• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoes...1/2 or 1 size larger?

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
There is lots of information and opinions regarding shoe types for the Camino...hiking shoes, hiking boots, trail runners, waterproof, etc. As far as shoe size goes, many walkers recommend going up a full shoe size to accommodate swollen feet and to avoid black toes on the downhills. I do not seem to struggle with swollen feet but have not walked in the heat of summer. I do need new shoes this year for my upcoming spring Camino as my previous pair does not have enough tread left. I have been very happy using trail runners and have been trying out a few different pairs.

My problem is that if I go up a full size, then my heel wants to lift up out of the shoe's heel no matter how tight I do the laces, and the toe box seems so roomy I fear I would get blisters from my foot moving around as I walk. I really do not understand the thinking on going up a "full size". Anyone else experience the same problems as me? I'm thinking I'll just go up a half size and call it a day.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Different people have different feelings about this, so it's up to you.
I buy my shoes 1 full size larger and if they "lift" as you describe, I wear two pair of socks.
My feet DO swell, and by the second day, the shoes are fitting fine.
You can also buy heel lifts to put in the shoes until they fit.
For me, it's a full size, but I'm 65 and my feet tend to swell.

Some people find their feet do not swell at all, but my experience in taking groups is that most people are happier if they have a shoe at least 1/2 size larger.
Those who stick to their regular size generally have had to purchase new shoes along the route, or suffer.

As the above poster asked, why not keep to what worked for you on your previous Caminos???

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Different people have different feelings about this, so it's up to you.
I buy my shoes 1 full size larger and if they "lift" as you describe, I wear two pair of socks.
My feet DO swell, and by the second day, the shoes are fitting fine.
You can also buy heel lifts to put in the shoes until they fit.
For me, it's a full size, but I'm 65 and my feet tend to swell.

Some people find their feet do not swell at all, but my experience in taking groups is that most people are happier if they have a shoe at least 1/2 size larger.
Those who stick to their regular size generally have had to purchase new shoes along the route, or suffer.

As the above poster asked, why not keep to what worked for you on your previous Caminos???
On both past Caminos my shoes were older from my closet and broken in. This is my first experience "starting from scratch" and new models of trail runners are changing styles and shapes, so I'm just trying to "get it right"...whatever that is, but I am feeling more confident with going just the half size up. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I couldn't tell you what size my hiking shoe is. I started by trying on my known size and then went up in 1/2 size increments. After years (2 decades) hiking and backpacking I know what my problems are. What I do is put on the shoe with one pair of socks (I've never worn 2. Not even in below zero temps) that I like. Normally it's a light weight hiker style sock for summer or heavier for heavy snow and cold. I then walk around and see how it feels. I jump on the rock/hill simulator that REI has and see how my foot fits on a steep downward incline. If my toes touch then I move up 1/2 a size until I feel comfortable that it won't bang the front or that my heel won't lift up. Plus I also fit my custom hard orthotics.

I also, for the first time, went to a wide shoe for my new Merrel Moabs. It fits so much better and will leave me room when my feet swell. Mine only swell in the heat even when I'm not hiking.

Everybody is different. You have enough experience that you can decide what works for you. I wouldn't change it based on someone else's opinion.

I really do not understand the thinking on going up a "full size".
The thinking is simply that you shoes or boots should be plenty roomy! It is thoroughly discussed on this thread. .You shouldn't make your decision on the basis of the number displayed on the box.

An arbitrary number of sizes "bigger than normal" does not make sense. Are the models otherwise identical? What size units are people talking about - US half sizes, US full sizes, UK sizes, or European? How roomy are your "normal" shoes, and do you have long toes or short ones like mine that never get near the end of a shoe?

Every time you buy new shoes or boots, you will have to judge how big to go without going too big. I find a model that fits most "like a glove" and seems the best shape for my foot. Then I try the next larger size. If it is not "too big," I try the next larger size. When I get to the too-big one, I back up and buy the previous one. Then I go to a mall for some brisk indoor walking to confirm that it's OK, perhaps switching socks or inner soles. I do this for all my walking shoes/boots, whether camino or not, but it is certainly more critical for the camino.

I could wear smaller shoes for most purposes but don't see any reason to do so, so now this is my "normal" size.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The thinking is simply that you shoes or boots should be plenty roomy! It is thoroughly discussed on this thread. .You shouldn't make your decision on the basis of the number displayed on the box.

An arbitrary number of sizes "bigger than normal" does not make sense. Are the models otherwise identical? What size units are people talking about - US half sizes, US full sizes, UK sizes, or European? How roomy are your "normal" shoes, and do you have long toes or short ones like mine that never get near the end of a shoe?

Every time you buy new shoes or boots, you will have to judge how big to go without going too big. I find a model that fits most "like a glove" and seems the best shape for my foot. Then I try the next larger size. If it is not "too big," I try the next larger size. When I get to the too-big one, I back up and buy the previous one. Then I go to a mall for some brisk indoor walking to confirm that it's OK, perhaps switching socks or inner shoes. I do this for all my walking shoes/boots, whether camino or not, but it is certainly more critical for the camino.

I could wear smaller shoes for most purposes but don't see any reason to do so, so now this is my "normal" size.
Everyone responding seems to have a different idea on how they determine what shoe size to go with. Lots of bery good suggestions on how to go about determining what works best! My personal foot issues are...fairly flat feet, low instep, not much arch, bunions, and Morton's toe (the 2nd toe longer than the big toe), to name a few. :) I always wished I had short toes like you!

Everyone responding seems to have a different idea on how they determine what shoe size to go with.
I am with @C clearly about what might be done, and note that some of us have been offering similar advice for several years on what might be a good alternative to the advice to buy footwear that is a specific size increment larger than your normal street footwear. Some of my early contributions follow, the first is general advice, the second a specific technique that I use when getting footwear fitted.

Get your camino footwear fitted properly by someone who knows what they are doing in a store with a fitting slope.
  • Don't do it in the morning if you can avoid it, and spend as much of the day on your feet as possible. Don't park out the front of the store, but walk a little way if you can for a few more minutes of walking. And wear your loosest fitting shoes. This gives your feet some chance to relax and spread, as they will do when you are walking every day.
  • Wear or carry the socks (liner and outer) that you think you will use, or ones close in thickness, and wear these for the fitting.
  • Make sure you take time to test the toe clearance and heel snugness on the fitting slope.
  • Or you can test toe clearance by removing the inner sole and putting your foot on it so that your heel lines up with the heel of the inner sole. If there isn't at least a centimetre of clearance between your toes and the front edge of the inner sole with your socks on, consider getting the next size up.

When all that is done, don't be surprised if the size that fits is larger than your normal footwear.

I find an easier technique is to remove the inner/liner sole from the boot for your longest foot, stand up on it with your heel in place where it will be on the liner, and check the distance between your longest toe and the front of the liner. As a rule of thumb, less than a cm is not enough, more than the width of your thumb is too much.

Getting the length right is only one of the fitting considerations. The boot needs to be wide enough without pinching, and your heel shouldn't slide up and down in the back of the boot when it is laced up snugly and you are walking up or down a slope. My hints on fitting are at this post.

If you have never had hiking boots fitted before, take the time to find a store where there is someone who that can do this properly.

Regards

ps the inner soles on good trekking footwear will be removable, and you won't damage the boot or shoe by removing it. Once you have checked for length, it should easily fit back into the boot. If in doubt, ask the sales person to remove it for you.
I have removed a comment about fitting slopes because it referred to local retailers and is now out of date. My underlying point was about the importance of finding a retailer who has a fitting slope if some of the issues like heel lift and boots being too short are to be avoided.

I am with @C clearly about what might be done, and note that some of us have been offering similar advice for several years on what might be a good alternative to the advice to buy footwear that is a specific size increment larger than your normal street footwear. Some of my early contributions follow, the first is general advice, the second a specific technique that I use when getting footwear fitted.

I have removed a comment about fitting slopes because it referred to local retailers and is now out of date. My underlying point was about the importance of finding a retailer who has a fitting slope if some of the issues like heel lift and boots being too short are to be avoided.
Thank you, Doug, for contributing such a detailed and helpful reply. I notice you are always a wealth of knowledge and good advise whenever I see your comments on the forum.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just use what worked for you before. Personally I'd never get a set of shoes one full size larger.
I also carried an extra set of insoles with me. Aftermarket. In the event the insoles I have in the shoes aren't working well. I have the option to try something different.

Just use what worked for you before. Personally I'd never get a set of shoes one full size larger.
I also carried an extra set of insoles with me. Aftermarket. In the event the insoles I have in the shoes aren't working well. I have the option to try something different.
Good idea to carry extra insoles. Thanks for the tip!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
All this is interesting but I have enough problems finding size 15s as is! However, REI, IIRC, has a short film on how to tie your shoes to prevent heel lift.
I'll try to find that video. Thank you. All the suggestions here are making me more confident in what to look for in new shoes. I have one month left to search for the right shoe and get a good fit before I go...should be plenty of time!

Ugh. I'm breaking in new boots for an upcoming winter trip. They were on sale so I went up 1/2 size for economics, not comfort.

Mistake. I'm slopping all over, though gerardcarey's wonderful lacing video helped quite a bit today. If I wear heavier socks, my toes go to sleep. But I'm determined to make these things work.

Suggestions, anyone?

Ugh. I'm breaking in new boots for an upcoming winter trip. They were on sale so I went up 1/2 size for economics, not comfort.
Mistake. I'm slopping all over
Try experimenting with different inner soles, or even putting a thin layer of something under the inner sole that you use. I found some thin plastic-foam material that is meant to go under flooring, and cut a shape to fit under my inner sole. It is only about 1 mm thick and makes quite a difference. I prefer this to wearing a thick sock. (My shoes are about 1/4 size bigger than ideal, but it's better than being 1/4 size too small.)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Chris

I'm doing my first Camino in April (not long now). I went to have my new boots fitted. I purchased a pair only to wear them at home in case I wanted to return them, which was what happened. One foot was fine but the other felt squashed after a few walks up and down the stairs so I returned them. I took the socks I intend wearing with me, these were sock liners and my walking socks. I was given a size 1/2 bigger to which they actually felt smaller but these were a different make, so I have gone up a whole size bigger. My thing with my feet are, sometimes I'm a size 5 or sometimes I'm a size 51/2. The makes are all different sizes too so I'd recommend trying lots on. So I wasn't sure what size I was to go for. So I've now gone for a size 6 1/2 which are absolutely fine with my 2 pairs of socks, I've also room for any swelling and/or plasters or bandages. But you right in not having the heel slip out. I was told this is where the blisters will start if your slipping out of the heel socket too much.
I was recommended certain makes of walking boots but I've gone with what is more comfortable for me. Some boots are wider fitter than others so I'd say definitely try them all on and all different sizes. Wear them around the house with tags still on so you can return them if needed. These will be your best investment!

Repeat, and repeat again...NO TWO FEET ARE THE SAME. Even on a single person, the left and right foot are frequently slightly different.

The persistent up and down heel motion, even with laces properly done up is frequently caused by a foot having a narrow heel. Remember, no two feet are exactly the same. It is normal for a heel to move up and down, from one to two cm or about 1/4" to 3/8." More than that, and blisters will occur.

You can compensate for an overly narrow heel by obtaining a molded foam or plastic heel "cup" to both cushion and fill the gap for the one foot, or both, that happen to be narrower than is the "norm." When you feel you can, as your feet become accustomed to your footwear and the footwear conforms to your feet after a week or two of daily walking, simply remove the prosthetic cup(s). These insertable, soft plastic heel cups can been easily obtained in most pharmacies and many grocery stores in the US.

Also, even if you try on two exact same brand and style shoes or boots in the same size from the same stock room, there is likely to be some small variance in the way the upper parts of the footwear are stitched together. For all the modern technology, major parts of most boots and shoes are still sewn at places. Depending on WHO is doing the sewing, and how consistent they are from pair to pair, the fit can be ever so slightly better or worse.

This phenomenon is more common with daily wear shoes. How many times have you tried on a pair of stylish shoes for work or casual wear, only to find that a different pair in the same size somehow fit better? However, when you are up-sizing to allow for multiple pairs of socks, special orthotics, or to allow for swelling, etc., the slight assembly variance is easy to overlook.

I hope this helps.

To follow up on Tom's comments and several that began to touch on the subject of getting expert advice. I would recommend getting EXPERT ADVICE from a professional at some place like REI or your local hiking running shop or even a foot doctor. Your two feet are your only mode of transportation other than a bus or train if your feet stop working for you. Your feet will be the two best friends you have on the Camino; treat them well with kindness and care.
I won't dare make the comparison to what you might do to your beloved automobile when it sputtering and stalling in need of service. Oh I know, you ask the clerk at the 7/11, can you fix this for me?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Repeat, and repeat again...NO TWO FEET ARE THE SAME. Even on a single person, the left and right foot are frequently slightly different.

The persistent up and down heel motion, even with laces properly done up is frequently caused by a foot having a narrow heel. Remember, no two feet are exactly the same. It is normal for a heel to move up and down, from one to two cm or about 1/4" to 3/8." More than that, and blisters will occur.

You can compensate for an overly narrow heel by obtaining a molded foam or plastic heel "cup" to both cushion and fill the gap for the one foot, or both, that happen to be narrower than is the "norm." When you feel you can, as your feet become accustomed to your footwear and the footwear conforms to your feet after a week or two of daily walking, simply remove the prosthetic cup(s). These insertable, soft plastic heel cups can been easily obtained in most pharmacies and many grocery stores in the US.

Also, even if you try on two exact same brand and style shoes or boots in the same size from the same stock room, there is likely to be some small variance in the way the upper parts of the footwear are stitched together. For all the modern technology, major parts of most boots and shoes are still sewn at places. Depending on WHO is doing the sewing, and how consistent they are from pair to pair, the fit can be ever so slightly better or worse.

This phenomenon is more common with daily wear shoes. How many times have you tried on a pair of stylish shoes for work or casual wear, only to find that a different pair in the same size somehow fit better? However, when you are up-sizing to allow for multiple pairs of socks, special orthotics, or to allow for swelling, etc., the slight assembly variance is easy to overlook.

I hope this helps.
Wow, thank you! Just when I thought all possible helpful tips were already shared by prior comments, you come along and fine tune the process even further! Do you own a shoe store or manage a shoe factory? :rolleyes:

I plan to walk the Camino in my teva sandals mostly, so I guess this doesn't apply to me. But I will also bring a pair of my minimal Merrell bare access trail runners as well. It's true to allow for some foot swelling if you plan to walk/hike long distances. But you don't want too much room where your feet will move and create friction. I've always worn a size 12. Fits snug, but I do have about half an inch of space in front. Gives me enough wiggle room without being loose.

Everyone's different tho. So I'd stick with a brand/style you know fits you well and wear it a lot before traveling.

Teva sandals work for me, because I grew up on the ocean and I've always felt shoes were prisons for my feet. Lol. Tevas are rugged and i hike in em all the time. Others might not think so. But again, everyone's different. So whatever works for you. If it gets cold, I throw on some socks and wear my minimal Merrell trailrunners. Makes for a very light combo.

Bien Camino!

Wow, thank you! Just when I thought all possible helpful tips were already shared by prior comments, you come along and fine tune the process even further! Do you own a shoe store or manage a shoe factory? :rolleyes:

No, I just pay attention, ask a lot of questions, read a lot, and have accumulated a lot of useless (at times) information in my scattering grey cells over 60 plus years. However, I am a whiz at playing trivia games.;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walk my Caminos in the shoes i wear every other day of the year. I buy a new pair when the old ones are getting tired, (same brand, size, and model) and the tired ones become my gardening shoes. I do try to time it so i have worn the new pair a couple of weeks before doing any serious walking.
I buy a new pair of crocs when there is a good sale

Second the advice to get your footwear fitted at a specialist shop. And get good socks.

Try experimenting with different inner soles, or even putting a thin layer of something under the inner sole that you use.

Thanks, I've never used inner soles so looks like a trip to the drug store is in order to see if Dr. Scholl can help!

You can compensate for an overly narrow heel by obtaining a molded foam or plastic heel "cup" to both cushion and fill the gap

Going to try the heel cup and insoles to see if that takes up the extra length. The width is great, just a bit long. Thanks for the suggestion!

PS: I heard once that we are not symmetrical because of the way a fetus develops, alternating left and right sides as it grows. One eye may be tipped more than the other, one nostril larger, etc. Maybe that's' why most people have one foot bigger than the other? Good theory, anyways...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks, I've never used inner soles so looks like a trip to the drug store is in order to see if Dr. Scholl can help!
Adding another inner sole to the one that came in the shoe would likely be too much. Perhaps replacing the factory one with a thicker one would improve the fit. Alternatively, try finding some appropriately thin/thick material to put under your inner sole.

Going to try the heel cup and insoles to see if that takes up the extra length. The width is great, just a bit long. Thanks for the suggestion!

PS: I heard once that we are not symmetrical because of the way a fetus develops, alternating left and right sides as it grows. One eye may be tipped more than the other, one nostril larger, etc. Maybe that's' why most people have one foot bigger than the other? Good theory, anyways...

You are correct about fetal development. It actually gets weirder than that at various stages. More trivia...

Adding another inner sole to the one that came in the shoe would likely be too much. Perhaps replacing the factory one with a thicker one would improve the fit. Alternatively, try finding some appropriately thin/thick material to put under your inner sole.

Adding a second inner sole may work if extra space down the entirety of the shoe / boot upper is the issue and extra socks or altering the lacing pattern does not help.

But, if the person happens to have a narrower than normal heel, and the rest of the foot is comfortable, the issue becomes doing something at the heel to "close the gap," to provide appropriate cushioning and to prevent chafing from excessive vertical heel movement.

In this unique situation, a padded heel counter (cup) may just do the trick.

Adding an additional insole is something I have done, and it can work. But it depends on the unique fitment issue.

I hope this helps.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There is lots of information and opinions regarding shoe types for the Camino...hiking shoes, hiking boots, trail runners, waterproof, etc. As far as shoe size goes, many walkers recommend going up a full shoe size to accommodate swollen feet and to avoid black toes on the downhills. I do not seem to struggle with swollen feet but have not walked in the heat of summer. I do need new shoes this year for my upcoming spring Camino as my previous pair does not have enough tread left. I have been very happy using trail runners and have been trying out a few different pairs.

My problem is that if I go up a full size, then my heel wants to lift up out of the shoe's heel no matter how tight I do the laces, and the toe box seems so roomy I fear I would get blisters from my foot moving around as I walk. I really do not understand the thinking on going up a "full size". Anyone else experience the same problems as me? I'm thinking I'll just go up a half size and call it a day.
Always bigger size and on start of day put on you 2 pair of sox

So, now, CC, confused? Good. You have a wealth of helpful advice here. So take yourself off to the nearest and best outdoor shop - not outdoor, indoor for outdoor pursuits - but you know that, right?! Find a friendly assistant, sit up on the bench and let them do the work for you. Then take a picture and show us the result! Buen Camino, Chica!

So, now, CC, confused? Good. You have a wealth of helpful advice here. So take yourself off to the nearest and best outdoor shop - not outdoor, indoor for outdoor pursuits - but you know that, right?! Find a friendly assistant, sit up on the bench and let them do the work for you. Then take a picture and show us the result! Buen Camino, Chica!
I was confused, but it all worked out thanks to so much sage advise from everyone! I don't recall any blisters. I'm going again, so will post a photo when the time comes in April!

Everyone responding seems to have a different idea on how they determine what shoe size to go with. Lots of bery good suggestions on how to go about determining what works best! My personal foot issues are...fairly flat feet, low instep, not much arch, bunions, and Morton's toe (the 2nd toe longer than the big toe), to name a few. :) I always wished I had short toes like you!
@Camino Chris ...Some, not all of the foot issues you mentioned were plaguing me as well. I finally settled on Oboz, "Luna", low , non waterproof hikers in 1 size larger. Oboz have a very wide, smooth toe box and narrower heel. I found I had plenty of room for swollen feet and Morton's toe and my heel didn't slip out at all.
I guess it's all trial end error, but I'll be walking in Oboz forever...good grip, plenty cushioning, great thread, smooth smooth interiors without bulky seams that could rub in odd spots. good Luck !

If I ever get back to Leon I’m going to look up the shop and the fine man who saved my Camino by suggesting new shoes 2 sizes up from normal. I had no idea about swelling feet and had the blisters to prove it. I credit him with getting me to Santiago and would love to thank him in person.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And they were green.....not a personal colour choice but I didn’t care. They fitted.

I have a low-volume foot and find it difficult to find shoes that fit well. Usually, a hiking shoe that fits me well around the ankle is woefully short, cramping the toes. A shoe that is comfortable at the toes is often somewhat loose around my ankle. Some folks like aftermarket insoles for this kind of issue, but it seems like the strategy is simply to elevate the foot, which I've found changes the dynamic of the fit in an awful sorta way (maybe newer ones are better thought out these days). Trying to fill excess volume around the ankle with heavier socks doesn't work for me, either, because they tend to move the foot forward a bit, while at the same time the extra sock volume cramps the toes. For years, my compromise has been to use self-adhesive tongue pads; they help hold the foot back toward the heel, lessening forward slide, leaving room for the front of the foot to do its stuff. (I suspect that a shoe that fits well at the ankle is not going to have problems with too much movement at the front of the shoe, but I welcome thoughts from those in the know.) For the camino, I can get away with sizing up only 1/2 size.

Tongue pads should not be too thick or too wide or they'll distort the sides of the shoe (under the eyelets), making it fit even less well. Nor too long; just enough for the instep (I don't want to create pressure over the front half of the foot). It takes a little experimentation, maybe including a little trimming of the pad. Felt works better than foam, something that doesn't compress too much.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was much better off the two Camino years that I wore 1/2 size bigger. Altra changed their fit, so my third year, I went up a whole size, which resulted in sore toes on day one, walking the steep downhill to Roncevalles. A toenail fell off after I returned home. If I return, (I will) I’ll get a new pair of shoes,1/2 size bigger. Also, I did not get blisters because I taped my problem toes (discovered while training) every day. I also stopped right away when I felt a hot spot and applied a piece of tape. I did not use Vaseline, nor did I change socks during the day. During training, you might need to try several brands of socks to find the right match. If possible, buy your shoes at REI. You can return them if they aren’t right. Most, but not all, of the shoe/boot fitters know what they are talking about.

First Camino - Merrell Moabs, 1 size larger - Excellent result.
Second Camino - Merrell Moabs, 1/2 size larger - 1 size wider - Excellent result.
Third Camino - Hoka Speed Goats - 1/2 size larger - Excellent result.
I'm trying my hardest to get my first blister but it just ain't happening.

Heel lock lacing. It works with shoes too.

Another thought, instead of going 2 sizes larger, what about looking to see if it comes in a WIDE width?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I might be the only person who prefers wearing the “right for me” size, not too big, not too small. I just bought half a size too big for my last camino and it bugs me every time I wear these too big sandals!! We could start a club - membership requirements would be Morton’s toe, narrow heel, feet don’t swell.

I have never sized up in footwear, not even in the military, for long walks with a pack and never had an issue from it. I have always just worn boots/shoes that fit me correctly and socks that work well in conjunction. I have never experienced my feet swelling to any degree that would require going up a size or two.
The only way to know if you have the proper boot/shoe and sock combination is to actually wear them on a long walk of at least 10k. Unfortunately that can be difficult in that you may have to test so many and there are so many good ones out there.
Going up two sizes just sounds to me to be a bit much. I would advise caution in that. You may find yourself a week or so into the Camino having to find a place to buy new foot-wear.

RJM and Kiwi's post are exactly why the commonly 'understood' mythology of buying a shoe size one or two sizes larger than one's regular shoe is bad advice. Let me explain.

Rule number one for buying outdoor footwear for backpacking, hiking, trekking, Camino, etc. is:
You do not choose a shoe based on measurements, you buy a shoe based on its Fit N Feel regardless of instrument measurements. When following that rule, one can end up with a bigger shoe size -- width and length -- than one's normal shoe size, but that is not always the case. Just assuming one will get a good fit by simply buying footwear a size or two to one's regular shoe size can result in discomfort, injury, blisters, etc.

RJM is correct when saying that one cannot know for sure how a shoe/boot feels under real world use until one uses them under real world conditions. And there are ways to shop for footwear that will greatly enhance the rate of performance success in the real world. :)

I bought a pair of shoes before my first camino which fitted well in the shop... on a test walk in Germany (colder weather than in Spain, probably less swelling) after about 25km my toes had hotspots between the toes... my feet were swollen a little bit and the shoes were not wide enough in the toe box. I still use these shoes and they fit well for walking between 0 and 3 hours.
So I bought a different pair of shoes which were half a number bigger and wider in the toe box (even in the same size).
Some - but not all shoes - have different shoe size and different shoe width. I did not know about the shoe width some time ago:

So if I should recommend something to a camino newbie I would say:
  • The shoes should "fit well" (fit and feel).
  • There should be a little bit extra room (width) in the toe box... at least if you lace them only softly (for swelling).
  • There should be a little bit of place in front of the toes... at least if you lace them stronger (that your toe nails do not hit against the front of your shoes if you go downwards).
  • Have a test walk with your backpack that comes at least close to the distance that you want to walk (at the beginning) of your camino. The shoes should still "fit well".
Your shoes should fit well. If you do not know in the shop if you should buy your shoes a little bit smaller or a little bit larger or wider... take the larger or wider size. Too large is not good... but too small or too narrow will kill your feet for sure.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.