• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping Bag Liners

Eibhlís

Time of past OR future Camino
2000 I walked 300km of the Camino Frances.
2020 I plan to walk the whole 800km.
Hello everyone.
I have purchased this liner and I was wondering if any veterans out there think it is sufficient for doing the Camino between mid June to late July?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191121-152114_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191121-152114_Chrome.jpg
    978.2 KB · Views: 73
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I had two nights on my CF in July this year with my silk liner where it was too cold.
First in Burgos (38°C midday, 7°C on the next morning and open window). Next in Puente Campaña. Pouring rain and 9°C. Both times no blankets available.

I think this thicker thermolite liner should be ok.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello everyone.
I have purchased this liner and I was wondering if any veterans out there think it is sufficient for doing the Camino between mid June to late July?

Yes, that one will do nicely!
BC SY

I had two nights on my CF in July this year with my silk liner where it was too cold.
First in Burgos (38°C midday, 7°C on the next morning and open window). Next in Puente Campaña. Pouring rain and 9°C. Both times no blankets available.

I think this thicker thermolite liner should be ok.
Gosh that is much colder than I expected! I feel the cold quite a bit which is why I went for what I thought would be a warmer liner.

I think that you will spend many nights on top of, and not inside that liner. It can be very warm at night in June and July. I would definitely not worry about being warm enough.
I really hope so. I am Irish but have been living in Australia for 7 years but still feel the cold so much. I have an electric blanket on even when it is low to mid 30s.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Should think that most of the time you should be warm enough with the liner at that time of year (I have the same type but use it with a down blanket when walking the camino in winter - it is toasty!). But it is wise to have a warm layer eg a fleece as I often feel cold after stopping hiking - and this can always be worn to bed if needed!

Gosh that is much colder than I expected! I feel the cold quite a bit which is why I went for what I thought would be a warmer liner.
Didn't expect such a harsh temperature drop either.
It was chilly but sunny on the walk that morning out of Burgos.

I have an galician collegue who mentioned the "galician summer" to be equivilent to the german summer.
Anything from 5°C to 40°C is possible. Total dry to surprisingly rainy.

But I think that you are well prepared.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Most of us, veterans, when confronted with a one-off cold night will wear the clean clothes we planned to walk in the next day, add our fleeces and beanie hat, then get into our liners, or bags to sleep toasty warm.

This is part of the 'everything you carry should have two or more articulable and Camino-related uses.' I have even used my microfiber sleeping bag liner as a towel after showering, worked great. This is the liner I use: http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/products/bags/sleeping-bag-liners/rectangle-liner

Outer clothing can be worn while sleeping to add temperature resistance.

Hope this helps.

Hello everyone.
I used one on the Portuguese a year ago in September. I recommend one. But, get silk or a silk cotton mix. It needs to breathe to be comfortable.

Most of us, veterans, when confronted with a one-off cold night will wear the clean clothes we planned to walk in the next day, add our fleeces and beanie hat, then get into our liners, or bags to sleep toasty warm.

This is part of the 'everything you carry should have two or more articulable and Camino-related uses.' I have even used my microfiber sleeping bag liner as a towel after showering, worked great. This is the liner I use: http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/products/bags/sleeping-bag-liners/rectangle-liner

Outer clothing can be worn while sleeping to add temperature resistance.

Hope this helps.

Also using your poncho over your sleeping bag in a cold albergue with no blankets helps considerably! BC SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello everyone.
That liner might be too warm at that time of year! I only do Caminos Spring or Autumn and just use a silk liner. No sleeping bag. Silk is lightest. Rucksack total weight no more than 8Kg! 🙏😊👍🏼 Buen Camino 😃

At 400g that is a sleeping bag.

The only way to know if it will be enough is to go for a long walk then sleep (without replenishing the energy used walking) in a room with the temperature as low as you expect to encounter.

Last edited:
Yes, that will work just fine. It is more than sufficient. If you are happy with it, bring it. If some nights are a bit too warm, sleep on top of it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you for your advice everyone.

A lot of people on this forum seem to get by with the minimum of sleeping gear. I sleep quite cold, especially after a long day outdoors. My first May/June camino I had to buy a cheap sleeping bag on the way because I was way too cold to sleep at night. I did an August camino and took a lightweight sleeping bag (don't go overboard with this) and was perfectly happy. Even in August almost everyone I met had some kind of sleeping bag rather than a liner.

I actually have one of those reactor bags which I've used inside my sleeping bag on other non-camino trips. They are ok, I was camping in snow and it did work to increase the rating of my sleeping bag but it's nowhere near as warm as it says and it's a bit clingy. I wouldn't enjoy sleeping in it by itself. If you sleep cold, I would go for a lightweight sleeping bag that can open as a quilt or you can unzip most of the way if it's hot. I actually quite like the snugglyness of a sleeping bag and having your own soft cover around you. Try sleeping in a liner and home and see if you like it?

A lot of people on this forum seem to get by with the minimum of sleeping gear. I sleep quite cold, especially after a long day outdoors. My first May/June camino I had to buy a cheap sleeping bag on the way because I was way too cold to sleep at night. I did an August camino and took a lightweight sleeping bag (don't go overboard with this) and was perfectly happy. Even in August almost everyone I met had some kind of sleeping bag rather than a liner.

I actually have one of those reactor bags which I've used inside my sleeping bag on other non-camino trips. They are ok, I was camping in snow and it did work to increase the rating of my sleeping bag but it's nowhere near as warm as it says and it's a bit clingy. I wouldn't enjoy sleeping in it by itself. If you sleep cold, I would go for a lightweight sleeping bag that can open as a quilt or you can unzip most of the way if it's hot. I actually quite like the snugglyness of a sleeping bag and having your own soft cover around you. Try sleeping in a liner and home and see if you like it?
Thank you Helen.
I might look at buying a lightweight sleeping bag because I really do feel the cold.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back