• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPP to Santiago July 2009 with twin 14-year-old daughters

wanderlust1

Hello everyone,

I have been voraciously reading your posts on this website for many weeks. Thank you all for great advice.
My daughters and I are preparing for our first Camino July-August 2009. We plan to stay in refugios, carrying the bare minimum with us. (One of our daughters weighs 100#) Will silk sleep sacks (sleeping bag liners) be warm enough? And should we bring pads for underneath?
Any need for pepper spray? (I am hoping "no", but concerned family members are encouraging us to carry it)
Your thoughts on carrying binoculars... Are they worth their weight?

Thanks for your help. We are enjoying the planning stages of this fantastic journey.
Susan

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Binoculars?? They would not have struck me as being worthwhile unless you are avid birdwatchers (if so, Ben Cole's Guide to the Via de la Plata has some interesting material on local birds). I would think that, at that time of year, silk liners would suffice, but I have not walked the Camino in July or August and would leave others to comment on it.

As far as pepper spray goes, I do not think that there is any real risk from dogs along the Camino Francese. As well, I think that I heard that it was considered to be an illegal weapon in Spain? Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can tell us.

In Spain - Spain Overview

Spain, officially the Kingdom of Spain, is a European parliamentary monarchy. Approved pepper spray made with 5% CSCS gas CS or 2-chlorobenzalmalononitrile is a substance that is used as a riot control agent is available to anyone over 18.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Susan, how wonderful that you can walk with your two daughters!!
Silk liners will be fine in July. Mine weighs just 160gr and it was sufficient even in September.
Besides birding and scenery, small binoculars are great for looking at the architectural detail inside churches and cathedrals - some of the vaults of the churches are so high that it is impossible to make out the details without them.
Have the girls watched a video of the camino? It would be great for them to learn the history and see the terrain that they will cover on their walk.
Will you have a blog so that we can follow you?

Hi Susan, another option on binoculars is your camera. My small Panasonic has a 10X optical zoom which I have used as an option for looking at things close up rather than carrying binoculars. I don't start using my sleeping bag until mid September on the Camino Frances, using just the silk inner sheet till then. I go with the attitude that there are always plenty of places that it is possible to purchase gear and so if it turns cold etc I can buy something there. Happy planning, Janet

How wonderful to walk with your children! Silk liner may be fine temperature wise, but I would recommend an ultralight bag to put a little more barrier between yourself and the mattress...sleeping pad is not necessary.

FYI - When I walked the camino, I came across one woman who was walking with her son and daughter (I think they were around early teens). The children would walk with their mother sometimes...other times, they would catch a bus for part of the way and then reserve space in the refugio early in the day...and explore the town while they awaited their mother.

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just remember that you cannot reserve beds in the church, municipal and amigos albergues - only in the private albergues. Pick up a Red Albergues folded leaflet at the start of your walk and you will find all the names and contact details for the private albergues.

Hi Susan.
Enjoy your planning. What a special experience you will share.

Re the pepper spray. I walked alone and never ever felt the need for something like pepper spray. I think the danger with many of those things is that any offender could actually grab them off you and use them against you - so perhaps they could make a dodgy situation worse.
Margaret

One of the advantages of pepper spray is that if it is used on you, at least it is non-lethal! As with any weapon, draw it and use it; do not use it as a threat. That only works in films. It is certainly prohibited in carry-on luggage, and, as a compressed gas, may be prohibited in checked baggage. Ask your airline.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't see the need or usefulness of the pepper spray, Unless you intend having it in your hand at all times it will be pointless.

I can't imagine needing pepperspray, especially the time you are going.
There will be a pilgrim at each elbow, so plenty of folks to help.
You certainly will not be walking alone!
And in my opinion, Spain is a heck of a lot safer than most cities in the USA.

I'd leave the binoculars at home.

Just go and have fun!
It will be a wonderful time!
Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
silk liners=yes, underpad=no, binocs=no, pepper spray=no. Spain is a civilized country, spray is being recommended by your friends you have obviously not traveled there. Binocs just extra weight, enjoy what you see just they way you see it.

Thanks everybody. It seems like the pepper spray question was the favorite. I have traveled extensively in foreign cities and rural areas, including under-developed nations. Never had a problem... but family members always think I take too many risks. It helps me to have all of your "votes" against pepper spray to make my point to them. Besides, I don't think I could bring myself to use it on the flashiest parts of flashers!! :roll: I will not be taking the pepper spray or binoculars. Again, thanks to all of you. This forum makes me feel like we are already part of the Camino "family".

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Susan.

Uffff... it looks hard.

Because, to walk 800 km. is hard. Even for you.

To do it on summer, harder because the warm weather. Many, many pilgrims. May be sometimes it's difficult to find bed. For you and for them.

I suppose it's hard to walk the Camino with a 14 y.o. daughter. So, you are going to do that with two.

Don't forget that when you arrive in the albergue you have to wash used clothes, etc.

The most important is the physical and psicological training for them (and for you, of course)

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Javier

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.