• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seeking Advice: Blisters Appeared on Day 21 of Camino

MainelyStina

Chronic Overpacker
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances from SJPP Starting Aug 21, 2023
So, today is day 21 of my Camino Frances. I took a leisurely Sunday stroll of 20km from Bercianos to Reliegos today. Almost completely flat. And today, for the very first time in 21 days, I developed 2 pretty painful blisters on the outside of my right heel. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why? Iā€™ve worn the same pair of Altra Olympus shoes everyday without problems (I did switch insoles about a week ago?) Iā€™ve had the same few pairs of Feetures merino socks, and the same anti-chafe gel. With only a couple weeks left, Iā€™d hate to have to replace shoes that have been working. Iā€™ve got about 25k to get to Leon tomorrow and am considering walking it in my Tevas.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

Many thanks from this ā€œstill-recovering from my previous illnessā€ Pilgrimā€¦

Stina

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So, today is day 21 of my Camino Frances. I took a leisurely Sunday stroll of 20km from Bercianos to Reliegos today. Almost completely flat. And today, for the very first time in 21 days, I developed 2 pretty painful blisters on the outside of my right heel. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why? Iā€™ve worn the same pair of Altra Olympus shoes everyday without problems (I did switch insoles about a week ago?) Iā€™ve had the same few pairs of Feetures merino socks, and the same anti-chafe gel. With only a couple weeks left, Iā€™d hate to have to replace shoes that have been working. Iā€™ve got about 25k to get to Leon tomorrow and am considering walking it in my Tevas.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

Many thanks from this ā€œstill-recovering from my previous illnessā€ Pilgrimā€¦

Stina
Something similar happened to me. I have never suffered from blisters and had done 30+ days with my current shoes, which have orthotics. I got two horrendous blister on my heel just above the hard skin of the heel. Couldnā€™t figure it out. Then I saw the foam top of the orthotic had come away from the base leaving a one mm or so gap. The height difference was less than one mm but this is what caused the problem after 8 days of walking, sometimes 40kms days. Swapped out the inner soles. All good. Treatment? Compeed extreme and hikers wool for padding. Made heel striking bearable mostly, problem sorted after a few days of gritted teeth. Good luck.

I got two horrendous blister on my heel just above the hard skin of the heel.
Exactly where mine areā€¦
Swapped out the inner soles. All good. Treatment? Compeed extreme and hikers wool for padding. Made heel striking bearable mostly, problem sorted after a few days of gritted teeth. Good luck.
Maybe Iā€™ll go back to the first insoles I was wearing - they sit differently than the ones Iā€™ve had in for the last week. And I have a whole bag of, as of yet, unused hikers wool.

I have most of a rest day in Leon on Tuesday, so maybe thatā€™ll help as well??

Thank you so much for your response!

It could have been because it was flat. When you walk on a flat even surface the movement of your foot is the same with each step, so the friction/shear force is in exactly the same place for every step making it easier for a blister to form.

If I were you I would definitely wear the Tevas. I walk the Camino exclusively in sandals, and have known several people whose Caminos were saved by switching to sandals when they got blisters. Do wear socks with them.

Definitely worth giving your Tevaā€™s a try - it will be bliss if they donā€™t rub on your blister!
I always walk in my Teva sandals, sockless - they were an emergency purchase in Pamplona when I limped in from Zubiri with a few very painful blisters - Iā€™ve never looked back!
Good luck!

It could have been because it was flat. When you walk on a flat even surface the movement of your foot is the same with each step, so the friction/shear force is in exactly the same place for every step making it easier for a blister to form.

If I were you I would definitely wear the Tevas. I walk the Camino exclusively in sandals, and have known several people whose Caminos were saved by switching to sandals when they got blisters. Do wear socks with them.
My foot did feel like it was in a strange position for part of the dayā€¦

So, thereā€™s a fair chance of rain tomorrow - shouod I just take multiple pairs of socks to wear with the Tevas?

So, thereā€™s a fair chance of rain tomorrow - shouod I just take multiple pairs of socks to wear with the Tevas?
I just let my feet get wet when I'm wearing sandals and socks on the Camino. If the socks are really soggy I wring as much water out of them as I can and put them back on. I only bring three pairs of socks, so if it was raining all day I kept switching them out all of my socks would be wet!

This year I used a pair of waterproof socks over my regular socks to great success - until I lost one of them. šŸ˜„

Fortunately, I only had a couple of rainy days after that and as I said, my feet just got wet - the same as when I walked before I had waterproof socks.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

Stina
Yes a similar thing happened to me on my first Camino. Blisters on one side of one heel at day 7, then the other heel on day 14. I had gortex shoes and also sprained my ankle around Los Arcos. My feet sweat more and the sprain changed my gait. I drained them and put on Compeed and wore those intil they fell off and applied more until they healed.

Dressings are to contain the drainage and protect the new skin while it heals (I am a nurse). Don't deroof your blisters if you can help it and DONT peel off your Compeed every day. It will deroof the blisters.

I tried to find new shoes without success, but the blisters healed and formed new calluses which got me to the end. If they get bad, seek medical attention.

Thank you @PeterC AKL , @trecile , @LuisaR and @J Willhaus for your advice! I am happy to report that after walking 25k in my Tevas, I made it to Leon under my own power and am enjoying a glass of wine in front of the cathedral!

Iā€™ve already been to the farmacia and have a bit of rest planned for tomorrow!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@MainelyStina they sound like edge blisters - here's some info on these tricky little numbers.
Rebecca, you are a genius, thank you so much for the link. Elsewhere Iā€™ve posted about blistersā€”which I have never suffered fromā€”appearing after 8 or 9 days walking. I discovered exactly what your article suggests. The foam top of my orthotic had delaminated and left a 1mm gap. I had been using them like that for months with no problem but repeated 25 and 30 kms days did for me! Cheers.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi
You are a happy one , after 3 weeks the first blister that's really good luck.
My experience with blisters I had from the start of my camino, treat them accordingly and continue walking .

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

Stina
Consider yourself very lucky that you didn't get any blisters until day 21. With adequate care, you should do fine. I don't know what country you're from, but this is how I would treat them. I am from the US.
1. If it is just a hotspot, put on moleskin then wrap stretchable tape around your foot (to include the moleskin) to help keep the moleskin on.It sounds like your blisters are more than a hotspot.
2. For a full blown blister, cover it with a nonstick Band-Aid or other dressing that covers the entire area of the blister. Then put on moleskin for a little bit of padding. Then wrap put on stretchable tape as per number one. Keep doing this until the skin underneath. The blister comes up. You may have to change the dressing every day.
3. At this point definitely were not jump to replacing shoes. Just treat the blister.
4. I would never put copied on a full-blown blister.

Last edited:
Vaseline, vaseline, vaseline. And did I mention vaseline? 10-12 days in wearing well broken in boots I got a couple of hot spots which I ignored. So a couple of days later when I am stood in a farmacia, being a brave soldier and not wanting to cry in front of the lovely senora I showed her pics I had taken. She winced. Then provided lots of advice, the equipment to treat them including an antiseptic liquid (Topionica) and I think she may have wanted to slap me for being stupid. A few days of painful walking while they healed plus vaseline on anything and everything that felt like it may rub meant no more blisters. The Topionica was also invaluable on my big toes as the blackened nails started to lift, being liquid it flowed underneath keeping them clean and better still did not sting

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My foot did feel like it was in a strange position for part of the dayā€¦

If it's raining, sandals without socks might be best.

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click šŸ˜³ Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.