• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seeking Guidance and Intro

Shawnasong

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2016
My name is Shawna. I am an American living in Costa Rica with my husband and 10-year-old son. Recently, it has been placed upon my heart and soul to do this camino ASAP. I am trying to figure out how to plan my travel to and fro. I have total flexibility in length of stay there, and therefore intend to start at SJPdP.

I can fly from Costa Rica, or first get to the States and fly from there. I can leave as early as August 10th or as late as whenever. :)

(I posted this thread here because the prompt wouldn't allow me to post elsewhere.)

Specific questions:
1. Where do I fly to and then how do I get to the start?
2. Do I return to that same airport to fly home, I.e. buy a round trip ticket?
3. Do I buy an open ended ticket, do they even do that anymore?
4. When is the best time of year to go?
5. Do I need hiking boots or are light sneakers adequate?
6. Any advice/guidance is welcomed.

Thank you,
Shawna

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Shawna - welcome to this large group of souls who have felt and answered the same urge to walk to Santiago as you have. I'm sure you will get lots of advice soon, but here's a quick few answers to your questions. You probably want to fly into Madrid or Paris, although there are other options. I took the train down from Paris to Bayonne, then another train to St. Jean. I believe it's also possible to go via bus from Madrid to Pamplona, then by shared taxi service to St. Jean. Leaving Santiago I took the train back to Madrid, then flew out of there. Just start looking at fares to see what is the most reasonable. A good site for checking things out in Europe is Rome2Rio.com - that will give you approximate fares, etc from a to b. I walked in hiking boots last time, but have decided to switch to trail running shoes for our trip this Sept/Oct. There will probably be about five days when I wish I had my boots, but the other 4-5 weeks I will be glad to have lightweight shoes on my feet. I had great weather in Sept/Oct 2013, and am hoping for the same this year. Spring is also supposed to be beautiful, but I didn't want to wait until then. Hope this helps to get you started - just keep reading all you can on here, and a lot of questions will get answered, and more raised! So don't hesitate to ask. There are two longtime members on here from Costa Rica, I'm sure they will chip in soon with more help. Wishing you a buen camino - Cherry

Thank you, Cherry! You helped me a lot just with the idea of traveling to Madrid. That sounds perfect. Hopefully I will see you on the road.
Warmly,
Shawna

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you, Cherry! You helped me a lot just with the idea of traveling to Madrid. That sounds perfect. Hopefully I will see you on the road.
Warmly,
Shawna
You're welcome. Since you were on line I knew you would be anxious for a quick reply! Happy planning - C

I will restrict my comments to the most important advice I was given.
Select suitably sized footware wearing the socks you will use on the Camino.
Allow for the swelling of your feet while walking by then purchasing one size larger than is comfortable, or a half size larger in a wider model.
Regards and good travelling.
Gerard

Hi and welcome ;-) Here some tips/answers:

Have a look at rome2rio.com or skyscanner.net for different options/prices. The entry airport for most people would be Paris or Madrid and then train/bus to SJPdP.

Yes they do, but they tend to be more expensive. Calculate a generous time frame and if you arrive earlier - so what? There is a lot to see in Santiago, you can walk to Finisterre, you can walk another camino ...

Really depends what you are looking for. Solitude/Company? Flowers/Harvest colors? f.e.

Again, depends on time of the year. Walking in summer is very different to walking in winter.

Lots of that on the forum, just keep reading ;-)
Buen Camino, SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome Shawna! Last year I flew in to Pamplona, stayed at PensiĂłn CorazĂłn Puro http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html and they drove me to SJPdP the next morning. I flew home from Santiago de Compostela. I really liked the convenience of flying home from Santiago de Compostela and will do the same this year. I wore trail runner shoes and was surprised how fast I wore through the insoles. I ended up buying another pair of shoes and insoles in LeĂłn. I really did like trail runners though and am hiking in the same kind this year. I will just make sure they don't have many miles on them before the Camino and will keep an eye on the insoles and replace them when I need to. I had no problem finding replacements at a pharmacy which you will pass in nearly every town. I started my Camino at the beginning of September and ended mid October. I had mornings just above freezing and a few afternoons as warm as 93 f (34 c) and little to no rain until the last two weeks in the Galicia area which is known for rain. I love walking this time of year.

Good luck with your decision and Buen Camino!

Hi Shawnasong! Welcome to the forum!

Where do I fly to and then how do I get to the start?

Madrid would be your best bet. If you found a great deal to Paris, you may consider it but don't overlook how to reach Paris from Santiago de Compostela. Be aware direct flights from Santiago de Compostela to Paris aren't daily and, in case of problems, e.g.: an airport strike, overland travel isn't really a plan B unless you have a lot of time. While flying to Madrid or to Paris doesn't make a big difference, returning from Madrid is way better than returning from Paris. You may look for an open-jaw ticket outbound to Paris; inbound from Madrid and compare its cost with a return ticket to Madrid.

Another option you could research is to get an open jaw ticket flying outbound to Biarritz (assuming Iberia keeps the flights they started this year to Biarritz) and inbound from Santiago de Compostela. It may be overall cheaper than flying to Madrid and commuting from Madrid to SJPP and from Santiago de Compostela to Madrid by surface public transport although it all will depend on Iberia's fares.

Do I return to that same airport to fly home, I.e. buy a round trip ticket?

Unless you got a good price with one of the open-jaw tickets I suggested above, a return flight to Madrid would probably be the best choice.

Do I buy an open ended ticket, do they even do that anymore?

Get one with fixed dates and allow yourself plenty of time. If you end early, you can always make some tourism in Spain or just rest...

When is the best time of year to go?

It depends on your preferences about weather, number of pilgrims, daylight time...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My name is Shawna. I am an American living in Costa Rica with my husband and 10-year-old son. Recently, it has been placed upon my heart and soul to do this camino ASAP. I am trying to figure out how to plan my travel to and fro. I have total flexibility in length of stay there, and therefore intend to start at SJPdP.

I can fly from Costa Rica, or first get to the States and fly from there. I can leave as early as August 10th or as late as whenever. :)

(I posted this thread here because the prompt wouldn't allow me to post elsewhere.)

Specific questions:

Thank you,
Shawna
Hi Shawna and welcome to this wonderful forumfamily.
I live in the Netherlands so I can't help you with the flying part of your questions. I use all kinds of transport, car, train and flying.
I always use hiking boots.
For me the best time is April / May and my wife love to walk in August /September.
Wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Estimate how many days (including travel days) it will take you to walk the Camino Frances.
Add one or two days to that in the event you take a day off or a short day.
Make round trip flight reservations to Madrid for those dates.
Take a bus or train to Pamplona, and the bus to St Jean Pied de Port.
or
Make reservations through Corazon Puro. They pick you up at the bus station in Pamplona, feed you dinner and breakfast and drive you down to St Jean the next morning. Easy peasy.
Fly back from Santiago to Madrid on Iberia Express Airlines or Ryan Air.

September sounds like a good month to go.

The Camino Frances is not hardcore wilderness hiking at all. You start your walk on cobblestone and concrete in St Jean and end your walk on cobblestone and concrete in Santiago. You don't need heavy duty mountaineering boots. Light duty, lightweight trail runners, trail walkers or ankle high semi boots work fine.
cheers and ultreia

Welcome to the forum @Shawnasong. One of the best couples to help with some of your travel questions could be @fraluchi and @annakappa . If they do not see this post then a PM (private conversation) might be a good idea. It might help to click on their names in this post to do that
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back