• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago and Finisterre Accomodations

susan1971

Time of past OR future Camino
My husband will be hiking the Camino in May/June of 2016. I will be going to Spain for the last week of his hike. Where is the best/safest place to stay for that week?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Welcome Susan!

I spent quite a few days in Santiago in September and October this year and always felt safe. This included quite a few time being out walking across town hours after dark. I mostly stayed at Roots and Boots (albergue) and would be happy to stay there again. I'm sure there are many other wonderful places to stay too.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
My husband will be hiking the Camino in May/June of 2016. I will be going to Spain for the last week of his hike. Where is the best/safest place to stay for that week?/
Hi Susan.
There are alot of accomodations on this leg of the Camino Finisterre, private and commercials.
Have a look here.
Buen Camino
Jochen

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Welcome Susan!

I spent quite a few days in Santiago in September and October this year and always felt safe. This included quite a few time being out walking across town hours after dark. I mostly stayed at Roots and Boots (albergue) and would be happy to stay there again. I'm sure there are many other wonderful places to stay too.
Hi Mike I met you at Corazon Puro the night before your Camino. You seem to have travelled well with that timeframe. Congratulations.
You mention that you mostly stayed at Roots and Boots. Was it a municipal alburgue, therefore only allowing one night at a time? Just asking for the future.

Hi, it is good to hear from you. I hope your Camino went well too!

It is not a municipal and I stayed there twice for two nights each time.

Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

Mike

Hi @susan1971. It isn't clear from your post whether you are simply planning to meet your husband at the end of his Camino or whether you plan to walk with him from Santiago to Fisterra. If you are wondering about your personal safety in Santiago while waiting for your husband then all I can say is that Santiago is a cosmopolitan city that probably receives a million tourists every year. 250,000 of those will be pilgrims who have walked at least some of the Camino paths. You will be at risk from the usual street artists and blaggers full of sob stories of lost passports, wallets etc but you will be most at risk from Pilgrims. They will look so happy, so relaxed, so joyful that you will be tempted to join them. At that point you are in danger of becoming a pilgrim too. Walking to Santiago forever.

On a slightly more serious note - there is a wealth of accommodation in Santiago and Booking.com is as good a place as any to search. Though the search facility on this Forum might lead you to some more interesting locations. In Fisterra choices are more limited but the hazards are no greater.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, it is good to hear from you. I hope your Camino went well too!

It is not a municipal and I stayed there twice for two nights each time.

Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

Mike
Thanks Mike

My husband will be hiking the Camino in May/June of 2016. I will be going to Spain for the last week of his hike. Where is the best/safest place to stay for that week?
The Hospederia San Martino Pinario is a great place to stay in Santiago. They have a special rate for pilgrims too. Unfortunately, we relied on the Brierly book and it doesn't say anything about a special rate so we paid quite a bit more, having reserved a room in advance!

The Hospederia San Martino Pinario is a great place to stay in Santiago. They have a special rate for pilgrims too. Unfortunately, we relied on the Brierly book and it doesn't say anything about a special rate so we paid quite a bit more, having reserved a room in advance!

I agree that it is a great place to stay. I have stayed in both the pilgrim rooms and the tourist rooms. The pilgrim rooms are on the top level and are very basic but perfectly acceptable. The tourist rooms are of a much higher standard.

You do not have to be a a compostela qualified pilgrim to stay in the pilgrim rooms. It is not a special rate for pilgrims, but a cheaper rate for a lower standard room. I found this out when my wife booked on the web: she was asked which type of room she wanted, not whether she was a pilgrim.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Staying at Hosperia San Martino was one of my favorites. Comfy beds with duvets, hot shower, huge fluffy towel, and a great breakfast buffet, all for 23 €. Nice and quiet here, and after the night before in the Azabache Albergue, where the partying in the street went on until 03:00, it was fabulous to actually get some sleep.

Book ahead though as they are often fully booked. Loved the dining room here.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back