• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sisters Starting "The Way" in June 2015.

Blondedragonfly

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting the walk the first week of June 2015.
Hi, everyone. My sister and I will be starting the Camino Frances in June 2015. We are both in our 50s, neither of us retired, and both of us hoping to gain clarity on personal delimnas during our trip . I am finding the forums to be so helpful. We are not hikers, but my sister has camping experience. I am a little worried about neither of us speaking a language other than English, and being able to make our way to our destinations; but I am sure we will be fine. Looking forward to the experience and to meeting others on the way.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, everyone. My sister and I will be starting the Camino Frances in June 2015. We are both in our 50s, neither of us retired, and both of us hoping to gain clarity on personal delimnas during our trip . I am finding the forums to be so helpful. We are not hikers, but my sister has camping experience. I am a little worried about neither of us speaking a language other than English, and being able to make our way to our destinations; but I am sure we will be fine. Looking forward to the experience and to meeting others on the way.
Welcome , as Falcon said start your hiking training that is the most important at the moment. Wish you from Holland a Buen Camino, Peter.

Welcome to the forum. Training now is very important if you are going in June.
Walk as far as you can as often as you can.
It is a good idea to walk with your pack with the weight you will be carrying for at least a month before you go.
A simple way to add weight to your pack is to put 1/2 liter bottles of water in plastic bags and distribute around to balance the pack. Each bottle will weigh 1 pound.

Falcon's advice above is very important.

Buen Camino

How fun!
My advice is to learn a few phrases and responses. Directions, room/bunk availability, food and drink ordering, numbers and body parts, asking for help, stores...little things like that. It will help a lot.
There are a few places where the marking isn't terribly clear. It is very likely you will go off the path a couple of times and more likely that someone will see you and point you back to the trail. Don't worry too much about it - there are conchas and arrows everywhere.
Sit down with your sister before hand and imagine what you might encounter and decide how to handle it. What if one of you really likes getting up super early and heading out and the other prefers to sleep in? Is it OK to walk apart some days? Will you have rest days? Will you decide them in advance or just wing it when you like a particular place? I told my son before we left that I expected him to move faster than I and that he should feel free to move at a pace he was comfortable with. After I wandered off path a few times he started waiting for me anywhere he thought the marking wasn't clear. And some days we were together all day. Two best friends walking at our pace were never more than 10 feet apart. Everyone is different. I read this forum daily and asked a million questions and read every book and he wanted to know nothing about it before we arrived.
It is going to be a marvelous adventure and you certainly can't plan everything out (nor would you want to!) but you can anticipate a few things and handle them from here.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Buen Camino ladies! I hope that you both have a wonderful experience.

A bit of hiking would be a good idea before you go. It would also be helpful to read the forum posts about footwear, blisters and other practical matters. If you aren't confident about your abilities, take it very easy for the first few days and consider sending your bags ahead. This will reduce the impact on your bodies and allow you some time to adjust to the rigours of walking every day.

As others have suggested, a few Spanish phrases will go a long way.

You will both be fine - even if you get a little lost from time to time! Enjoy the excitement and the anticipation. It's a great adventure!

Welcome Ladies and Buen Camino!

You will get by with English and pantomine but a few Spanish phrases could definitely help.

Buen camino sisters.
I walked for a week last year with 3 of my sisters and we swore if we ever went back we would all go at our own pace as there were 3 different paces going on. Frustrating for the fastest one and tiring for the ( reluctant to say slower) as they had no chance to draw breath at the top of a hill as everyone just took off again.
So we're going back in May for another week and will meet for lunch or at the albergue so hopefully everyone will be happy. Don't be afraid to split up if you feel the need.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi. Just wondering when in June? I arrive in Madrid on the 17th and will be leaving sjpdp on the 19th for my walk. I'm going solo and am in my 50s also. Maybe we will run in to each other. I'm good at seeking out sisters-I have 4 of them! Buen Camino!

Buen Camino!

Also I barely even speak English :D But I agree with others you're best bet is to learn a few french and spanish words.

I am sure it is more polite to know some Spanish when you visit Spain, but you can get along nicely without it. I did. But please do test all your gear before you leave. Walk as much as you possibly can between now and departure, with your pack, or at least the pack weight. Others have already said this and I'm only repeating it because it is so important.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just because so many pilgrims have been successful does not guarantee that all will be! Anybody any moment can fall or pull or break anything. The most common injury is the result of trying to walk too far too quickly carrying too much!

Thus start walking slowly and very easy for the first week. Daily distances cited in the guidebooks are not sacred; do not attempt 40 km the first day! Easy does it. Be a snail; slow but, determined. Consider the topography and the weather plus your health and pack weight as well as personal strength and ability to endure.

Buen Camino Sisters. To follow on from @AudTrekker's comments, check out @Tia Valeria's comments about walking with Companion to avoid problems arising over different walking aspirations/ needs/ etc.
Suzanne :)

Have a great pilgrimage. I hope it is everything you are looking for and more. Perhaps our paths will cross as I am walking in June also (dates to be set yet). Don't worry too much about lack of experience. We are all beginners at something. Many chose not to begin because they are afraid of not knowing enough. Others just jump into life and take every opportunity presented to them. You are obviously in the latter group. Go for it :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Buen Camino. You'll be fine. My 18 y.o. nephew and I will be on the Camino in June. Maybe we'll see one another.

Wishing you a wonderful camino. You will be fine with just English. You will soon pick up some Spanish words along the way, and find it very easy to get to your destinations. Give each other space during the day, each to their own thoughts. I walked with my sister from SJPDP to Santiago in 2013. I am 10 years older than her, and had left home (and country) at 18, when she was only 8, so we hardly knew each other. We were a little worried about how we would get on! But it was one of the best times of our lives. Incredibly we had the same pace, so would fall into step together, but sometimes we walked apart and later meet up at a bar (we stopped at them all!). We both loved going out every evening for some vino tinto, and if there was a single pilgrim around at the time we would invite him/her to join us; they always said yes. They will appreciate the invitation even if they don’t take you up on the offer. My sister and I walked together again the next year, from Le Puy to SJPDP. Buen camino. Jill

Welcome to the forum, Blondedragonfly! There's a lot of excellent advice here. The only thing I would add is to give each other (and yourself) lots of grace in the beginning - it may take a few days to get into a rhythm, and the first days may be more taken up with practical details (learning the culture of the Camino, how to check into albergues, figuring out cleaning clothes/eating/showering, etc) and it may be a couple days before you really settle in and can reflect and work through your personal dilemmas. Enjoy it all!
Buen Camino,
Faith

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Buen Camino Sisters. To follow on from @AudTrekker's comments, check out @Tia Valeria's comments about walking with Companion to avoid problems arising over different walking aspirations/ needs/ etc.
Suzanne :)
Thanks for the comment - the thread Walking with a Companion is here, started by my 'other half' TerryB, with my contributions too :)
Take care and buen Camino.

Hi. Just wondering when in June? I arrive in Madrid on the 17th and will be leaving sjpdp on the 19th for my walk. I'm going solo and am in my 50s also. Maybe we will run in to each other. I'm good at seeking out sisters-I have 4 of them! Buen Camino!
Hola Ladywalker -
We are arriving in Madrid on the 16th and then spending a couple of days in Barcelona before heading to SJPP. We may end up being a day or two behind you, but who knows, maybe paths will cross. Can't wait til June. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
If you are planning to start a Camino in October 2024, you are invited to add a post to this thread – scroll down to the last post, and create a new post giving your expected start date, start...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back