• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sampler ideas

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2016, 2022, 2023, 2024, planned 2025
Preparing for our first 4 hour session with students I am taking on a short winter Camino. The first, still- at- home session will go over the course syllabus (2 credit university course), topics for the individual assignments, a pre-camino self well-being assessment, brief Camino history, discussion of pilgrimage as a self-care initiative, and a sampler of possible pilgrim eats.

I will make tortilla (one with, one without onion), maybe one of those less sweet Spanish style cheesecakes, and what else can you think of? We are walking strictly in Galicia, so maybe Caldo Gallego? I won't have access to things like pulpo or Serano ham.

Here's today's tortilla attempt. Haven't made one since last winter and I think I used a little too much oil. I am sure Phil will comment later after a little piece of it.
20231022_080819.jpg

There is a second session to go over another 4 hours of things that will include safety.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Tarta de Santiago would work too unless you worry about nut allergies. I bought a stencil to use for the cross in Santiago, but before I had it, I had drawn my own cardboard facsimile and just sprinkled the sugar over it.

I’ve never met anyone who doesn’t love Caldo Gallego, so that’s a good choice too, I think.

And I think that looks like a very decent tortilla!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have the Santiago cake stencils so that's another idea. I do have one student with a walnut allergy, but she did not say anything about almonds. Phil also likes cream cheese and Quince jelly although I am not a fan.

This all needs to be something I can make the night before and then transport to school. Caldo G. I can put in a crock pot. I love patatas bravas, but they aren't that great unless they are hot and fresh. I can heat the tortilla in a microwave as we have one at school.

Hi Jan, honestly, the tortilla, caldo, and torta should be bastante! Don’t forget the bread…they’ll likely be served a lot of that…😉. If you want get ambitious and make something you can easily transport, perhaps an empanada gallega de atún? Disfruta!

Hi Jan, honestly, the tortilla, caldo, and torta should be bastante! Don’t forget the bread…they’ll likely be served a lot of that…😉. If you want get ambitious and make something you can easily transport, perhaps an empanada gallega de atún? Disfruta!
Have not yet mastered the empanada, but maybe that's coming when I retire in Spring '24. Honestly some of the recipes I get from the cooking section of the Galicia newspaper La Voz. Easy and tasty.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
20231022_115002.jpg
Ok, here's the apple cheesecake thing I made from the newspaper recipe. Taking it to a gathering this afternoon. It may be the last opportunity to have drinks and snacks on a back patio this season. It's mild for Wyoming this weekend! I had some similar pastries in Spain although I don't think Apple was a choice.

I may just make the Santiago cake for the students so thanks for that @peregrina2000 . Will have to source the almond flour as I don't have a blender and I have not seen it here in town where I shop. Maybe Walmart though? Hate going there but maybe I will send Phil on a weekday morning.

Will have to source the almond flour as I don't have a blender and I have not seen it here in town where I shop. Maybe Walmart though?
Walmart does carry almond flour. You can probably order it and skip the trip to the store.

I have made my own almond meal/flour, but I don't recommend it as it's very labor intensive!

View attachment 159031
Ok, here's the apple cheesecake thing I made from the newspaper recipe. Taking it to a gathering this afternoon. It may be the last opportunity to have drinks and snacks on a back patio this season. It's mild for Wyoming this weekend! I had some similar pastries in Spain although I don't think Apple was a choice.

I may just make the Santiago cake for the students so thanks for that @peregrina2000 . Will have to source the almond flour as I don't have a blender and I have not seen it here in town where I shop. Maybe Walmart though? Hate going there but maybe I will send Phil on a weekday morning.
I have always brought back marcona almond flour when we have traveled, but recently I have found almond flour in both Walmart and Sam's club- not sure why it has become so more common. Grinding almonds in a blender can turn out terrible if you are not really careful. While I prefer the almonds from Spain for a tarta, the almond flour in the US is a good substitute, and sometimes results in a lighter cake. Either way- enjoy!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Preparing for our first 4 hour session with students I am taking on a short winter Camino. The first, still- at- home session will go over the course syllabus (2 credit university course), topics for the individual assignments, a pre-camino self well-being assessment, brief Camino history, discussion of pilgrimage as a self-care initiative, and a sampler of possible pilgrim eats.

I will make tortilla (one with, one without onion), maybe one of those less sweet Spanish style cheesecakes, and what else can you think of? We are walking strictly in Galicia, so maybe Caldo Gallego? I won't have access to things like pulpo or Serano ham.

Here's today's tortilla attempt. Haven't made one since last winter and I think I used a little too much oil. I am sure Phil will comment later after a little piece of it.
View attachment 159015

There is a second session to go over another 4 hours of things that will include safety.
When Ive had Camino evenings, I've served Tortilla, a dessert, tino de Verana (everyone has heard of Sangria but chilled red wine isnt common here).
And I also do ensalada mixta, with the iceberg lettuce, corn, asparagus and tuna (very different to what we have here too)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have the Santiago cake stencils so that's another idea. I do have one student with a walnut allergy, but she did not say anything about almonds. Phil also likes cream cheese and Quince jelly although I am not a fan.

This all needs to be something I can make the night before and then transport to school. Caldo G. I can put in a crock pot. I love patatas bravas, but they aren't that great unless they are hot and fresh. I can heat the tortilla in a microwave as we have one at school.
I second albondigas- a crockpot to reheat will work just fine! (And who doesn't like meatballs - some gravy, some bread.....)

The apple cheesecake thing was pretty good and it was super easy with a frozen puff pastry as the crust.

One frozen puff pastry crust
One package of cream cheese
1 egg
2 tablespoons of sugar
2 apples
A tablespoon of apple jelly
Sliced almonds

Roll the pasty out on a baking sheet on a piece of parchment. Mix cream cheese, egg, and 1 Tbs of sugar into a smooth cream and smooth it onto the pastry crust. Peel and slice the apples thinly and lay like shingles on the cream cheese. (You can prepare the apples ahead and leave soaking in some water with a little lemon juice to prevent from turning brown.) Sprinkle apples with remaining sugar and bake at 400 degrees F until the pastry puffs and turns brown . Remove from oven. Paint the apples with a glaze of apple jelly mixed with a small amount of water (heat water and jelly in the microwave and mix until smooth). Sprinkle with almonds. Put on a cooling rack . Eat warm or chill and serve later.

Okay, I've tried both the tortilla and the apple cheesecake (I ate more than just one piece of the cheesecake). They are both good. Students will probably like both. Although the tortilla may be somewhat strange for them. After a few days on the Camino, they will come to really enjoy a piece of tortilla.

My problem is that I enjoy the food in Spain available on the Camino. While I enjoy the food, I normally lose weight while there. Must be the wonderful company of perigrinos and the fresh air.

Phil

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Tarta de Santiago would work too unless you worry about nut allergies. I bought a stencil to use for the cross in Santiago, but before I had it, I had drawn my own cardboard facsimile and just sprinkled the sugar over it.

I’ve never met anyone who doesn’t love Caldo Gallego, so that’s a good choice too, I think.

And I think that looks like a very decent tortilla!
Ummm . . . caldo Gallego is usually made with some kind of meat, such as chorizo and ham . . . Delicious, but not vegetarian.

None of the students in this group have any food preferences or restrictions except one is allergic to walnuts. I've already checked. We are going to try to cook some community dinners in places where there will be kitchens and in other places we'll be eating out. I have picked out some less expensive places in Santiago and one in Madrid that I can either direct them to if they are out on their own for the day or that we could go to together.

I do hope there will be a few other pilgrims for us to mingle and eat with at this time of year. Just in case, I am going to make sure everyone has at least one packet of dry soup/ramen and I am having them carry some kind of vessel (cup or covered bowl). It will be the holiday week between New Year's Eve and Jan 6 while we are walking so I expect more places will be closed than even normal. I do know many of the usual places that are slammed in the summer will be closed.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
... recently I have found almond flour in both Walmart and Sam's club- not sure why it has become so more common....
Probably because of the increase in people looking for gluten free flour.
Also because it's a pantry staple for the keto diet.

PS: Jan, I think your tortilla looks nummy num num. 🤤

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If it were a sampler for a summer Camino I would suggest gazpacho. Easy to make and transport and doesn't require heating. But I'm not so sure they are likely to encounter it on a winter Camino.

Champiñones al Ajillo?

View attachment 159031
I chose the apple cheesecake as my dessert option on the menu del dia I had in Madrid two days ago. It was delicious and looked very much like the one you made but there were no almonds on top...yum! I think your recipe will be a winner.🙂

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.