• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag needed in private accommodation on C. Primitivo?

jane barclay

Time of past OR future Camino
Spring 2023
Camino newbie here. My partner and I will be walking the Primitivo in May. To allay my worries about the bed rush and allow us to walk at our own pace, I have booked accommodation all the way through, private rooms either in hostels or hotels. Can I assume we will be provided with bedding, or should we bring sleeping bags just in case?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Camino newbie here. My partner and I will be walking the Primitivo in May. To allay my worries about the bed rush and allow us to walk at our own pace, I have booked accommodation all the way through, private rooms either in hostels or hotels. Can I assume we will be provided with bedding, or should we bring sleeping bags just in case?
I walked the Salvador/Primitivo in Sept. 2021, and walked my first pre-reserved camino ever. Maybe it was an over-abundance of caution, but I was trying to avoid Covid. I did not bring a sleeping bag, because like you, I had booked almost everything in private rooms. All places had blankets. I slept in several private rooms in albergues, all with blankets. The only “albergue proper” I slept in on that camino was in Samblismo, and blankets were also available.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked the Salvador/Primitivo in Sept. 2021, and walked my first pre-reserved camino ever. Maybe it was an over-abundance of caution, but I was trying to avoid Covid. I did not bring a sleeping bag, because like you, I had booked almost everything in private rooms. All places had blankets. I slept in several private rooms in albergues, all with blankets. The only “albergue proper” I slept in on that camino was in Samblismo, and blankets were also available.
Just a note that there is a difference between blankets and bedding. Blankets are just one type of bedding. Sheets are another. I would expect Hotels and Hostals to provide sheets. Albergues are not so certain. Not everyone might be comfortable in sleeping on a mattress without sheets, even if blankets are available.

I walked the Primitivo in 2017 and as I recall, all of the albergues had blankets. I did carry a lightweight mummy bag liner purchased from REI. I used that mummy bag liner every night in every albergue and I was always comfortable. Also, I was less concerned with the spectre of bedbugs.
I will use the same system this year for the del Norte/ del Mar/Primitivo that I have planned for April-May

I did the Primitivo last June and every private room had full bedding, including pillows, sheets and towels. I sclepped my own for no reason.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
but sometimes private rooms in albergues and hostels don't provide sheets or towels.

That is also my experience. I was on the Primitivo in late 2019 and stayed in some private rooms within albergues. I recall blankets in all and, sometimes - but not always - disposable sheets. I don't always take a sleeping bag (that depends on where I'm walking and when) and in that case I take a silk liner in my pack. It's lightweight and solves the 'no sheets' situation. It's a wonderful path. Enjoy!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
If you stay in hotels and hostals, absolutely they provide clean sheets and blankets. A 'hostal' in Spain is, in fact, a class of hotel, not a hostel. You could think about a silk sleeping bag liner in case you end up in an albergue but even they (with some very rare exceptions) provide blankets.

I walked the Primitivo in July last year (2022). I didn't stay in any albergues, neither municipal nor private. Every place I stayed, from 1 star to 4 star, provided full bedding, towels and toiletries. If you want to compare notes on where you’ve booked feel free to DM.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wouldn't worry about a sleeping bag. A friend and I did the Camino Del Norte two summers ago. We did take sleeping bag liners and I had a very light weight nylon blanket and they were All I needed and I felt I stayed warm. If you're staying in hotels and hostals, there should be no issues for you. Albergues would be a different story because they just give you a paper thin mattress cover and sometimes sheet but even my liner and blanket were enough in those instances.

Last edited:
Let me answer your question with a question. Do you believe an albergue washes those blankets or perhaps even non disposable sheets everyday? Now think about the personal hygene habits of all those smelly, sweaty trekkers. My advice always carry a Hostel weight sleeping bag or at least a liner. I've used this model and have never regretted the minimal weight for a second.
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5060-354/camino-traveller-15-22c-sleeping-bag?colour=Thyme/Pine

Let me answer your question with a question. Do you believe an albergue washes those blankets or perhaps even non disposable sheets everyday? Now think about the personal hygene habits of all those smelly, sweaty trekkers. My advice always carry a Hostel weight sleeping bag or at least a liner. I've used this model and have never regretted the minimal weight for a second.
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5060-354/camino-traveller-15-22c-sleeping-bag?colour=Thyme/Pine
Not the same with the private rooms she pre-booked.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.