• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping Bags on the Coastal route

Lillie

Time of past OR future Camino
Lèon-Muxia in May (2017)
I am wondering if nights in June are colder on the coastal route than others. On the Frances I brought only a sleeping bag liner and was fine but with COVID I know there will not be spare blankets. What did you use for sleeping on the coastal route?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Unless you are sleeping in the wild or usually get cold while sleeping, a sleep sack is generally fine indoors. We walked the interior in mid-October and my sleep sack was just fine for every albergue. My wife - a very “cold” sleeper - took a very lightweight sleeping bag and mentioned that it was a bit much since all the places we stayed were well-heated (unlike parts of the CF!)

I did the coastal route in October and I carried a poncho liner sometimes nicknamed a "woobie" ... it's like a quilted blanket and it's not particularly heavy. Not very expensive either. I think it cost me somewhere around 25 euros.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I did the coastal route in October and I carried a poncho liner sometimes nicknamed a "woobie" ... it's like a quilted blanket and it's not particularly heavy. Not very expensive either. I think it cost me somewhere around 25 euros.
Oh good idea. I also carry a shemagh as a towel/shoulder pad/scarf/pillow case, you might like that too!

I just had a silk sleeping bag liner during the last 1/2 of September and was fine, so I can't imagine your needing a sleeping bag.

I am wondering if nights in June are colder on the coastal route than others.
My humble opinion? You just can’ t tell! I walked in June this year (CF) and it was cold! 😳 I regretted not bringing gloves (!) and -thankfully - they put the heating back on in most places I stayed in. That’s unusual…
It was warmer on the CP in July though.
My advice would be to bring something warmer than a sleeping bag liner. But… that’s just me! 🙂

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My humble opinion? You just can’ t tell! I walked in June this year (CF) and it was cold! 😳 I regretted not bringing gloves (!) and -thankfully - they put the heating back on in most places I stayed in. That’s unusual…
It was warmer on the CP in July though.
My advice would be to bring something warmer than a sleeping bag liner. But… that’s just me! 🙂
Agree. Better to feel comfortable sleeping than sorry you may possibly be cold.

As silk liner was fine for me on the Coastal Route in early May a couple of years ago, Lillie. You can always add an extra layer of clothing if a night is unusually cold. Or you could carry a lightweight camping blanket - these are usually much smaller than normal blankets but perfectly adequate. Buen Camino. Tom

I am wondering if nights in June are colder on the coastal route than others. On the Frances I brought only a sleeping bag liner and was fine but with COVID I know there will not be spare blankets. What did you use for sleeping on the coastal route?
I would not walk a Camino without a sleeping bag.

That said, if you are only staying in Private Albergues and hotels you probably do not need one.

If you are staying in Municipals and large Albergues, I would bring a sleeping bag and treat it prior to leaving home.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would not walk a Camino without a sleeping bag.

That said, if you are only staying in Private Albergues and hotels you probably do not need one.

If you are staying in Municipals and large Albergues, I would bring a sleeping bag and treat it prior to leaving home.
how does one 'treat it'?

Hi Lillie
I walked the costal route in April using only a sleeping bag liner, as I have done on previous Caminos, and I was plenty warm enough. However, Camino da Costa was my wettest Camino. When the storms come in off the Atlantic you get a real soaking but maybe in June, they won't be so bad. Having said that on the sunny days it can be a stunning walk.
Buen Camino
Vince

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
By spraying with permethrin to help to avoid transporting bedbugs from albergue to albergue - or home. Permethrin isn't a deterrent, nor will it kill bedbugs on contact, but over time - an hour or so, it will kill them.
We sprayed permethrin on the outside of the luggage that we brought into every lodging. We also, as part of our routine, checked the mattresses for bedbugs. Never encountered any but the permethrin seemed like a prudent precaution.

We sprayed permethrin on the outside of the luggage that we brought into every lodging. We also, as part of our routine, checked the mattresses for bedbugs. Never encountered any but the permethrin seemed like a prudent precaution.
I always spray inside my backpack, along with my silk sleep sack, down blanket, and all my cloth stuff sacks. If a bed bug gets inside my backpack I want to make sure that it has ample opportunities to be in contact with a permethrin treated surface!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Hi Lillie, you say that because of covid, blankets shall not be available? If that is so, I don't think a liner will suffice. Some alburgues are at relatively high altitude and can become cold at night. Also northern Spain isn't a warm Mediterranean climate and you can have cool days and nights early and late summer. If covid = no blankets, I think it is wise to bring a lightweight and small packable size of thermal cover or summer weight bag. But as I said, is it a fact that no blankets shall be available?
If they are, a liner would be fine with an alburgue blanket (manta) on top.

Regards, Patrick

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This suggests that you sprayed your gear every night. Permethrin bonds well with fabric, and retreatment at this frequency shouldn't be necessary. More, this increases the risks to the environment that the inevitable overspray will have.

It would have been more beneficial to spray at least the upper surfaces and seams on mattresses, and any cracks and crevices, but that brings with it another set of issues in a dormitory environment.

I always bring a 10C/50F rated ultralight synthetic sleeping bag. You would usually experience a cold night or two in summer, and as blankets might not be there it is my reccommendateion now more than before. And the weight of those light sleeping bags are pretty close to most liners.

Patagonia, Deuter, Nordisk etc all makes light synthectic sleeping bags rated 10C/50F. And they are even good for sleeping inside in winter maybe with an added sweater and merino base layer.

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back