• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

several questions all together

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2015 (CF, 100 miles), June/July 2018 (CP, ~40 miles, too hot!)
Hi everyone,

1) I'm planning to go on another Camino this coming summer, but the peroneal (ankle) tendonosis I got on this last Camino that ended last August still plagues me. One underlying issue is that I'm a type 2 diabetic, but the main underlying issue is that the tendonosis is on a 35-year-old injury to the ankle itself. When I was a kid, about 12, I fell in a hole, and landed on my ankle, which was the worst sprain without a break. For 30 years, it never bothered me, but I was also overweight and not a hiker. So on my first Camino, my weight, plus this old injury (that weakened the tendon), plus over-pronating (walking on the outside of my feet), plus having high arches added up to this strain and hurt that just won't go away. I could put off another Camino if the Forum think it advisable to let this injury heal for a longer time; I travel regularly in summer, but I just don't want to put off another Camino. I'm on no particular time frame, and getting a compostela isn't a goal. I'm just going to be walking to be a pilgrim again. I just love being on the trail!

Before I went to see my podiatrist, I was down to 5,000 steps a day (from a high of 20k-30k+ on the Camino), and every step hurt! After a cortisone shot, things got better in my ankle, but the cortisone made my blood sugar go up, so overall not a good deal. But I realize now what the problem is: it's on the third part of the step. I can raise my foot, set it down, no problem. It's when I pick my heel up, THAT is when the tendonosis really hurts. My question to the Forum is, what are some good stretches? Would a plantaf fascitis brace help at night, when I go to sleep? Any advice, suggestions, tips on ankle issues/pains? I already wear a brace every day (Bracoo, elastic/velcro, breathable). It's inconvenient at home for me to elevate my ankle but I could ice it.

2) How best to get from Paris, where I'm flying in, to Pamplona, where I want to start my Camino? I'm thinking Pamplona because it's relatively flat. At my weight, and being a beginning hiker with tendonosis, I'm leery of starting in SJPdP and doing extreme uphills and downhills. However, that said, I survived Portomarin last summer! So how steep IS it from SJPdP to Roncesvalles and how steep IS the descent? I'd love to start in SJPdP and see how far I can get in about 28 days, but I'm leery of the ascents and descents, factoring in my weight, knee and ankle issues. I did use one hiking pole last time, which was a great help. I have every intention of using hiking poles again!

3) What are people's opinions of hydration backpacks? I'm going lighter this time; I think part of what caused the tendonosis last summer was carrying a backpack that weighed about 12 pounds, day in and day out, and the different way it caused me to walk. I have a Camelbak, with a large water reservoir; I'd like to keep my pack this time to 10 pounds or under, now that I know how to pack (and know that the Camino provides). I intend to take the Camelbak out on the road hiking around home before I go on Camino, as well as weigh it before departure. I'd like to know what people on the Forum think of hydration backpacks. For? Against? Opinions? Suggestions?

4) Is it worth it or not to ship hiking poles to oneself? Or is it better just to buy a new set while overseas? I have a single hiking staff (that would break down into sections, so perhaps TSA-approved?) that had a cork handle, but the cork dry-rotted. Any advice on where I could buy a new hiking staff handle? Any advice and suggestions would be most welcome here, too. Last Camino, the most precious gift I shipped to myself was a pair of new shoes at the end. It was a real enticement to walk the whole distance, although I knew that if I had to, other transport was available. Picking those shoes up in Santiago -- bliss!

Thank you all as usual for your input.

Cheers, Katie (la escargot, she's such a slow old snail of a hiker!)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, CaminoKate. You're more experienced then I am--my first camino is this April--so I don't have answers for you, though I'm sure many others will. I just wanted to wish you the best! It's very inspiring that with the challenges you have, you have the determination to walk the Camino again. I look forward to hearing your plans!

Hi! You didn't say where you walked last time, and that might be helpful for people providing advice. From what you've said, I think you are wise not to start in SJPP, as the ascent and descent are significant and you don't want to risk injury at the beginning! After Pamplona is better, but there is still a significant rise to Altos de Perdon and the descent from there. Certainly, you should take two walking sticks and keep you backpack as light as possible.

Sorry I don't have any advice on your other questions. I applaud your goal of just getting out there and walking.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi everyone,

1) I'm planning to go on another Camino this coming summer, but the peroneal (ankle) tendonosis I got on this last Camino that ended last August still plagues me. One underlying issue is that I'm a type 2 diabetic, but the main underlying issue is that the tendonosis is on a 35-year-old injury to the ankle itself. When I was a kid, about 12, I fell in a hole, and landed on my ankle, which was the worst sprain without a break. For 30 years, it never bothered me, but I was also overweight and not a hiker. So on my first Camino, my weight, plus this old injury (that weakened the tendon), plus over-pronating (walking on the outside of my feet), plus having high arches added up to this strain and hurt that just won't go away. I could put off another Camino if the Forum think it advisable to let this injury heal for a longer time; I travel regularly in summer, but I just don't want to put off another Camino. I'm on no particular time frame, and getting a compostela isn't a goal. I'm just going to be walking to be a pilgrim again. I just love being on the trail!

Before I went to see my podiatrist, I was down to 5,000 steps a day (from a high of 20k-30k+ on the Camino), and every step hurt! After a cortisone shot, things got better in my ankle, but the cortisone made my blood sugar go up, so overall not a good deal. But I realize now what the problem is: it's on the third part of the step. I can raise my foot, set it down, no problem. It's when I pick my heel up, THAT is when the tendonosis really hurts. My question to the Forum is, what are some good stretches? Would a plantaf fascitis brace help at night, when I go to sleep? Any advice, suggestions, tips on ankle issues/pains? I already wear a brace every day (Bracoo, elastic/velcro, breathable). It's inconvenient at home for me to elevate my ankle but I could ice it.

2) How best to get from Paris, where I'm flying in, to Pamplona, where I want to start my Camino? I'm thinking Pamplona because it's relatively flat. At my weight, and being a beginning hiker with tendonosis, I'm leery of starting in SJPdP and doing extreme uphills and downhills. However, that said, I survived Portomarin last summer! So how steep IS it from SJPdP to Roncesvalles and how steep IS the descent? I'd love to start in SJPdP and see how far I can get in about 28 days, but I'm leery of the ascents and descents, factoring in my weight, knee and ankle issues. I did use one hiking pole last time, which was a great help. I have every intention of using hiking poles again!

3) What are people's opinions of hydration backpacks? I'm going lighter this time; I think part of what caused the tendonosis last summer was carrying a backpack that weighed about 12 pounds, day in and day out, and the different way it caused me to walk. I have a Camelbak, with a large water reservoir; I'd like to keep my pack this time to 10 pounds or under, now that I know how to pack (and know that the Camino provides). I intend to take the Camelbak out on the road hiking around home before I go on Camino, as well as weigh it before departure. I'd like to know what people on the Forum think of hydration backpacks. For? Against? Opinions? Suggestions?

4) Is it worth it or not to ship hiking poles to oneself? Or is it better just to buy a new set while overseas? I have a single hiking staff (that would break down into sections, so perhaps TSA-approved?) that had a cork handle, but the cork dry-rotted. Any advice on where I could buy a new hiking staff handle? Any advice and suggestions would be most welcome here, too. Last Camino, the most precious gift I shipped to myself was a pair of new shoes at the end. It was a real enticement to walk the whole distance, although I knew that if I had to, other transport was available. Picking those shoes up in Santiago -- bliss!

Thank you all as usual for your input.

Cheers, Katie (la escargot, she's such a slow old snail of a hiker!)
I have a couple of things.

Shoes: Try different walking shoes. I have a very hard heel strike and I push off on the ball of my foot and great toe causing foot pain and blisters.. I switched to Adidas TeraX trekking shoes for my Portuguese camino. They have build in roll bars which prevent my feet from pronating in or out when I walk. They also have heavy duty shanks giving them very rigid soles. This has forced changed my gait and I now walk pain and blister free.

Poles: I will not leave home without them!!!!! They help you going up hill, they are a big help going down hill, and aid in maintaining balance at all times.. Mine fold up and fit in my pack which I always check in.

Tendinitis: 12 pounds pack, I wish. Just walking the camino can cause tendinitis. If you are a larger trekker, lack training, and are predisposed to muscle skeletal issues it's a good bet you are going to have problems. Does your diabetes preclude you from taking oral anti-inflammatory medications? Cortisone is a inject-able anti-inflammatory and should not cause insulin fluctuation. Is your diabetes causing circulatory problems in your lower legs. Have you talked to your doctor or podiatrist about you tendinitis issues, prevention, or treatment options.

Hydration bags: You are going to have to carry water and it's going to add extra weight somewhere. Better to have too much water than not enough. I have a 3 liter bladder, I only put 1 liter in it, more if watering holes get scarce, and supplement it with bottled water when I stop at cafe/bars.
Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Kate, given your tendonosis, I would be take medical advice before embarking on the Camino. You could cause yourself even worse injury. There is no point embarking on the trip if you are going to be in constant pain. Personally, I would not do it.

Paris to Pamplona? Consider flying to Madrid from Paris and taking the train from there. Check out www.vueling.com (there are other carriers) for flights and Renfe.com for trains.

SJPdP to Roncesvalles: I found the gradient on the ascent/descent to be fairly easy but consider starting from Roncesvalles.

Walking poles: a definite "yes"! You can buy them in SJPdP but if starting in Pamplona or elsewhere you'd have to find a shop that sells them. Should be no problem in a city like Pamplona but smaller towns may not have them. I attach mine to my checked-in bag at the airport.

Hydration bag? Not for me. I found it too heavy and fussy and ditched it. There are plenty of opportunities on the trail to hydrate.

I could put off another Camino if the Forum think it advisable to let this injury heal for a longer time

Dont you think a doctor or fysio should help you decide such an important issue and not some random folks on a forum?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Katie, Congratulations. My humble suggestion.... SEE A GOOD DOCTOR. Definitely definitely. I've got near permanent damage on my lower back (wrong backpack on my first camino... I walked 1200 km) and that's still with me. BUT... I keep walking. I walk with 7 kilos . sometimes 8 .. but that's it !! I have regular exercise and medication. You'll be fine.. but get medical help asap. Buen Camino :) Caesar

My advice is go see a Podiatrist you may need orthotics. There is a very complex web of bones, muscle and tendons in our feet and a professional is really the person you need to consult. The answer may be something none of us know and your best chances of success will be with someone who can diagnose you correctly.

Buen Camino

Mark

I prefer a good water bottle with a Smart Tube. Lighter weight and easier to clean an refill. I carry a smaller empty bottle/thermos empty for extra water if needed, or for hot drinks or wine.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi! You didn't say where you walked last time, and that might be helpful for people providing advice. From what you've said, I think you are wise not to start in SJPP, as the ascent and descent are significant and you don't want to risk injury at the beginning! After Pamplona is better, but there is still a significant rise to Altos de Perdon and the descent from there. Certainly, you should take two walking sticks and keep you backpack as light as possible.

Sorry I don't have any advice on your other questions. I applaud your goal of just getting out there and walking.

I walked last time from Leon to Hospital del Orbigo (30 miles) then Sarria to Santiago (60 miles). Spain was having such a heat wave last summer.

My advice is go see a Podiatrist you may need orthotics. There is a very complex web of bones, muscle and tendons in our feet and a professional is really the person you need to consult. The answer may be something none of us know and your best chances of success will be with someone who can diagnose you correctly.

Buen Camino

Mark

I do have custom-made orthotics, and they're a lifesaver. Thank you!

I have a couple of things.

Shoes: Try different walking shoes. I have a very hard heel strike and I push off on the ball of my foot and great toe causing foot pain and blisters.. I switched to Adidas TeraX trekking shoes for my Portuguese camino. They have build in roll bars which prevent my feet from pronating in or out when I walk. They also have heavy duty shanks giving them very rigid soles. This has forced changed my gait and I now walk pain and blister free.

Poles: I will not leave home without them!!!!! They help you going up hill, they are a big help going down hill, and aid in maintaining balance at all times.. Mine fold up and fit in my pack which I always check in.

Tendinitis: 12 pounds pack, I wish. Just walking the camino can cause tendinitis. If you are a larger trekker, lack training, and are predisposed to muscle skeletal issues it's a good bet you are going to have problems. Does your diabetes preclude you from taking oral anti-inflammatory medications? Cortisone is a inject-able anti-inflammatory and should not cause insulin fluctuation. Is your diabetes causing circulatory problems in your lower legs. Have you talked to your doctor or podiatrist about you tendinitis issues, prevention, or treatment options.

Hydration bags: You are going to have to carry water and it's going to add extra weight somewhere. Better to have too much water than not enough. I have a 3 liter bladder, I only put 1 liter in it, more if watering holes get scarce, and supplement it with bottled water when I stop at cafe/bars.
Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Good advice, all of this. No circulatory problems but I am predisposed to musculo-skeletal problems. I can take anti-inflam mes no problem. I have talked to my podiatrist about the tendonosis, but am going to call again for another appointment and talk more. Thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Buy poles you can fit in your pack. Poles were the reason I went from my 36l to a 40 a few years later. And as a bonus I got a lighter pack. And have your backpack driven from albergue to albeegue: the dollar is in your favour, take advantage of it. And yes, dump the Camelback, get a Smartube.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Are you in the US? If so - I highly suggest that you research The Melt Method. The foot treatment they have completely changed my life - seriously. My Planter Faciatious is virtually gone (and I'm walking 8-12 miles a day right now) and my ankle which was just nagging after twisting it - was better within weeks. Seriously - it seems like a silly thing - but it really did work for me. Those balls are definitely coming with me and being used twice a day on my camino.

Hi everyone,

1) I had this problem last year. Time and rest seems to have healed it. And a brace that was suggested.

2) How best to get from Paris, where I'm flying in, to Pamplona, where I want to start my Camino? If you do not already have your ticket, consider flying into Madrid if you're going to start in Pamplona. You can walk out of the airport and onto a bus that will take you to Pamplona. If you are having tendonitis, I'd personally skip SJPP to Pamplona. It is STEEP uphill past Orisson, then steep down into Roncesvalles, and again very steep down into Zubiri. Also, the climb is a bit steep out of Pamplona. You may want to bus or taxi past Perdon to start.

3) What are people's opinions of hydration backpacks? I prefer water bottles, with so many places to fill them along the route. I carry one 8 ounce bottle. That's it. I have used a hydration pack but the weight is too much for me when I carry more than 8 ounces anyway, and it's a bugger to keep sanitized.

4) Is it worth it or not to ship hiking poles to oneself? Just buy a set of poles wherever you end up. There are shops in SJPP and Pamplona that have hiking poles. You can also buy one of those nice wooden palos made by the locals. They work just fine!

Out of curiousity, where did you walk last Camino?

Are you in the US? If so - I highly suggest that you research The Melt Method. The foot treatment they have completely changed my life - seriously. My Planter Faciatious is virtually gone (and I'm walking 8-12 miles a day right now) and my ankle which was just nagging after twisting it - was better within weeks. Seriously - it seems like a silly thing - but it really did work for me. Those balls are definitely coming with me and being used twice a day on my camino.

I am in the US, in Los Angeles. Please send me a link. What is the Melt Method? Thanks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'll add 2 cents worth :) And by the way..............you look familiar ;) I suspect we may have met last year....

1) Please seek professional advice. We can all provide tips based on our own experience and injury, but it may not be appropriate. I would see your doctor, then a podiatrist and then a really good Physio.

They will advise on the best stretches etc. I am still seeing all three trying to sort myself out to go again this year. I'll get Achilles cortisone shots a month before I depart. Like you I still carry the previous injuries, but I know how to deal with them now.

And I also need to lose weight :oops: Not just for my health, but the strain it puts on my lower body and back....

2) Paris is probably not the ideal entry point for a Pamplona start, but others will advise. There will be lots of good options.

Definitely use 2 poles. And the climb up and down to Roncesvalles, compared to Portomarin. No comparison. Sorry :(

The descent down to Portomarin was a 'blip' or 'speed bump' compared to others such as down to Roncesvalles and the worst, down to Molineseca. As for the climb out of Portomarin, hmmm. I wondered why people were huffing and puffing going up it..... Again a very minor incline compared to those other sections.

3) if the water bladder weight worries you, just use bottles, Many do. But make sure you hydrate well. particularly with your challenges. I'd use a bladder given that.

4) Poles can be transported as checked in luggage in a mailing tube, or bought when you get there. But not all Poles are the same. You might want to use the ones you train with ;)

Another thought..........

Get your gear transported! That way you probably only need to carry 2-3kg. And you can take other 'support' gear that might prove useful. Just a thought. :rolleyes:

To enjoy your Camino as much as possible, I'd be looking at ways to make it easy on yourself. It's hard enough without additional health issues ;)

Buen Camino :)

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Someone may have sent you their bill for them if they had been asked to leave them at the airport ;)

I may have to add a disclaimer to my signature block :oops:

Don't Trust this Information. Pilgrims reading this post should not take the information as 'Gospel' but conduct their own investigations and research before making any important decisions.

The information contained here was provided in good faith, but may be flawed. Considerably flawed actually :(

It is based on the experience of a 'one hit wonder' Pilgrim who thinks having walked the Camino Frances once...for a few hundred kilometres it makes him an instant expert on all things Camino! His experience is also based on having walked in wonderful weather, with really nice people, and he never even stayed in a 'dorm' room type Albergue. Humour him.....

His memories of the less enjoyable experiences on the Camino are clouded by failing memory, rose tinted spectacles and more importantly a fairly constant over supply of Vino Tinto. He is now in 'treatment' for this and is gradually being weaned onto Plum Juice which his wife assures him is a really interesting new wine from Rioja....;) So far she is managing to pull this off.

He does not intend to cause misinformation. Certainly means no harm, but his comments at times may need to be considered as being about as valid and useful as those of 'Father Jack' in the TV Series (Father Ted)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Father_Ted_characters.

It may be worth taking note of when he next plans to walk a Camino. So you can avoid him. Meeting him whilst walking may cause damage to your sanity but more importantly your liver..... Oh, and your waistline. He tends to eat his way across Spain........ So definitely ignore any nutritional advice he 'provides'.................:eek:

Last edited:
And the climb up and down to Roncesvalles, compared to Portomarin. No comparison. Sorry :(

The descent down to Portomarin was a 'blip' or 'speed bump' compared to others such as down to Roncesvalles and the worst, down to Molineseca. As for the climb out of Portomarin, hmmm. I wondered why people were huffing and puffing going up it..... Again a very minor incline compared to those other sections.

Please tell me more about the climb up and down to Roncesvalles and how it does NOT compare to Portomarin. Why is Molinaseca the worst? Thanks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Those several descents (and ascents) are not so much different from each other. Everyone has their favourite, I suppose. It depends SO much on the weather conditions, and your own condition - injury, time of day, how far you've walked, what your mood is, whether you are being pressured to keep up with others, etc. The only thing extra difficult about descending to Roncesvalles is that it is likely to be only day 1 or 2, and at the end of a long day walking. The other descents are only bad if they are slippery, your footing is unstable, your knees have been injured, or your legs are very tired. As a 67-year-old I know that all of those things can be true, so I avoided doing a tough section at the end of a long day. I walked slowly when necessary. I used two poles. The walk up to Orisson was not a trivial walk, but I kept my pack light, walked slowly, and importantly, did not try to have a conversation while walking!

Given what you've said, I'd suggest not starting in SJPP. That stage is not so spectacular that it's worth risking injury so early in your walk. And it's not easy to change your mind halfway to Roncesvalles! Have you thought about starting in Roncesvalles instead?

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back