• Some parts of the forum are not loading as they should. We are working on it.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Santa María de Figueiras

Bert45

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2003, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2018, 2019
After much searching, the location of the church where Jost (or Joost) rang the bell in the film (or movie) "The Way" was found to be the church of Santa María de Figueiras, not on The Way at all, but only 5 km from the cathedral in Santiago. I walked there two days after finishing my camino. I took some photos, two of which I have attached. They show the top of the cruceiro under which Jack (James Nesbitt) sat. Both sides of the cross are covered by black growths of some sort. Is it lichen? I've never seen anything like it. Yes, I rang the bell.1-DSCN0786.JPG2-DSCN0787.JPG

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks to those who have answered. Is it strange that the lichen has grown all over the crucifix but has not grown on the pillar below?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks to those who have answered. Is it strange that the lichen has grown all over the crucifix but has not grown on the pillar below?
Lichens are sensitive souls. Most of them require precise combinations of moisture, airflow and substrate whether acidic or alkaline. Might be that the pillar is made of a different rock

It could be a variety of rock tripe. Its Wikipedia article starts out this way:

Rock tripe is the common name for various lichens of the genus Umbilicaria that grow on rocks. They are widely distributed, including on bare rock in Antarctica, and throughout northern parts of North America such as New England and the Rocky Mountains. They are edible when properly prepared;

The lichen in the picture looks to me somewhat like Umbilicaria mammulata but Wikipedia's article for that lichen doesn't have Galicia in its range.

I'm afraid it's just guesswork until someone gets a sample and puts it under a microscope or gets its DNA. Thanks for the suggestions.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Back