• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

sleeping matts - yes or no?

steve392

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, September 2016
Fisterra, July 2018
Hi all.
As the title suggests, is it a good idea to take a sleeping matt with me for the CF in September?
I don't plan on camping out, but is it a good idea for that "just in case" moment or will it be one of the first things ejected from my pack?
Cheers
Steve

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would agree with the above statements. A friend used one on day 3 since we ended up on the gym floor.

It was dead weight and she never needed it again

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Is it a good idea to take a sleeping mat with me for the CF in September?

As always, @steve392, it depends on your judgement of the level of comfort you believe you should enjoy and the trade-offs you want to make.

If you do believe you need a sleeping mat you may want to consider lighter alternatives to the often quite heavy 8 mm neoprene or similar roll up mats. One alternative that I have (for use with a tent on other trails) is a NeoAir xlite small with a rolled up weight of around 230 grams (8 oz). These are intended to go inside a sleeping bag (liner). Except as a customer, I have no connection with this product.

yes or no? no :)

If you are planning to do the Camino Frances from SJPDP to Santiago I would bring a good travel pillow long before I would ever pick up any of the hundreds of tossed sleeping mats...top five tossed items...sleeping mats...large cotton towels...extra clothes...extra shoes...sleeping bags.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Depends on you, if you finish walking before 2-3pm you should find a bed but later into the day then you may need a roll mat.

Hi all.
As the title suggests, is it a good idea to take a sleeping matt with me for the CF in September?
Being that my name is Matt, I would suggest it's a good idea to take a sleeping matt with you, provided that you're covering airfare and that you're not sleeping on top of me. ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
NO, no, no! See, that was simple. ;)

IMHO, it is a waste of money, plastic (environmental concerns too) and weight. You will not use it enough to justify the cost, weight and effort.

In extremis, localities usually have mats that were discarded previously, gymnasium mats, or something else.

Just for reference, homeless people use a layer of scrap cardboard to provide a vapor barrier between them and the ground. You can tolerate this for the one night it might be needed.

I hope this helps.

I was also wondering if I should bring one. And I think I will not.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.