• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoe Input - first camino in Summer

Symphony

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2016
Hi guys! As some know from the Newbie section, I'm planning my first Camino (Frances) for summer 2016.

At the moment, my two main decisions are footwear and backpack; and I'm looking at footwear first! I have spent a lengthy amount of time in an outdoor shop talking to a girl who is familiar with the camino, however I'd like to get further input if you folk don't mind :)

Generally I wear a size 7.5-8 shoe in women's. I was thinking I'd be looking at the type that are semi-trail shoe, semi-boot style. Maybe mid-cut? I have weak ankles (strengthened very much due to prior running and gym based training, but it would still be a worry for me of rolling them) so I was trying some models with better ankle protection. She noted that most of their models of Merrel, Scarpa, etc all ended at 8. I tried those but no way - toes almost at the top, wouldn't run the risk.

So, I tried a few men's also. I really liked the Scarpa Moraine plus size 9, and came away with the real interest in those. However, since reading up (mostly here!) a number of threads have mentioned to steer away from heavier boots in the summer because your feet would overheat from the temperatures.

This leads me to wonder if, for the summer, I can worry less about slippery areas causing me to fall and roll the ankle, and perhaps be safe enough in hiking-modelled style runners? I'd appreciate any input anyone could offer me. I'm aware of the the whole boots for some, trail shoes for others debate - which is why I hope the background info here might help with applying advise to me!

Thanks in advance, and buen camino :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Having weak ankles myself, I had the same considerations as you. And I decided to walk on higher boots (First Lowa Camino, and now I use Lowa Renegade, which is slightly lighter) and I am quite sure I will continue to do so. No matter the season, there is always some rocky or slippery & I just feel so much more comfortable wearing highers shoes and feeling less stressed about possibly twisting my ankle. (I guess there is a considerable psychological element in this for me).
I have read about overheated feet, but personally this has never bothered me / I have never experienced this.
Hope this is helpfull. All feet are different though, so it may take some trial-and-error before you find what is most comfortable for you.

Another Lowa Renegade fan here, but YOU need to try them out YOURSELF to see if they really fit YOUR FEET. Forum recommendations only can get you so far. Buen Camino, SY

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Footwear is such a personal thing, but walking the Frances in the summer you really need to go lightweight and mid-height boots are fine.

I use Merrel Moab GTX mids.

I also note that you found a comfortable fit one size larger, which is recommended by many as it allows for your socks, insoles and the fact that your feet will swell a bit walking every day for such long distances.

If you can't find women's boots in the size you need, try men's boots. A number of ladies on these forums use men's boots which they say fit them well.

I broke an ankle a couple of years ago so do understand your concern about rolling or twisting. I also fall over a lot, because I have no depth perception. Having said that, I now wear walking sandals. My stability comes from the proper use of trekking sticks (two). They hare saved me uncountable times.

image.jpeg Columbia TreckLites and or Ecco Closed toe sandals.

But shoes / boots are very personal to your feet

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
To personal to say. Try try try is al you can do, but If there was one thing i could say, it would be to to stay away from goretex/waterproof boots or shoes in summer.

The CF is just a walk, your not climbing mountains, heavy boots are not needed. Lightweight shoes that fit your foottype (neutral, pronating) and maybe an extra insole should be fine.
If anything does not feel comfortable, on to the next.

I have not gone the Camino yet, but i'm going to go in my Lowa when the time comes.
Hope i've made the right choice.

Attachments

• 2015-11-18 10.24.03.jpg
    2015-11-18 10.24.03.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
To personal to say. Try try try is al you can do, but If there was one thing i could say, it would be to to stay away from goretex/waterproof boots or shoes in summer.

The CF is just a walk, your not climbing mountains, heavy boots are not needed. Lightweight shoes that fit your foottype (neutral, pronating) and maybe an extra insole should be fine.
If anything does not feel comfortable, on to the next.
And there are light boots that are higher and can help with the ankle. (Mind you, I have yet to understand the bit about how a slightly higher boot can help with the ankle, but that's a whole other story ... Like Kanga I have walked the Camino in trekking sandals, feeling much more balanced and in control because I was not perched up on a super thick sole).

Height doesn't have to translate into weight. Hoka One now makes ankle height trekking boots, and they are a LOT lighter then the Mammut leather boot I was once posses to bring.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walk in Lowa Renegade boots and I like them. Berghaus backpack. I normally use the 35L bag that I've got ... I've got 4 more .. but larger sized ones.

, I have yet to understand the bit about how a slightly higher boot can help with the ankle, but that's a whole other story ...

I read this argument all the time, but like you also don't understand how this will help.

At the moment, my two main decisions are footwear and backpack; and I'm looking at footwear first! I have spent a lengthy amount of time in an outdoor shop talking to a girl who is familiar with the camino, however I'd like to get further input if you folk don't mind

As others have said, footwear is so personal. And the shops where you are may not stock, let alone know about, the various recommendations being made. My experience tells me there is only one way to find out what works, namely to buy and use on many day trips. And be courageous enough to discard what doesn't seem to work and start over.

(Edited on 4 January to remove an observation that some may find gratuitously unhelpful.)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I now wear walking sandals

Seeing what others have done I've also tried walking sandals. I was always getting stones under my foot and my podiatrist prescribed orthotic kept slipping out. I would like to try again.

Kanga, can you please suggest some brands / retailers that might be available this side of the ditch.

I just bought a pair of Merrells in the sales, and I was amazed that I took a size 12. Normally I'm a 10.5 or 11 for boots. They're mid height, probably the lightest boots I've ever had, but every time I look at them they start screaming 'Take us on Camino! Take us on Camino!'

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I just bought a pair of Merrells in the sales, and I was amazed that I took a size 12. Normally I'm a 10.5 or 11 for boots. They're mid height, probably the lightest boots I've ever had, but every time I look at them they start screaming 'Take us on Camino! Take us on Camino!'
It is the same for me. My winter walking leather boots are size 10 but my Merrel Moab GTX mids are size 11.

They are so comfortable straight out of the box. Back in May/June I walked just over 1,000kms on the Frances and to the coast and back. No problems at all. No hotspots no blisters.

Perfect choice for me....

Hi Symphony you are totally correct in putting your footwear first. On our first camino my wife walked 350miles with no heel on one foot due to a bad choice of footwear. On our second camino a combination of Keen sandals and Merrels did the trick no blisters for either of us, being able to change helped us greatly and there are no hot feet with the Keens.
Ps take it easy and don't over do it that is another cause of the blisters as is weight

I have bought a pair of men's (wide feet) Teva Vibram low rise boots and they have been great ,walked 12 km in them within a week of buying them and no blisters or problems ,the brands I have been recommended are Keen,Teva and
Lowa ,by going to men's I can get the right foot width.
Have had major surgery on both feet so must be mad wanting to do Camino ,but orthopaedic surgeon is happy.
Also received my pack this week ,after a recommendation from the forum ,Aarn pack ,website Aarn.com ,pack I have is the marathon magic ,30 litre plus two 1.5 front packs
Here's hoping they are the right ones ! Roll on sept

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
View attachment 23125 Columbia TreckLites and or Ecco Closed toe sandals.

But shoes / boots are very personal to your feet

perfect combination for a summer camino imho! in 2014 walked with almost identical set, alternating runners/sandals depending on terrain. not a single blister. in contrast met quite a few pilgrims in performance mountaineering boots with completely ruined feet. there is a lot of concerns about "weak ankles" and need to support them, but normally neither the load to carry nor terrain on camino requires it so much. just check how stable you feel on the rugged path with a backpack. finally, walking with poles may be a solution if the ankles are in question. do not underestimate the power of this component (see, it is in the background of the picture above) :)

Thanks everyone for the replies - I intend to read properly after work today :)

I appreciate of course that my feet / gait / requirements will not be the same as anyone else's here, but it's just having a bit of guidance that makes a world of difference.

Trying them in the shop is one thing. But hearing positive/negatives from folk who have actually tried walking in the various models, I think, will be a great help! :)

re Sandals
mine are Eccos - which should be available in NZ

Kanga, thanks. Went to bed early so having a mid-night look.

Yes, Ecco have an NZ site and one model that looks like yours comes up. They offer free delivery and returns @ NZD 239.

I have an orthotic to minimise roll. In my limited trials with sandals that are open to the back, the orthotic eases out quite quickly. On the plus side, the use of velcro straps in the front in particular mean less worry about getting a wide fitting.

They have another model that is more like an open shoe and offers toe protection. Regrettably, it is also open to the back.

Thanks again for your reply.

And there are light boots that are higher and can help with the ankle. (Mind you, I have yet to understand the bit about how a slightly higher boot can help with the ankle, but that's a whole other story ... Like Kanga I have walked the Camino in trekking sandals, feeling much more balanced and in control because I was not perched up on a super thick sole).

Height doesn't have to translate into weight. Hoka One now makes ankle height trekking boots, and they are a LOT lighter then the Mammut leather boot I was once posses to bring.
What about the Hoka one, one. Anyone tried to walk With them?

What about the Hoka one, one. Anyone tried to walk With them?

Bought Hokas, wore that evening, got blisters on my heels, have now reverted back to my trail runners (with such a snug fit, blisters are not a problem)

Wear whatever's comfortable, avoid Goretex in the summer (too hot), I wear Vibram soles but not required in mainly dry weather - don't need to be too technical since most of the time you will be walking on softer paths and harder roads even when ascending or descending

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Bought Hokas, wore that evening, got blisters on my heels, have now reverted back to my trail runners (with such a snug fit, blisters are not a problem)

Wear whatever's comfortable, avoid Goretex in the summer (too hot), I wear Vibram soles but not required in mainly dry weather - don't need to be too technical since most of the time you will be walking on softer paths and harder roads even when ascending or descending
Did you try the Hoka Trekking shoes? They are with Vibram soles. I bought a pair of Biondi or what have you as they were about 50$. How wrong could I go? This being said, isn't getting blisters before breaking a shoe in normal? Is it not worth trying them for a few more hours?

As for Gortex, it's all I have worn on the CF so far. I am so happy to have the Goetex when it rains or have to walk through watwr. As for how stiff/soft a shoe you need, it matters more on your foot then terrain. I now shop a lot and ring all pairs to my podiatrist who makes a short list, I then walk in her short list for a few Km to find the winner.

Did you try the Hoka Trekking shoes? They are with Vibram soles. I bought a pair of Biondi or what have you as they were about 50$. How wrong could I go? This being said, isn't getting blisters before breaking a shoe in normal? Is it not worth trying them for a few more hours?

As for Gortex, it's all I have worn on the CF so far. I am so happy to have the Goetex when it rains or have to walk through watwr. As for how stiff/soft a shoe you need, it matters more on your foot then terrain. I now shop a lot and ring all pairs to my podiatrist who makes a short list, I then walk in her short list for a few Km to find the winner.

Yes, they were the new Hoka Speedgoats with Vibram soles and so much cushioning (28mm!) - someone was asked why he took an instant dislike to another named sportsman and his reply was "it saves time" - I have the same response to shoes that give me bad blisters - so straight back to my wonderful zero-drop trail runners and only 4mm of cushioning

The trouble with Goretex membranes in very warm weather is the perspiration - trail runners have the opposite approach in that the uppers let water in rapidly - but then as I continue walking I find that my feet dry very quickly (or you can change socks) and also that mud doesn't cling for long either

But each to their own

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.