• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September/October Expectations

Derrybiketours

A journey of 500 miles begins with one step!
Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdeP-FIN(09/2018)
PORTO-SANT(11/2018)
Caminho Da Fe(01/2019)
SJPdeP- SANT(09/2019)
Madrid(7/2020)
Here I ago again on my own, (queue the music). Just booked the obligatory o/w cheap flight to Biarritz via love'm or loav'm Crynair. This will be my 4th Camino in 13 month's but it feels like only my 2nd. The last year has been unbelievable and my first Camino was everything and more that I could have never imagined in my wildest dreams and/or nightmares. It started in SJPdP on 9th September 2018 and ended in Santuario Nacional Aparecida, 23rd January 2019. My intention is to take train to SJPdP, pre-book 1 night in St Jean and walk to and pre-book Roncesvalles. The remainder of my journey will be to walk with purpose, have no expectation and to go with the flow and not book ahead. I don't know why I've decided to do this again but maybe it's because the lessons I thought I had learned the first time around need reminding or maybe it's because 'This Way' hasn't finished with me. Either way, I'm preparing, physically, emotionally and spiritually. This time I will embrace the Meseta and look forward to meeting Mau at the temple of peace. It's a good place when all you carry forward is hope and leave behind is expectation. Ultreia 🙏 🤠

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ha ha, you are a true addict, don't you think?
Haha, I might as well face it I'm addicted to cheesey eighties ballads and Camino magic and as you no doubt have found out, resistance is futile 😜

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I appreciate all the 'licks' 👍and positive intentions. Leading on from expectations, having booked my flight my attention has turned to booking my first two nights accommodation. Based on the valuable insights received here this time last year I booked the Napoleon Gite in St Jean, Kayola near Orisson (as Orisson booked) and Roncesvalles. Question is, should I do the same, stay in the same accomodation?🤔

I'd be grateful for any recommendations for nights accommodation in SJPdP? 🙏

For the benefit of any new pilgrims I would recommend booking the first nights accommodation in St Jean. I arrived on September 8th 2018 around 5pm and everything seemed to be booked out. Plus if traveling near and far there's the peace of mind that comes from the certainty of knowing that a clean bed, hot shower and hearty meal and breakfast awaits. Its opportunity to taste the local french quisine before entering Spain.

I would consider myself relatively fit and the first days 26km walk over the Pyrenees (1,430m above sea level) did not appeal to me in 2018 so I decided to stop after 7.5km near Refuge Orisson. I'm glad I did because I was unprepared for the degree of gradient and in 32 degree heat it was enough of a first day challenge and couldn't have imagined waking another 19km. The other advantage was to experience the Orisson hospitality and meet and greet what is referred to as your potential 'camino family'. After eating 'ok' food everyone turns their attention to reasons and motivations for wanting to walk the Camino. This is a little bit of Camino magic and the energy created by the variety of nationalities present makes it worthwhile to experience, at least once. The people you share bread and stories with around the table will become familiar faces throughout the days and weeks to follow.

On my 2019 walk I intend to start walking at 7am from St Jean and hope to arrive around 3pm into the second of my pre-booked accommodation at Roncesvalles. In September 2018 some pilgrims I walked over the Pyrenees with hadn't booked in advance and found the hostel fully booked.

This is the link for booking and by clicking on the purple circle near the top of the page links to reservation page. I would recommend booking one night stay+evening meal+breakfast for 25.50 Euro.

In September 2018 I walked to Santiago without prebooking and always had a bed, sofa, inflatable bed until prebooking again for arrival into Santiago five weeks later. This year I'm going with the flow and may or may not reach Santiago. The Meseta is my purpose and don't expect to have any problems finding a bed between Burgos and Leon. If I do the best piece of advice I learned from my Porto to Santiago follow-up walk in November is too embrace the possibility of sleeping under the stars and risk and trust in purposively putting oneself outside perceived comfort zone. Leave behind expectations, carry only hope 🤠

Have a blessed Camino, amigo. Ultreya! :)
Thanks @davebugg , your valuable advice and insight this time last year has made me the pilgrim I am today 😉 Ultreya (think I've been spelling it incorrectly, another lesson learned 🙏)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks @davebugg , your valuable advice and insight this time last year has made me the pilgrim I am today 😉 Ultreya (think I've been spelling it incorrectly, another lesson learned 🙏)

I'm of the belief that a correct spelling of Ultreya is an unending discussion, sorta like trekking poles, blister prevention methods, and alien abductions. I just alternate how I write it :)

Several forum members have made some great contributions on the topic, including Kathar1na, and t2andreo.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.