• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping in the starlight

Laura Rust

Time of past OR future Camino
French way
Advice please: how realistic is it to sleep outside- in the field, under the tree, on the church porch?
Starting Camino May 31.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Advice please: how realistic is it to sleep outside- in the field, under the tree, on the church porch?
Starting Camino May 31.

Its doiable. Locals didn't seem to mind us sleeping in church porches, some even gave us newspapers to lie on too. Sometimes sleeping outside locals would come up and offer us somewhere better, a barn or the local sports hall. Sleeping alongside the trail under the stars is nice too, you don't actually bother anyone there. My favorite was picnic areas with large concrete tables, sleep on the table, this keeps you off the ground (away from those pesky wood ants) and the concrete that has been in the sun all day stays warm for a while too. Use a rollmat.

Dont: ever light a fire, not the done thing and very dangerous.
Dont; ever leave any rubbish behind (I used to tidy up before i leave, even other pilgrims mess)
Dont: sleep on land that is fenced off, this is somebodys land (you can always ask of course)
Do; ask if in doubt, nobody has ever said no to me (rural cafes/bars often will let you sleep in their porch if you ask too, especially if you eat there first)
Do; be courteous and friendly
Do; walk the Meseta overnight at least once! it is amazing, you can't get lost there, its not hot and you will be on your own. (freecamping lends itself to walking overnight) Sometimes I used to book into an albergue early, sleep, eat, shower etc then leave around 9pm to nightwalk. Plus you leave the bed for another pilgrim.

Hope this helps

Buen camino
Davey

Its doiable. Locals didn't seem to mind us sleeping in church porches, some even gave us newspapers to lie on too. Sometimes sleeping outside locals would come up and offer us somewhere better, a barn or the local sports hall. Sleeping alongside the trail under the stars is nice too, you don't actually bother anyone there. My favorite was picnic areas with large concrete tables, sleep on the table, this keeps you off the ground (away from those pesky wood ants) and the concrete that has been in the sun all day stays warm for a while too. Use a rollmat.

Dont: ever light a fire, not the done thing and very dangerous.
Dont; ever leave any rubbish behind (I used to tidy up before i leave, even other pilgrims mess)
Dont: sleep on land that is fenced off, this is somebodys land (you can always ask of course)
Do; ask if in doubt, nobody has ever said no to me (rural cafes/bars often will let you sleep in their porch if you ask too, especially if you eat there first)
Do; be courteous and friendly
Do; walk the Meseta overnight at least once! it is amazing, you can't get lost there, its not hot and you will be on your own. (freecamping lends itself to walking overnight) Sometimes I used to book into an albergue early, sleep, eat, shower etc then leave around 9pm to nightwalk. Plus you leave the bed for another pilgrim.

Hope this helps

Buen camino
Davey

Davey:
This sounds delightful. But while I saw a fair number of picnic areas with barbecue areas, where one could cook if fuel was available, I only saw one or two, near the beginning of the camino frances, with any sort of public toilets. I would not want to be leaving the detritus of relieving myself in a public park or churchyard. The OP needs to know that this lack of facilities is universal throughout the Spanish caminos and could pose a particular challenge to anyone wishing to overnight in the outdoors. Among other things, most of the discrete corners where one might wish to settle down for the night have already been copiously, and messily, used for this purpose. You would really need to find a quiet corner to relieve yourself (and tidy up) before settling down for the night in a fairly public space which would not be particularly suitable as a discrete toilet.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Starting Camino May 31.

I guess it depends on the weather and the bugs.

I thought it too messed up with cow pies. I went in November so it was kinda damp too so I did albergues every night.

Even places that were clearly intended for pedestrian use were completely foul with garbage and human waste.

Si yo fuera tu ... plan on staying at albergues. There are lots of hiking routes where wild camping is appropriate and easy ... the camino isn't.

Davey:
This sounds delightful. But while I saw a fair number of picnic areas with barbecue areas, where one could cook if fuel was available, I only saw one or two, near the beginning of the camino frances, with any sort of public toilets. I would not want to be leaving the detritus of relieving myself in a public park or churchyard. The OP needs to know that this lack of facilities is universal throughout the Spanish caminos and could pose a particular challenge to anyone wishing to overnight in the outdoors. Among other things, most of the discrete corners where one might wish to settle down for the night have already been copiously, and messily, used for this purpose. You would really need to find a quiet corner to relieve yourself (and tidy up) before settling down for the night in a fairly public space which would not be particularly suitable as a discrete toilet.

Good point Albertagirl.

I always try to freecamp just BEFORE a village with a bar for coffee/toilets in the morning (having a pee is ok where you camp in the countryside)
The rubbish (toilet paper and worse) is sometimes awful at picnic areas, I should of said when I talked about leave no rubbish ESPECIALLY toilet waste. If its not too bad I clear it up (bury it) as I do if I get caught short walking (I got food/water poisoning 3 times between Geneva and Finisterra - NOT good!)

It is about being responsible, and to be honest, (IN MY EXPERIENCE) most of the toilet waste you see on Camino is not by freecampers, its by pilgrims staying in albergues who get caught short. (Freecampers just like dogs don't like to sleep in their own mess)!

So if you do freecamp, please leave no mess at all, it only gives us a bad name as pilgrims. And if you don't ever freecamp please stop sh####ing all over the place please!

I also noticed that the OP is a lady, and I think that she should be aware at least of her security whilst freecamping. Personally I think freecamping in the middle of nowhere is safer than say in a church porch in a large town for obvious reasons. Though I did meet one or two 'older' ladies freecamping alone, it is the same for a man, that is just 'be aware'.

Buen Camino

Davey

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
From reading many recent threads, it's looking like a very busy year on the CF, so I am going to be carry a lightweight tent as a backup.

I am aware that the idea of camping (even legal camping!) on the Camino is generally frowned upon, but what are people suppose to do when everywhere is full and there is no realistic prospect of walking on to the next village?

I have to say I have always liked the idea of sleeping under the stars along the way, but not on my own and not in a cow pat. I would hesitate to bring a tent no matter how light it is, as wild camping is illegal, plus I am also quite fond of indoor toilets. However this thread made me dig out my bivvy bag (not hooped, just a bag) to consider whether it would make sense to take it for the next time I go on the meseta, in case a group of us decided to do a night walk and then get some sleep towards morning. If you are under a porch of some kind a good bivvy to pull over your sleeping bag should be enough even if it's raining - keep your pack under your head - and if it's not raining it will keep you warm and safe from damp ground. Weighs a lot less than a tent ... and you never know, maybe the albergues won't be full, or use their full overflow capacity and you'll be fine! :D

It seems that whenever the subject of carrying a tent comes up, so does wild camping, but there are legal ways to camp in Spain, as there is anywhere.

I've read a few accounts where some albergues / gites/ hostels will allow you to pitch a tent in their grounds, and there's also commercial camp grounds, that could turn out to be nearer than the next available bed, so for the sake of an extra 600 grams, I will happily carry a small tent. If I don't need to use it, then I am fine with that. I am just concerned with how busy the trail might be this June, and I don't want to be getting up before dawn to race to my next destination, day after day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Starting Camino May 31.
I have come across those who camp all the way and others who sleep out in the open when the weather is good. I sleep out and wild camp a lot and have never had a problem finding somewhere quiet to do it.

In 2009 I freecamped most my way from Le Puy up to Finisterra and Muxia.

I had a really light tent (1.5kgs or something) which was still a lot if you think that I was even carrying a mini-stove, a small pan, food for the day and night, so on...

I was in the camino for roughly 80 days ( dont quite remeber anymore, but seems like it was one whole life lived inside my own life).. During these wonderful journey I think I have slept in albergues only in 10 occasions roughly ...

If you are adventurous, really love the outdoors, and is used to do this and is a fit person I dont see why not... Its a really different experience. I might say it was my best experience in the Camino...

It is about being responsible, and to be honest, (IN MY EXPERIENCE) most of the toilet waste you see on Camino is not by freecampers, its by pilgrims staying in albergues who get caught short. (Freecampers just like dogs don't like to sleep in their own mess)!

I completely agree with you on that! People that are used to the oudoors and frequently go on themselves on freecamping, hiking, climbing, etc. most likely would NEVER leave behind the nasty mess you see on the trails all over on the camino.

On the contrary, those are the ones who usually take all their waste with them, bury their physiologic waste and even CLEAN THE MESS OF OTHERS.... Including myself I have seen several people taking other pilgrims` waste with them to the next available bin.

On the other hand, I figured that people who do leave their own mess behind are those who are not really used with nature, outdoors adventures and activities of these sorts and might be on their first experiences of this kind...Which is VERY COMMON on the camino de santiago ...

Well, leaving the "dirty subject" aside, its an amazing-life-enlightenment endeavor to spend so many days sleeping under the stars...

If you fit in the profile, I Highly recommend it... Bear in mind that many ( if not most) days I did not even set up my Tent and only bivouac in the wild...

:);):cool::p:D

In Galicia, at least on the CF, you see now frequently signs "no camping"/"no sh*tting" I guess that many locals are fed up with finding sleepy pilgrims on their property and/or the toilet mess left behind by them. And they might not be very willing to check first if you are a "well behaving pilgrim" in that regard or not before starting to yell at you. Just saying and Buen Camino, SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In Galicia, at least on the CF, you see now frequently signs "no camping"/"no sh*tting" I guess that many locals are fed up with finding sleepy pilgrims on their property and/or the toilet mess left behind by them. And they might not be very willing to check first if you are a "well behaving pilgrim" in that regard or not before starting to yell at you. Just saying and Buen Camino, SY

I happened upon these signs on a particular tiring day and i literally laughed out loud,they brightened up my day 100%.

I've slept out twice so far (CF) and hope to do so again through this walk to Finisterre and Muxia. Ultralight hammock, adequate bag and liner - still chilly at night. Have found some pleasant forest spots with soft, clear and dry floors and moved 100-150m off of the camino. Some of the rest/picnic spots might also be fine, although less private. Avoid fenced-off private land - or ask the owner.

It's been pleasant - found one of the spots by asking a hospitalier at an albergue at one of the towns that I passed through. Also asked about any local concerns. Quiet nights and peaceful sounds of nature. Thinking about beach sleeping along the coast.

Not much to add to the above, and usual, advice. Pack out what you pack in. Leave no rubbish or traces. Or droppings. Doggy poo bags work well for that aspect, bagged well and dropped in the next organics waste bin.

It helps to look after personal eating and elimination needs at a village prior. I also let folks know when I was sleeping out - and when I came back on the grid.

Buen camino!!

Most read last week in this forum

One death attributed to a heart attack last week. Two pelegrinos gored, one seriously. One broken leg and many ending in Pamplona due to knee and leg and ankle injuries. Is it possible to confirm...
Hello. I am considering walking the Camino for the first time this fall, probably beginning the third week of September in St. Jean. But I keep reading about how crowded the Camino is, including...
Is there a list of albergues that also have private rooms on the Camino Frances? Gracias.
Hi everyone -- After walking the Frances from SJpdP last October, I'm planning to revisit the bit between Logrono and Burgos this July, following different stages. It's the section where I had...
I started out from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on 1 May. It turned out to be an unforgetable day. Above 1,000 m or so it snowed, catching many people unprepared. Later that day "many" walkers were...
And another attempt looms, to buy a decent Poncho after trying and failing in the previous two likely towns. Anyone know where an Altos or similar might be bought in Leon, please? 😁

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back