• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

San Jose CA to where?

Mark61

Time of past OR future Camino
4/16/18 start 5/18/18 finish
What's the best route from San Jose to walk the 'French Way'? Best airport to fly into? Train or bus to start line?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Mark,

I assume you want to start in SJPdP.
Look into Norwegian from Oakland to London Heathrow, direct flight for approx. 200€ around your dates.
And then LHR to Biarritz for even less €. Hours are compatible.

Buen Camino!

Yes. So, if I fly in to SJPdP, Once I reach Santiago do I get a train back to SJPdP?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes. So, if I fly in to SJPdP, Once I reach Santiago do I get a train back to SJPdP?
There would be no reason to return to SJPDP. You can fly, train or bus to a major airport from Santiago. I recommend using Rome2Rio.com to look for options.

Norwegian Air out of Oakland is definitely your friend! You can by separate one-way tickets so you don't have to backtrack once you finish in Santiago.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Mark, the closest airport to SJPdP is Biarritz. From there you take bus (half an hour) to Bayonne train station and then train takes you to SJPdP.
From Spain the Norwegian Air has similar prices back to Oakland from Barcelona. Again direct flights, no hassle. You can take train from Santiago to Barcelona or flight if you'll be in a hurry.

how far from Barcelona to SJPdP? Would it make sense to fly Oakland to Barcelona and train to Bayonne then bus to SJPdP?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
how far from Barcelona to SJPdP? Would it make sense to fly Oakland to Barcelona and train to Bayonne then bus to SJPdP?
As Trecile mentioned Barcelona - Pamplona with train and bus to SJPdP is another option which is due to "last minute" booking (did you removed your dates from OP?) even cheaper. Barcelona - Pamplona train tickets are in range from 30 - 70€ depends on time of day, time of travel/type of train etc. You can check them here: www.renfe.com
The only thing is that bus from Pamplona to SJPdP runs only in season but I don't know exact dates.

But if you would book OAK - LHR - BIQ flights half a year in advance it could be cheaper and less time consuming especially if you would have to taxi from Pamplona to SJPdP.

All considered, it looks like Oak-Barcelona; train or bus to Pamplona, then bus or taxi to SJPDP is the best option. Then, Santiago-Barcelona-Oak. I didn't see a BIQ option with Norwegian.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Also, should I get my passport before trip, or is it better to wait until I arrive at SJPdP?

The forum responses to this are spot-on! I am flying Oakland to Barcelona in April if you’d like to PM me for more advice.

As for the passport, the American Pilgrims on the Camino provided mine with about a two week turnaround. It’s free, but they accept donations to cover their costs. Having it in-hand allows you more flexibility on WHEN and WHERE you start - you may decide not to start in SJPP or perhaps you arrive/leave when the tourist office is closed, etc. it takes five minutes online to get it mailed to you, plus it makes all your planning “real” once you have it!

Buen Camino!

All considered, it looks like Oak-Barcelona; train or bus to Pamplona, then bus or taxi to SJPDP is the best option. Then, Santiago-Barcelona-Oak. I didn't see a BIQ option with Norwegian.
It looks like Pamplona - SJPdP bus starts on March 3rd. There are two daily (14:30, 17:30, takes approx.1,5h) and the cost is 22€. http://www.conda.es/ or https://www.alsa.com/en/web/bus/home

EDIT: you better check for yourself because on March 3rd there's only one bus, In April there are two,... Obviously they add buses as the main season is coming.

I mentioned BIQ (Biarritz) only if you would fly to UK although Iberia has flights from Madrid to Biarritz. Many options here and the prices depends how much in advance you make your bookings but I think you know your way now :)

€83,-
BTW, Norwegian Air has significant size/weight restrictions on your carry-on bag if you choose the cheapest ticket. My 40liter backpack just fits, which is great since it limits what I plan to carry on the walk! As a big guy, it has enough space for two of everything (shirts, socks, shirts, etc)

Also note that food is extra on Norwegian, so plan accordingly.

€83,-
Thanks for the info, I'm not too excited with airline food, so I always bring my own!
I need to look up 40 liter to see.

As Trecile mentioned Barcelona - Pamplona with train and bus to SJPdP is another option which is due to "last minute" booking (did you removed your dates from OP?) even cheaper. Barcelona - Pamplona train tickets are in range from 30 - 70€ depends on time of day, time of travel/type of train etc. You can check them here: www.renfe.com
The only thing is that bus from Pamplona to SJPdP runs only in season but I don't know exact dates.

But if you would book OAK - LHR - BIQ flights half a year in advance it could be cheaper and less time consuming especially if you would have to taxi from Pamplona to SJPdP.

I'm seeing transportation from Barcelona to Pamplona with airlines. Anybody ever fly there? I want to get a train. Thoughts?

The forum responses to this are spot-on! I am flying Oakland to Barcelona in April if you’d like to PM me for more advice.

As for the passport, the American Pilgrims on the Camino provided mine with about a two week turnaround. It’s free, but they accept donations to cover their costs. Having it in-hand allows you more flexibility on WHEN and WHERE you start - you may decide not to start in SJPP or perhaps you arrive/leave when the tourist office is closed, etc. it takes five minutes online to get it mailed to you, plus it makes all your planning “real” once you have it!

Buen Camino!
Vacajoe, thanks for the info. I'm leaving 4/9 out of Oakland. Is the train at the Barcelona airport? Should I buy train ticket in advance, or wait until I arrive?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There are so many options! Use www.rome2rio.com (website or smartphone app!) to plan your route from Barcelona to your starting point (Pamplona? SJPP? Huesca?). Trains, busses, or planes are all options.

I’d suggest a day or two in Barcelona to get over jet lag, then train from the downtown station. Personally, we are taking a short train ride to Montserrat to stay at the monastery there, then walking the Camino Catalan a bit, then bussing to the Camino Aragones in Jaca. After six days on that, it meets up with the Camino Frances and we follow that to Santiago.

In short, your options are limitless. You can PM for specifics.

I've flown out of Portland or Fresno nearly every year since 2006.

I have flown pretty much every way possible.

For me, the EASIEST and least expensive is to fly in and out of Madrid. From madrid I walk out of the airport and onto a bus (€28) that takes me to Pamplona, where I rest for a couple of days and see the city. Then I catch a €20 bus to SJPP. Coming home, this year I caught a Ryanair flight (€38) back to Madrid where I'll catch my flight home.

You can also catch a bus directly from the Madrid airport to SJPP during camino season, though I like going to Pamplona first. That way when the rest of the world is stopping in Pamplona on their way back through, I've seen it and can stop at Trinidad de Arre or further up the trail and avoid the WAVE of pilgrims.

Buying a train ticket ahead of time CAN save some money, but it also puts a time restriction on your travel plans. You need to balance that savings against possible flight delays, jet lag, wanting to stay an extra day in Barcelona, etc. I guess it comes down to whether you are a traveler who likes a set itenerrary or is willing to somewhat wing it.

Rome2Rio will provide the train company links and you can compare the cost savings of buying a next-day ticket with a 3 week advance ticket.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Great discussion on Barcelona to Pamplona travel can be found on the “traveling to/from the Camino” forum

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings fellow travelers, I am hoping to do my first international trip at 57 and solo to walk the Camino Primitivo in mid-July. I want to book the trip through either Santiago Ways or Camino...
I'll be volunteering in Santiago July 01- July 15 this year with the Camino Companions who offer services for the English speaking pilgrims, announcements at mass, English Mass at the Pilgrim's...
Hi my name is Bryce (Australian) and I’m doing the Camino Frances starting September 15. My wife is 57 years old and was born without her left thigh bone. She can wear a prosthetic leg for very...
Hi everyone, I was just listening to Ivar's last video and he mentioned Ed Sheeran. So fyi: a heads up. Ed Sheeran will be doing a concert at Monte de Gozo on July 6th this year. Expect there to...
Hello✨✨✨✨ I ve just finished my thirty-day walk from San Sebastian and it’s a weird feeling I m going through , a mix of sadness and solitude. I kept afar Icts in the past few days to « see » and...
June 16, @Walkwest, Asturias airport

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back