• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago Airport-trekking poles and checked bags

Quinranda

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2016)
Sorry if this has been asked 1,000,000,000 times but...I am booking a flight from Santiago back to Madrid before my return flight home. Do ALL airlines out of Santiago require collapsible trekking poles to be checked baggage? I am traveling with my daughter and hoping that if we HAVE to check our poles, we can at least only check one backpack, not two. I'm comparing the cost of the airlines and Ryan seems cheap until all the add-ons.
Thanks in advance!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It's not the airlines making these decisions, nor the airport. The ICAO made rules and regulations, published by IATA, are valid for all of civil aviation.
Of course different employees may still eventually imply slightly different rules.
But metal poles are considered a potential threat and not allowed in carry-on luggage.

It's not the airlines making these decisions, nor the airport. The ICAO made rules and regulations, published by IATA, are valid for all of civil aviation.
Of course different employees may still eventually imply slightly different rules.
But metal poles are considered a potential threat and not allowed in carry-on luggage.
So my question is if I should definitely prepay for one checked bag from Santiago and put both sets of poles in it? It's much cheaper to prepay than to pay at the airport.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
So my question is if I should definitely prepay for one checked bag from Santiago and put both sets of poles in it? It's much cheaper to prepay than to pay at the airport.

Hi, Quinranda,
I always check my poles for the trip home from Santiago. My experience is that there is an iron-clad prohibition against carrying on hiking poles. Yes, you should definitely prepay for one checked bag if it's cheaper to do ahead of time. Buen camino, Laurie

I agree with peregrina2000. On my flight out of Santiago last year, there were heaps of abandoned trekking poles at the RyanAir boarding gate. It makes sense to check the trekking poles in.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just returned from Santiago on Iberia. I only had my backpack as carry on luggage. I gave them my trekking pole at check in and carried on my pack. There was no charge for my pole and it made its way from Santiago to Madrid and on to Los Angeles. Picked it up there in baggage claim. No charge and no problem.

This is a conundrum that has bugged me for ages! Yes, Santiago airport security tell you that poles go free in the hold, but I've never been told that by the airlines beforehand! I have seen taped poles arrive on the baggage carousel from my flights to Dublin. (On my outward flight, I never have a problem with the poles taken-apart in my backpack, in the cabin.) It's interesting that the same 'allowance' may apply to flights to the US, so why don't the airlines tell us so that we can check the poles in before going through airport security??? (Or maybe they do say so, if one knows to ask?)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I took a train to Madrid. Flew out of Madrid, straight to Panama on Iberia. I had my poles attached to my backpack, and my backpack went on the plane with me. My poles were no problem, but my 6 oz. of sun screen was confiscated. I guess sunscreen is more dangerous.

Quintana, the requirement to check poles at Santiago is by security. We wouldn't like you to loose your poles, so specifically you need to know will Ryanair check your poles free of charge.
I suspect the only way to get answer is for someone to ask at Ryanair desk in Santiago. I may be there in July.
When poles are in your carry on bag only security know it, not the airline. (Travelling to US may be different if pre clearance is in operation, as carry on bags are screened also in US controlled area of airport.)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
A little off topic, but last week flying back to Madrid from Santiago, my wife forgot to place the three pocket knives we purchased in checked bag. Security caught them, but allowed her to take on the plane. I was shocked, but I guess it is at their discretion.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
... I am traveling with my daughter and hoping that if we HAVE to check our poles, we can at least only check one backpack, not two. I'm comparing the cost of the airlines and Ryan seems cheap until all the add-ons.
Thanks in advance!

Easy solution, pack everything that could be a problem in one bag and check that in, pack all the other things in the other bag. Buen Camino, SY

Sorry if this has been asked 1,000,000,000 times but...I am booking a flight from Santiago back to Madrid before my return flight home. Do ALL airlines out of Santiago require collapsible trekking poles to be checked baggage? I am traveling with my daughter and hoping that if we HAVE to check our poles, we can at least only check one backpack, not two. I'm comparing the cost of the airlines and Ryan seems cheap until all the add-ons.
Thanks in advance!

Aena manages all airports in Spain. Here is a list of stuff prohibited by EU law as hand luggage. (the airlines have no say).
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/aeropuertos/en/Page/1048753077970/

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is a conundrum that has bugged me for ages! Yes, Santiago airport security tell you that poles go free in the hold, but I've never been told that by the airlines beforehand! I have seen taped poles arrive on the baggage carousel from my flights to Dublin. (On my outward flight, I never have a problem with the poles taken-apart in my backpack, in the cabin.) It's interesting that the same 'allowance' may apply to flights to the US, so why don't the airlines tell us so that we can check the poles in before going through airport security??? (Or maybe they do say so, if one knows to ask?)

That's because you are expected to be responsible enough to find the list and check it. The very fact that you are asking the question means that you know the poles could be used as a weapon ... so why be stupid about it?

Here in canuckstan there was serious discussion about laying criminal charges for people who show up at security with a bottle of water.

So another question...is it easy/possible to just mail poles back to USA from Santiago? Would this be cheaper than a $40 bag fee? And would it be reliable? thanks again

So another question...is it easy/possible to just mail poles back to USA from Santiago? Would this be cheaper than a $40 bag fee? And would it be reliable? thanks again

Its reliable. I've mailed excess gear home.

The larger problem is the post office in your country. Mine sent back a package to Argentina after I had not picked it up in the two week period allowed ... and I wasn't home from my trip. You need to make arrangements with the post office before you leave apparently.

Here is Correos España website where you can get costs.
http://www.correos.es/ss/Satellite/site/pagina-inicio/info

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back