• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Snoring

Baldie Git

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2019
Starting the Camino in a couple of weeks with a friend. His wife says he snores badly. Any advice for how to get some sleep and still remain friends? Ear plug recommendations?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Starting the Camino in a couple of weeks with a friend. His wife says he snores badly. Any advice for how to get some sleep and still remain friends? Ear plug recommendations?

1. Don’t sleep near him.
2. The little yellow foam ones are as good as any.
3. Take plenty of spares - you’ll gain many friends by offering them around.

I snore like a pneumatic drill. I usually seek out private rooms. If I use communal accommodation I produce a big bag of earplugs and offer them round.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I use these for sleeping. I also use them when target shooting. They are quite effective. Please Note: There are techniques/instructions with most earplugs, which are necessary to follow (in some manner) when inserting them, in order to achieve maximum effectiveness.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Snoring of others doesn't have any effect on my sleep because I snore myself. I think that's about the best recipe I can give you. Snoring is just a part of communal living along with stale air, bad smell, wet floor in bathrooms etc.

Buen Camino ;)

After a few days walking you should be fatigued enough to sleep in a sawmill.No? Try a shot of aguardiente, Spanish firewater, not brave enough(?) then orujo after dinner should knock you right out.

My husband and I finished the Camino Frances a few days ago. He has terrible apnea and after two nights at albergues, we came across pilgrims who, politely and desperately, begged the volunteers to not have husband anywhere in their vicinity. A couple places had private rooms so he stayed alone there and I stayed with everyone else. We also stayed at a couple pensións as well.

I took a bag full of earplugs (rated for gun ranges) and offered them to everyone. I found though that in this day and age, most already had some or used earbuds to listen to music or white noise apps. There will more than likely be multiple snorers in the room, so most people are prepared for that.

Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I definitely recommend earplugs. The wax ones work best for me. Don’t do what I did once though. I can’t hear a thing with them in my ears, and one morning, having slept in a full dorm of 12 people, the cleaning lady woke me up after everyone else had left 😨 . I hadn’t heard a thing. Had the bathroom to myself though 😂.

Oh and be sure to try different types of earplugs before a trip. I used my custom-molded ones but couldn't sleep with them in. Wax ones caused me awful ear pain no matter what I tried. I ended up going with the foam ones you roll between your fingers.

I definitely recommend earplugs. The wax ones work best for me. Don’t do what I did once though. I can’t hear a thing with them in my ears, and one morning, having slept in a full dor m of 12 people, the cleaning lady woke me up after everyone else had left 😨 . I hadn’t heard a thing. Had the bathroom to myself though 😂.
I was about to make the same point. There is always the risk of sleeping-in if the earplugs screen all noise, including an alarm if you have set one. It's happened to me.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I start the Camino Francis on the 1 at Oct. And I am the champion snorer. I have got a new machine for my sleep apnea. And I plan to carry this with me. So as long as I have power to plug it in. Everyone around me should sleep ok. It also helps me get better rest. But it weighs about 3. Kg. I plan to carry my bag. And stay in municipal and shared hostels.. but I also discovered in previous Camino's. I am not the only one who snores. Although I reputed to be a champion snorer. Buen camino

Snoring, farting, smelly feet etc. are all a part of communal living. Don't be embarrassed or offended by it, just look on it as part of the experience. As others have noted this is not a conventional holiday but an experience that can be rewarding on so many levels. Buen Camino! ( and take your ear plugs 😉)

Pls do not bring the wife! - and you'll both be fine.
Tired pilgrims,esp men will fall like timber after a day's toil and the dinner and snore like diesel trains..
I mysel feel secure in this acoustic enviroment..
It will all be ok..

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think the yellow foam earplugs are not very effective. However, the shapeable silicone earplugs really worked well for me during my Camino. They don’t eliminate all sound but will reduce most snoring down to something bearable that will allow you to sleep.

My preferred method for dealing with snoring, though, is to wear earbuds and listen to a white noise app on my iPhone. I use a buff to keep the earbuds in.
You are such a mystical and complicated man Thomas!!!

I start the Camino Francis on the 1 at Oct. And I am the champion snorer. I have got a new machine for my sleep apnea. And I plan to carry this with me. So as long as I have power to plug it in. Everyone around me should sleep ok. It also helps me get better rest. But it weighs about 3. Kg. I plan to carry my bag. And stay in municipal and shared hostels.. but I also discovered in previous Camino's. I am not the only one who snores. Although I reputed to be a champion snorer. Buen camino
I’ve got a very small travel sleep apnea machine, weighs less than a kilo. Also has a battery that is supposed to last for 3 nights, so don’t need power. A Transcend.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I will let all of you in on a little tiny secret that most of you probably know that was taught to me by a Brazilian woman one day walking somewhere on my first camino. I have earplugs you buy in a hardware store for 50 cents a pair. She told me twist the earplugs and wind them tight. Stick them in your ear and then as they will start to expand immediately start twisting them the other way in your ear. After this I push them into my ear just a little. Believe me they do not go in too far and you can get them out without a problem. They will form a pretty solid seal. Before she taught me this I was woken up alot as I could hear the snorers. Afterwards, I slept like a baby.

During our first camino frances (2015), we mostly stayed in municipal albergues. Snoring was big problem for us and kept us awake many times. Even in the Roncesvalles albergue - despite hiking the Napoleon route that day, noise traveled on the open air dorms. Loud snoring, toilets flushing throughout the night, some people chatting after 9 pm. I had earplugs but they didn't do much to help me sleep. The worst place was the municipal in Najera - 46 bunkbeds = 92 pilgrims sleeping in one room. The ventilation was terrible as was the noise.

During our second camino frances (2017), we traveled with my brother and his wife. We stayed in a few municipal albergues, but mostly stayed in "quad" rooms with two bunk beds and a private bath. To my amazement, my brother had become a very loud snorer. He'd snore until 2 pm, then go silent, then his wife began to snore!

A good night's sleep is essential to getting off to a good start the next day. So for our third camino (we fly to Barcelona tomorrow), we've reserved private rooms every night. Solves the snoring issue and also avoids us fighting for bathroom space and privacy. Hey, the US dollar is strong and the stock market is doing great, so why not splurge on yourself ! ?

Bob

I have never found earplugs really effective against the mighty snorers. Snores tend to resonate, and bunks shake. There is no solution.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My husband and I finished the Camino Frances a few days ago. He has terrible apnea and after two nights at albergues, we came across pilgrims who, politely and desperately, begged the volunteers to not have husband anywhere in their vicinity. A couple places had private rooms so he stayed alone there and I stayed with everyone else. We also stayed at a couple pensións as well.

I took a bag full of earplugs (rated for gun ranges) and offered them to everyone. I found though that in this day and age, most already had some or used earbuds to listen to music or white noise apps. There will more than likely be multiple snorers in the room, so most people are prepared for that.

Buen Camino!
I hope you husband has had a sleep study done for his own good health. Snoring and apnea are a serious medical problem and the new CPAP machine doesn’t make noise.

I used a thin tape that spread over my nose...I found it in a pharmacy. No one poked me with a trekking pole, so maybe it worked!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I will sleep through The Apocalypse but once earned much beer in an Alpine Hut in exchange for ear plugs as we have a notorious snorer in our trekking group. Top Tip: a bag of ear plugs is excellent currency anywhere that shared accommodation is found.

I went to the ear, nose and throat doctor and the audiologist made me a custom pair that really keep out the sound! My husband is a terrible snorer also. It is really a problem but these really help and I always bring my sound machine with me also. It is a little portable Brookstone sound machine. Good luck!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would guess I probably have 150 nights spent in albergues. Yes, many of those nights I spent sharing a room with snorer(s). I am sure it was an inconvenience at the time but I really couldn't specifically tell you when or where those times occurred. My point is that it never affected my overall experience on the walk and was quickly forgotten and chalked up as just a part of communal living.

This is a true story. I knew this topic would come up during my journey. I contracted a wicked cold on my long trip here and I had been snoring the few nights I was able to sleep (obviously). While at donativo albergue in Santo Domingo, a lady sat up, reached over and popped me in the head. I was so stunned, I turned my head to the other end prepared to kick her if she touched me again. I don’t want to go too far with my tirade but in my country, her actions would be considered assault. Perhaps a gentle word or even touch would have been acceptable. I point her out to my mates whenever I see her!!!
Currently in Potomarin approaching finish line!!
NancyLee

Foam ones hopeless for me. Wax or silicone ones block noise totally, even if vibrations still occasionally experienced! Bottle of Rioja works best when in tandem with earplugs 😉....

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Try earplugs and listening to white noise but if you still can’t sleep you might have to get a private room and meet up in the morning. It depends on your tolerance because others in communal sleeping aren’t bothered by it. Personally I value sleep. I walked with my best friend this summer and we ended up having very different walking styles so we just met up from time to time and we both enjoyed it.

I had my sleep apnea diagnosed by a German doctor that got very little sleep in Azofra's albergue (2 bedded rooms). I lugged my AirSense 10 CPAP (NOT a portable version) on the next two. My back hurt more, as the CPAP took up half the interior space of my pack, but I'm sure that other pilgrims got more sleep...

I have really considered sleeping only in private rooms from now on. I do snore, I don't think like a chainsaw but I know how much it aggravates people. On the Norte in an albergue, after a particularly trying day, my husband and I were assigned to a room with two bunks, the other being occupied by a German couple. Directly after falling off to sleep, my husband came down from his bunk to wake me from my snore. I could tell in that instance how terrible he felt for me since I was needfully resting so soundly. For the rest of the night I tried to stay awake for fear of keeping everyone awake, only to have the chainsaws start up from the German couple. The next day my husband tearfully confessed how bad he felt for waking me out of embarrased concern for the other couple when they themselves were guilty of the noisy transgression. It was a tender moment. Nevertheless in group situations I still didnt feel completely comfortable falling asleep. A horrible feeling to have when you are exhausted even though I love the albergue experience in general. Just a perspective from the other side.

This is a true story. I knew this topic would come up during my journey. I contracted a wicked cold on my long trip here and I had been snoring the few nights I was able to sleep (obviously). While at donativo albergue in Santo Domingo, a lady sat up, reached over and popped me in the head. I was so stunned, I turned my head to the other end prepared to kick her if she touched me again. I don’t want to go too far with my tirade but in my country, her actions would be considered assault. Perhaps a gentle word or even touch would have been acceptable. I point her out to my mates whenever I see her!!!
Currently in Potomarin approaching finish line!!
NancyLee
Agree. A bit of a line crossed when someone touches you without consent (barring an emergency situation, of course and snoring not an emergency).
I snore on occasion if I sleep on my back and my head angled a bit upwards on the pillow. I make it a point to sleep on my side, but while on the Camino quite often I am so tired I just fall asleep in whatever body position I am in. One night in an albergue room shared with about six other pilgrims, I began to snore I guess. I remember being shook awoke by a male pilgrim who had his hands on both my shoulders. Seemed like a dream at first until I shook the fog off. He said something to me about snoring and went back to his bed. I was kind of stunned and just lay there for a while before I fell back asleep as of course that being shook awake dumps a bit of adrenaline in your system and takes a bit to relax and sleep again. The next morning as everyone in the room was getting ready, I apologized about my snoring, but told the pilgrim who woke me that he should refrain from doing that, especially to someone he does not know as it can be seen as offensive and intrusive. I would not dare think of doing that.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
On our first Camino our first night at Orisson, one man in our 6-person room snored loudly non stop and sometimes choked. No one but this man slept a wink. After a few nights my husband and I gave up communal sleeping due to people snoring but while we were in our private room one night we actually heard snoring through the wall—it was that man from the first night! He told us it was his 7th Camino and he is banned from many albergues due to his snoring but when he’s not banned he sleeps in communal rooms. That’s why we have always stayed in private rooms. It costs us more money and I know there’s an aspect of the Camino we miss not doing the communal situation but walking those miles is hard enough, I need all the sleep I can get.

I am a snorer - guilty as charged.
My long suffering wife has worn earplugs every night for the past couple of decades and so she is quite an expert of her own ears. Her advice is definitely to try a wide variety of different ear plugs before settling on your personal favourites.
The shared communal experience was a major part of my Camino pilgrimage. I consider myself shy and have poor small talk. I set myself an objective to meet and speak with a hundred people over my two week trip.
Therefore staying at municipal albergues was important, despite the snoring.
I quickly learned to announce my affliction to fellow travellers and to specifically invite anyone to wake me if (or when) I snore. However, I hadn't thought to carry ear plugs to give away - what a wonderful idea - thank you for the excellent suggestion.
I also tended to wake and leave early - perhaps this was subconsciously to escape recriminations from fellow sleepers (or non-sleepers). However, I was pleasantly surprised by the friends that I made on the journey - including those who had shared albergues with me. Perhaps my humble apologies had won them over.

However, I might have hit on a partial fix for my snoring which involves yet another use of the ubiquitious Buff. I know that my snoring is when I am lying on my back with slack jaw and open mouth. I may fall asleep on my side, but roll over in the night and end up on my back - with noisy consequences. Wearing a Buff in bed, I was able to stretch it under my jaw, over my ears and over the top of my head. This kept my own earplugs in but more important it supported my jaw and kept my mouth closed throughout the night. I only hit on this solution towards the end of my Camino and will hopefully be a better member of the community when I return next year.

If you know you snore and intend to use albugues this web site has devices which will work for some.

The cost of the items advertised is minimal compared to the costs of equipment, backpacks, shoes, and airfares that are paid to walk caminos.

Do you not as a snorer have a duty to your fellow sleepers to at least try to prevent your interference with their nights sleep?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you know you snore and intend to use albugues this web site has devices which will work for some.

The cost of the items advertised is minimal compared to the costs of equipment, backpacks, shoes, and airfares that are paid to walk caminos.

Do you not as a snorer have a duty to your fellow sleepers to at least try to prevent your interference with their nights sleep?

Sure. But what if nothing can be done? What if there's no medical basis for the snoring? And why doesn't anyone bring earplugs for themselves since it's on every single Camino packing list out there AND roughly half of the population snores? Those who don't snore get to self-righteously rage and mock the other half that do? Does that really make any progress for anyone? Plus, where is the compassion, oh pilgrims? I can't believe pilgrims were begging albergues to not let another pilgrim (her husband) stay there (and he knew/heard about it? how devastating!). Do not you as a non-snorer/light sleeper have a duty to take care of yourself by having earplugs or earbuds, plus have the duty to not make others feel like $#!+ that they are somehow directly and solely responsible for your comfort?

It feels like every few weeks there's another thread complaining about snorers, and every time the conversations develop the same way.

Buen camino, everyone.

Last edited:
If your friend wouldn't take offense at the request, there are strips you can put in your mouth that look a lot like the Listerine fresh breath strips, but they do something to reduce snoring. I think they work OK, but perhaps not for really loud cases. If your friend's in denial or is defensive, however ... not a good option.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Agree. A bit of a line crossed when someone touches you without consent (barring an emergency situation, of course and snoring not an emergency).
I snore on occasion if I sleep on my back and my head angled a bit upwards on the pillow. I make it a point to sleep on my side, but while on the Camino quite often I am so tired I just fall asleep in whatever body position I am in. One night in an albergue room shared with about six other pilgrims, I began to snore I guess. I remember being shook awoke by a male pilgrim who had his hands on both my shoulders. Seemed like a dream at first until I shook the fog off. He said something to me about snoring and went back to his bed. I was kind of stunned and just lay there for a while before I fell back asleep as of course that being shook awake dumps a bit of adrenaline in your system and takes a bit to relax and sleep again. The next morning as everyone in the room was getting ready, I apologized about my snoring, but told the pilgrim who woke me that he should refrain from doing that, especially to someone he does not know as it can be seen as offensive and intrusive. I would not dare think of doing that.
You’re right. That behavior crosses the line. No uninvited touching!

I'm surprised how many people shift the blame to the snorrer and want to ban them out of communal albergues.

There is no ruling: "people, who are snorring, have to get a private room".

In Hostels it is pretty common, that it's not the one, who snorrs, who needs to leave, but the one, who can't deal with the snorring, who needs to get private rooms.

Snorring is common and should be expected, if people sleep together. I assume, people on the camino are just not used to this experience. Yes, i had awful sleeping nights, but i just dealt with it, there is no way if you sleep in roncesvalles with maybe 80 people that there are no snorrers there.

Get silicone earplugs. They cover the opening, don't go in the ear canal. Work like a charm.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sure. But what if nothing can be done? What if there's no medical basis for the snoring? And why doesn't anyone bring earplugs for themselves since it's on every single Camino packing list out there AND roughly half of the population snores? Those who don't snore get to self-righteously rage and mock the other half that do? Does that really make any progress for anyone? Plus, where is the compassion, oh pilgrims? I can't believe pilgrims were begging albergues to not let another pilgrim (her husband) stay there (and he knew/heard about it? how devastating!). Do not you as a non-snorer/light sleeper have a duty to take care of yourself by having earplugs or earbuds, plus have the duty to not make others feel like $#!+ that they are somehow directly and solely responsible for your comfort?

It feels like every few weeks there's another thread complaining about snorers, and every time the conversations develop the same way.

Buen camino, everyone.
And then there are the people who officiously look at the only man in the room and declare "I hope you don't snore!"--then wake him up with their own snoring. (That lady was not a model of classy behavior in my opinion.)

Everybody snores. It's natural and it's not anything deliberate. People need to chill out. Just because you think you don't make any noise doesn't mean that you don't.

I actually have never found any foam ear plugs that will work in my ears. I now use the silicone ones and they work great, can be molded to fit in the ear and does not require anything in the ear canal. Whatever alternative you use try it out before you go, sleep with them over night to test sound reduction or cancellation and comfort.

Let me be blunt - NO.

I have explained my reasoning many times, more recently in this post
I take the view that albergues are for all pilgrims, and if you are intolerant of what is relatively natural and almost normal behaviour like snoring, it is up to you to resolve the issue by seeking out more private accommodation.
and discussing the use of CPAP machines here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/i-probably-won’t-do-this-again.61999/#post-741233

I am absolutely with you @dougfitz. As someone married to a snorer, the kindest most tolerant man himself, the attitude of some on the camino was plain mean. He became very uncomfortable in albergues and it is one reason he now won't use them.

Disturbances in dormitories are par for the course. Everyone snores from time to time. Everyone gets restless legs from time to time. Everyone tosses and turns from time to time. Everyone farts from time to time. Everyone needs to go to the toilet from time to time.

I get leg cramps if I'm not careful - with a consequential dance and stomp routine.

I wish people would pack "tolerance" and "kindness", along with their toothbrush.

Hi, I am currently on Camino and can say I’ve had no problems with snoring. 1. I use Hearos extreme protection earplugs that I bought online. They are blue foam and mold well into the ear
2. Always exhausted
3. I decided to go with the flow and not worry about the snorers and thus they have been a problem.
If it is though ask for a different room from her. I’m sure she won’t have a problem. I only heard one guy really annoyed about the snoring. Your friend may be exaggerating???? Good luck.

I am a snorer - guilty as charged.
My long suffering wife has worn earplugs every night for the past couple of decades and so she is quite an expert of her own ears. Her advice is definitely to try a wide variety of different ear plugs before settling on your personal favourites.
The shared communal experience was a major part of my Camino pilgrimage. I consider myself shy and have poor small talk. I set myself an objective to meet and speak with a hundred people over my two week trip.
Therefore staying at municipal albergues was important, despite the snoring.
I quickly learned to announce my affliction to fellow travellers and to specifically invite anyone to wake me if (or when) I snore. However, I hadn't thought to carry ear plugs to give away - what a wonderful idea - thank you for the excellent suggestion.
I also tended to wake and leave early - perhaps this was subconsciously to escape recriminations from fellow sleepers (or non-sleepers). However, I was pleasantly surprised by the friends that I made on the journey - including those who had shared albergues with me. Perhaps my humble apologies had won them over.

However, I might have hit on a partial fix for my snoring which involves yet another use of the ubiquitious Buff. I know that my snoring is when I am lying on my back with slack jaw and open mouth. I may fall asleep on my side, but roll over in the night and end up on my back - with noisy consequences. Wearing a Buff in bed, I was able to stretch it under my jaw, over my ears and over the top of my head. This kept my own earplugs in but more important it supported my jaw and kept my mouth closed throughout the night. I only hit on this solution towards the end of my Camino and will hopefully be a better member of the community when I return next year.
Brilliant!

Well, I apologize in advance peeps, I bought a mouth piece thing that helps a little bit and will bring extra ear plugs.

But I do snore like a grizzly bear who had a chainsaw for dinner 😆

Those snoring mouthpieces should not be worn by people with TMJ problems according to the sites that sell them. Something to keep in mind

I rarely weigh in on the snoring threads, but I have just read through this thread and was pretty surprised at the level of emotion here (Thankfully, some of the more insulting ones have been deleted).

Point number one. We all snore, some more, some less, but still.

Point number two. Snoring is involuntary. To insult or to get mad at snorers is like getting mad at people because they are left handed.

Point number three. If you are sleeping in a room with 10-16 people or more, you should expect that there will be snorers. If you don’t like it, get a private room.

Quite a topic. Repeated several times every year. Probably nothing to be done really.....
Personally I don't mind the snorrers. (I think I might even be one myself....😉 yeah I'm probably guilty too).
Regarding the other snorrers I have always said to myself before going to sleep in the dorms that I wouldn't allow myself to be irritated by other pilgrims snorring. That plus ear plugs help because if I allow myself to be irritated - I can't sleep. I know that. Getting irritated has that effect on me. That mental preparedness, exhaustion plus the one or sometimes two beers at the evening meal does the trick for me.
Buen Camino to everyone including the snorrers and early starters....😊

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Take a sleeping tablet... blissful sleep and you won't hear a thing.. wake up refreshed in the morning... and they are available over the counter in Spain!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Point number three. If you are sleeping in a room with 10-16 people or more, you should expect that there will be snorers. If you don’t like it, get a private room.
To give some numbers around what @peregrina2000 means by 'expect', here are the probabilities that there will be at least one snorer in a room. It is based on 40% men and 27% of women being snorers.

PeopleMen onlyWomen only50:50 mix
1099.4%95.7%98.4%
1699.97%99.35%99.86%
So 'expect' at these numbers is something like 'almost certain'. Even with just two men in a room, there is more than 50% probability there will be a snorer.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Feel really sorry for OP’s friend he seems to be a real drama queen.
There are loads of ways of coping with folks snoring.
Can you imagine training for months to complete your Camino then having to share the experience with such a mega moan.
Should we try to use this forum to find his friend and get him a nicer companion?

My preferred method for dealing with snoring, though, is to wear earbuds and listen to a white noise app on my iPhone. I use a buff to keep the earbuds in.
I also use earbuds while sleeping, though I listen to podcasts. I try to choose something that's interesting enough to keep my attention, but not so compelling that it keeps me awake. I find that having something to listen to, is better than trying not to hear something.
I found these earbuds that are very soft and comfortable to wear while sleeping.

Thanks everyone for all of your useful advice.

No thanks to Spikey above who is my Camino buddy. I raised the question after his boyfriend confessed that Spikey's snoring is "off the scale".

My girlfriend has confirmed that I snore so I am going to wear a nose clip to reduce my snoring and get some ear plugs!

Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Baldie Git seems a bit of a fantasist, first it was his friend’s wife now it’s my “boyfriend“ calling out snoring issues.
Hopefully I’ll avoid Walter Mitty when I begin my pilgrimage in Sarria next Friday.
Sympathies to his Girlfriend Pam and good luck to everyone embarking on their camino over next few weeks.

Don't let him drink alcohol.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I agree something a bit creepy about 2 men sharing a room, 2 women would be fine though

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Snorers should take a separate room. Depriving sleep for a room full of people is inconsiderate. Snorers
- one reason I will not be be using the hostels.Same issue in Alpine mountain huts and Appalachian trail shelters but least you can camp outside in those two.

Snorers should take a separate room. Depriving sleep for a room full of people is inconsiderate. Snorers
- one reason I will not be be using the hostels.Same issue in Alpine mountain huts and Appalachian trail shelters but least you can camp outside in those two.
I don't think so. Follow the link below to see my earlier remarks about this:
_________

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Hey Baldie Git. i am with you. Can't sleep a wink with snoring! prior to my first Camino in 2016, i visited a hearing centre (where they make hearing aids), i had custom plugs made for sound. they were a little pricey and just under 100.00 Canadian, but they are my best friends. If you have time, i definitely recommend them. Hope this helps. sweet dreams!

Yup. My Beats earbuds are way more effective than those foam ones. About to put them in now, as even in a hotel you can still here snoring from down the hall, never mind next door.o_O

Non-snorers should take a separate room. All that tutting and sighing can be very disruptive for a normally regular snorer...

... added to which they can entertain themselves when they discover the lies they have told themselves about not being snorers!
Or they could do what I do and walk very quiet routes in winter and most of the time get the albergue all to myself. And then no-one is around to tell you the dreadful truth anyway....

€60,-
Just finished walking the CF then cycling the CP. Never once wore earplugs, to be fair I’ve never worn them in my life. I’m an extremely light sleeper, too. Maybe because I’ve been on call most of my life, I always had to be *alert* to waking up and have never needed an alarm in the morning. On the Camino I slept like a baby log most nites.

I was stunned by the number of people, even young healthy looking ones, who spent hours napping when they got in. A 25K walk isn’t really a superhuman effort. Of course you won’t sleep at nite if you sleep all day! That and avoid caffeine after morning coffee and other people’s snoring will be less of an issue for you. (Firmly in the camp that says if you can’t sleep in a group setting, then don’t stay in the dorms 🙄)

Last edited:
It is impossible to sleep next to a chainsaw so for your protection rent a room in a hotel or in a pension...
Had my own room last night. Still heard the two ladies next door snoring through the wall. Last week in Ferrol someone was in a room down the hall and I could still hear them snoring. If snoring is really a deal breaker, then the Camino might not be for them.

How do you know if others are sleep deprived? There’s a symphony of snoring every night. Most folks just get on with their sleep.

€60,-
I find a good solution, for me, is a few nights in an albergue followed by a night in a private room where hopefully good sleep occurs. This works as a nice compromise between conserving money and preserving sanity.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back