran to the garden and picked the remaining leaves from my berza/couve/collard greens to make the last caldo verde/caldo gallego of the season. They don't like our arid heat. So here it went including the required bottle of Spanish wine to wash it down. Shalom from JerusalemView attachment 146127View attachment 146129View attachment 146128
I love Tres Picos my go to wine!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A sad day, a very sad day. First days of May and our first heat wave is about to hit. Ran to the garden and picked the remaining leaves from my berza/couve/collard greens to make the last caldo verde/caldo gallego of the season. They don't like our arid heat. So here it went including the required bottle of Spanish wine to wash it down. Shalom from JerusalemView attachment 146127View attachment 146129View attachment 146128
Looks delicious! Nice Yerba mate gourd, by the way. Shalom from Florida, USA.😎

שלום וארוחה נעימה

Ok...so let me get this right: beautifully prepared meal from local sources washed down with a nice bottle of red wine (which is NOT a Manischewitz) ......
A Sad Day you say? ;):rolleyes:

שלום וארוחה נעימה

Ok...so let me get this right: beautifully prepared meal from local sources washed down with a nice bottle of red wine (which is NOT a Manischewitz) ......
A Sad Day you sad day. Just enough berza/couve leaves to help the plants pass the summer - cannot touch them!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Looks delicious! Nice Yerba mate gourd, by the way. Shalom from Florida, USA.😎
Born and raised in Tampa - left 50 years ago with no desire to return. Jerusalem is somehow, just a bit. slightly more interesting. My Yerba mate gourd? The newest one from Argentina best of the best.

Born and raised in Tampa - left 50 years ago with no desire to return. Jerusalem is somehow, just a bit. slightly more interesting. My Yerba mate gourd? The newest one from Argentina best of the best.

Born in Brooklyn, NY. Currently live in Boynton Beach, FL (Palm Beach County). Lived in Buenos Aires, Argentina for a year back in 2010/11. Loved my time there. In fact, if it weren’t for a young woman whom I met that year in Esquel, Argentina (Patagonia) who mentioned walking the Camino, I probably never would have walked my first Camino (Frances in 2013, followed by Portuguese in 2016). You never know where life takes you. 😎

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Born in Brooklyn, NY. Currently live in Boynton Beach, FL (Palm Beach County). Lived in Buenos Aires, Argentina for a year back in 2010/11. Loved my time there. In fact, if it weren’t for a young woman whom I met that year in Esquel, Argentina (Patagonia) who mentioned walking the Camino, I probably never would have walked my first Camino (Frances in 2013, followed by Portuguese in 2016). You never know where life takes you. 😎
I am a Jewish Pilgrim to Saint James, he was one of our boys after all. Retired and began reading medieval history, every arshhole and his brother was on their way to Santiago, died on their way to Santiago, and somehow returned from Santiago. I can do this. The first time walked from Pamplona, missed the last bus to SJPP. Amazing! Walked from Le Puy my favorite, from Vezelay, later from SJPP, and from Barcelona! WTF! A Jew on the Camino??? 180-200 Israelis finish off in SdC every year. Always attend pilgrims mass wherever I may be - the priest always asks where we all are from - my answer - 'A Jew from Jerusalem' and they are flabbergasted!!!

I am a Jewish Pilgrim to Saint James, he was one of our boys after all.
Well... if we gonna go THAT route - Jesus is "one of our boys" as well (after all! ;))
I am of a Jewish descent so I can relate
And I always tell people this little ditty (a Hallmark card wisdom if you will)
Roses are Red
Violets - Bluish
If it wasn't for Christmas
We ALL would be Jewish

On a bit of a serious note - to those who like to start arguments with me about the whole Jewish\Christian thing I usually reply that Bible-wise "in order to be a good Christian one must be AN EXAMPLARY Jew"
As anything else in life - some get it some dont.

Buen Camino and a Hearty SHALOM! and one of these days....in JERUSALEM!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

בתיאבון

I make membrillo and patxaran to give me a little taste of the Camino at home here in Wales. Thanks to a very kind peregrina here on the forum I also have Padron pepper seedlings growing now for a treat or two later in the year.
My Pimiento de Padron plants have flowers with small peppers, and we have two bottles of homemade Spanish vermut aging. They both should be ready in a few weeks! 🥾
🫑🌶️🍷

בתיאבון

How do you make Patxaran?!

How do you make Patxaran?!
Anisette isn't all that easy to buy near me so I use vodka and star anise. The colour and most of the flavour come from sloes - the fruit of the blackthorn bush which is a very sour wild plum. First find your sloes in the autumn. Fill a litre bottle or mason jar about 1/4 full of ripe sloes which have been washed and pricked with a fork. Add a couple of cm of cinnamon stick and half a dozen coffee beans. I sometimes add about 1/4 of a tea bag worth of camomile. Finally add half a dozen star anise pods. Top up the jar to the brim with vodka and put it somewhere dark for 2 or 3 months until it takes on a deep red colour from the sloes. Then strain and filter the flavoured vodka. Add sugar to the degree of sweetness you prefer.

PS: Do not leave the sloes in the alcohol for more than three months. It will probably become quite bitter and astringent if left too long. A good rough guide is to start the infusion in October and start drinking the stuff at Christmas... :)

Last edited:
Anisette isn't all that easy to buy near me so I use vodka and star anise. The colour and most of the flavour come from sloes - the fruit of the blackthorn bush which is a very sour wild plum. First find your sloes in the autumn. Fill a litre bottle or mason jar about 1/4 full of ripe sloes which have been washed and pricked with a fork. Add a couple of cm of cinnamon stick and half a dozen coffee beans. I sometimes add about 1/4 of a tea bag worth of camomile. Finally add half a dozen star anise pods. Top up the jar to the brim with vodka and put it somewhere dark for 2 or 3 months until it takes on a deep red colour from the sloes. Then strain and filter the flavoured vodka. Add sugar to the degree of sweetness you prefer.

PS: Do not leave the sloes in the alcohol for more than three months. It will probably become quite bitter and astringent if left too long. A good rough guide is to start the infusion in October and start drinking the stuff at Christmas... :)
Thank you, Bradypus: will try for homemade Patxaran this year!
Eskerrik asko! (Thank you, in the Basque language.)

That’s amazing - I’m doing it - love paxaran :)

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back