• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPP via Pau (PUF)?

Jami Gray

Camino <3
Time of past OR future Camino
Due to the timing of my flight arriving at CDG in Paris, all of the available flights to Biarritz would get me there too late to get into SJPP the same night. I would really like to get to SJPP vs spending a night in Biarritz or Bayonne. I would love to get to SJPP the same day I fly into CDG at 7:55am. There are timely flights from CDG to Pau. Has anyone ever gone that route, and if so, are there several train connections to SJPP? The main reason I'm asking is I'm thinking it may be just as well to get on the train at CDG, use the long ride to rest/nap/recover from jet lag; and I can still get to SJPP by about 7pm. Thoughts on flying through Pau?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes, I have gone from Pau to SJPDP - we were going to catch the train - from Pau to Bayonne, then change trains and from there to SJPDP - can be done in 3 hours 40 minutes with a 1 hour transfer according to Rome2Rio https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Pau/Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. However the train drivers were on strike. So we caught a taxi from Pau to the closest point on the Chermin, at about Naverrenx, and walked from there. And alternatives would be to walk the camino directly from Pau - walk the Arles route that goes through the outskirts of Pau. It's a lovely route that joins the Camino Frances at Punta La Reina.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Due to the timing of my flight arriving at CDG in Paris, all of the available flights to Biarritz would get me there too late to get into SJPP the same night.

Hi, picking a day at random for Air France flights (as I don’t know your date):
Orly to Biarritz at 14:30 arrives 15:50 (plenty of time to get from CDG to Orly)
CDG to Biarritz at 16:20 arrives 17:45
Any good?
Jill

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I second @Kanga 's idea of walking directly from Pau - you can start your Camino directly at the airport! Buen Camino, SY

SNCF train from Bayonne goes to SJPdP where it terminates. There are no other train routes to SJPdP. 4 times daily.

SNCF train from Pau goes to Bayonne. Service is frequent.

There is Transports64 bus #809 from Orthez to St Palais and #810 St Palais to SJPdP. Schedule is limited. The train from Pau passes through Orthez.

Your early arrival at CDG should allow several flight options to Biarritz. See Air France Hop and Easy Jet. Some flights leave from Orly. Travel time CDG to Orly is approx 1:30. The 1:30 goes on your time appreciation after you are through customs etc at CDG and before you check-in and go through security at Orly. See Le Bus Direct shuttle CDG to Orly or RER B train from CDG to Stn Antony where you cacth Orly Val airport shuttle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back