• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago to Paris (CDG)... HELP!!!

Stellaluna

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances -2016
Portuguese -2019
Le Puy - July 2022
I have to be at CDG at 15:30 on August 9 to fly back to Canada and was hoping to NOT have to spend the night before in Paris. I had seen morning flights out of Santiago on Veuling on line but now see only afternoon flights. Hmmmmm??? So it seems that I might have to do an overnight in Paris after all!?!
Does anyone have any other ideas?
Thanks,
Jennifer

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You could fly to Paris from Vigo rather than Santiago. There's an Iberia flight at 0945 via Barcelona. Arrives at CDG at 1400. 90 minutes should be enough time for a transfer though you might want to confirm that with your airline.

An alternative would be the 0645 Ryanair flight from Santiago to Madrid. 2 hours to transfer. Then Air France 10:10 to CDG, arriving at 12:15.

Just found these through Kayak.com. Fares for both around £90 which I believe is roughly CDN$ 170.

Last edited:
You could fly to Paris from Vigo rather than Santiago. There's an Iberia flight at 0945 via Barcelona. Arrives at CDG at 1400. 90 minutes should be enough time for a transfer though you might want to confirm that with your airline.
Is Vigo close to Santiago?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
About 90 minutes by train. If that option appeals your best bet would be to spend your last night in Vigo rather than Santiago.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have to be at CDG at 15:30 on August 9 to fly back to Canada and was hoping to NOT have to spend the night before in Paris. I had seen morning flights out of Santiago on Veuling on line but now see only afternoon flights. Hmmmmm??? So it seems that I might have to do an overnight in Paris after all!?!
Thanks,
Jennifer

You need to be at the airport 2 or 3 hours prior to departure.

There is no reliable way to get from Santiago to Paris in time.

The only other option is to find a place to overnight within travel time of Paris ... such as perhaps Madrid or Barcelona.

I'd be looking at staying in Paris (or Roissy) the night prior.

You need to be at the airport 2 or 3 hours prior to departure.

Why? In these days of online check-in there is rarely any need to arrive at an airport so far in advance of a flight. Yesterday afternoon I flew from A Coruna to London Heathrow. An international flight. Being cautious I arrived 90 minutes before departure. 45 minutes before the scheduled departure would have been ample time to have cleared security at this small airport and reached the gate. The airline's only stated condition was to be at the boarding gate 30 minutes before departure.

Easy: Train (overnight) from SdC to Paris Gare de Sud, then airport train or bus to CDG. Have done it twice. Train arrives in Paris in the morning around 09.00 AM (If the schedule hasn't changed recently). A nice trip backwards on the Camino. Train stops in Irun. You take a 10 mins. taxi to the French side, and enter the Paris train there one or two hours later.

Edit: The trains are extremely reliable on schedule..

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Easy: Train (overnight) from SdC to Paris Gare de Sud, then airport train or bus to CDG. Have done it twice. Train arrives in Paris in the morning around 09.00 AM (If the schedule hasn't changed recently). A nice trip backwards on the Camino. Train stops in Irun. You take a 10 mins. taxi to the French side, and enter the Paris train there.
Sounds intriguing! I'm going to look into that right now

I like that route a lot. The train leaves well before noon from SdC. you can read or just enjoy the scenery, have coffee or wine in the restaurant wagon. Stops in many Camino places like Ponferrada, Leon, Burgos, etc. Sleep during the night and wake up next morning in Paris. Way to go.

Easy: Train (overnight) from SdC to Paris Gare de Sud, then airport train or bus to CDG. Have done it twice. Train arrives in Paris in the morning around 09.00 AM (If the schedule hasn't changed recently). A nice trip backwards on the Camino. Train stops in Irun. You take a 10 mins. taxi to the French side, and enter the Paris train there one or two hours later.

Edit: The trains are extremely reliable on schedule..
Do you remember which websites you used to book this? All I'm finding are 22 hour travelling times

22 hours sounds correct. That would be departure from SdC around 11 AM and arrival next morning 9 AM in Paris, with plenty of time to go to CDG. I believe that RENFE is not putting up long-time schedules, only a month or so before, but I am not sure. When I took this trip, I just ordered my ticket one or two days before at the station in SdC. No problem: Always vacant seats.

Edit: Here is a much better and understandable site than RENFE:

http://petrabax.com/
http://petrabax.com/renfe/

I should also say, that taking the train is cheaper, and you avoid one night in a hotel as well, saving some more money while you're crossing Spain. I don't mind sleeping in a comfortable chair for one night, either. And if you bring with you some wine/water and own food, you'll have a cheap dinner as well! ;)

Last edited:
Summer timetables may be quite different from the services shown at the moment. If you would like a good source of links and information on trains in Spain, France and pretty much all of Europe then a great site to try is www.seat61.com

Summer timetables may be quite different from the services shown at the moment. If you would like a good source of links and information on trains in Spain, France and pretty much all of Europe then a great site to try is www.seat61.com
I wish that they would make timetables available sooner. For those of us who like to pre-plan!

I checked for you: The train from SdC to Irun costs USD 31. The Petrabax site seems to offer only tickets inside Spain, while the train station in SdC can issue a ticket for the whole way. If you are in SdC for a couple of days, try to order your ticket with them as soon as possible: It will save you quite some money.

Sidebar: Do not plan too much. Life is much funnier if you don't. And you can change your plans much easier. Take risks: You may be rewarded with pleasant surprises.

Edit: My experience is that prices for train tickets vary, and they rise a bit the closer you are to departure. Go touristico class for cheapest price: It is good enough for us pilgrims :)

Last edited:
Do you remember which websites you used to book this? All I'm finding are 22 hour travelling times

Renfe train is service provider from Santiago to Irun/Hendaye (some trains terminate in Hendaye)
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/

SNCF train is service provider from Hendaye to Paris
http://www.sncf.com/en/passengers

It is also possible to travel via Barcelona ... it takes about the same amount of time. Renfe Santiago to Barcelona and SNCF from Barcelona to Paris.

You can use any weekday to plan. The train schedules don't change much even if they are not available months from now.

And yeah ... it takes at least 22 hours.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Why? In these days of online check-in there is rarely any need to arrive at an airport so far in advance of a flight. Yesterday afternoon I flew from A Coruna to London Heathrow. An international flight. Being cautious I arrived 90 minutes before departure. 45 minutes before the scheduled departure would have been ample time to have cleared security at this small airport and reached the gate. The airline's only stated condition was to be at the boarding gate 30 minutes before departure.

You likely won't be able to pull that stunt at CDG on an overseas flight.

Thanks,
Jennifer

Another option is to fly return to Madrid. Its a longer flight but its just as convenient to SJPdP as is Paris and is a lot more convenient to travel from Santiago.

I agree with Whariwharangi (what a nick...;)): Going first leg for Barcelona is a good option. Just make sure the connection from there to Paris is as good and timely for your needs as Irun/Hendaye (Hendaye being the French side of Irun; as said, 10 mins. taxi ride). Anyway, the train trip is IMHO much more relaxing: Giving you time to wind down after the Camino, and reliving the landscape you have been walking through; given that you have walked the Camino Frances)

And flight into/out of Madrid also sounds like a good plan. For your start, combine it with a train to Pamplona, and use the eminent services of http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html for pick-up/overnight stay and then transport to SJPdP (If that's where you are heading for your start). They open after Easter: Istvan & Barbara are a delight to be with: Helpful and friendly!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Another option is to fly return to Madrid. Its a longer flight but its just as convenient to SJPdP as is Paris and is a lot more convenient to travel from Santiago.
Paris flight is already booked but I like the train to Paris via Madrid option!

So, you see: You can go to Paris via Madrid, Barcelona, or Irun. I have only experience with the Irun/Hendaye route which worked perfectly for me 2 times, but now you should know enough to go on with your planning. But do not plan too much: Make your choises on your Way, is my advice, since you have several options...

Apologies if previous posts have already covered this. There is an overnight train to Madrid - now starting in A Coruna not SdC - also an overnight train to Barcelona, and SNCF Voyages have just released bargain fares again for Barcelona to Paris. I am travelling back home using that route and i got a one way ticket for under £30. Check what they ar offering madrid to Paris.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks,
Jennifer
Blimey! If I had just done four or five weeks on the Camino I would welcome a night in Paris. Go for it - plenty of great Airbnb options!!

Hi alexwalker, according to jpflavin1 on the thread 'Trenhotel from Santiago to Madrid', the train does not stop at SdC any longer, so those wishing to use it have to travel to A Coruna or Ourense.

Hi alexwalker, according to jpflavin1 on the thread 'Trenhotel from Santiago to Madrid', the train does not stop at SdC any longer, so those wishing to use it have to travel to A Coruna or Ourense.
I wondered why I couldn't find it on RENFE site.
And flight into/out of Madrid also sounds like a good plan. For your start, combine it with a train to Pamplona, and use the eminent services of http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html for pick-up/overnight stay and then transport to SJPdP (If that's where you are heading for your start). They open after Easter: Istvan & Barbara are a delight to be with: Helpful and friendly!
I can't echo that advice strongly enough. They are wonderful! And, the service is really convenient. The morning transport to SJPdP gets you there a bit late for an aggressive morning start, but if you're not racing to get to Roncesvalles, then you're fine.

I can't echo that advice strongly enough. They are wonderful! And, the service is really convenient. The morning transport to SJPdP gets you there a bit late for an aggressive morning start, but if you're not racing to get to Roncesvalles, then you're fine.
Indeed. I hope many newbies take their service into account: There are several/many requests in this forum about how to get to SJPdP that would not be neccessary if they knew this service.

And walking from SJPdP to Roncesvalles in one day is the hardest day on the whole Camino. Too tough start on a long journey for many, IMHO. The stop in Orrison http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/ made it very easy for this oldtimer... ;) Only 8 kms from SJPdP, but veery steep 8 kms. Enough for me for a day.

The train from A Coruna "must" have a stop & pickup in SdC, methinks?

The Trenhotel now departs from A Coruna and travels to Madrid via Sarria. Another train starts at Vigo and travels via Ourense (which is probably easier to access from Santiago than A Coruna). Somewhere they meet and join up ... However, it no longer travels via Santiago. The schedule now has the train arriving at Madrid at 0930 instead of 0805 ... making it less of an attractive option for people flying out of Madrid.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No problem: Go to the bus station and drive to the desired location. Public transportation in Spain is incredibly reliable.

There were two morning flights from Santiago to Madrid on Iberia - 6:30a & 9a this past Nov.

Yes, there is a flight from Santiago to Paris on Iberia via Madrid in the morning.
Leaving Santiago at 6:45 AM and arriving 10:50 AM to Paris.
The price for the 9th August is at this moment 78 euro (I just checked).
As of now the Iberia website offers "5 final places" (thats 5 last seats in spanglish:))
The only thing is the arrival is not at the airport Paris CDG but at Paris ORLY.
But there is a direct shuttle between the two airports, so there shouldn't be a problem to be on time for the afternoon 15:30 flight.

Just go directly to iberia.com website and enter your flight details.
The website for the shuttle between the airports is http://en.lescarsairfrance.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, there is a flight from Santiago to Paris on Iberia via Madrid in the morning.
As of now the Iberia website offers "5 final places" (thats 5 last seats in spanglish:))
The only thing is the arrival is not at the airport Paris CDG but at Paris ORLY.
But there is a direct shuttle between the two airports, so there shouldn't be a problem to be on time for the afternoon 15:30 flight.

The website for the shuttle between the airports is http://en.lescarsairfrance.com/
That sounds perfect! Thanks

Time appreciation:

Plane arrival Orly, deplane, and get bags: 1 hour. Approx 1150.
Bus Shuttle Orly departs 1205 and arrives 1:15 later at CDG. Approx 1320. (You might catch the 1145 ... which would be a good thing).
That allows 2 hours to get from bus stop, check in, passport exit stamp, security and get to departure terminal.

Its a bit tight. There is no time allowance for late arrival at Orly or delay of bus due to traffic.

Orly Val is airport train. It connects the Orly terminals to Station Antony. Allow 15 minutes.

Orly Val
https://www.orlyval.com/en/Orlyval-s-operating-hours

RER B train goes from station Antony to CDG. Allow one hour. The advantages there is no chance to get stuck in traffic and there is greater frequency of service than the bus.

RER B
http://www.ratp.fr/en/ratp/r_61854/rer-b/

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Time appreciation:

Plane arrival Orly, deplane, and get bags: 1 hour. Approx 1150.
Bus Shuttle Orly departs 1205 and arrives 1:15 later at CDG. Approx 1320. (You might catch the 1145 ... which would be a good thing).
That allows 2 hours to get from bus stop, check in, passport exit stamp, security and get to departure terminal.

Its a bit tight. There is no time allowance for late arrival at Orly or delay of bus due to traffic.

Orly Val is airport train. It connects the Orly terminals to Station Antony. Allow 15 minutes.

Orly Val
https://www.orlyval.com/en/Orlyval-s-operating-hours

RER B train goes from station Antony to CDG. Allow one hour. The advantages there is no chance to get stuck in traffic and there is greater frequency of service than the bus.

RER B
http://www.ratp.fr/en/ratp/r_61854/rer-b/
If I don't check my bags I think the 11:45 should work.

And here comes back the issue of carrying the folded walking poles in the backpack. It is likely that we will be asked to check them in on the flights from Santiago to Paris which may delay the airport transfers - although personally I think 4h 40min is more than enough.
My advice would be to bring non-expensive walking poles and just leave them at the last albergue or near the Pilgrim's office in Santiago where you get a Compostela (that's what I do).
There is also the option to buy walking poles (for 20 euro or less for a pair) in a Decathlon (map) near Bayonne, or after arriving at SJPP (about 30 euro).
Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back