• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Single Female first time backpacker..

Karen Flannery

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk the camino in April 2015
Hi all,

First time taking a look at the forum ... great to find one spot for all information! I hope your planning is going well..

I am originally from Manchester though I live in Ireland. I have had heard such great stories of the Camino over the years that I have finally booked my adventure... i'm flying from Dublin into Santiago de Compostela (SCQ) on Thursday 9th April (I was unsure of which airport to fly into and was advised by friends to just go direct and then take some public travel to the town I wish to begin my walk from. Hopefully this will be easy enough to plan and i will be able to take a bus / train I did some research and found that i can take a bus from Santiago Airport to Lugo and then get a connection to Sarria.
I am however open to the route I walk... I have around ten days and could hopefully manage an average of 20km's a day. My return flight to Dublin is from Santiago on Tuesday 21st April - anyone suggest a stop a little before? so inbetween Leon and Sarria maybe? alternatively would it be possible to walk on past Santiago at the finish to the coast?

My intention is to carry my backpack - I have a 35l so this will mean, for once in my life I must pack lightly! Any tips on what is essential and what isnt also welcomed to date I have the following planned to bring

• 2 T-shirts – (Not cotton)
  • 1 long sleeve baselayer (light weigh, quick drying)
  • 2 pairs walking trousers / shorts
  • 2 pairs of 1000 mile socks
  • 3 pairs underwear
  • Rain gear
  • Fleece
  • Hiking Boots ( 1/2 size too big)
  • Flip Flops for evenings
  • Pain-killers
  • Sunscreen?
  • Sunglasses
  • Hat
  • Toiletries – going to try and keep it very light
  • Quick dry Towel
  • Mobile & charger
  • Earplugs and Eyemask ( very light sleeper!)
  • Sleeping bag ? ( or just a sleeping silk? )
  • Tea bags ?! :)
  • Anything else?!!?

I wonder will i require a sleeping bag or can I rent blankets in the Alberque's? I could then just carry a silk which I saw in a camping shop

Thank you for the taking the time to read my post - this is a handy way for me to keep on track with my planning!!

Buen Camino :)

Karen

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Karen! The blankets are free, if available. I think your list looks great although you won't likely use shorts and I would add a pair of socks plus a merino wool top. I recommend a light bag and liner . It's still a cold time. Depending on how you sleep (I'm warm blooded), I used a silk liner, synthetic bag (Deuter DreamLite 500) , slept in my clothes and still needed a blanket last April, early May. Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you both this is great information to have, I think i will go and purchase my bag!
I have just looked up Finisterre this looks extremely appealing ... thank you again..

Ponferrada to Santiago is about 211km, so it is a good distance for ten days. Ponferrada has good train and bus connections, so you could fly round trip to Santiago. Buen camino.

An example:

Attachments

• Ponferrada to Santiago 10 days.pdf
    710 KB · Views: 6
Have a great time, Karen. I'll be on the Frances just before you (and during). Also walking solo (same as last year). Enjoy yourself! Pat

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi all,

First time taking a look at the forum ... great to find one spot for all information! I hope your planning is going well..

I am originally from Manchester though I live in Ireland. I have had heard such great stories of the Camino over the years that I have finally booked my adventure... i'm flying from Dublin into Santiago de Compostela (SCQ) on Thursday 9th April (I was unsure of which airport to fly into and was advised by friends to just go direct and then take some public travel to the town I wish to begin my walk from. Hopefully this will be easy enough to plan and i will be able to take a bus / train I did some research and found that i can take a bus from Santiago Airport to Lugo and then get a connection to Sarria.
I am however open to the route I walk... I have around ten days and could hopefully manage an average of 20km's a day. My return flight to Dublin is from Santiago on Tuesday 21st April - anyone suggest a stop a little before? so inbetween Leon and Sarria maybe? alternatively would it be possible to walk on past Santiago at the finish to the coast?

Thank you for the taking the time to read my post - this is a handy way for me to keep on track with my planning!!

Karen

i would start at O Cebreiro, easy enough to get to from Santiago (teh SdC-Madrid bus drops you off down the hill at 'Piedrafita do Cebreiro' and you can hike up (7 km if i'm not mistaken) or take a taxi. or even start in ponferrada but you may be pushing it from there with your time constraints (i prefer to go slower :) villafranca del bierzo is also fairly easy to get to and would put you within walking range of SdC.

regarding your gear, sleeping bag would be mandatory, galicia is cold in april, like ireland! sunscreen yes, the sun may also come out. tea can be bought across spain at any supermarket, but maybe not your brand (most likely not your brand). walking pole may be a good idea. break into your boots before you start walking (i would try them on with my hiking socks on rather than go by sizes). a good poncho can save your life and a rain cover for your pack. you might want to get your pilgrim passport before arrival, not every church or tourist info office has them. remember that every town (at least the ones where the typical stages end) has a supermarket with the essentials.

good luck and Buen Camino!

Hi there,
I have done sarria to santiago twice loved it, takes 5/6 days depends and around 3 more to the coast enjoy

Buen camino

Hi Karen,
If it's your first time I would start at Sarria (a lot of people start there), and then walk on to Finesterre from Santiago. That way you'll have lots of company for the first part, then have a peaceful walk for the second. It's also easy to get to Sarria from Santiago (by bus via Lugo). You'll need a sleeping bag if you stay in the albergues. Your list looks good, and yes, a few teabags can be comforting! I love the Brierly guide but the first time I went I took the Confraternity guide (smaller and lighter).
You'll have a great time!:)

Hi...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2015.
Info on bus to Lugo, there is one that departs from the airport about 09:15. Then short ride to Sarria.
I assume when you listed: walking pants/shorts... You mean zip off legs. If not, there are occasions where shorts are welcome.
I will be on Camino 7April - 30 April, departing from Burgos then on to Muxia.
Buen Camino,
Arn

Hi Karen,
My first camino I waked from Astorga to Santiago in ten days--some of those days are longer than 20k. You could try walking from Rabanal to Santiago, and this may give you an extra day to take a bus to Finesterre. My recommendation would be to start farther back than Sarria to give yourself more experience of the Frances, rather than to start in Sarria only so that you have time to go to Finesterre. If you like this Camino, you may find that you return in the near future to walk to Finesterre--or from St. Jean to Finiesterre.
It might be a little tricky getting to Rabanal, though. You might have to bus to Astorga and then taxi forward. . . or start in Ponferrada as Falcon recommended.
Your pack list looks really good, but I would bring three pairs of socks rather than two.
Kelly

First of all, looks pretty good to me, your list. Some thoughts/ comments:

10 days, if they are walking days and don't include travel days, would be ideal to walk from Ponferrada to Santiago or from Sarria to Santiago and then onwards to Finisterra/Muxia. If you do the later it might be worth stopping in Lugo for a night and visit its Old Town and Roman town walls.

• 2 pairs walking trousers / shorts - Take trousers, it can be still cold in April and it will, most likely, rain. Or zip-off trousers.
  • Hiking Boots ( 1/2 size too big) - The +1/2 size isn't a set in stome rule, but they do have to fit, so try before buy!
  • Sunscreen - Yes!
  • Sleeping bag ? ( or just a sleeping silk? ) - I would take a sleeping bag.
  • Tea bags ?! :) - Not really, there are kitchens in Galician albergues, but most of them don't have any equipment. So, unless you carry something to heat water with/in and a mug ...
  • Anything else?!!? - Nops, looks good to me ;-)
Buen Camino! SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi all,
Thank you again for all your kind comments and suggestions these are greatly appreciated! I will certainly look into the route suggestions..
Thanks also for the tip re the Pilgrim Passport - I've just done a little more research and discovered that I could order this from the Camino Society in Ireland.. so this is paid for €10 and on route to me now! :) http://www.caminosociety.ie/pilgrim-passport.26.html
Lots of detail provided so some of you might also might the above site of interest.
Researching sleeping bags and wet gear now...I tend to feel the cold so will have to invest well here.. little concerned about my booking for April now to be honest the summer may have been a better option for me though I would just like to experience the Camino asap.. Pat that's fantastic that you enjoyed it so much you will be returning, did you experience much rain last year? I hope we will meet at some stage along the journey :)
My hiking boots will out again this weekend as I am going to practice a walk in glendalough, for part of the way i will bring my rucksack also ..
Re the tea bags - these will be my only comfort I like a certain brand here in Ireland :)
I'm extremely excited and just realised I have only around 6 weeks to go until I can really say.. Buen Camino :)

Hi all,
Thank you again for all your kind comments and suggestions these are greatly appreciated! I will certainly look into the route suggestions..
Thanks also for the tip re the Pilgrim Passport - i've just done a little more research and discovered that i could order this from the camino society in Ireland.. so this is paid for €10 and on route to me now! :) http://www.caminosociety.ie/pilgrim-passport.26.html
Lots of detail provided so some of you might also might the above site of interest.
Researching sleeping bags and wet gear now...i tend to feel the cold so will have to invest well here.. little concerned about my booking for April now to be honest the summer may have been a better option for me though i would just like to experience the camino asap.. Pat that's fantastic that you enjoyed it so much you will be returning, did you experience much rain last year? I hope we will meet at some stage along the journey :)
My hiking boots will out again this weekend as I am going to practice a walk in glendalough, for part of the way i will bring my rucksac also ..
Re the tea bags - these will be my only comfort i like a certain brand here in Ireland :)
I'm extremely excited and just realised i have only around 6 weeks to go until i can really say.. Buen Camino :)
Nothing wrong with bringing those. They are weight minimal and besides, they're a consumable. I brought a bunch of energy bars with me on my last Camino. There is a certain brand (Clif) that I like here and they came in handy in knocking out the mid-morning hunger pangs before I reached my first cafe. Kinda sucked when I ate my last one about half-way to Santiago, ha ha.
You may want to bring a lightweight, microwaveable cup with you. A lot of the albergues have kitchens and stoves and cups available, but some may only have a microwave with which to boil your water. A lightweight "spork" (combo spoon and fork) is handy as well.
cheers...buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all,

I am originally from Manchester though I live in Ireland. I have had heard such great stories of the Camino over the years that I have finally booked my adventure... i'm flying from Dublin into Santiago de Compostela (SCQ) on Thursday 9th April

May be you change your plans and go with me from Valenca?
I will come by flight to Santiago on 7th April, and by train to Valenca the same day. Can wait for you 2 days in Valenca. I'm 77 (your grandfather age..) intend to go alone but I'll very appreciate some body to walk with me.
Zohar

Last edited:
Hi Karen. Welcome to the forum. I think you would enjoy Sarria to SDC and onto the coast then (as others have said). Your preparation seems great, you'll be hooked very soon. I can't wait for my next camino, starting in June. I envy you walking in Glendalough. I am originally from Wicklow but now live in the UK.
Buen Camino.

Hi all,

My intention is to carry my backpack - I have a 35l so this will mean, for once in my life I must pack lightly! Any tips on what is essential and what isnt also welcomed to date I have the following planned to bring

• 3 pairs underwear
  • Rain gear
  • Fleece
  • Pain-killers
  • Sunscreen?
  • Sunglasses
  • Hat
  • Quick dry Towel
  • Mobile & charger
  • Anything else?!!?

I wonder will i require a sleeping bag or can I rent blankets in the Alberque's? I could then just carry a silk which I saw in a camping shop

Karen

Hi Karen,

My granddaughter and I are planning that same trip May 16-23. We would be most appreciative if you would share with us, after your trip (or before if you have all the information) how, when and what time you left the airport and and arrived in Sarria and how may days it took you to walk from Sarria back to Santiago. We will arrive in Santiago at 3:30 p.m. on a Saturday and would like very much to leave immediately for Sarria so that we can begin our walk early the next day. We need to back to Santiago no later than the following Saturday morning. Thanks and have a wonderful trip! Bebe

Last edited by a moderator:
You will not have to rent a blanket at any albergue I ever visited, but just make sure to grab one as soon as you find your bunk!

Hi all... so my Camino experience begins a week today :) I have been so busy with work I haven't had time to look into accommodation really, just wondering if anyone can recommend a place to stay in Sarria on my first evening ( next Thursday) many thanks :)

There is a cluster of albergues on Rua Maior by the church. Just pick one; they are all pretty good. Buen camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As Falcon notes there are many but one of my favorites is the private albergue O Durmeninto, calle mayor 44. They have cozy small dorms with fresh linens, good showers and an evening meal. You can book ahead either by telephoning or using Booking.com. Here is their Gronze.com listing.

Buen camino,

MM

Hi all... so my Camino experience begins a week today :) I have been so busy with work I haven't had time to look into accommodation really, just wondering if anyone can recommend a place to stay in Sarria on my first evening ( next Thursday) many thanks :)
If you would like a bit of comfort starting off have a look at this place, I have stayed here twice and found it very good, it may be late when you get in but its not a problem if you have booked. Nice staff and good food. The Camino passes the door, just come out turn left and left again and follow the yellow arrows.
http://www.dpcristal.com/
P.S. It cost me €5.00 for a taxi from the bus station in Sarria to there.

If you would like a bit of comfort starting off have a look at this place, I have stayed here twice and found it very good, it may be late when you get in but its not a problem if you have booked. Nice staff and good food. The Camino passes the door, just come out turn left and left again and follow the yellow arrows.
http://www.dpcristal.com/
P.S. It cost me €5.00 for a taxi from the bus station in Sarria to there.
As Wayfarer said, the DP Cristal is nice. I stayed there last year. It is definitely a taxi ride from the bus station but it is right on the camino. You come out of the hotel, turn left immediately and you are on your way. Buen Camino.

€149,-
Hi all,

• 3 pairs underwear
  • Rain gear
  • Fleece
  • Pain-killers
  • Sunscreen?
  • Sunglasses
  • Hat
  • Quick dry Towel
  • Mobile & charger
  • Anything else?!!?

Karen

Hi Karen :) I'm walking exactly your dates: 9th Thursday flight to Oviedo and hoping to get by Camino Primitivo to Santiago by 21st for my flight back :)

Buen camino,

Ela

Hi Karen :) I'm walking exactly your dates: 9th Thursday flight to Oviedo and hoping to get by Camino Primitivo to Santiago by 21st for my flight back :)

Buen camino,

Ela
Typical i only see this now Kropelka! how did you get on? are you sad to be home? my journey did not go to plan though it was still a fantastic experience and i really really enjoyed it, i will write a little more detail soon.. how did you get on? :)

Typical i only see this now Kropelka! how did you get on? are you sad to be home? my journey did not go to plan though it was still a fantastic experience and i really really enjoyed it, i will write a little more detail soon.. how did you get on? :)
It was absolutelly great Karen !!! The best time of my life spent with fantastic people which I've met on the way. Phisically demanding though but I've managed it and I'm very proud of myself. I exprienced everything on the way: storms and being soaked wet, sunburns in the mountains, lots of wind but first of all immence sense of being part of something great and Camino community. People on the way are so helpful and so nice it's unreal... Hope you had a similar experience :)
Buen Camino xxx

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Karen, hope you had a good trip and hopefully you have the urge to go back for more, that's always a good sign ;-)

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.