• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

sleep patterns in auberges

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances in 2016, Portuguese in 2017, and Frances again in 2018. Madrid to Ponferrada 2019.
Will be setting foot on the Camino in St. Jean on April 28th. Planning to stay in auberges. I tend to wake up in the middle of the night read for an hour or so and return to sleep. Is there anyway to actually do this staying in the auberges? Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. I thought of using my phone or flashlight in my sleeping bag?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have a kindle that I bring along with me. If you lose a lower light setting and use a little discretion, it should serve you well.

Great idea, as I just read your post I tried it using the Kindle app on my phone and the power saving mode seems to be discreet enough I hope. Thanks for the input.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Chito--if you can at least get yourself a bunk with the head of the bunk facing an "end wall," that will work better. If the face of the screen is not facing another pilgrim, that should really help.

There were a few times in albergues when people used their phones with the light setting all the way up, and people got upset (someone already suggested that, and low power setting is the way to go).

Be careful not to accidentally trigger Siri, who talks in a loud voice at the most inconvenient times!

And this is not part of your question--and I can tell you are a considerate guy--but no one should set alarms in albergues.

Buen Camino, and happy reading! On my recent trip, I read three books, finishing the first two and getting bored with the third:

All the Light We Cannot See

When Breath Becomes Air

The Martian

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Question is will you still have the same sleeping habit after a strenuous 20-25k walk each day. I fall asleep by 8pm and wake up around 6am. If you must, the idea of keeping the light under a blanket or sleeping bag could work. Be kind and considerate to others who needs the rest.

More than likely you will be sleeping the whole night through, but in the event you do want to do some late night reading, many of the albergues have common areas outside of the sleeping quarters. Quietly go out there and read away. There's often chairs and sofas.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Chito--if you can at least get yourself a bunk with the head of the bunk facing an "end wall," that will work better. If the face of the screen is not facing another pilgrim, that should really help.

There were a few times in albergues when people used their phones with the light setting all the way up, and people got upset (someone already suggested that, and low power setting is the way to go).

Be careful not to accidentally trigger Siri, who talks in a loud voice at the most inconvenient times!

And this is not part of your question--and I can tell you are a considerate guy--but no one should set alarms in albergues.

Buen Camino, and happy reading! On my recent trip, I read three books, finishing the first two and getting bored with the third:

All the Light We Cannot See

When Breath Becomes Air

The Martian
Thank you Debrita... Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Did that once; rolled over with my phone in my pocket and Siri exclaimed in a very loud voice, "Karl, there's something terribly wrong." Pretty embarrassing.

That is absolutely hilarious! I'm so glad this stuff happens to others, and not just me!

Did that once; rolled over with my phone in my pocket and Siri exclaimed in a very loud voice, "Karl, there's something terribly wrong." Pretty embarrassing.

I'm at work right now and just embarrassed myself with a loud splutter! Thank you, @kmrice - this has made my morning - I keep re-reading it and spluttering some more!

More than likely you will be sleeping the whole night through, but in the event you do want to do some late night reading, many of the albergues have common areas outside of the sleeping quarters. Quietly go out there and read away. There's often chairs and sofas.

Amazing things happen on the Camino and your habits do change. I was surprised how tired I was, how my daily indigestion vanished, how I only had to get up once during the night rather than twice, and how soundly I slept, when I wore earplugs. There was a fellow who told the room one night that he was in the habit of getting up at 3 am and doing yoga for an hour and returning to bed. I rolled my eyes and thought it would be a huge disruption, but he did it, in the common area, outside the sleeping room. No disruption at all. If you are going to use your phone or tablet in the middle of the night, don't hide the screen, and have your volume set to anything, I hope you have health insurance because you will need it. In seriousness, because you are venturing on the Camino, I feel your aim is quite the opposite and is noble. With that, Buen Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have often read on my mobile for an hour or so inside my sleeping bag. I think it filters the light well enough so I don't bother others. I also have a scarf that I have used to cover up.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.