• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag and Poles in SJPP

Daniel Crowe

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2018

VDLP (2020)
Hi all,
I'm leaving for the Frances tomorrow and I'm wondering about the cost of a sleeping bag and poles in the Saint Jean outdoor store. I have a sleeping bag but it's a bit bulky and I'm going back and forth on whether to bring it. If the cost of the equipment in SJ makes sense then I'd leave it behind and get it there.
Anyone who has bought there recently I'd love to hear from you.

Thank you!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
You might telephone the shop and ask directly. Here is their web which shows their number.

Another place to check is
MAYA SPORT
18 Avenue du Jai Alai, 64220 Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port
05 59 37 15 98

Last edited:
I don't know. But - why do you need a tent? There are accommodations all along the way.

As for the sleeping bag - I don't know the cost, but I do know I looked to see if there was anything lighter/cheaper than what I already had and there wasn't. Prices were a bit higher than what I had hoped to pay. I suggest bringing your sleeping bag and if you find a lighter one that you want to buy - you could always mail your current sleeping bag home. Or - if you have time to do it today - go to a local store and see what they have before you leave.

Poles were a good price and you can buy one or two...

Moderator note: the thread title has been changed - "sleeping bag" has replaced "tent"

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't know. But - why do you need a tent? There are accommodations all along the way.

As for the sleeping bag - I don't know the cost, but I do know I looked to see if there was anything lighter/cheaper than what I already had and there wasn't. Prices were a bit higher than what I had hoped to pay. I suggest bringing your sleeping bag and if you find a lighter one that you want to buy - you could always mail your current sleeping bag home. Or - if you have time to do it today - go to a local store and see what they have before you leave.

Poles were a good price and you can buy one or two...
I actually didn't mean to put tent haha It crept in somehow. But the sleeping bag is one I need. I might just bring it and drop it off if I find a replacement. Where I am at the minute I couldn't get to a store that sells them today. Thanks Jeanine!

Moderator note: the thread title has been changed - "sleeping bag" has replaced "tent"

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi all,
I'm leaving for the Frances tomorrow and I'm wondering about the cost of a sleeping bag and poles in the Saint Jean outdoor store. I have a sleeping bag but it's a bit bulky and I'm going back and forth on whether to bring it. If the cost of the equipment in SJ makes sense then I'd leave it behind and get it there.
Anyone who has bought there recently I'd love to hear from you.

Thank you!
I bought my poles in SJPdP, I bought the 2nd cheapest set and I am still using them. I expected to pay more than here and I did but I did not want the worry of taking poles with my Carry On and the possibility they would be confiscated. I brought a small sleeping bag with me.

I am working in SJPdP now. They have a wide selection of poles. These are the Leki. They also have some cheaper poles for between 10-20 euro per pole.

Bonjour,

Below are the sticks that we carry. Prices are for 2 sticks, and including taxes (ttc).
They are aluminium unless specified carbon.
They all are collapsable OR foldable (with a cable inside)
Carbon are usually significantly lighter.

They are listed from low to high prices.

ELEMENTERRE (French brand)

Stroller (21,90 euros) plastic handles
Tramp (38 euros) cork handles, shock absorber.
Hobo (36 euros) foam handles, quick lock system.
Apagado (50 euros) cork handles, quick lock system metal.
Lagoya (58 euros) foldable (with a cable inside) very short to put inside your luggage.

For better descriptions : https://elementerre.fr/93-baton

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GUIDETTI (made in France)

Compostelle (64,95 euros) Compostelle design, quick lock system, cork handles
Pyrénées (64,95 euros) Pyrénées mountains design, quick lock system, cork handles
B-light-carbon (130 euros) very light, quick lock system, 100% carbon
B-light-carbon rubis for ladies (130 euros) very light, quick lock system, 100% carbon
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEKI (German brand)

Khumbu strong (89,95 euros) quick lock system, cork handles, for tall hikers (145cm).
Khumbu lite (89,95 euros) same as Khumbu strong but classic height (135cm) and lighter.
Cressida Lady (114,95 euros) quick lock system, cork handles.
Makalu lite (114,95 euros) quick lock system, Aergon air.
Traveller alu (114,95 euros) quick lock system, cork handles, L&R cross shark system, 40cm folded.
Traveller carbon (164,95 euros) very light, quick lock system, L&R cross shark system, cork handles, 40cm folded, 100% carbon.
Cressida FX Lady carbon (189,89 euros) quick lock system, cork handles, 40cm folded, Aergon air, 100% carbon.
Makalu FX carbon (189,89 euros) quick lock system, cork handles, 40cm folded, Aergon air, 100% carbon.

For better descriptions :

If you wish to reserve , we can put your items aside until your arrival in Saint Jean . You will pay only arriving here.

Best regards. Cordiales salutations.
Pierre
La Boutique du Pèlerin - The Camino shop !
32 rue de la Citadelle (en face de l'accueil pèlerin / near the Pilgrims Office)
64220 Saint Jean Pied de Port - France

05 59 37 98 52
06 03 17 77 29

Ouvert tous les jours / Open every day 7:00--19:30.

Faites connaître la boutique à vos amis / Share this address with your friends.
www.boutique-du-pelerin.com

testimage.jpg

This may be too late for the OP but for those going to SJPdP and wish to have their items (poles, knives, sleeping bags etc.) purchased in France, Amazon has implented lockers for free delivery through Amazon dot Fr. I used the lockers last year on the GR65 Podensis and it works well. Just expect a week to delivery.

The closest location to the old part of St Jean is at LP - PRESS HOUSE 23 PLACE CHARLES DE GAULLE, ST JEAN PIED DE PORT, 64220. This location has 7 days access although Sundays is only in the morning until noon. Also available at the Carrefour in St Jean Monday through Saturday.

You need to log in and order from the Amazon France website and search and register the Amazon locker to your account.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This may be too late for the OP but for those going to SJPdP and wish to have their items (poles, knives, sleeping bags etc.) purchased in France, Amazon has implented lockers for free delivery through Amazon dot Fr. I used the lockers last year on the GR65 Podensis and it works well. Just expect a week to delivery.

The closest location to the old part of St Jean is at LP - PRESS HOUSE 23 PLACE CHARLES DE GAULLE, ST JEAN PIED DE PORT, 64220. This location has 7 days access although Sundays is only in the morning until noon. Also available at the Carrefour in St Jean Monday through Saturday.

You need to log in and order from the Amazon France website and search and register the Amazon locker to your account.
Thank you. That is very useful information.

I purchased the elementerre Lagoya collapsible trekking poles in Pamplona last year. We walked halfway to Santiago and are returning to complete the pilgrimage this year. I find I am unable to reassemble the poles, and I am unable to find instructions online. Can anyone help?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.