• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SIM card or Monthly International Plan with Verizon

Cynthia Gwynn

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
I am traveling from US to Spain for 7 weeks for the Camino. I use Verizon cell service at home. They have an international plan I can add for $100/30 days that gives me 250 talk minutes & 5 gb of data. I am wondering whether to do that or to get a SIM card for Spain which I have no experience with. I did confirm that my phone is unlocked. Do you thoughts about the advantages or disadvantages of these options based on your experience? My thought is I will mostly be using the phone to reserve accommodations a day ahead. I also will have my son joining me who will walk at a faster pace so I will want a bit of back and forth to keep up with each other which could be by text. I would imagine he will not have a SIM card as he will be there only a few days. Perhaps we just do that through What's App. Thank you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The advantage of the new SIM card is the cost - you can get lots of minutes and data for about $25/month. For your 7 weeks in Spain, I would recommend it.

Without a local SIM , you can use any of the usual apps - email, WhatsApp, Messenger - but only while you are connected to wifi. On the Camino Frances, there is no shortage of wifi, but you (or your son) won't have it continuously, so you might need to plan your check-ins.

Is it possible for your son to get just a few days of international service from your home provider? But that will probably cost almost as much as a new SIM for him.

The advantage of the new SIM card is the cost - you can get lots of minutes and data for about $25/month. For your 7 weeks in Spain, I would recommend it.

Without a local SIM , you can use any of the usual apps - email, WhatsApp, Messenger - but only while you are connected to wifi. On the Camino Frances, there is no shortage of wifi, but you (or your son) won't have it continuously, so you might need to plan your check-ins.

Is it possible for your son to get just a few days of international service from your home provider? But that will probably cost almost as much as a new SIM for him.
Do you have any recommendations for sim providers? Likewise, my son and I will be in Spain for 6 weeks and are considering phone options. Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Do you have any recommendations for sim providers?
Yes, whichever of Vodafone, Movistar or Orange has the store closest to you when you arrive. They will likely all have some suitable plan for a reasonable cost. You should check at the time on what you need to do to extend it from one month (common plan for visitors) to a second month. That might require another visit to a store.

Others will suggest getting this in advance, ordering on the internet, but I have never done that.

I'm using Verizon and they have a plan for 10 bucks a day if you use it. If not no charge. It seems easier for me. I leave in 9 days

Get a local SIM from any of the major providers - it works so much better on cellular without WiFi access and remember to bring your passport for the purchase.

My Verizon phone had the local SIM from Orange and it worked like a charm.
OTOH my T Mobile phone which has free international roaming was slow.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
One caveat with the sim cards, when you try to renew as your data or time expires, you cannot downgrade to a lesser plan. I kept getting a fail with no explanation when I tried to renew online. When I finally had a chance to go to an Orange store, they told me I had to purchase the same plan or more. They would not sell me a lesser plan for the few days I had left in Spain. I decided I could get by using wifi to communicate.

I used Verizon 10 dollar a day plan on my 2018 Frances Camino it not only gives you voice but data which was nice. Also used WhatsApp for some texting. Works great
Catch is that the “Day” starts at ends at some weird pacific standard time like 930pm) So you think you are still on the free day ( I did not use it every day). And end up getting charged for a second day. Great for getting all your regular texts and e mails
Worked excellent for me

I am traveling from US to Spain for 7 weeks for the Camino. I use Verizon cell service at home. They have an international plan I can add for $100/30 days that gives me 250 talk minutes & 5 gb of data. I am wondering whether to do that or to get a SIM card for Spain which I have no experience with. I did confirm that my phone is unlocked. Do you thoughts about the advantages or disadvantages of these options based on your experience? My thought is I will mostly be using the phone to reserve accommodations a day ahead. I also will have my son joining me who will walk at a faster pace so I will want a bit of back and forth to keep up with each other which could be by text. I would imagine he will not have a SIM card as he will be there only a few days. Perhaps we just do that through What's App. Thank you.
I’m here right now walking CF. Using Verizon monthly plan. Was planning on getting local plan if needed for better/more data, but haven’t had the need. It’s perfect- I use maps during day for navigation etc, calls/ texts no problems. And try to save data by using Wi-Fi when I can in cafes or my hotel at night.
Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have Google Fi as my everyday phone. It works in the US, Mexico, Canada, most of Asia and all of Europe, much of Africa, etc for the same price and plan worldwide. It's awesome if you travel because you don't have to deal with sim nonsense. You just arrive, get off the plane, turn your phone on, and it welcomes you to Spain, all set up and the same price as home. I love it.

You can also consider switching to T-mobile or Google Fi. Plans from both companies offer free data and texting when you are traveling abroad, and inexpensive phone calls.
Not FREE data. You pay the same as you do at home though. Their basic plan charges $10 per GB (but they prorate down to a MB so think of it as a penny a MB). After 6 GB further data is free. They have other plans for those who typically use more data.

Also with FI you can turn on airplane mode and then turn on wifi. Then FI will call through wifi, typically for a penny or two per minute.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Not FREE data. You pay the same as you do at home though. Their basic plan charges $10 per GB (but they prorate down to a MB so think of it as a penny a MB). After 6 GB further data is free. They have other plans for those who typically use more data.
Yes, you are right. I didn't word that correctly.
The point that I meant to get across is that you won't pay any more for data and texting than you are currently paying at home.

I'm with Verizon as well, and also going to be there for 7 weeks. I'm going to pay the $100/month so I can keep my same phone number - for me that seems worth it. I won't have to notify any family or friends of the new number, plus no worries about any confirmations/bookings I've already made with that number, or 2 factor notification issues with banks or other apps. Only question I now have is, is the 5 G of data enough? They didn't tell me that when I inquired previously. Guess I need to check on my current usage. Good to hear that for @chichi it hasn't been a problem.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
. Only question I now have is, is the 5 G of data be enough? They didn't tell me that when I inquired previously. Guess I need to check on my current usage.
Yes, check your current usage, and use wifi where available.

I'm with Verizon as well, and also going to be there for 7 weeks. I'm going to pay the $100/month so I can keep my same phone number - for me that seems worth it. I won't have to notify any family or friends of the new number, plus no worries about any confirmations/bookings I've already made with that number, or 2 factor notification issues with banks or other apps. Only question I now have is, is the 5 G of data enough? They didn't tell me that when I inquired previously. Guess I need to check on my current usage. Good to hear that for @chichi it hasn't been a problem.
I’ve been researching this also and have, at this point, decided on the Verizon $100/month plan for the three months I’ll be in France/Spain/Ireland/England and my chief reason is that I want my Apple Watch with fall detection to work.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sounds like the Verizon plan would be fine if you take advantage of the wifi offered in most bars and albergues. Although know that their wifi is often slow and being shared by many pilgrims. A couple of other things to consider/remember:
1) When you have wifi and have wifi calling on, you can call from your phone for free. Be sure that you are in airplane mode so it doesn't try to use data.
2) The Spanish do not text. Their phone plans do not include unlimited texting like we do in the states. They use WhatsApp. You can put their number in WhatsApp and it will show if the number is connected to an account. You can then use WhatsApp or email to make a reservation. If you do this while in wifi, it won't use any data. Also, I believe that your Verizon number will be an international call for them, so don't expect them to call you back.
3) I have normally just used wifi for calling home and texting home (I try to stay somewhat disconnected) and get an Orange card at the Madrid airport for the times that I need data and to call within Spain. It was really easy on my last Camino, as my iPhone 12 has dual sim. I had my US number converted to an e-sim and use the slot for my Orange card. You then have the ability to choose which number you are using. I would still register for the $10 a day in case you accidentally use your US phone. The $10 a day doesn't kick in unless you use it and then its for just a 24 hour period. The downside is that the SIM card is only good for 30 days. Topping up has been a bit of a challenge for me unless I am in a city with an orange store (partly due to my deficit in the Spanish language.) You can just buy an extra card and it won't activate until put into the sim slot. It will have a different number, but that isn't a problem for me.
Hope this helps.
If you are flying into Madrid this is the store and card I got in Oct.

Attachments

• tempImagep4oY1y.png
    tempImagep4oY1y.png
    14.7 MB · Views: 4
  • tempImage87mbnN.png
    tempImage87mbnN.png
    11.1 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I downloaded a new version of AlertCops on my cellphone a few days ago: preparation for a Spanish class discussing how to cope with emergencies in Spanish speaking countries. This is probably obvious, but when you are signing on to the app you need to enter a phone number. I shall have to wait until my next trip to Spain to do so, when I get a new number from Verizon or Orange or Movistar. This is easy to do, but I didn't have a recent version of the app for my trip to Spain last fall. If you want to use the app in emergencies, remember to download a recent version before you leave home and enter the phone number when you get your sim card for Spain.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.