• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

sleeping bag or liner?

Sallyann1966

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2017
Hi guys, I'm travelling the camino from beginning of September for 5 weeks. Could any of you advise me whether a sleeping bag or a liner would be best, and if sleeping bag what sort would be best. Thanks guys x

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When I walked the Camino Frances in September of 2016, I reached out to every one of the Albergues I intended to stay in to ask if they had blankets available. They did, and I only brought a very light silk liner that I drenched in pemrethrin for bed bugs. BTW, it was so hot last September I never used a blanket any of the nights. Good luck. - Steve

thanks i did read on here it was quite warm last year, which was why i questioned between the two.
Thanks StFina

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
No-one here can tell you what might be best! We can share our experience, and perhaps our thinking.

I have carried a sleeping bag and liner on all my pilgrimage walks, although you will see that my walks in Spain have been earlier in the year. That has given me much more flexibility about where to stop, and I didn't have to find albergues with blankets.

It appears that fewer places do not have blankets, so that might not be as compelling a reason as it once might have been. Nonetheless, I will still be planning to take a sleeping bag and liner on my next pilgrimage, irrespective of the time of year.

I walked in September/October 2015 with the lightest weight sleeping bag I could find and also carried a liner. Most nights I just slept under the liner. I did use the sleeping bag a couple of times towards the end. Like Doug I'm planning to take both on my next camino mostly because I prefer to use my own sleeping bag rather than an albergue blanket.

You can always buy a sleeping bag in any of the bigger towns along the way if you decide to leave yours at home and then find that you need one.

I haven't walked my first Camino yet, but I can tell you what helped me decide.

I tried sleeping under just a sheet at home when the house was at 70 degrees Fahrenheit, and I couldn't do it. I was cold. I like to sleep very warm.

I will bring both so I have options. I bought this bag http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/

It weighs less than a pound, but it's definitely not cheap.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I use only a sleeping bag liner in September. If you have to be toasty warm to sleep, you may need a blanket at the higher elevations.

Hi guys, I'm travelling the camino from beginning of September for 5 weeks. Could any of you advise me whether a sleeping bag or a liner would be best, and if sleeping bag what sort would be best. Thanks guys x

I walked my first camino in September 2014 and only took a liner... and regretted that decision all the way to Astorga when I was finally able to buy a sleeping bag.

Since then I've swapped bag for an enlightened equipment quilt and a double silk liner... I LOVE this combination! It's not the cheapest option but very light and warm and snug.

I carry both, both drenched in permethrin. I like to read at night and I generally used the liner to cover my top half while I read, or to cover the top half of the bed/pillow as a buffer between my skin and the unknown bedding/potential bugs.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'd recommend taking both a silk liner and sleeping bag (both permethrin treated) - particularly if you like to sleep warmly.

My husband and I walked the Camino in September 2015 and found blankets in one alburgue that were infested with bed bugs. While it was only one establishment, I've decided to always use my own gear.

There's a huge range of sleeping bags available - different weights, filling and prices. You definitely won't need a bag for for super-low temperature conditions - but it depends on your own warmth needs. Down is very light, but quite expensive.

You could probably get away with just a liner, but if you are a cold sleeper and need a bag make sure it's the lightest one you can find. A summer temp rating for sure.
If you do bring just a liner I don't recommend drenching it in toxic, cancer causing chemicals as it is up against your skin for several hours a night.

I'm going with just a liner & if it's cold will also wear my clothes to sleep.
It will be early August so I don't expect any problems.
I should also mention that I will try & mostly stay in hotels & pensions with private rooms. I'm not rich, I'm middle class but I live in the New York City area and the prices in Spain seem very inexpensive to me.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We walked last two weeks of September to first two weeks of October 2016. First two weeks were hot. Liner was fine (even in Roncevalles, where I have frozen in July on previous trip because they have no blankets). Then, Oct 1, it turned cooler. I used blankets where provided (municipal alburgue in O'Ceriebro (sic) did not have any). I also carried a down jacket (MH Ghostwhisper), which worked pretty well in a pinch. My wife got into bedbugs one night when she was sleeping with just the municipal alburgue's blanket but not inside her permethrin soaked liner (just before Burgos--forget the name of the town).

All in all, starting in early September, I'd go with just a liner to save weight and count on blankets and a jacket if it gets chilly. But for a late October trip on the CP this year, I've taking a lightweight (11oz, enlightened equipment) backpacking quilt. YMMV.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

I carried both liner and light bag soaked in permethrin. Glad I did, as bedbugs were afoot in many albergues.
Late Sept-October in 2012 it got quite cold in the Galician region from Maragatos onward.

I carry a lightweight down blanket and I've never been sorry.
I've been FREEZING in June and I've been HOT in September.
However, you will be going through various elevations and it can be quite chilly in the higher ones.
It's just a matter of personal choice, really.
Do you sleep hot or cold?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm going with just a liner & if it's cold will also wear my clothes to sleep.
It will be early August so I don't expect any problems.
I should also mention that I will try & mostly stay in hotels & pensions with private rooms. I'm not rich, I'm middle class but I live in the New York City area and the prices in Spain seem very inexpensive to me.
The prices in Spain for the average private accommodation along the Camino really are inexpensive. I don't think I ever paid more that $60.00 US for a private room with bath in a pensiones, hostel or hotel. Most ranged from $30-$45 US a night. These are places that would be considered B&B's in the US and be at least $100-$150 a night. I stayed in a couple of pensiones with private room and shared bath for under $20 US a night. In 2014 three of us split a room at the historic Hostal Burguete where Ernest Hemingway used to stay when he was in Burguete. I think it cost us about 20 bucks apiece. None of the pensiones I stayed in, in Santiago cost me over 40-45 euros a night.
They do have some good deals for sure.

If staying in Hostels and pensions, don't they:
A: Supply a blanket or blankets?
B: Don't have bed bugs as commonly as the alburgues?

I plan only staying in hostels and would like to leave my sleeping bag at home. I also heard someone say they had to throw away their sleeping bag from bed bugs!! Yikes! I'm not throwing my $250 Kelty sleeping bag away. And surely don't want to soak it in toxic poison.!

If staying in Hostels and pensions, don't they:
A: Supply a blanket or blankets?
B: Don't have bed bugs as commonly as the alburgues?

I plan only staying in hostels and would like to leave my sleeping bag at home. I also heard someone say they had to throw away their sleeping bag from bed bugs!! Yikes! I'm not throwing my $250 Kelty sleeping bag away. And surely don't want to soak it in toxic poison.!
Hostels and pensions do provide blankets, but offer no more protection against bedbugs than any other accommodation.

As for soaking your bag, the recommended treatment is permethrin, which is considered safe for topical use, like treating head lice and as in insecticide for clothing and equipment. But like many other things, it might be carcinogenic if not handled correctly during application, eg if you handle material you have treated before it has dried. If you ingest it, I think the last time I did the calculation, you would need to drink about five litres of the commonly available commercial preparations to consume enough to do any harm. If you are that stupid, apply for the Darwin awards first!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When I walked the Camino Frances in September of 2016, I reached out to every one of the Albergues I intended to stay in to ask if they had blankets available. They did, and I only brought a very light silk liner that I drenched in pemrethrin for bed bugs. BTW, it was so hot last September I never used a blanket any of the nights. Good luck. - Steve
Thanks Steve!

I haven't walked my first Camino yet, but I can tell you what helped me decide.

I tried sleeping under just a sheet at home when the house was at 70 degrees Fahrenheit, and I couldn't do it. I was cold. I like to sleep very warm.

I will bring both so I have options. I bought this bag http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/

It weighs less than a pound, but it's definitely not cheap.
Excellent choice. It will serve you well on the Camino.

I did two Caminos both in July-August and did fine with just a liner. I purchased it from Walmart for $5 USD. it fit in my hand and weighed very little. If I get cold, I just put my extra shirt on. I slept in mostly in alburgues for the experience and to meet people and a few hotels depending on my mood and whether I wanted to treat myself. I will do this again when Europe opens her doors to Americans again. Spain is a wonderful country with moderate temperatures. If you go between September and April, I'd bring a sleeping bag and a liner.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.