A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Snow in Burgos

0 Euro Camino Bank Note

paleoirish

Miriam
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2019
Snow also on the way into León today and apparently some yesterday although it missed me.

RENSHAW

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2003 CF Roncesvalles to Santiago
2/4 weeks every year on CF reaching Burgos or Leon. Hospitalero San Anton June 2016.
This is what all Inexperienced Pilgrims need to see. One can still get caught out and I know this is not The Napoleon route but it might just as well be. Stick to the roads if you still have to walk.

Bradypus

Antediluvian
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
This is what all Inexperienced Pilgrims need to see. One can still get caught out and I know this is not The Napoleon route but it might just as well be. Stick to the roads if you still have to walk.
A story today on a couple of Navarra websites. Korean pilgrim rescued by the local bomberos yesterday after getting lost and suffering from hypothermia on the Route Napoleon. Just because Camino routes are officially "open" that does not mean that it is necessarily safe to walk without adequate preparation and careful judgment.

http://www.navarrainformacion.es/2019/04/23/rescatada-una-peregrina-desorientada-en-las-inmediaciones-de-lepoeder/?fbclid=IwAR2BfIBj4NIzGwhu-KGmdUF6qoeottCKAP_-otfRYrCYwp-nqsOG9dKLpgo

david1

Camino(s) past & future
Paris to Santiago de Compostela
I'm 20km ish from Burgos.. definitely potential hyperthermia weather for the less prepared. And so is sitting around in wet gear once in your albergue, don't forget to shower and change straight away. I've seen peeps get hypothermia like this in my army days.

Happy rambler

Camino(s) past & future
Walked Camino Francais April 2015. Planning the same route starting March/April 2019
Walked from Atapuerca to Burgos today through constant heavy freezing rain and snow. It’s still only 6 degrees, 2 when we started. Lots of pilgrims taking the bus and taxis, they just didn’t have the wet weather gear.

Glenshiro

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy - León, Camino Frances (2012 - 2019)
In Villavilla de Burgos. No snow, but occasional very heavy rain. Invested 2 euros in a hat.
People from warm countries - stay indoors and wait for it to pass.
People from northern climes - you'll need your coat.
(This does not apply to the Route Napoleon - take local advice.)

dgallen

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (5), Portuguese, Norte, Primitivo(2), Aragones, Finisterre/Muxia (3), Camino del Rey
Rain, sleet, snow and high winds yesterday through the mountain pass at Acebo where you cross from Asturias into Galacia on the Primitivo. Snow this morning in Fonsgrada. Temp just above freezing. Tomorrow though and through next week temperatures in high teens and sun. Camino in April 😊

gerip

Camino(s) past & future
CF, Lourdes to Burgos, Oct 2018
CF, Burgos to Santiago, May 2019
Ingles, Sep - Oct 2019
Guess this answers my question as to whether I should wear my cold weather boots or not. Arriving in Burgos 1st May.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
Guess this answers my question as to whether I should wear my cold weather boots or not. Arriving in Burgos 1st May.
It's April. At this time of year, that kind of thing comes and goes. And by May 1 it could be hot for all we know right now - and then you'd be lugging those boots around, @gerip. If it were me, I'd leave them home. But that's one person's opinion, so TIFWIW.

Boatman

Camino(s) past & future
I'm a newbie.....
Arriving in Burgos on May 2nd to walk to Leon. The weather weather forecast looks ok, what it like there now? Not planning to bring heavy clothes. If my clothes are wrong, I will buy new closes in Burgos.

mikebet

Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP to Pamplona (2016); Baiona to Santiago (2018); Sarria to Santiago (2018)
On April 25 snowing around A Gudina on the Sanabres/VDLP. Luckily we saw it from the train on the way to starting at Ourense. Saw a newspaper headline saying that this past April was the rainiest since the 60s. Pouring rain when we got to Ourense, but unbelievably the sun came out the next morning when we started and the weather stayed perfect all the way to Santiago. It's better to be lucky than a good planner, it seems.

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
Martyduc Weather 0
alansykes Weather 6
Vacajoe Weather 11
Dave C. Weather 22
biarritzdon Weather 24

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 165 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 265 24.4%