• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Slowing down

BonitaHolland

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting 3rd Sep 2016
i started on Sep 3rd in SJDPP and have just passed through Fromista.... I'm carrying my own lack (8kg) but I'm getting slower each day and walking shorter distances-from happily doing 20/25 km I'm now walking just 10-15km a day and most of that I'm in pain. I begin the day fine but after 2 hours my feet start throbbing it feels like bad toothache across the base of both feet- so I stop for an hour remove boots and socks and it stops - I then walk another hour the pain begins again so I stop and change to sandals this allows me another hour- but I arrive at accommodation in severe pain. After two hours rest the pain goes....I'm no longer enjoying the days, as I know the pain will come. At the moment I'm considering either 2/5 days rest in Leon or going home and completing another time. I don't want to do permanant damage to my feet... is this Plantar Facilitis perhaps?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
i started on Sep 3rd in SJDPP and have just passed through Fromista.... I'm carrying my own lack (8kg) but I'm getting slower each day and walking shorter distances-from happily doing 20/25 km I'm now walking just 10-15km a day and most of that I'm in pain. I begin the day fine but after 2 hours my feet start throbbing it feels like bad toothache across the base of both feet- so I stop for an hour remove boots and socks and it stops - I then walk another hour the pain begins again so I stop and change to sandals this allows me another hour- but I arrive at accommodation in severe pain. After two hours rest the pain goes....I'm no longer enjoying the days, as I know the pain will come. At the moment I'm considering either 2/5 days rest in Leon or going home and completing another time. I don't want to do permanant damage to my feet... is this Plantar Facilitis perhaps?
I'm so sorry you're in pain, and I know it must be frustrating after such a strong start. I was tempted to say "hold your feet up to the screen and I'll tell you what's wrong"...it's of course hard to say without looking at you, and I'm not sure where the pain is exactly...but of course you can google plantar fasciitis for some self diagnosis.
Pain in your feet (without knowing the exact location and not seeing your foot) could be many things, but there are a lot of causes shared between the diagnoses. First, rest. Pain is not fear leaving the body, it's damage being done. Next, lighten the load on your feet--rest, elevation, consider sending that pack ahead once/if you resume walking. See if you can lighten the pack, especially if you are going to keep carrying it. Consider, do you want to carry the pack every step, or eventually make it to SdC. For ice, if there is a freezer where you are staying, try freezing a bottle of water and rolling it under your foot.
Think back to what you were doing before this started...did you change your walking routine or footwear? and about those sandals...do they have good arch support...if not, they may feel good momentarily then just aggravate things.
Leon is a beautiful city to take a few rest days. See some sights but don't overdo the walking and standing...remember you are resting your feet. It is also a good place to see a pharmacist or doctor, who may be able to prescribe a wrap or support, or run more tests to see what is causing the problem.
I'm wishing you a speedy recovery and Buen Camino

OK, I just looked up Fromista (I left the Frances at Irache and rejoined in Leon, so I don't know inbetween)...on my map you are several days days from Leon. I don't know how invested you are in seeing what is between where you are an Leon, but if it were me I would not be walking all that way without having my foot looked at...could you rest where you are, or take a train/bus ahead to Leon? Or at the very least, send the pack on the mochi taxi or whatever...it will be sad without you during the day but it will get over it:)
or perhaps someone who knows the stretch you are on could give better advice.
Don't hurt yourself, and wishing you well

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm sorry that you are not enjoying yourself these days. The pain must be very wearying. I can't diagnose your foot problem but definitely would recommend getting some medical advice and taking several days of rest. Leon is a good place to do it. But as suggested by @Smallest_Sparrow perhaps rest a day where you are, and then bus to Leon.

So sorry to hear you are in pain. I suggest you go to a farmacia ASAP, they can either help or direct you to a doctor who will diagnose and advise.
If you don't speak Spanish, could you perhaps find another pilgrim who does and can translate?
I know of a few pilgrims who carried on in great pain, myself I would not do it.

I'm so sorry you're in pain, and I know it must be frustrating after such a strong start. I was tempted to say "hold your feet up to the screen and I'll tell you what's wrong"...it's of course hard to say without looking at you, and I'm not sure where the pain is exactly...but of course you can google plantar fasciitis for some self diagnosis.
Pain in your feet (without knowing the exact location and not seeing your foot) could be many things, but there are a lot of causes shared between the diagnoses. First, rest. Pain is not fear leaving the body, it's damage being done. Next, lighten the load on your feet--rest, elevation, consider sending that pack ahead once/if you resume walking. See if you can lighten the pack, especially if you are going to keep carrying it. Consider, do you want to carry the pack every step, or eventually make it to SdC. For ice, if there is a freezer where you are staying, try freezing a bottle of water and rolling it under your foot.
Think back to what you were doing before this started...did you change your walking routine or footwear? and about those sandals...do they have good arch support...if not, they may feel good momentarily then just aggravate things.
Leon is a beautiful city to take a few rest days. See some sights but don't overdo the walking and standing...remember you are resting your feet. It is also a good place to see a pharmacist or doctor, who may be able to prescribe a wrap or support, or run more tests to see what is causing the problem.
I'm wishing you a speedy recovery and Buen Camino

Thank you, I'm in great surprise at the moment as late last night my husband turned up in the village I'm staying in- he'd decided 24 hours ago that my plaintive texts were too much and he's taken 4 days emergency leave to come and support me! He took 12 hours and 9 different transports to get here including a train to Fromista and then walking to the next village- I was shocked but relieved when he walked into dinner! The Hotel owner was in on the BIG secret and all 6 pilgrims at our evening meal witnessed the biggest hug on the Camino ever...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you, I'm in great surprise at the moment as late last night my husband turned up in the village I'm staying in- he'd decided 24 hours ago that my plaintive texts were too much and he's taken 4 days emergency leave to come and support me! He took 12 hours and 9 different transports to get here including a train to Fromista and then walking to the next village- I was shocked but relieved when he walked into dinner! The Hotel owner was in on the BIG secret and all 6 pilgrims at our evening meal witnessed the biggest hug on the Camino ever...
That is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing :)

Bonita, great that you're feeling happier and that your husband is so supportive. But please see a doctor. Speaking from personal experience (today) the Spanish health care system is fantastic. Remember to bring your EHIC card and passport with you.

Hope you feel better soon. Sounds like you also need a rest day!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You are a lucky woman to have someone in your life so supportive! The only word of caution I would add is that last year I developed plantaars and did not treat it as kindly as I should, leading to me having to abandon daily walking for anything over 45 minutes for 4-5 months. Like everyone else I can't diagnose your foot issues from here, but if your next 5 months of daily walking is of more importance than closing out your present experience with your original objective then it may be worth considering this!

Either way buen camino, ...whatever way you redefine yours in response to your experiences and events!

I am in the same boat ... I will skip a section soon ... Currently in Logrono .... Have two weeks time left .... Yes all that you said above is the same for me ... I will walk smaller kms rather than skip a day .... Tomorrow 10 kms to navarrette then 6 kms to ... Forgot where ... Then I will see ... I LOVE THE WALKING but my feet must be heeded

Anne

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Dang! Look, you know the truth - pain means stop! ... there are lots of possible reasons for the pain you feel, the most common isn't something ghastly but that you are walking too hard .. striking your feet down instead of rolling them down and up again. Can't tell without seeing you walk ....
... but, you must stop. Now that possibly one of the best partners on the planet has arrived (where did he stable that white horse?) my healing prescription would be private room, candles, Rioja, and sharing a long hot perfumed bath together.

Your Camino is not over, it has just become a Camino different from the one in your mind ... go with the flow of this ... all is well.

Buen Camino to you both xx

Hi Bonita,

Sorry to hear that you're having a difficult time.

I walked from SJPDP to SDC last April/May. I had trained for a year before going and had developed plantar fasciitis about 6 months previous to leaving. It was almost healed by the time I left. After walking the 800kms, a milder persistent version remains to be dealt with. I've discovered a very particular kind of yoga which focuses on structural problems.

I hope to walk in Italy next year and to walk the Camino Portuguese with a good friend in a couple of years. I'm researching The Masar Ibrahim.

I will never walk such a long distance again all in one go. I will walk shorter days and take more rest days. My yoga teacher says my leg muscles and hamstrings are like steel but my feet and arches are poorly structured. My doctor told me when I got home that I was probably magnesium deficient while walking because of vastly increased muscular effort while walking so much. I've read hundreds of posts here and nobody has ever mentioned magnesium deficiency. It can exacerbate muscle soreness.

We are all different. Every body is different. I consider my first Camino a physical and psychological 'shakedown' exercise and have learned a lot - about my body, my personality and not least, the gear I used. I was too wilful and proud. If you read posts on this forum over a long period, you'll find that many seasoned walkers experience a lot of pain and discomfort. I travelled all the way from Australia, so an expensive and time-consuming exercise. The soreness and various daily remedial routines were distracting. A beautiful adventure should not be an ordeal.

There's no point to punishing your body and risking long-term injury. There's no shame in going back another time and starting from Leon. I was absolutely enchanted by my first extended trip to Spain. I had visited Barcelona previously but this was very different indeed. Loved it. I've got the bug. But have learned to do it differently in future.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike ... Thanks for this insight .... I too am starting to see the dawn of experience .... I have one blister ... My feet ache when I first get in but then recuperate quickly .... But due to having some short days ... I am starting to feel pushed for time .... I have to be in Santiago by October 20 th and that's 600 km away . I have decided not to freak out about it .... I will just have to organize transport if I have to ... But I hate giving in :rolleyes:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So I've arrived in Villalcezar de Sirga and as it's the village where miracles happen in the church I'm going to Mass later! Today I walked for two hours before it started hurting.... just now after a two hour lunch I went to the Hostel (private room) and fur the first time on the trip fell over landing on both knees and getting a fat lip.... in that moment I decided.... I'm going home. Tomorrow I'll walk to Carrion de los Condes and will share a a taxi with a woman I met today and go to Ledigos (hubby will walk the 30 km. He is scheduled to leave the Camino from Sahagun to go home. My plan is now to Bus the three stages to Leon whilst my young friend who I'm walking with walks in between.

So I've arrived in Villalcezar de Sirga and as it's the village where miracles happen in the church I'm going to Mass later! Today I walked for two hours before it started hurting.... just now after a two hour lunch I went to the Hostel (private room) and fur the first time on the trip fell over landing on both knees and getting a fat lip.... in that moment I decided.... I'm going home. Tomorrow I'll walk to Carrion de los Condes and will share a a taxi with a woman I met today and go to Ledigos (hubby will walk the 30 km. He is scheduled to leave the Camino from Sahagun to go home. My plan is now to Bus the three stages to Leon whilst my young friend who I'm walking with walks in between.
I was so happy to see your husband had surprised you and was about to comment, when I scrolled down and saw your later post. What a difficult time you have had. I am so sorry you fell, especially after so many days of foot pain. I hope you will be pain free soon. Take care, BonitaHolland.

You are a great resource for this site, so hopefully we will hear when your ready to return.:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well Bonita,
I take my hat off to you as I am sure many others will do too!
You have been a real trooper and have tried so hard despite all the setbacks and the exhaustion
I think that you are now right in making the decision to go home.
Your heart AND your feet are telling you also!
Remember that the Camino will be there if you do decide to return in the future and perhaps that lovely sounding husband might even accompany you.... he might even catch the Camino bug whilst walking the 30 km tomorrow!!
You never know!
Good luck and let us know how it's going post Camino. Annette

I had terrible foot pain on my first and second Camino. I kept looking at others and did not understand how they could walk so well. After getting back home I consulted and found out I have flat feet! Not something the GP checks for.

Before embarking on a Camino, do yourselves favour and visit a podiatrist. They can diagnose, treat, recommend exercises, help you pick you shoes and make orthotics so you can walk pain free.

Took me two Caminos to figure it out. It's no fun at all to be in pain with every footstep.

I had terrible foot pain on my first and second Camino. I kept looking at others and did not understand how they could walk so well. After getting back home I consulted and found out I have flat feet! Not something the GP checks for.

Before embarking on a Camino, do yourselves favour and visit a podiatrist. They can diagnose, treat, recommend exercises, help you pick you shoes and make orthotics so you can walk pain free.

Took me two Caminos to figure it out. It's no fun at all to be in pain with every footstep.
I visited a podiatrist before going on my Camino earlier this year. I had orthotics made 6 months before leaving. Months of training had been a shock to the system. I have weak arches, my feet are 'flat'. I had steadily healing plantar fasciitis in one foot before I left and now have a less serious case in both feet because the full Camino Frances is such an extreme undertaking. I pity anyone who develops full-blown PF while on the Camino, it's agonising. Luckily for me I could stop walking for a month and heal, I was only training. I resumed training with the orthotics. I am now looking into (and practising) Iyengar yoga which includes a few very strenuous foot exercises which are strengthening my arches. The podiatrist and a physiotherapist had given me exercises which are not nearly as detailed or as strength-building as my yoga exercises. Live and learn.

My goal is to be able to walk 400kms without pain and maybe without orthotics. Orthotics compensate for weakness, they don't solve the problem. My orthotics are very hard, they have to be - so foot strike became a problem. The answer as per my previous post above, is to not walk such ridiculously long total distances, to walk shorter days, to take more rest days. Losing some weight also helps. Trying to solve this is a fascinating experience.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

As someone who trained and ran half marathons for several years, I learned that the most important element in training for endurance events is scheduling rest days. If you don't have adequate rest days you will get over-use injuries. After hard exercise you body needs time to recover. I found that at age 60 I needed two full rest days a week and one day of light workout to be able to go week after week without injury. That is 4 hard workouts a week. You may be different, but you still need rest days.

When I planned my biking Camino I figured 11 days in the bike saddle and 19 days total, so I would have 8 days to play tourist, avoid really bad weather and be able to take days off to rest.

Yes, take some rest days, but do stretching and massage to help your recovery. Leon is a big city, I had a great massage just off the Way not far from the Cathedral at a Thai massage place this summer during a rest day. That really helped physically and emotionally and convinced me to get massages farther along my Camino.

Good luck, get in touch with your body.

P.S. I just read about you fall and decision to come back another day. That took courage and I applaud you for your decision.

Last edited:
Are you shoes cushioned? I have the same problem when I'm on my feet too long. I need good arch support with cushioned insoles. I walking on Brooks Ghost running shoes. They are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn . I can walk all day without much pain at all. But, after I take them off and rest for awhile, my feet will really hurt when I walk again. The next day they are good to go again.
I am hoping to go on the Camino Frances next April /May and I have been training and preparing for it. I also bought a pair of Ahnu sugarpine air mesh hiking shoes that are very comfortable but my feet will start hurting after a couple hours. I inserted the insoles from my Brooks shoes and it made all the difference. So what I'm saying is good support and cushioning can help with some foot pain. also ibuprofen is helpful. I hope this helps you so you can continue if that's what you want.
You've given me something to think about too, as far as not trying to do too much at one time. God bless you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As someone who trained and ran half marathons for several years, I learned that the most important element in training for endurance events is scheduling rest days. If you don't have adequate rest days you will get over-use injuries. After hard exercise you body needs time to recover. I found that at age 60 I needed two full rest days a week and one day of light workout to be able to go week after week without injury. That is 4 hard workouts a week. You may be different, but you still need rest days.
Very true. Last year on Camino de Levante I came to Albacete and waking up in pension room just couldn't get myself out of that bed. Thought to myself, OK I'll start later and walk shorter stage. But no go. I put some clothes on, went downstairs to the reception desk and said I'd stay for another night. Went back to my bed and that was the sweetest sleep I have ever had on my Caminos.

Just listen to your body and to yourself and everything will be OK.

all these posts show the importance of right foot wear (I know discussed ad nauseum elsewhere but , since we are on the subject...). If you do nothing else, make sure you have the right footwear. I personally favor having feet measured and fitted at a place that sells only running shoes (for those in the US not Dicks, Foot Locker, etc, but a place where the owner has his own race bibs pinned on the wall). You can tell them all about your planned camino (how can we not, right?) but you want them to watch you walk/run (many stores have treadmills for this), and examine your feet to see if you are a pronator, supinator, or neutral. Have them tell you your shoe size as if you were a marathon runner (afterall, they are covering 26+ miles, and you may also, it will just take you longer--more time on your feet). Then go buy your hiking boots with this information. You could use a outdoor store like REI, but they may be thinking a 5 mile hike with a day pack on soft trails...not 15-20 miles a day for a month with a back pack with road walking ...make sure they know how far you will be walking each day. Remember you shoe has a life expectancy, just as we do... the support system built into the shoe will start to break down as you put mile after mile on them. Nothing new on race day, but nothing ancient, either o_O well, except for your lucky t shirt.
I cringe when I hear people writing how they've decided to wear their flip flops for the next stage :eek:

edit: and about that road walking, pack weight, etc. yes, you may need the heavier shoe/boot. that extra padding in the foot bed is there for a reason. I was talking with a friend who is literally twice my size, when he first decided to run a marathon. He complained how heavy his shoes were. I pointed out the pounding his knees, feet, and ankles took with each foot fall over 26.2, that he would be very happy for the cushioning after mile 13

Last edited:
Having come home broken footed from my Camino, I applaud your decision to return home.

Go easy on yourself - this is a very courageous and difficult decision to make. It would have been so much easier to limp on in pain and then discover the harm on your return (speaking from experience here :oops:).

@David is so right - your Camino is not over, you're just on a different path now... the road far less travelled...

I wish you a safe and gentle journey home... and a swift return to full walking ability.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I started my camino last year on 30th of August and finished on the 30th September, then went to walk on to Finisterre and up along the coast to Muxia. Wasn't until i got home about 3 to 4 months later that i started having severe heel pain on my right heel. Went to see a specialist and he diagnosed Plantar Fasciitis. I got shock treatment for it for a few weeks but unfortunately it didn't help. I'm still in a huge amount of pain since January this year. Only hurts when I stand up for the first time in the morning or if I sit down after a long walk and stand up again. I love walking so it haven't stopped me doing so but am convinced it was the hard surfaces in the camino that brought on the condition. I do hope that you don't have this problem as your camino will end up being pretty torturous for you and you'd be very brave to continue. Hope your foot pain gets better. Perhaps take a few days off and rest your feet. It's amazing how well they heal themselves (pardon the pun) Bon Camino!!!

That's a lovely story- what a lovely husband he must be. L

That's a lovely story- what a lovely husband he must be. L

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I visited a podiatrist before going on my Camino earlier this year. I had orthotics made 6 months before leaving. Months of training had been a shock to the system. I have weak arches, my feet are 'flat'. I had steadily healing plantar fasciitis in one foot before I left and now have a less serious case in both feet because the full Camino Frances is such an extreme undertaking. I pity anyone who develops full-blown PF while on the Camino, it's agonising. Luckily for me I could stop walking for a month and heal, I was only training. I resumed training with the orthotics. I am now looking into (and practising) Iyengar yoga which includes a few very strenuous foot exercises which are strengthening my arches. The podiatrist and a physiotherapist had given me exercises which are not nearly as detailed or as strength-building as my yoga exercises. Live and learn.

My goal is to be able to walk 400kms without pain and maybe without orthotics. Orthotics compensate for weakness, they don't solve the problem. My orthotics are very hard, they have to be - so foot strike became a problem. The answer as per my previous post above, is to not walk such ridiculously long total distances, to walk shorter days, to take more rest days. Losing some weight also helps. Trying to solve this is a fascinating experience.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Iyengar yoga is amazing! For types of yoga, it's my benchmark (as is my original teacher, who was a dancer before she studied yoga with Mr Iyengar himself)

Bonita,

After you get your feet up for a while and have a cuppa or three, you'll probably start itching to get back out there.

I was very lucky with the weather. It rained a lot before during and after The Meseta, but when I got down into Galicia it was a perfect string of sunny spring days all the way to SDC.

Keep in touch. Let us know how you're going. Galicia awaits...
WEBSITE Camino Gallery 24a.jpg

Bonita,

After you get your feet up for a while and have a cuppa or three, you'll probably start itching to get back out there.

I was very lucky with the weather. It rained a lot before during and after The Meseta, but when I got down into Galicia it was a perfect string of sunny spring days all the way to SDC.
Et a
Keep in touch. Let us know how you're going. Galicia awaits...
View attachment 29423
I've arrived in Segahun, went to the Medical centre and took my feet and insect bite for a consultation- after some not insignificant eye brow raising I now have HUGE 500mg anti- biotics some cream plus strong painkillers for the infected bite and the instruction to STOP WALKING for 4/5 days.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sounds like a good reason to hang out in the square & soak it in:)

Sounds like a good reason to hang out in the square & soak it in:)
Yep I'm catching the train to Leon in the morning and spending 3 nights in the Parador- fluffy white towels and bathroom PRODUCTS here I come! I'll fly home Friday I think. I've been walking since Sep 3rd and stopped walking today Oct 3rd so a whole month and just over half done, not what I expected but still an achievement.

Yep I'm catching the train to Leon in the morning and spending 3 nights in the Parador- fluffy white towels and bathroom PRODUCTS here I come! I'll fly home Friday I think. I've been walking since Sep 3rd and stopped walking today Oct 3rd so a whole month and just over half done, not what I expected but still an achievement.
Yep it is simply wonderfull to have a private bathroom. Enjoy!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Simply no luck for you this year... Sorry to hear that and hope you'll return someday.

Ultreia!

Leon Cathedral marks the end of my Camino .... it's feeling like a Santiago to me... will I come back? I'm not sure... perhaps I got what I needed during this last 4 weeks....so thank you all for all the likes and support and humour and warmth and for sharing this.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Beautiful photo of the cathedral windows, such a peace filled place to spend some time.
We had to cut short our first camino in 2014, too as my husband developed a clot in his leg. It was a very disappointing time for us, but we had three wonderful days in Astorga with other pilgrims (now good friends) and then hot footed to the UK and saw a doctor over there. In retrospect we think if we'd given it two more rest days we could have continued to walk, but who knew!
The thing is that we have the most wonderful memories from our time and also a delicious anticipation of getting back in 2018.
So, job well done bonitaholland, you've had a month that will stay with you forever and will have changed you in ways that, like we found, may surprise and delight you. Buen camino

What a wonderful surprise.
Regarding your feet you should see medic, so many people ignore this and before they know it their camino is over.
I hope all works out well for you.

Buen Camino
I did see a medic well two in fact at the wonderful medical centre in Sehugun who said 'go home' which I have done. I've been home for a week now and I'm still in a lot of pain so I'm glad I made the decision to stop. What's interesting to me is that I didn't feel frustrated or that my Camino was 'cut short' in fact it felt perfect and I ended on a high with some fun filled days in Leon then Madrid. I'd spent 5 weeks walking and I was happy to go home. My OH was very pleased to see me when I got back- our walking adventures together continue although closer to home on the Pilgrim's Way which is near our house ....

I guess it's not all about completing the whole journey in one go, so many people do it in stages. I was very fortunate in being able to do the whole camino in one go, I had my ups and downs but luckily they all worked out well.
What's the pilgrims way like? My wife and I have been talking about doing Winchester to Canterbury possibly next year.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I guess it's not all about completing the whole journey in one go, so many people do it in stages. I was very fortunate in being able to do the whole camino in one go, I had my ups and downs but luckily they all worked out well.
What's the pilgrims way like? My wife and I have been talking about doing Winchester to Canterbury possibly next year.

Hi @Waka almost every year there's a pilgrimage to Canterbury and I might be doing it in August 2017 wt the Redbridge RC community group... costs about 250£ for the fotnight. U get a blessing from Winchester cathedral before setting off and accommodation are in church halls etc... I think there is a van to transport packs if wished... and when in Canterbury there's a mass to mark the pilgrimage.... there are mass at every stopping points....

Last edited:
Hi @Waka almost every year there's a pilgrimage to Canterbury and I might be doing it in August 2017 wt the Redbridge RC community group... costs about 250£ for the fotnight. U get a blessing from Winchester cathedral before setting off and accommodation are in church halls etc... I think there is a van to transport packs if wished... and when in Canterbury there's a mass to mark the pilgrimage.... there are mass at every stopping points....

@AcrossTheWater3008, thank you for he information, I've been into the web to see if they have a website, I can't find anything, do you perchance have any details regarding contact etc so i can get more info?

Hi @Waka the website is thepilgrims.org.uk and is run by the Dorking group, not Redbridge and there is a person to contact. I have never walked with the group before, but have been looking at their website for a while. There is a reunion weekend next saturday in Banstead, from Friday evening to Sunday, with a 12 mile walk on saturday.

If you are unable to get the contact person details (which is on the website), pls pm me....I will give you her contact details. I wonder if @BonitaHolland knows the group as this could be her part of the world.

Cheers

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
...I've been home for a week now and I'm still in a lot of pain so I'm glad I made the decision to stop. What's interesting to me is that I didn't feel frustrated or that my Camino was 'cut short' in fact it felt perfect and I ended on a high with some fun filled days in Leon then Madrid. ....

As someone who has gone through rehab for Achilles tendon surgery and knee surgery and a host of minor running related problems, may I suggest that when you talk to you doctor about your continued pain you ask for a physical therapy prescription. PT's, especially if Sports PT's are really great. Mine explained to me about how critical "balanced muscles" are to correct gate. Mine conducted lifting exercises to find the strength of specific muscles. Then we established goals as to what they should be able to lift in relationship to their companion muscles. So my weakened muscles due to surgery, needed to be strengthened, but the question was by how much and what other muscles that had compensated needed to have their companion muscles strengthened.

It was stuff I had no idea was important. However, after lots of time at a gym in the weight machine and free weight are, I did get my muscles to finally be relatively well balanced. I was also amazed at how important core muscle strength was.

My suggestion is for you to see a PT hit the gym as part of your rehap from your injury and use this as a way to get in shape for the next leg of your Camino or whatever closer to home pilgrimage you choose.

I am glad that you had a good Camino experience.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Than
As someone who has gone through rehab for Achilles tendon surgery and knee surgery and a host of minor running related problems, may I suggest that when you talk to you doctor about your continued pain you ask for a physical therapy prescription. PT's, especially if Sports PT's are really great. Mine explained to me about how critical "balanced muscles" are to correct gate. Mine conducted lifting exercises to find the strength of specific muscles. Then we established goals as to what they should be able to lift in relationship to their companion muscles. So my weakened muscles due to surgery, needed to be strengthened, but the question was by how much and what other muscles that had compensated needed to have their companion muscles strengthened.

It was stuff I had no idea was important. However, after lots of time at a gym in the weight machine and free weight are, I did get my muscles to finally be relatively well balanced. I was also amazed at how important core muscle strength was.

My suggestion is for you to see a PT hit the gym as part of your rehap from your injury and use this as a way to get in shape for the next leg of your Camino or whatever closer to home pilgrimage you choose.

I am glad that you had a good Camino experience.
Thank you for this very useful advice I've also been measured up for new boots and find that I've got feet that have swollen to a size and a half bigger than my old boots! Mind you they were trusted old boots and will have stretched over the years but still makes you think eh?

Last edited:
Hi @Waka the website is thepilgrims.org.uk and is run by the Dorking group, not Redbridge and there is a person to contact. I have never walked with the group before, but have been looking at their website for a while. There is a reunion weekend next saturday in Banstead, from Friday evening to Sunday, with a 12 mile walk on saturday.

If you are unable to get the contact person details (which is on the website), pls pm me....I will give you her contact details. I wonder if @BonitaHolland knows the group as this could be her part of the world.

Cheers

Thanks @AcrossTheWater3008, done a little more digging and have found that a group from Winchester do it on a yearly basis, it cost around £200 all found, sleeping in church halls etc, I'm waiting for their 2017 programme to be published. I'll have to see what their timings are for next year, but I'm definitely interested.

Thanks @AcrossTheWater3008, done a little more digging and have found that a group from Winchester do it on a yearly basis, it cost around £200 all found, sleeping in church halls etc, I'm waiting for their 2017 programme to be published. I'll have to see what their timings are for next year, but I'm definitely interested.

Hi so glad u found the website. The organiser emailed me that the cost will be about 250£... (but its not finalised yet!) Might see you at the pilgrimage!

G

Hi so glad u found the website. The organiser emailed me that the cost will be about 250£... (but its not finalised yet!) Might see you at the pilgrimage!

G

Found as different one, this pilgrimage is run by the RC Diocese of Arundel & Brighten, see link to their page.

http://www.pilgrimswaycanterbury.org/news/

They don't have anything about 2017 yet, the website says all are welcome.

Hope you find it useful

Leon Cathedral marks the end of my Camino .... it's feeling like a Santiago to me... will I come back? I'm not sure... perhaps I got what I needed during this last 4 weeks....so thank you all for all the likes and support and humour and warmth and for sharing this.
So glad your Camino ended on a good note, BonitaHolland, in spite of all the pain you endured. Your photo of the Leon Cathedral windows is beautiful, and the parador in Leon sounds like a wonderful place for a respite. I'm delighted to hear Leon felt like a Santiago for you and that you are home, recovering, and feeling more positive about your Camino journey. I hope your foot pain is eased fully soon. Sue

So glad your Camino ended on a good note, BonitaHolland, in spite of all the pain you endured. Your photo of the Leon Cathedral windows is beautiful, and the parador in Leon sounds like a wonderful place for a respite. I'm delighted to hear Leon felt like a Santiago for you and that you are home, recovering, and feeling more positive about your Camino journey. I hope your foot pain is eased fully soon. Sue
Thank you for your kind words I had an X-ray yesterday as the GP is concerned I may have broken a small bone or even have a bone chip floating about which would explain why the pain hasn't subsided 3 weeks after getting home - and he confirmed I also have Plantar Facilitis. Next step is possible foot surgery then rehab. I'm very happy that I made the right decision to come home- and yet my Camino has continued here in many ways. I loved my 5 weeks on the road walking and carrying my pack but I also love my home my comforts and my partner who as you all know travelled out to support me taking 13 hours to travel from London and turning up just past Fromista to surprise me, I've never been so relieved to see him.

Thank you for your kind words I had an X-ray yesterday as the GP is concerned I may have broken a small bone or even have a bone chip floating about which would explain why the pain hasn't subsided 3 weeks after getting home - and he confirmed I also have Plantar Facilitis. Next step is possible foot surgery then rehab. I'm very happy that I made the right decision to come home- and yet my Camino has continued here in many ways. I loved my 5 weeks on the road walking and carrying my pack but I also love my home my comforts and my partner who as you all know travelled out to support me taking 13 hours to travel from London and turning up just past Fromista to surprise me, I've never been so relieved to see him.
Oh, no... So sorry your foot problems so severe. I hope your doctor comes up with solution and you heal soon. You clearly did make the right decision. I'm glad you still feel good about your Camino and how it continues, including the joys of being home with your loving partner. Take care.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back