• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Small Folding Knife - Buses/Trains in 2024

ROjeda

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, San Salvador, Primitivo (Planned)
Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in 2024. I've read old threads in the Forum on knives in trains and aircraft, yet security regulations change often, and haven't found a thread on buses. Looking forward to your input. Buen camino! Rodrigo.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in 2024. I've read old threads in the Forum on knives in trains and aircraft, yet security regulations change often, and haven't found a thread on buses. Looking forward to your input. Buen camino! Rodrigo.
They do a check of your luggage on high speed and long distance trains in Spain. They have not checked our pockets or made us walk through a metal detector. I carried a folding knife on the train from Santiago to Madrid this winter.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hola - @J Willhaus ; @ROjeda Back in 2013 and 2015 I travelled on the high speed Spanish trains and yes all of my luggage was scanned and from memory I had to pass through an airport type security/x-ray. I don't recall having to empty pockets. I seem to recall that the cut off for knives was a blade of less than 60mm (6CM or 2 in). A search of the RENFE web site might provide more info.
Cheers for now.

Santiago train station scanned luggage and had a walk-through metal detector in 2022 for our train to Madrid.

In 2015 my luggage and purse had to go through a scanner for a Renfe trip between Barcelona and Madrid. I believe that I also had to walk through a scanner.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I always travel with an Opinel knife in Spain. I don't remember any luggage scanners or metal detectors at bus stations, and have ridden on numerous buses with the knife in my pocket.

The bigger train stations have scanners and detectors, I just throw the knife in my pack and it's never been mentioned by the scanners. Then back in my pocket for the train ride.

Any of the Opinel #6 or #7 are great Camino knives. They are legal to carry (no auto lock), do not look dangerous or tactical, and are extremely popular with locals.

Last edited:
Here is the Renfe site with information about what is not allowed. Among other things not allowed are:
  • Pocket knives and knives with blades longer than 6 cm.
  • Scissors whose blades exceed 6 cm in length from the shaft, etc.
Of course there is also the proviso that they can decide what items might be safety risks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Any of the Opinel #6 or #7 are great Camino knives. They are legal to carry (no auto lock)
The question of this thread is not whether it is legal to carry a pocket knife, or other knives, in Spain. The question is whether it is legal to carry a small folding knife with a short blade in 2024 on trains and buses in Spain. The question is also not whether a pocket knife was detected by scanners in railway stations, the question is which lengths are prohibited.

Renfe states on their website that blades longer than 6 cm are prohibited - btw, the same legal prohibition as on flights within the EU. According to a list on the Opinel website, their models #6 and #7 have blades longer than 6 cm, and hence they are prohibited on Renfe trains (either on all trains or only on selected high-speed trains?).

Opinel pocket knives.jpg

Last edited:
I never heard about knives restrictions in buses or trains.
In France at least, you are allowed to carry a knife (in a bag, in a backpack...) but not to hold it on yourself, especially if the blade can be locked open (like for Opinel). It makes a difference between "port d'arme" and "transport d'arme".
Of course, in any case, if you are arrested near a fight with a long-blade knife, it is not your lucky day...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've carried my Swiss Army knife on trains and buses in Portugal, France and Spain from 2008 to 2024 and never had a problem with security...Buen Camino

I've passed through security at Madrid Chamartin and Ourense several times. Carried my folding knife in my trouser pocket, pack went in the scanner. No problem - no airport type body scanner.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What are the restrictions for mailing a small Opinal knife back to the USA?

I was able to once mail a No. 7 knife from the post office in the Madrid airport. There was a lot of language confusion at the window with the customs forms, but they eventually accepted, and it was delivered in a few weeks to my home mailbox.

The next year the knife was refused at the airport post office and all package delivery services companies. The knife was left in Spain at the hotel.

-Paul

Restrictions on blade size and also considerations of weight meant we took the Victorinox Swiss Army card on early Caminos and latterly their mini pen-knife style, bought in Spain in case of problems travelling out. The blades of either were in fact short enough to pass controls.
Victorinox are a reliable make and we found either the 'Classic' card or the folding knife/scissor/file set adequate for our needs.

My Swiss Army Spartan knife with a 2.5 inch/6.35 cm blade (closed 3.6 in/9 cm) buried in my backpack passed through the Renfe metal detectors in Santiago in November 2023 without an issue, but that may have just been luck.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have had a small knife taken on two occasions, 'depends on security of the day' ( some have mentioned similar ).
"Things to do" on starting a Camino.
I stop in the first sizeable town China Store and pick up a knife, they always have an assortment, yes... it's not high quality but it will cut things. Leave it before you return home as a Camino expense.

Things you never want to hear ahead of you while going through security...
"But that's my favorite knife! Pero ese es mi cuchillo favorito! "

Two things are now guaranteed:

Your own transit will be delayed a bit,

and the Lord may giveth, but TSA/ Renfe security taketh away.

My suggestion ( like others) is buy a knife after you get there, and donate it before you leave.

In 2016 I bought an Opinel carbide blade knife at the little hardware store in SJPdP and carried it for the Camino. In SdC I bought souvenir knives for my sons and mailed them all back home to the U.S. My Opinel is priceless to me! BTW, the post office in SdC was unsure if regulations would prohibit my knives from entering the U.S. in the mail, but I was willing to take a chance. They made it.

They do a check of your luggage on high speed and long distance trains in Spain. They have not checked our pockets or made us walk through a metal detector. I carried a folding knife on the train from Santiago to Madrid this winter.
I also have carried a Swiss knife in my backpack on train from Madrid to Santiago and also one from madrid to Pamplona. .

I always travel with an Opinel knife in Spain. I don't remember any luggage scanners or metal detectors at bus stations, and have ridden on numerous buses with the knife in my pocket.

The bigger train stations have scanners and detectors, I just throw the knife in my pack and it's never been mentioned by the scanners. Then back in my pocket for the train ride.

Any of the Opinel #6 or #7 are great Camino knives. They are legal to carry (no auto lock), do not look dangerous or tactical, and are extremely popular with locals.
Love the opinel. I have to leave mine at home since I’m not checking a bag at the airport but I plan to find one for my walk lunches😊

You could buy a sword (Toledo anyone?) and happily carry it on RENFE if you were in possession of the original receipt showing you bought it that day.

Otherwise it’s the medium and long-distance trains which have ‘airport style’ security with a bag-scanner and a walk-through arch. Whoever said above they’ve never seen it at Chamartin, I disagree - it’s been in a distinct area on the right of the departures area for at least 15 years to my certain knowledge.

Anyway, the staff’s attention to detail varies and, although all I have is a legal-carry leather-man, I bury it in my small ‘electronics’ pouch with my power bank and cables.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Seems very hit and miss. Last year I went through Leon, Oviedo, Palencia, San Sebastian and Bilbao RENFE stations without having to have any scan whatsoever. Same with several FEVE stations though, to be honest, it's mainly a commuter route and many of the stations were little more than bus shelters.

Remember the old saying "never travel with anything so treasured that you'd be heartbroken to lose it."

Knives are very much a machismo thing in Spain most towns will have a shop where you can buy the most deadliest of Rambo knives (if that's your thing). Buy an Opinel and if it gets confiscated it gets confiscated.

Thank you all for your insights. I will take the purchased Gerber, I'm not really attached to it (reason why I am leaving my Swiss Knife at home, which I do treasure), I just thought it was the most practical. And hey, so many reviews of the Opinel, I may be secretly wishing they confiscate the Gerber, so I can buy one (perhaps with the corkscrew) :). Cheers, and Buen Camino!

The last two Caminos I carried the below Opinel knife onto planes, trains and buses without confiscation. I have no idea of the legal specifications and restrictions on various knives. My hypothesis is that the rounded end of the blade makes it less menacing and that’s why it wasn't confiscated. I have no idea if this is true but I will keep carrying it on until they take it from me. I took this one because I kept stabbing myself with the sharp end models.

Attachments

• IMG_6836.png
    IMG_6836.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
a walk-through arch. Whoever said above they’ve never seen it at Chamartin, I disagree
That was probably me. Been through Chamartin three times in the last few years - on the first occasion I had a penknife in my pack, which was detected. However, the operator couldn't find it in the pack, decided I wasn't a high risk, and let me go through. On the two subsequent occasions I put the knife in my trouser pocket - there was no scanner arch.

Depends which country, but penknife-size and Swiss-Army-knife-size ones are pretty much OK throughout Europe. They may not be at all OK on International flights though.

Anything resembling a switchblade or that is too long may cause issues.

Pre-9/11 you could potentially work something out, for example sending it in a cardboard box, but those days are long gone.

Honestly ? Not sure where you're arriving, but I'd say best practice would be leave your favoured knife at home, then get a Camino knife at this end. If desired and you get attached to it, send it home through the Post. Strap it into bubble wrap if needed !!

Last edited:
What about fixed-blade knives, as far as train and bus transport in Spain? I have a knife with a 2" blade (5.08cm), but it's not a folder.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Poles on planes ( no, not them, hiking thingies); knives in pockets; credit cards or cash; blankets and bedbugs - it’s amazing to me what people fret about when planning their Camino. I wish they’d pay a bit more attention to why they’re walking the bluddy thing in the first place.

For the record: I always carry a “legal” Opinel. Sometimes they get confiscated ☹️

What about fixed-blade knives, as far as train and bus transport in Spain? I have a knife with a 2" blade (5.08cm), but it's not a folder.
Bus no problem. I have never had to walk through a metal detector on train, but had to put my bag through.

Poles on planes ( no, not them, hiking thingies); knives in pockets; credit cards or cash; blankets and bedbugs - it’s amazing to me what people fret about when planning their Camino. I wish they’d pay a bit more attention to why they’re walking the bluddy thing in the first place.
I don't know that we are fretting, Tincatinker. I'm a project planner. I can sweat the details without sweating!

Planning is fun for me, and learning what details I might ahead of time is part of the game. On the other hand, I feel fine watching plans get altered (even blown apart) and circumstances changing.

Apt Spanish proverb: El hombre propone, y Dios dispone. - Man proposes, God disposes.

On the Camino, your mileage may vary!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I never heard about knives restrictions in buses or trains.
Neither did I, until my much-loved Opinel was confiscated in Zaragoza last month.
To add to my pain, I had to sign a consent form and personally throw it in the bin.
It caused some amusement when I gave the knife a farewell kiss 😄

I had no issues in Figueres the previous day (same scanners and long distance train line), so I guess there's an element of luck in this.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

For the record: I always carry a “legal” Opinel. Sometimes they get confiscated ☹️
Hola Tincatinker, I'd suggest you don't assume that attention is not being placed in the "why" or the "reason" to walk the Camino, just because I ask about carriage of a knife, or any other topic. You may not have issues or questions because you're a veteran, but many come to this Forum because we're facing the Camino for the first time, and we do have questions, many at times, particularly when you put your savings and time to the task. I am reading a lot of "veterans" answers just like yours and its really off-putting.

Hola Tincatinker, I'd suggest you don't assume that attention is not being placed in the "why" or the "reason" to walk the Camino, just because I ask about carriage of a knife, or any other topic. You may not have issues or questions because you're a veteran, but many come to this Forum because we're facing the Camino for the first time, and we do have questions, many at times, particularly when you put your savings and time to the task. I am reading a lot of "veterans" answers just like yours and its really off-putting.
Hey, I’m sorry if my post has evoked those feelings. I do remember that as not much more than a boy setting out into an unknown world I felt trepidation, even fear. What I can have no memory of is this modern net of information, news and nonsense that might have calmed my fears but that I suspect would have just fed them.

I felt and still feel that your original question was a classic of this modern age. You knew the answer but you were hoping that sufficient internet opinion would change the actuality. You have received the responses that I would have anticipated: your knife may be legal but it still may be confiscated.

My post was not directed at you. It was a rant, a bellow of rage, perhaps a howl of despair. Perhaps the veteran responses you have read are driven by no more than rage against the dying of the light but please consider that the Camino means more to some than just a comfortable hike wherein all the disquieting possibilities have been ticked off and laid to rest long before the “fasten seat belts” lights pierce the gloom. No offence was intended.

I sincerely wish you a Buen Camino

Hey, I’m sorry if my post has evoked those feelings. I do remember that as not much more than a boy setting out into an unknown world I felt trepidation, even fear. What I can have no memory of is this modern net of information, news and nonsense that might have calmed my fears but that I suspect would have just fed them.

I felt and still feel that your original question was a classic of this modern age. You knew the answer but you were hoping that sufficient internet opinion would change the actuality. You have received the responses that I would have anticipated: your knife may be legal but it still may be confiscated.

My post was not directed at you. It was a rant, a bellow of rage, perhaps a howl of despair. Perhaps the veteran responses you have read are driven by no more than rage against the dying of the light but please consider that the Camino means more to some than just a comfortable hike wherein all the disquieting possibilities have been ticked off and laid to rest long before the “fasten seat belts” lights pierce the gloom. No offence was intended.

I sincerely wish you a Buen Camino
Thank you for your reply Tincatinker, no offence taken. Truly don't know many answers to issues brought by our modern age (like when no one cared if you carried a knife). I wish it would also be simpler. But that's why this Forum is of great value to all, because it let's us receive that opinion that may or may not relieve our anxieties, so that we can focus on the Camino once we take that first step wherever we begin. Cheers, and Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.