• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Salamanca Rest Day: Your tips

Corned Beef

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2024 Portuguese/ VF (South) / VF Grand St Bernard
Planning the second part of the VDLP in a couple of months and find I have time for a rest day in Salamanca. Have been using this thread for planning (and what a good idea it was. Must do it again)

As well as the roof top tours and the gardens, what other places can I squeeze into a day there?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You could go to the Convent of the Dominicans, it is nice. Bartolome de las Casas came from there before going to South America. In a famous book he wrote for the first time about the mistreatment of the indigenous population. (In the convent i did not see anything relating to him though some references to the connections with south america are present) I remember the mirrors placed on the floor, so you could more easily look at the ceilings

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have time for a rest day in Salamanca
I hate to hijack a thread but I wondered about the name Salamaca, there is a market in Tasmania Australia with that name so I Googled. Result -
Salamanca was named after the Battle of Salamanca (Spain), a victory won by the Duke of Wellington during the Napoleonic wars. It was also the home of Salamanca Quarry, later to become Salamanca Square. Just sharing. Enjoy

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Have tapas in the Calle de Van Dijck. North of the towncenter. We got this tip in the albergue. Almost only locals.

Planning the second part of the VDLP in a couple of months and find I have time for a rest day in Salamanca. Have been using this thread for planning (and what a good idea it was. Must do it again)

As well as the roof top tours and the gardens, what other places can I squeeze into a day there?
That’s a goo choice , friendly and beautiful square

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Extracts from my journal (I started in Sevilla) Oct 2022.
“Salamanca is a wonderful and beautiful small city - I loved my time there.
How did my second day go….
My Hostal Santa Monica was excellent but didn’t open until 12 noon so I left my pack at the albergue … after I begged and sweet talked the hospitalaro - not his normal practice.
So back-pack freeI I set off for Decathlon - a delightful 45 minute walk through ordinary Salamanca in slight drizzly rain.
At Decathlon, I talked through the issues with English speaking Rodrigues (rain gear, merino layers, Spanish attitudes to rain😂).
On the way back I walked past a Convent that was recommended for a visit. They had a display about a nun/ saint - Teresa Chikaba. Her story is amazing and the displays evoked the pain and suffering she went through in her journey from slave to saint.
In the afternoon I went to the two cathedrals. They are right beside each other. I was most moved by the older one with the remains of painted walls and many sarcophaguses - whether they contained saints or just wealthy benefactors I don’t know.
The highlight of my site seeing day was the exposition - The Mystery Man - in the newer cathedral. This is really more like an art installation asking the question - who was the man we call Jesus. All the information and audio guide is only in Spanish at the moment, but the experience was so visceral that I was moved to tears. Truly unexpected and amazing. If this ever comes to Sydney it is a must.
I finished the day with some pampering and self care - a hair appointment with the lovely Alexandra just 600 metres from my hostel.
I also strolled the garden beside the albergue, the plaza major, had some great food and got a great report from other pilgrims about the art nouveau museum.”
Gronze has a good list of things to see and do. I don’t usually explore in this way but randomly did most of the list without even trying.
Enjoy!

I loved Salamanca! Of course, see the cathedral complex, and do the rooftop tour! Also, there is the Casa de las Conchas, with scallop shells all over it. Go see the famous University, find the frog in the University Square, and see the Cielo de Salamanca. If you'd like to see photos and for even more information, my website will help you. Enjoy! https://www.pilgrimagetraveler.com/salamanca.html

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I loved Salamanca! Of course, see the cathedral complex, and do the rooftop tour! Also, there is the Casa de las Conchas, with scallop shells all over it. Go see the famous University, find the frog in the University Square, and see the Cielo de Salamanca. If you'd like to see photos and for even more information, my website will help you. Enjoy! https://www.pilgrimagetraveler.com/salamanca.html

That's a comprehensive guide to Salamanca, thanks. Great photos too.

Spend some time looking for the carving of the astronaut which is located on the external wall of the Cathedral of Salamanca. Both myself and the late Carmen Garcia spent about an hour looking for it without success. Thankfully a couple of local kids pointed it out to us.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On my rest day in Salamanca recently.........Apart from the Cathedral, a haircut, some laundry.......I have to confess I did not get far beyond the Plaza Mayor with its fantastic buildings, countless cafes, people watching, buskers.....

Good choice for a rest day. I've spent a lot of time in Salamanca learning Spanish. Highlights for me include Casa Lis (the art deco museum), Huerto de Calixto y Melibea (the gardens next to the albergue), el Palacio de Monterrey, the museum of commerce and industry, the Plaza Mayor and nearby food market, and the various cathedrals and archaeological history sites. Tours of the university library, the house museum of Unamuno and visiting the library at the Casa de las Conchas are also interesting. I also enjoyed walking along the river, visiting the motor museum, the museum of modern art and el Parque de los Jesuitas. There are plenty of good restaurants and cafes, and a lot of cultural activities during Summer as well. Highly recommend having a look at this website for more ideas https://salamancaymas.es

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The University is not to be missed but last summer (mid-June) the number of rooms, etc. open to visitors was quite limited. Try to find a tour, a guide or a self-guided tours of one of Spain's oldest and esteemed Universities. The small streets surrounding the University are often filled with students taking Spanish language lessons at one of the many las escuelas por extranjeros. Your bound to meet a new friend here ...
DYK - Salamanca has two Cathedrals (the old and the new) - one ticket to visit them both.
St. Stephens is nearby and beautifully preserved. Cookies (yemas?) from the convent across the street are tasty but we enjoyed talking with the Sister (not cloistered) who was not busy and seem to enjoy kibitzing with a couple of tourists (we were NOT walking the VdlP).
Lastly, the Plaza Mayor is a terrific spot to soak the vibes of Salamanca.

An evening meal in the Plaza Mayor,. Especially good restaurant in the Plaza with your back to the cathedral on the right hand side! Sorry can't remember the name but food, service and price were really good.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back