• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag 1 or 2 season

Ania

Going to start my walk from SJPP next Thursday. Do you know what the weather is going to be like in September on camino as dont know if to take 1 or 2 season sleeping bag?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Only you know how warm you like to be when sleeping. Some nights will be too hot to sleep. Other days will have cool mornings and evenings. The higher elevations can be cool at night any time of year. There will be other pilgrims in the room keeping it warm and humid. Inside always will be warmer than outside in September-October.

A sleeping bag with a rating of about 50F should be sufficient under all circumstances. Look at a weather site almanac to see what September was last year. It will be the same this year, but on different days.

You will likely be sleeping indoors. Some albergues will be too hot and others too cold. If its too hot just use the liner. If its too cold borrow a blanket. Your sleeping bag rating is of no matter ... the critical factor is that you bring the lightest you can bring.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm pretty sure you won't need a heavy weight bag. I took a Quecha sleeping bag with a "S 15 degrees, light" rating. I slept with long underwear bottoms and a light t-shirt. and I was comfortable for the entire mid May - end of June Camino this year. I slept in albergues almost the entire time. The albergues were comfortable, temperature wise, for me. If I was hot, I kicked the bag off and was still comfortable. If I was cold, the albergues all had blankets. The bag was light and easy to pack. I used a jumbo zip loc baggie rather than the stuff sack that came with the bag for ease of packing and waterproofing.
Hope that helps. Have fun!
Kathy

Thank you so much everyone for reply and help. I made up my mind after your replies and will take smaller, lighter sleeping bag season 1 and as you said I can always cover myself with blanket if too cold. Now cant wait as this time next week I will be waking :)

I used a jumbo zip loc baggie
Remember that you emit about a pound of water a night through perspiration, so your sleeping bag needs to air to permit evaporation. It can even get moldy if kept in plastic too long. The baggie is fine after your sleeping bag dries.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Remember that you emit about a pound of water a night through perspiration, so your sleeping bag needs to air to permit evaporation. It can even get moldy if kept in plastic too long. The baggie is fine after your sleeping bag dries.
Do you have a source? I couldn't find one that supported this claim, but did find one that gave a layman's explanation here. In summary, insensible perspiration is around 25ml/hour, and most of that is exhaled during respiration, so it won't be absorbed by the sleeping bag, and one would need to be sleeping for 18 hours for that to reach 450ml (~1 lb). For active sweating, the room would need to be about 30degC/85degC, but if one is in a bag, that temperature might be reached inside the bag even if the room is not that hot. I think it would be so uncomfortable to sleep at that temperature that one would have discarded the bag anyhow, and not continue sleeping in it.
My approach is always to use a liner, and I have never found it to be obviously damp in the morning, so I suspect that it it might only be retaining a very small amount of moisture if any at all. Provided the bag isn't stored long term in a zip-lock bag, I don't see that using one on the Camino would be a real problem.

Regards,

Awesome information - I had no idea this would be something to consider. Thanks Falcon!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

A local Navarra website has reported the death of a 61 year old German peregrina this morning in Zuriain. The cause appears to have been cardiac arrest. The third death of a pilgrim in Navarra in...
Here is a pic from 2016, I love the simplicity of the sketch map and directions "1 km climb up, 5km flat, 5km down". I wonder how the prices are now?
A few km before Portomaran, a huge swarm of wasps swooped down on a pilgrim. Thankfully, he wasn’t stung. He said it looked like a flock of sparrows that swooped down and he thought they were...
In 2018, I completed my first Camino de Santiago. Those 34 days were magical, filled with stunning landscapes and connections with fellow pilgrims from around the world. What was meant to be a...
For my fellow Jewish Pilgrims do try to remember that this coming Tuesday evening is our Shavuot holiday, not one but two days. Shavuot is one of the required Jewish pilgrimages, totally...
Reposted from Wise Pilgrim comments, was hiking with this pilgrim. Don’t follow app,go just a bit further past to well marked turn, not the one with spray painted arrow on stop sign:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back