• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoes, shoes and more dreaded shoes.....

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances Oct 2024
Hi newbie here - question about ummmm - shoes? - I walk a good bit and regularly at home - but its dead flat and obviously I'm not covering anywhere near the mileage I will on the Camino day after day- but I have not had any blisters even on my longer days (15-20k) done back to back ....uhh except for the time I learned the whole changing into dry socks lesson. So just wondering about much of the advice to go up a half size or more on shoes -I'm inclined to stick with what is working -but look forward to hearing any advice and thoughts from more experienced folks. Also if it matters to anyone -my footwear kit is Darn Toughs (no cushion) and Altra Olympus.

And then second highly controversial question (i know!) is - I'm doing Frances from SJPP in Oct and know to expect more rainy at that time of year - so just curious on the waterproof vs not school of thought.

Thanks in advance!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If your footwear works for you Gini well and good, but be prepared to buy sturdier hiking shoes along the way, because the terrain is not entirely flat or even and there are rocky sections and steep sections, narrow stony tracks and so forth.

I use quite sturdy hiking shoes, Keen brand, with thick sole and not too flexible. 1/2 size bigger and pure wool hiking socks with padded sole and heel. Works for me.
Buen Camino.

Last edited:
You are not alone! I leave for my Camino in 3 days. I start my pilgrimage in 6 and have yet to dial in the shoes. I have 2 contenders, both of which I have worn on various long training hikes without issue. I live at sea level, so like you, I don’t get much in the way of hill training. The struggle has been waterproof or not. Hiking shoe vs trail runner. It looks like rainy weather next week, so I am inclined to bring my waterproof Oboz. In a perfect world, I’d bring both. Wear the oboz to Pamplona, ditch them in Pamplona and switch to my hoka speedgoat. But that is a ridiculous idea. So today, I must come to a decision. Good luck with your decision. Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If your footwear works for you Gini well and good, but be prepared to buy sturdier hiking shoes along the way, because the terrain is not entirely flat or even and there are rocky sections and steep section, narrow stony tracks and so forth.

I use quite sturdy hiking shoes, Keen brand, with thick sole and not too flexible. 1/2 size bigger and pure wool hiking socks with padded sole and heel. Works for me.
Buen Camino.
This response may have just help me make the same decision! Hiking shoes vs trail runners. I have been inclined to wear my faithful oboz sawtook low cut with a new pair of insoles. They are waterproof which is the reason I’ve been inclined to choose something else. I also have hoka speedgoat. I just don’t think I’ll have enough support in the downhill , rocky sections in the trail runners

The reason for the half size bigger advice is twofold.

Firstly, when walking longer distances day after day, for a week or more in a row, most peoples feet swell. Especially once it warms up.

Secondly, on prolonged downhills, your toe’s can touch against the front of the shoes. Which, for many, lead to blackened toenails- eventually, they fall off.

Not recommend.

As for the waterproof vs not, there are more proponents in the not camp for the main walking season - ie now until October. Primarily because of the heat, and the fact that if they do get wet, Gore-Tex don’t dry out as quickly. There are people on Camino right now that have made this comment, grateful that they took their non gortex shoes.

But that’s very individual - you do you.

Last edited:
Incidentally, I’m now a trail runner proponent, through and through. Many who take sturdier shoes or even boots ( which I personally always used to wear) do the opposite to that suggested above - they buy trail runners on route, or even a decent pair of sandals. Again, there are 1001 comments on here about this.

It’s very individual - just like your feet

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi newbie here - question about ummmm - shoes? - I walk a good bit and regularly at home - but its dead flat and obviously I'm not covering anywhere near the mileage I will on the Camino day after day- but I have not had any blisters even on my longer days (15-20k) done back to back ....uhh except for the time I learned the whole changing into dry socks lesson. So just wondering about much of the advice to go up a half size or more on shoes -I'm inclined to stick with what is working -but look forward to hearing any advice and thoughts from more experienced folks. Also if it matters to anyone -my footwear kit is Darn Toughs (no cushion) and Altra Olympus.

And then second highly controversial question (i know!) is - I'm doing Frances from SJPP in Oct and know to expect more rainy at that time of year - so just curious on the waterproof vs not school of thought.

Thanks in advance!
In a perfect world, I’d bring both. Wear the oboz to Pamplona, ditch them in Pamplona and switch to my hoka speedgoat.
Firstly, when walking longer distances day after day, for a week or more in a row, most peoples feet swell. Especially once it warms up.

Secondly, on prolonged downhills, your toe’s can touch against the front of the shoes. Which, for many, lead to blackened toenails- eventually, they fall off.
Everyone's feet and preferences are different, so this is only from my experiences and observations. Take it or leave it.
My 2 cents. Training walking and camino walking as @Peterexpatkiwi says are two very different things. I actually wear a full size larger and get a double wide. But I am sure 1/2 size would do just fine.
Unless for some reason you must wear boots, i would go with trail runners every day of the week and twice on Sundays. I have walked lots of different routes and this is not the Appalachian Trail or the PCT. Also through my scientific study of what shoes cause blisters and bad ones (The study consists of me sitting on my bed in an albergue or cafe and seeing people with blisters ;)) more people get blisters and far worse blisters, generally with boots than with trail runners. As for waterproof, I don't think they are needed at all. First of all you can never predict the rain. I walked the Meseta about 12 years ago and it was over 90 every day. I walked the same stretch 3 years later at exactly the same time of the month and it was driving rain, wind and temps in the low 40's to low 50's. So who knows. Last year on my third leg of my camino I went to Portugal and walked the coastal. As many people who walked the same time as I have written here, it was unbelievable how much rain we had, day and night. It was November and my trail runners were soaked within 15 minutes every day. No need to change my socks as new ones would be soaked in 15 more minutes. Stuck newspapers in my Brooks Cascadias every night (twice) and had nice and dry trail runners in the morning all ready and smiling to be soaked again as soon as I walked outside.
Finally, I have a pair of Speedgoats and I would say there is plenty of cushion to handle the rocky roads that you encounter. When it is intense rocks as you will find you should be looking down anyway to see where the best place to stick your feet and your poles. Also walking downhill if you zigzag and lengthen your poles and stick one out in front of you to steady you and keep you upright the strain of your feet against your trail runners will diminish greatly.
Finally I have no idea about Altra shoes but. looking at the different type of Olympus shoes they have I would definitely pick the trail runner brand.

Finally I have no idea about Altra shoes but. looking at the different type of Olympus shoes they have I would definitely pick the trail runner brand.
I wear the non-waterproof trail style with vibram sole and have a little room to grow in the them - so think I'll stick with what's working and roll with everything else as it comes.

Thanks to everyone for the thoughtful replies !

This response may have just help me make the same decision! Hiking shoes vs trail runners. I have been inclined to wear my faithful oboz sawtook low cut with a new pair of insoles. They are waterproof which is the reason I’ve been inclined to choose something else. I also have hoka speedgoat. I just don’t think I’ll have enough support in the downhill , rocky sections in the trail runners
Unfortunately, it is a perpetual compromise. I'd say go for the Hokas, your feet will adjust - and thank you. And, there are NOT many rocky sections! I just waited for them, long after I was past..

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wore Altra Olympus 5s, with good arch support inserts (to help avoid plantar fasciitis). I was very very happy with them. I didn’t need to change shoes at night because they were just so comfortable.

I took the advice on the Altra website about allowing a thumb’s width of room in front of my longest toe. It doesn’t really matter what size you buy, it’s about the room you have at the end of the shoe.

Altras are very forgiving - so if you haven’t had blisters after walking 20km with the weight you’ll carry - then you may be OK with your current pair. Maybe try finding a ramp of some kind to check if your toes will hit the end on downhills.

I never changed my socks or took them off during the day and never had a single blister. (I wear injinji liner toe socks which wick moisture away - with wool socks on top.)

Learn about ‘heel lock lacing’ (google it) to help stop your feet sliding forward when going downhill.

It’s worth searching this site too as there are many many discussions about your questions - including shoe size and waterproofness.

Last edited:
So just wondering about much of the advice to go up a half size or more on shoes -I'm inclined to stick with what is working -but look forward to hearing any advice and thoughts from more experienced folks.
If you have footwear that works when you are doing longer distances and back-to-back walks, I wouldn't necessarily change.

What you could do is check how much free space you have in front of your toes. This is how I do that:
  • wear the socks you intend to wear on the Camino
  • remove the insole from both shoes, and lay them on the ground. If you have someone to help, place them with the heels against a wall, but if you're alone, put them on a hard floor somewhere where you can bend down to reach the toes.
  • place your heel so that the ends of the insole and your heel are aligned and your foot is aligned along the insole.
  • measure the distance between the tip of your longest toe and the end of the insole. I do this with my thumb, this doesn't need to be a precise measure.
  • if the distance is about the width of your thumb or about 2.5-3 cm, that should be enough. Much less, and there is a risk that your toes will touch the front of the toe box such as going down steeper hills.
There are other reasons that the toe box might not have enough room, but given you are already walking without reporting any issues, there is every likelihood there aren't going to be an issue for you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You are not alone! I leave for my Camino in 3 days. I start my pilgrimage in 6 and have yet to dial in the shoes. I have 2 contenders, both of which I have worn on various long training hikes without issue. I live at sea level, so like you, I don’t get much in the way of hill training. The struggle has been waterproof or not. Hiking shoe vs trail runner. It looks like rainy weather next week, so I am inclined to bring my waterproof Oboz. In a perfect world, I’d bring both. Wear the oboz to Pamplona, ditch them in Pamplona and switch to my hoka speedgoat. But that is a ridiculous idea. So today, I must come to a decision. Good luck with your decision. Buen Camino!
Personally I would choose the Hokas as waterproof boots/ shoes take a long time to dry out and if it rains heavy you feet will get wet no matter what you wear

I wear NB walking shoes with Darn Tough light padding and did the Frances in October/November 2022 - lots of rain, but the shoes dried overnight. I did not size up and had no issues. Wore the same brand/model on the VdlP in 2023 with similar good results. For rocky/wet sections use hiking poles.

I wear NB walking shoes with Darn Tough light padding and did the Frances in October/November 2022 - lots of rain, but the shoes dried overnight. I did not size up and had no issues.
Thanks! - I am really looking forward to walking this time of year.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you have footwear that works when you are doing longer distances and back-to-back walks, I wouldn't necessarily change.

What you could do is check how much free space you have in front of your toes. This is how I do that:
  • wear the socks you intend to wear on the Camino
  • remove the insole from both shoes, and lay them on the ground. If you have someone to help, place them with the heels against a wall, but if you're alone, put them on a hard floor somewhere where you can bend down to reach the toes.
  • place your heel so that the ends of the insole and your heel are aligned and your foot is aligned along the insole.
  • measure the distance between the tip of your longest toe and the end of the insole. I do this with my thumb, this doesn't need to be a precise measure.
  • if the distance is about the width of your thumb or about 2.5-3 cm, that should be enough. Much less, and there is a risk that your toes will touch the front of the toe box such as going down steeper hills.
There are other reasons that the toe box might not have enough room, but given you are already walking without reporting any issues, there is every likelihood there aren't going to be an issue for you.
This was very helpful - definitely have the room, next will be to test them on our big high-rise bridge.

Just to say that I’ve worn leather goretex waterproof walking shoes on several caminos now, on rainy days as well as dry, including 3.5 days of virtually non-stop rain through Galicia from Sarria to SdC. On such days, yes, with such heavy and constant rain hour after hour the water does eventually get through, although it does take a heck of a lot longer. But it has to be said that my shoes always dried out overnight, especially with the help of being stuffed with newspaper - this isn’t a feature that’s unique to trailrunners. It’s also true that my feet were kept dry through lighter bouts of rain / showers / intermittent rain / splashing through puddles etc.

I may very well give trailrunners a go in future caminos where I’m walking in very warm temps as I have a question mark over why I got several blisters using my Scarpas in very warm temps last Sep-Oct, vs none in the cooler temps of Feb-Mar this year. But the robustness of my Scarpas in wet weather isn’t a question for me.

but be prepared to buy sturdier hiking shoes along the way, because the terrain is not entirely flat or even and there are rocky sections and steep sections, narrow stony tracks and so forth.
Tell this to the legions of people who walk multiple caminos in trail runners, and hiking sandals. On the Frances it's a bit rocky in a few places but there's more asphalt than rocks.

I took boots on only one Camino and ditched them by the time I got to Burgos. They were overkill, with no cushion.

But it's an individual thing. Blanket statements are useless about what to put on your feet.

so think I'll stick with what's working and roll with everything else as it comes.
Very wise.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Also through my scientific study of what shoes cause blisters and bad ones (The study consists of me sitting on my bed in an albergue or cafe and seeing people with blisters ;)) more people get blisters and far worse blisters, generally with boots than with trail runners.
It's always interesting when other people describe what their observations are. I know that I don't go on the camino to consistently gather data on any of the wide variety of topics that are of some interest to others, and I also appreciate that there may be some observational bias, that is I only see what I want to see, and ignore anything that doesn't confirm any or all of my preconceived beliefs!! That said. the worst case of blisters that I ever saw, on my first camino, was someone wearing trainers/trail shoes.

I had already blistered myself earlier on that Camino when I had worn sandals one day, and in 2022 I got my first blisters wearing boots, the first foot blisters in a decade of walking my pilgrimages in boots.

The OP asked about waterproof vs the alternative. My somewhat simple take is that waterproof footwear works very well when partnered with a rain jacket, rain pants, etc. But if you aren't making any effort to keep the rain from running down your legs into the one big hole in the top of the shoe or boot there seems little point.

I don't know if my waterproof boots take longer to dry than an equivalent non-waterproof boot, but I do know that mine have normally dried out overnight when I have been able to stuff them with newsprint or something similar. I also don't know if my feet are any hotter in a waterproof boot, but it has never been an issue that bothered me. I rather suspect that my choice of socks would have more impact on that than the waterproofing of the boot.

If anything, I would suggest that getting the right fit and comfort is going to be more critical than any of the other factors. Wear what fits and what you are comfortable wearing.

Last edited:
Tell this to the legions of people who walk multiple caminos in trail runners, and hiking sandals. On the Frances it's a bit rocky in a few places but there's more asphalt than rocks.

I took boots on only one Camino and ditched them by the time I got to Burgos. They were overkill, with no cushion.

But it's an individual thing. Blanket statements are useless about what to put on your feet.

Very wise.
I didn’t realise I was opening a heated argument, but thanks for sharing your view anyway. I’m glad you have found the footwear that suits you.

I didn’t realise I was opening a heated argument, but thanks for sharing your view anyway. I’m glad you have found the footwear that suits you.
I don’t think you are, nothing heated about the response? Especially as @VNwalking goes on to say
But it's an individual thing. Blanket statements are useless about what to put on your feet
Footwear, like backpack’s, poles, or even why we walk is such an individual thing.

It appears that on Camino, just like on any long distance walk, far more people wear trail runners than boots. That doesn’t necessarily make one better than the other.

Although personally, having for many years hiked in boots ( still do in winter), because the Camino is so much easier/less technical/ hotter - I walk the Camino in trail runners, and am grateful for them.

There is no right or wrong, just what works for you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sometimes the science, theory and the kit does what it says, but doesn't really help you.

For example, on the last walk I used gloves in the mornings. Nice insulated gloves. But putting my already cold hands into them resulted in my hands staying cold, noticeably longer than I wanted.

It's always interesting when other people describe what their observations are. I know that I don't go on the camino to consistently gather data on any of the wide variety of topics that are of some interest to others, and I also appreciate that there may be some observational bias, that is I only see what I want to see, and ignore anything that doesn't confirm any or all of my preconceived beliefs!! That said. the worst case of blisters that I ever saw, on my first camino, was someone wearing trainers/trail shoes.

I had already blistered myself earlier on that Camino when I had worn sandals one day, and in 2022 I got my first blisters wearing boots, the first foot blisters in a decade of walking my pilgrimages in boots.

The OP asked about waterproof vs the alternative. My somewhat simple take is that waterproof footwear works very well when partnered with a rain jacket, rain pants, etc. But if you aren't making any effort to keep the rain from running down your legs into the one big hole in the top of the shoe or boot there seems little point.

I don't know if my waterproof boots take longer to dry than an equivalent non-waterproof boot, but I do know that mine have normally dried out overnight when I have been able to stuff them with newsprint or something similar. I also don't know if my feet are any hotter in a waterproof boot, but it has never been an issue that bothered me. I rather suspect that my choice of socks would have more impact on that than the waterproofing of the boot.

If anything, I would suggest that getting the right fit and comfort is going to be more critical than any of the other factors. Wear what fits and what you are comfortable wearing.
I think you are 100% correct about people and their observations. I should have added that my scientific observation is as we used to say in The Bronx when I was growing up, "whatever the person just said (fill in the blank) and a quarter will get you on the subway" I was hoping the wink would show how little my observations over the years were sitting on the foot of my bed. To be clear, and I may have a fuzzy brain then i used to, yes she spoke of waterproof shoes, which I did address, and she did mention her socks and shoes, shoe size, blisters, and her brief mention of training, and did ask for advice. Which I assumed meant advice on everything she mentioned. But as we all know the sage words of the great wise man Felix Unger, "when you assume" what happens!:) Of course I have to give my opinion (remember the reference to the worth of my opinion, although maybe higher due to the price of getting on the subway today) . I think I am starting to lose what I was trying to say in the first place, as I keep stopping to eat my morning oatmeal, honey and banana. So I will stop here and just say I agree with you, As my father, wife and all those who love me say, do you ever stop talking? And finally say your advice about measuring your toe space is pretty solid, and overall alot more valuable than my babbling!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.