• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seized pack zips

AnnabelP

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016) Camino Portuguese (2023)
I pulled my Osprey pack out today to prepare for the Portuguese in early May. Last time I used it was in 2016 for the Frances from SJPDP. Unfortunately some of the zips have seized and I’m having difficulty opening them. Any suggestions for getting the pesky things open? My husband is hoping one of the pockets may have a wad of Euros in it!!! 🤣🤩

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If the lubricant method fails, you can try manipulating the zipper "head". Take a thin-bladed flat screwdriver (or maybe a table knife) and slide it into the "mouth" between the underside of the "head" and the row of interlocked "teeth". This will open the "mouth" just slightly (hopefully!) and allow the "head" to move more freely.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
if the cause is corrosion, try vinegar. works on metal, not on plastic.
I live in Puerto Vallarta and had this problem ane with the heat and high humidity many things take a beating especially if in a closet for an extended period. When I researched the problem I read that vinegar may be a solution. It took a little elbow grease but it did the job and my zippers on my pack all worked without any further issues.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Perhaps there is fabric caught between the teeth and the pull on the unseen side. Anyway, here is an instructional webpage with some video clips.

I've seen YouTube videos on zipper repair. Just to let you know where to go in case you accidentally cause some damage.

I pulled my Osprey pack out today to prepare for the Portuguese in early May. Last time I used it was in 2016 for the Frances from SJPDP. Unfortunately some of the zips have seized and I’m having difficulty opening them. Any suggestions for getting the pesky things open? My husband is hoping one of the pockets may have a wad of Euro

I pulled my Osprey pack out today to prepare for the Portuguese in early May. Last time I used it was in 2016 for the Frances from SJPDP. Unfortunately some of the zips have seized and I’m having difficulty opening them. Any suggestions for getting the pesky things open? My husband is hoping one of the pockets may have a wad of Euros in it!!! 🤣🤩
Star brite snap and zipper lubricant. Available at Target and Walmart.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You can purchase a graphite dust dispenser from a locksmith or hardware store. Great for stiff locks as well.

You can purchase a graphite dust dispenser from a locksmith or hardware store. Great for stiff locks as well.
Just don't try to use the graphite with anything else like oil or wax. (You might be able to use PTFE sprays (WD40, et al) that will dry and leave a film of dry PTFE, and not impair the "lubricant" properties of graphite, but not sure.)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Spray with vinegar

@AnnabelP At any rate, as you can tell by now, there are an entire squadron of us perched on the edge of our seats, awaiting the final verdict. Enquiring minds want to know if this gets fixed!
Well, this will be my job for this morning! I will try all (vinegar first I think) and report back! 🤩 Thanks to everyone for your advise! ❤️

Os
Osprey usually guarantee for life. If above mentioned trick’s don’t work contact Osprey for a replacement or fix

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As others recommended Pencil lead (graphite) or undiluted dish liquid soap small amount apply with toothbrush or smaller

Ahh!
A topic I have more than some experience with.
1st soak in water and try again
2nd use spray can lubes such as WD40
3rd use a bar of soap (you should be getting some additional teeth opening by now). Use pliers or similar but carefully/softly.
4th soak again, drumming fingers, looking up on-line prices for a replacement of your item.
5th leave out in the sun, air it well, go have a weekend away and relax, come back and carefully soak again and try SLOWLY tugging the zipper link by link.
6th if more than 2/3rds of your zippers are now working (mine were) continue to use the item with a customised closure on what is hopefully a minor outage. Otherwise review what you liked about the item and seek same in replacement .. and ...
7th downgrade use to recreational activities/shopping.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I haven't tried this but is it worth putting in the freezer and after an hour or so bringing out and pouring hot (boiling?) water over the zip? My poor science knowledge thinks that expanding by freezing (does it need to be damp?) may free up any locked mechanism.

Ivory soap / candle wax / WD40

Hot water could free up hardened skin oils and dust, etc. Otherwise try a lubricant, any of: , soap, glycerin, rubber preservative, silicone spray. If it's a metal zipper and corroded, the vinegar suggestion might work, but once freed follow it with a thorough water rinse and a protective coating such as silicone, lanolin (which is anticorrosive, as is whale oil...), Vaseline, etc.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
So the solution is in! Soaked three of the four zips in vinegar from 4 hours to overnight and with a bit of strong manipulation and a couple of broken zip pulls they came open. The fourth zip I used a product called CLR (Calcium Limescale Rust Remover) available in Australia. The main ingredients are sodium percarbonate and hydrogen peroxide. Worked much more quickly than the vinegar and in five minutes I had the fourth one open.
Unfortunately all I found in the compartments were some plastic bags with clean toilet paper, a face washer and a mouldy old roll of Werthers Original caramels! No wad of euros. 😉

Ahh, the end of the suspense! Happy you got it sorted and I feel your disappointment for the lack of euros!

Phew! Glad you got there in the end.
For general bag repairs I'd recommend contacting Osprey, I've found them to be really helpful.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.