• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPP via Pau (PUF)?

Jami Gray

Camino <3
Time of past OR future Camino
Due to the timing of my flight arriving at CDG in Paris, all of the available flights to Biarritz would get me there too late to get into SJPP the same night. I would really like to get to SJPP vs spending a night in Biarritz or Bayonne. I would love to get to SJPP the same day I fly into CDG at 7:55am. There are timely flights from CDG to Pau. Has anyone ever gone that route, and if so, are there several train connections to SJPP? The main reason I'm asking is I'm thinking it may be just as well to get on the train at CDG, use the long ride to rest/nap/recover from jet lag; and I can still get to SJPP by about 7pm. Thoughts on flying through Pau?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, I have gone from Pau to SJPDP - we were going to catch the train - from Pau to Bayonne, then change trains and from there to SJPDP - can be done in 3 hours 40 minutes with a 1 hour transfer according to Rome2Rio https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Pau/Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. However the train drivers were on strike. So we caught a taxi from Pau to the closest point on the Chermin, at about Naverrenx, and walked from there. And alternatives would be to walk the camino directly from Pau - walk the Arles route that goes through the outskirts of Pau. It's a lovely route that joins the Camino Frances at Punta La Reina.

Due to the timing of my flight arriving at CDG in Paris, all of the available flights to Biarritz would get me there too late to get into SJPP the same night.

Hi, picking a day at random for Air France flights (as I don’t know your date):
Orly to Biarritz at 14:30 arrives 15:50 (plenty of time to get from CDG to Orly)
CDG to Biarritz at 16:20 arrives 17:45
Any good?
Jill

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I second @Kanga 's idea of walking directly from Pau - you can start your Camino directly at the airport! Buen Camino, SY

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
SNCF train from Bayonne goes to SJPdP where it terminates. There are no other train routes to SJPdP. 4 times daily.

SNCF train from Pau goes to Bayonne. Service is frequent.

There is Transports64 bus #809 from Orthez to St Palais and #810 St Palais to SJPdP. Schedule is limited. The train from Pau passes through Orthez.

Your early arrival at CDG should allow several flight options to Biarritz. See Air France Hop and Easy Jet. Some flights leave from Orly. Travel time CDG to Orly is approx 1:30. The 1:30 goes on your time appreciation after you are through customs etc at CDG and before you check-in and go through security at Orly. See Le Bus Direct shuttle CDG to Orly or RER B train from CDG to Stn Antony where you cacth Orly Val airport shuttle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.