• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Scallop Shells

Brisbanegee

A champion is one who gets up when they can't.
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago (2015)
Hi all, 5 weeks and counting and almost forgot.

Where do you buy a scallop shell for your bags? In Brisbane have not seen any?

Cheers

Glenn

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Go to the frozen fish department of your local supermarket and buy some Coquille St Jacques. (you may have to check where they sell them).

They are prepared in the shell so when you have cooked and eaten them you will have two scallop shells!!
Usually they sell them just with the lower shell ;)
I guess the reason is they're ready to be grilled and not cooked. At least I haven't seen any "closed" Coquilles for some time now...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Usually they sell them just with the lower shell ;)
I guess the reason is they're ready to be grilled and not cooked. At least I haven't seen any "closed" Coquilles for some time now...

You are right - the filling is put into the rounded shell half - the half we use on Camino. The reason I wrote that you would have two shells is that they tend to be sold in packs of two!!

My mother found a collection of scallop shells at our local fish-and-chip shop, of all places (here in NZ) - they sell them without the shells, probably deep fried! She asked the owner if they were for sale, and when she told him why she was asking, he gave her two of them. They are the large, slightly pinkish scallops we get here rather than the classic white ones you see in Spain, but we'll be taking them on our Camino - once we find someone brave enough to drill holes in them for us!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Go to the frozen fish department of your local supermarket and buy some Coquille St Jacques. (you may have to check where they sell them).

They are prepared in the shell so when you have cooked and eaten them you will have two scallop shells!!
Like that idea :)

A Little Tip:

When you get one, make sure you don't attach it until AFTER your flight,elsewise it will get crushed; personal experience! If you are getting bus transfers, the same applies
That is also a great tip as i was thinking about that.

Cheers

Hi Brisbanegee -
If you're doing the DIY scallop shell, make sure to use red cord or string to thread through the drill holes and to attach the shell to your pack. This is what you usually see in Spain (I stand corrected if it's not the case, it's just what I remember usually noticing). The cord and string are available from your local Lincraft or Spotlight. Don't be tempted to buy red ribbon as it won't be strong enough. Forum members will be able to let you know for certain, but as I understand it, red and white are the colours which are closely associated with St. James.
BTW - do you have your pebble for the Cruz de Ferro?
Buen Camino!
Cheers, Jenny

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You don't. You get one once you arrive in Santiago, or even better pick one up on the beach in Fisterra or Muxia. Or if you start in SJPP you make a donation at the Friends' Office and put in on after you have arrived in Santiago. Afterall, you do not tend to find shells in the mountains of Europe, but only upon destination near the Atlantic coast. Do keep in mind that many of the ones for sale along the Camino as not real shells but manufactured. Nicest ones I saw were in a small shop in Hontanas I think: they came straight from the Atlantic coast.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
..., or even better pick one up on the beach in Fisterra or Muxia. ... Do keep in mind that many of the ones for sale along the Camino as not real shells but manufactured.

Scallop shells are not any more easily found at the Atlantic coast, quite the opposite actually, they are pretty much extinct there.
Never, ever heard of non-natural, artificially manufactured scallop shells in Spain, imported ones yes, but not manufactured/artificial ones.
SY

Hi Brisbanegee -
If you're doing the DIY scallop shell, make sure to use red cord or string to thread through the drill holes and to attach the shell to your pack. This is what you usually see in Spain (I stand corrected if it's not the case, it's just what I remember usually noticing). The cord and string are available from your local Lincraft or Spotlight. Don't be tempted to buy red ribbon as it won't be strong enough. Forum members will be able to let you know for certain, but as I understand it, red and white are the colours which are closely associated with St. James.
BTW - do you have your pebble for the Cruz de Ferro?
Buen Camino!
Cheers, Jenny
Thank you for the reply.

I have to also get a pebble as that is a must and have something in mind.

Cheers

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Part of my reason for walking the camino is a celebration of life - I am an 11-year survivor of stage 3 breast cancer (will be 12 years in Sept 2015 when I plan to go). I am considering painting a pink breast cancer ribbon to intertwine with the red cross on the scallop shell. Do you think this will be OK - or is it in poor taste or somehow heretical?

BTW, I have about two dozen large scallop shells I got for free at a fishmonger's shop in Dieppe, France in about 1984! The fishmonger thought I was crazy to want those old shells, but he was more than happy to give them to me! Carried them back across the channel to England (where I living at the time) on the ferry.

... I am considering painting a pink breast cancer ribbon to intertwine with the red cross on the scallop shell. Do you think this will be OK - or is it in poor taste or somehow heretical?

I think it is a wonderful idea! It also will make for a great conversation starter as many pilgrims will ask you the 'Why?' question. The pink ribbon is well known in Europe, can't imagine people would consider it heretical on a scallop shell. Buen Camino! SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for all the encouragement!

Brisbanegee, congratulations on your survivorship! It's awesome that you are doing this fundraising for the Unicorn Foundation, a charity with the goals of research and awareness of these neuroendocrine cancers.

Buen camino!

Part of my reason for walking the camino is a celebration of life - I am an 11-year survivor of stage 3 breast cancer (will be 12 years in Sept 2015 when I plan to go). I am considering painting a pink breast cancer ribbon to intertwine with the red cross on the scallop shell. Do you think this will be OK - or is it in poor taste or somehow heretical?

One of the Camino lessons many of us have to learn is about not being judgmental. You would hope that your fellow pilgrims would want to celebrate with you rather than be offended by your pink ribbon.

I find the choosing of a shell to be quite problematic. Try as I might to find a shell that "spoke" to me, on my first Camino I walked as far as the Meseta without one. I had looked at and rejected a great number then, out of the blue, a pilgrim I had crossed paths with on occasion told me she was not taking her shell home with her and that she thought it belonged to me.

I was astounded and humbled. What a precious gift to give to another pilgrim. One look though and I knew it was indeed my shell.

My second Camino was without shell until just before Finisterre. There it was half-buried in the sand waiting for me to come along. Neither of my shells go on pilgrimage with me because I know one will present itself to me if I'm meant to have one.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The beaches where I live are littered with them, although some are quite small. Many already have one hole drilled ( I think the starfish do it to get to the meat inside). I was thinking of bringing a sack of them to hand out to fellow pilgrims who lose/break theirs. Or does this never happen?

The beaches where I live are littered with them, although some are quite small. Many already have one hole drilled ( I think the starfish do it to get to the meat inside). I was thinking of bringing a sack of them to hand out to fellow pilgrims who lose/break theirs. Or does this never happen?

Interesting - now, if you could train the starfish to push a length of string through the hole they make - why! you are sitting on a pilgrim goldmine!

Poor enslaved starfishes! They would soon get on strike having to produce duly drilled and stringed shells for 230,000+ pilgrims per year! SY

If I could train the creatures of the sea, I would first train the jellyfish to stay at least 200 yards offshore.

The starfish are good at drilling holes, but I'm not so sure about stringing. Maybe I could teach the crabs. They seem pretty good with their claws.

I will bring a bag of shells. And I suppose I will have to drill the second hole.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sounds like a plan, see you in 2 weeks :)

Top or Bottom Half of Shell?

I presume it is the top half of the shell that is normally used, as it has a nicer domed shape?

My Brother was kind enough to bring me a scallop shell from the beach near where I was born. It would be nice to use it, though it is quite large and heavy. (85g)

And it's the flat bottom half. Does that really matter, or will I be committing some terrible sin? :eek:

HaHa - no sin. The rounded half is the one used - I think there may be a history of it being used as a bowl for free food, also for scooping water. John the Baptist has been portrayed baptising using the rounded half of a scallop shell. The flat half looks suspiciously like the Shell Oil symbol!

Rounded halves tend to weigh about 70gms, depends on how old the owner of the shell was before it died. The ones I sell in my Ebay 'pilgrimsupplies' shop average 65-70gms.

If that shell weight bothers you you could sew a cloth embroidered badge onto your rucksack instead - like these

Camino 3-way patch (345 x 400).jpg waymarker 1 (400 x 384).jpg St James Cross Patch 1 (289 x 400).jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
HaHa - no sin. The rounded half is the one used - I think there may be a history of it being used as a bowl for free food, also for scooping water. John the Baptist has been portrayed baptising using the rounded half of a scallop shell. The flat half looks suspiciously like the Shell Oil symbol!

Rounded halves tend to weigh about 70gms, depends on how old the owner of the shell was before it died. The ones I sell in my Ebay 'pilgrimsupplies' shop average 65-70gms.

If that shell weight bothers you you could sew a cloth embroidered badge onto your rucksack instead - like these

View attachment 16335 View attachment 16336 View attachment 16337

No problem with the weight David. I rather like the idea that it comes from 'home' and so may use it.

I don't remember seeing many broken shells on backpacks, and my own has survived several Caminos. They seem to be quite robust unless you hit them with a hammer or baggage handler etc.

They are available in St Jean and from many places along the Camino - I do have them in my shop (which is non-profit) but I did not mention this as that would be advertising and I was making a point about light alternatives to the scallop shell.

I don't remember seeing many broken shells on backpacks, and my own has survived several Caminos. They seem to be quite robust unless you hit them with a hammer or baggage handler etc.
I had one hole break on my shell while running down the hill from Cruciero in May 2013. I reached the bottom to hear a distant shout and turned to see a pilgrim in the distance waving my shell! Bless him, we were reunited, but I had to keep it inside my bag thereafter. Do I hear you say "Running"? Well it was my birthday and I needed to get to Burgos by noon to meet a friend coming to help me celebrate. I made, we did and I staggered out of Burgos two days later. :)

If you hang it shiny side out the curved half reflects car headlights at a wider range of angles. Which has to be an advantage. And probably not part of God's original plan.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The shell you can get at the Pilgrims office in St Jean is plain with no decoration and a plain string. There is no red anywhere. They can be decorated in any way you wish or left plain. Many write the names of loved ones or special persons they are walking for or vicariously with. The scallop shell symbol has many meanings with its primary one being baptismal. This is why many baptismal fonts are decorated with them and shells are used by priests to baptize. You can do anything with your shell. I was going to bring the shells I collected at my Scottish grandmother's birthplace on Singing Beach, Prince Edward Island but decided instead on the St Jean donative. Buen Camino.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
I had one hole break on my shell while running down the hill from Cruciero in May 2013. I reached the bottom to hear a distant shout and turned to see a pilgrim in the distance waving my shell! Bless him, we were reunited, but I had to keep it inside my bag thereafter. Do I hear you say "Running"? Well it was my birthday and I needed to get to Burgos by noon to meet a friend coming to help me celebrate. I made, we did and I staggered out of Burgos two days later. :)
Heh, heh! I should amend my post to say, "...hit by a hammer, baggage handler, or Al the Optimist running for a beer." ;-)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You don't. You get one once you arrive in Santiago, or even better pick one up on the beach in Fisterra or Muxia. Or if you start in SJPP you make a donation at the Friends' Office and put in on after you have arrived in Santiago. Afterall, you do not tend to find shells in the mountains of Europe, but only upon destination near the Atlantic coast. Do keep in mind that many of the ones for sale along the Camino as not real shells but manufactured. Nicest ones I saw were in a small shop in Hontanas I think: they came straight from the Atlantic coast.

I got mine on the coast in Brighton UK where I live. It will be on my pack when I start from Geneva in April

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.