• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dark colored shoes too hot in summer?

Roma247

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2024
I'll be hiking the Camino Frances in June/July.

I'm working on finding a suitable pair of trail runners and have gone both to REI and a specialty running store to be fitted and try out different styles. So far I've narrowed it down to probably the Topo Ultraventure 3.

But having spent time in Greece in the summer, I found that the sun beating down on dark colored shoes can make your feet excessively hot. I would prefer a lighter colored shoe, but that model only comes in three dark colors: purple, navy and red.

I did find a model online that is white, a special eco version, but they seem to be mostly sold out and I would have to get a pair that's 1/2 size larger. I've seen advice saying going up 1/2 to a full size can be a good idea, but this is a shoe that already has a wide toe box and in my size there is already ample room in the toe. And with narrow heels, I'm worried that going up a size may cause problems...

Am I overthinking this? 🥸

Has anyone noticed any difference between dark and light colored shoes in that intense Spanish sun?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
All else being equal, maybe a light colour would be better than a dark colour. However, all else is not usually equal, and getting the correct fit and shape seem far more important. I would choose the shoe based on best comfort, and only then choose a preferred colour.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Am I overthinking this?
Mm, to be totally, perhaps brutally, honest, yes, in my opinion, yes. There are people on this forum who would delight in explaining, in great detail, why, but the colour (and reflective qualities) of your shoes will have only a minimal effect on how hot your feet are inside them. Take the advice my fellow members have given, which is find a good pair of shoes and buy them. Your feet will thank you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Has anyone noticed any difference between dark and light colored shoes in that intense Spanish sun?
I'd view that as a combination of colour and material thing.

Personally, I use army boots, and the dust from the trail usually helps against that problem -- I quickly found that just letting them stay dirty is the best plan. But with some shoes, that might not work.

There are two sources of heat as far as your feet are concerned -- direct sunlight, and hot walking surfaces. So if that's a worry, make sure your soles are sufficiently insulated against the walking surface, and then choose shoes that either can get dirty with trail dust or ones that won't roast your feet from dark colour or inappropriate material.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Contrary to some of the posts and accepting the wisdom that lighter colours reflect heat, experiments have been conducted that support the wearing of lighter colour footwear to reduce the heat in the feet of the wearer.
I do not know whether the OP suffers from hot or sweaty feet and perhaps, if this is the case, then sandals may be a better option.
Experiments have shown that in areas of heat there is a mean increase of between 7 and 13 degree Fahrenheit after 30 minutes exposurel between a black and a white shoe which would confirm that darker colours absorb and retain heat.

Last edited:
While darker colors DO tend to absorb more heat, if the shoe is made of ventilated material / mesh, this will counter the heat gain - IMHO and experience. Many shoes / boots are manufactured of some sort of breathable mesh to dry fast and breathe well. I rarely see anyone with traditional ,solid leather lower hiking boots or shoes.

Fit is far more important than color and the potential for a slight heat gain. Regarding the OP (above) I recommend you up size any footwear you buy, in this manner:
  • Starting with your street shoe size, add 1/2 size if you will be wearing thicker hiking socks, or two pair of socks (liner) and outer, cushioning pair.
  • Then add another 1/2 size if your feet swell at the end of a long warm day. Walking the Camino in Summer certainly qualifies.
  • Finally, add one more 1/2 size if you are going to be walking for several weeks and your feet splay or actually expand in reaction to walking with a loaded rucksack for weeks. Mine do - everytime - by 1/2 size. In fact, after several years of walking long (3-4 week+) Caminos, my feet expanded permanently, from size 11.0 to size 11.5 (US).
Thus, my second pair of Keen Targhee II mid-height boots are a size 13 (US). My original starting point was a US size 11 street shoe. By way of the above suggestions, based on experience, I arrived at a calculated size 12.5 (US). But, this particular Keen model is reported by Keen, to be sized small by 1/2 size. So, my size 13 is really a size 12.5. Bingo! They fit wonderfully in all conditions.

Remember, this is for ME. Your experience may vary. But, this discussion underscores the critical need to ensure that your footwear is professionally fitted, wearing the actual sock combination you plan to wear on Camino - in my case that was two pair of socks. You should also shop for footwear at the end of a day, where you have been on your feet a lot.

As an aside, my local REI stores actually have a meter-high fiberglass, faux uphill that you can walk up and down on, to test the front to rear slide of your boots when properly fitted. You can also put on a store rucksack loaded with sandbags to walk around the store while wearing the boots. It beats mail order - unless you already KNOW your footwear solution.

Lastly, having a wide or roomy toe box is a plus, however it ought not factor into the initial determination of weather the boots FIT. The fit is largely determined by the length - and toe clearance up front, width - and how well the laces hold the foot in place, both front-to-back and up-and-down.

Having room to wiggle your toes is definitely a plus. But this only describes having enough vertical and side-to-side space in the toe box. It does not necessarily describe whether you have enough front-to-back clearance.

Above all, your toes should NEVER - EVER contact the inside front of the towbox when walking down stairs or a slope while outside - when your motion forces your foot forward in the shoes or boots - that is what lacing is for - reducing foot sliding in the shoe / boot. This results in bruises, blisters, and lost toenails - ick! It is not pretty and is never comfortable. nI have seen it end more than one Camino.

Our resident expert on the footwear issue is DaveBugg. You can PM him for personal guidance. Or, he may see this post and chime in.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walk with middlebrown all leather boots in July 2019 and had far less problems than all those walkers with the hightech synthetic fabric trailrunners on their feet.
Even a full step bigger is no problem, your feet will thank you.

Last edited:
Yep. IMHO, you're overthinking this.
Get the right size and go for comfort.
DON'T FORGET TO FACTOR IN THE RIGHT SOCKS.
I wear 2 layers of socks when walking - one lightweight (usually Injinji, but any light sock could do) , one Smartwool for hiking.
This could impact the size shoe you get.

Loved my Topos for the Camino last Sept/Oct. They were dark color, and didn't notice any issues. Following guidance from fellow peregrinos I used a liner sock (Injinji) and then wool - Darn Tough. This did require me to size up. Also, no blisters.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I used a pair of black Salomons in 2022. Not my first choice of color, but they fit great. I wondered at times whether the color was affecting heat absorption. I rationalized to myself that it probably helps them dry quicker in the sun at the end of the day, so it all balances out. 😆

The footwear I used backpacking across Death Valley were a dark gray color. I didn't notice that my feet were uncomfortably hot from the uppers being lit up by the sun. I did notice that anytime on pavement the bottoms of my feet warmed up from the surface temps I walked on.

There is a guide I wrote and posted regarding how to properly fit footwear for backpacking or distance walking. It is found HERE

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.