• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Showers

Wanieta

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept. 2024
Is it possible to take a shower in the morning at an albergue if they run out of hot water in the evening?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Is it possible to take a shower in the morning at an albergue if they run out of hot water in the evening?
Yes, it is generally possible. Most albergues will want you out the door by 8 a.m. so plan accordingly.

Some albergues have hot water on demand so no issues with cold water there. Many pilgrims shower early so they can also wash their clothes and get them hung out to dry. Showering later in the evening may also be an option. Quiet hours generally begin at 10 p.m.

Within reasons I will say that you most likely will want to take that shower as soon as possible after you completed you daily walk and more-or-less got situated in albergue after checking in. Wash away all the sweat, grime, road dust, etc. and feel refreshed and as @J Willhaus said - do your laundry.
Otherwise, short of taking 2 showers (which is SPECIFICALLY FORBIDDEN by Codex Calixtinus ;) ) you'll go to bed "dirty"?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, most of the time. The water heats up again. My camino buddy is usually in the shower before I even wake up in the morning 🤣. Also, my husband has to shower in the mornings to wash his hair (as it is very greasy by the end of the day if he doesn’t), and he had no problems the few times he has joined me on a camino.

I remember a night in the old association Albergue in Irun. A very clear notice in multiple languages stated “No Morning Showers!” I was awoken at about 4:00 by the overnighting volunteer thumping on the shower room door. When the occupant emerged the volunteer thundered “No! Morning! Showers!”. “But it isn’t morning” the Cambridge replied…

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Good rule of thumb, shower in the evening. Water and even warm water will soften the skin of the feet. Increases the chance of foot issues while walking.
OK... I think you mean that if one showers in the morning the water will soften the skin of the feet... and now one has to start walking... and that Increases the chance of foot issues - did i get it right?

I got slightly confused on initial glance at the post :rolleyes:

OK... I think you mean that if one showers in the morning the water will soften the skin of the feet... and now one has to start walking... and that Increases the chance of foot issues - did i get it right?

Yes

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The only cold shower I can remember was in Roncesvailles. It was ice cold, and the only one that needed a token. I got in a routine to leave early and stop early, and most always had clean showers as I was concerned about infecting my feet with open blisters. I have type 1 diabetes and foot infections can be really bad due to compromised circulation.

Roncesvalles? WOW! No token there - Orisson though did have a token.

After 3.5 days trekking on Camino Inca we finally came to some semblance of civilization the last night on the trail (next morning we were meeting the sunrise at the Inti Punktu) It was some lodge with showers, toilets and even a snack counter. The water was icy cold, but BOY OH BOY did it feel good (even got to shave to boot) :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I remember a night in the old association Albergue in Irun. A very clear notice in multiple languages stated “No Morning Showers!” I was awoken at about 4:00 by the overnighting volunteer thumping on the shower room door. When the occupant emerged the volunteer thundered “No! Morning! Showers!”. “But it isn’t morning” the Cambridge replied…
Apparently Cambridge this not teach this person much or he did not do well in digesting knowledge or wisdom. Further, his reply was anything but civil. Oh well, he was probably human so this explains everything.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Though from what I’ve read, research doesn’t back the ‘showers cause blisters’ belief at all. And correlation (I had a shower in the morning and I got a blister so it must be due to the shower…) isn’t the same as causation (I tripped and hit my arm so got a cut)!

Though from what I’ve read, research doesn’t back the ‘showers cause blisters’ belief at all. And correlation (I had a shower in the morning and I got a blister so it must be due to the shower…) isn’t the same as causation (I tripped and hit my arm so got a cut)!
On the other hand moisture wicking socks are recommended for blister prevention. It doesn't make any sense to me to get your feet wet before walking.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...
Hi all, just a quickie, Has anyone else noticed that the older you get, the larger the ratio of medication: kit you carry in your rucksack? This time round it appears to be around 60% walking...
A nice warm soak eases tired bones, and I was just wondering if there are any Thermal Spas along the Camino Frances
The Holy See has published details concerning the 2025 Roman Jubilee of Hope here : https://www.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/bulls/documents/20240509_spes-non-confundit_bolla-giubileo2025.html...
Can someone put together a calendar of holidays in Spain for pilgrims to use as part of their planning? I’ve never gotten stuck, but it seems that, once or twice, posters are caught trying to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back