• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sending package to Ivar from CDG airport

camster

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 2023
Hello, my camino is officially starting July 2nd and I plan on shipping my airport backpack carrier along with post camino clothes at Ivar's from the Charles de Gaulle airport when I land. The items add quite a few pounds that I wish to not lug around and over the pyrenees into Spain.

I saw in Ivar's video on this forum that packages from outside Spain may have certain issues getting to him. Anyone has sent him a package from the airport or from France with success before?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I sent a package to myself, lista de correos to the postoffice in Santiago from Le Puy en Velay.
It never showed up in Santiago. To years later it showed up at the postoffice at my home in Norway.
At the same time I sent a package with some warmer clothes to Pamplona for the rest of my walk. luckily I could pick it up at the postoffice in Pamplona.
Later on my walk through France, I sent a package to my homeadress in Norway , which never showed up.
So like Tincatinker says, do not send anything you cannot loose.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I sent a package to myself, lista de correos to the postoffice in Santiago from Le Puy en Velay.
It never showed up in Santiago. To years later it showed up at the postoffice at my home in Norway.
At the same time I sent a package with some warmer clothes to Pamplona for the rest of my walk. luckily I could pick it up at the postoffice in Pamplona.
Later on my walk through France, I sent a package to my homeadress in Norway , which never showed up.
So like Tincatinker says, do not send anything you cannot loose.
Wow it's like a coin toss.. Very sad you never received some of them.

This was many years before you could send to Ivar. What I learned: pack less!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I sent something from France last year without any problem. I've sent other parcels from France before (to Germany) and everything arrived without any problems.

I wouldn't put anything in that I won't be okay to lose, though, just in case.

I sent a parcel from Pamplona to Bayonne, and then promptly walked there via Saint Jean Pied de Port and then the Voie de la Nive. I arrived before my parcel.
Also, because it was going outside Spain it was ridiculously expensive. In reality it was not worth the cost to me, but I just chalk it up to education.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Are you starting from SJPdP? If so, I recommend using Express Bourricot to send your things to Santiago. They will be stored in a secure room at the Loop Inn in Santiago which has 24 hr reception, so you can pick them up whenever you like.
I've used them several times in the past.

I’ve sent clothes and stuff between Australia, France, Spain, Austria and Greece and sometimes in both directions in the past five years and the packages have arrived every time. But, as above, only things I can afford to lose. Most often though, in Spain, I just buy what I need. It is a bit more costly but much less fuss.

Hello, my camino is officially starting July 2nd and I plan on shipping my airport backpack carrier along with post camino clothes at Ivar's from the Charles de Gaulle airport when I land. The items add quite a few pounds that I wish to not lug around and over the pyrenees into Spain.

I saw in Ivar's video on this forum that packages from outside Spain may have certain issues getting to him. Anyone has sent him a package from the airport or from France with success before?
I do receive parcels from France, and it does work well. The only problem is that IF there is a problem, customer service from the French postal service, once you are in Spain (when you realize there is a problem), is close to zero. You can also use private shippers (more expensive, but better customer service). I know many use "Mailboxes ETC" or similar businesses for shipping.

If you are shipping from SJPP, https://www.expressbourricot.com/luggage-transport/ works well as well. (There is a post office in SJPP where many ship to me from).

From France, there are no customs issues by the way, so that is not an issue.

More on my service here:

Buen Camino!
Ivar

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I know why... when you send with the French postal service, the parcel is given to SEUR once it enters Spain. SEUR is a private shipper. When they try to deliver to the post office in Santiago, the post office will ask for payment for using their storage service. This is free if you use Correos, but cost money if you use any other shipper. SEUR will not pay anything, since they have not gotten that money from you. The result: the parcel is refused and goes back into a SEUR warehouse.

Hence my service: https://casaivar.com/luggage-storage-in-santiago-de-compostela/
(I will take anything that is sent to me, even if I have to pay to receive it. I pay it and they charge you when you pick it up).

I always recommend that pilgrims avoid shipping from one country to another using the mail system. The EU has NOT harmonized parcel shipping. Your shipment will be treated, charged and routed like any other international shipment. Thus, it will cost more and take longer. There are too many potential points of failure in this process.

If you are starting in St. Jean Pied de Port, the suggested solution is to ship your suitcase, with apres Camino clothing, from SJPdP using Express Bourricot. Here is their web site: https://www.expressbourricot.com/

Their office is immediately to the left of the SJPdP Pilgrim Office. You will check in there before departing. Express Bourricot will securely transport your suitcase to Santiago and place it in secure storage awaiting your arrival. It is not cheap. But it is the simple and most secure solution.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Hi I sent a package from a town in France, as I had taken my camera, all 3.5kg. Realised it wasn't needed for this trip,, was worried about losing it. It was waiting there for me safe & sound . If there nothing you won't be able to live without or can't replace, maybe just trust the Camino to provide & protect.

I do receive parcels from France, and it does work well. The only problem is that IF there is a problem, customer service from the French postal service, once you are in Spain (when you realize there is a problem), is close to zero. You can also use private shippers (more expensive, but better customer service). I know many use "Mailboxes ETC" or similar businesses for shipping.

If you are shipping from SJPP, https://www.expressbourricot.com/luggage-transport/ works well as well. (There is a post office in SJPP where many ship to me from).

From France, there are no customs issues by the way, so that is not an issue.

More on my service here:

Buen Camino!
Ivar
Ivar! Thank you so much for answering me. I will take note of the service in sjpp, many thanks!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back