• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Snowing in Burgos

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
rather a silly remark, sorry to say. The OP informs us that it currently snows in Spain, rather unusual after a very balmy commencing of spring, and useful information for those to start their Camino these days,
thanks, @Gregory Stegman
Thanks for that. The Camino throws up so many unexpected challenges and it’s so important to be prepared for all situations. I packed waterproof gloves, woollen beanie and extra socks just in case I experienced cold weather. This preplanning certainly has come in handy. I’ve walked four Caminos and each one presented a different challenge.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
you call that snowing? come to Canada and see what snowing is.
Can we have a picture please @nathanael? Purely for comparisons sake of course! 😄
I live in Tasmania & even down here, snow seems to becoming less of an occurrence. Also having lived in Brisy for many years, I understand the novelty @Gregory Stegman.
rather a silly remark, Spain is not Canada.....
@pepi,
@nathanael was only having a joke...it's all relative & I'm certain was not intended to deride the OP!
👣 🌏

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I leave tomorrow, but won't start my walk until roughly the 9th/10th. How likely that these unique, albeit lovely conditions will continue?
I currently have wool leggings, wool t-shirt, down vest, light synthetic jacket, and light Black Diamond stretch rain shell. Fleece ear band and good gloves. Gor-tex La Sportiva trail runners and poles.
can someone weigh in on whether I'm over or under dressed? Bear in mind I'm from Hawaii 🥶😆

rather a silly remark, Spain is not Canada..... The OP informs us that it currently snows in Spain, rather unusual after a very balmy commencing of spring, and useful information for those to start their Camino these days,
thanks, @Gregory Stegman
I think he was just making a very little joke. We should lighten up a little. Just like that snow!

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I leave tomorrow, but won't start my walk until roughly the 9th/10th. How likely that these unique, albeit lovely conditions will continue?
I currently have wool leggings, wool t-shirt, down vest, light synthetic jacket, and light Black Diamond stretch rain shell. Fleece ear band and good gloves. Gor-tex La Sportiva trail runners and poles.
can someone weigh in on whether I'm over or under dressed? Bear in mind I'm from Hawaii 🥶😆
We’ve seen the worse of the cold front. By the time you commence it will be perfect walking conditions. However nights are still cold but most places will give you an extra blanket.

Bear in mind I'm from Hawaii
Hard to know because everyone's thermostat and comfort zone are different. But remember you'll be walking. Being from Hawai'i snd having walked in March and Aoril 3 times (with the occasional snowy fun), what I found most important were the vest, a beanie, snd decent gloves. You should be OK, maybe even a tad too toasty.

Hard to know because everyone's thermostat and comfort zone are different. But remember you'll be walking. Being from Hawai'i snd having walked in March and Aoril 3 times (with the occasional snowy fun), what I found most important were the vest, a beanie, snd decent gloves. You should be OK, maybe even a tad too toasty.
Thank you, I always am grateful for the shared understanding.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Take it as you find it! It is not a desert, as so many times has been said. You will be just fine. If you are too cold, take a taxi to Decathlon. That will sort you out. Have the best time!

Lots of places warmed up last week only to drop temps the last few days.
We were in Hontanas last night and experienced similar snow with lots of wind - it was cold. This morning snow on the ground from last night and -1c at 8:45am.
From Canada as well where we have roof rakes to clear snow from our roofs.
Make sure you have clothes that are wind proof for the meseta.

Take it as you find it! It is not a desert, as so many times has been said. You will be just fine. If you are too cold, take a taxi to Decathlon. That will sort you out. Have the best time!
Two answers in and I feel much more settled. Literally last minute packing panic at work, lol! Thank you 🙃

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Lots of places warmed up last week only to drop temps the last few days.
We were in Hontanas last night and experienced similar snow with lots of wind - it was cold. This morning snow on the ground from last night and -1c at 8:45am.
From Canada as well where we have roof rakes to clear snow from our roofs.
Make sure you have clothes that are wind proof for the meseta.
Does my rain gear qualify in this regard?

A few years ago in Burgos we had snow in MID MAY….
Luckily we just happened to be staying around the corner from one of those bazaar shops which sell everything under the sun!(no pun intended)
Bought hats, gloves, thermal tops, even umbrellas
we were like “bugs in a rug” walking in some beautiful scenery as the fields were covered in snow
Another Camino in MAY we walked in a heatwave
“A boy scout is always prepared” as they say…but sometimes not!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We leave SJPdP on April 12th. I've gotten my pack weight down to 12 pounds total. i'm very excited about this! On our 2018 camino my pack was 24#. With my limited experience I would suggest you bring the absolute minimum and focus on the pack weight rather than comfort level of the clothing you are wearing. You won't freeze to death (after the Pyranees section, anyway!) and can always purchase what you need on the go.

We leave SJPdP on April 12th. I've gotten my pack weight down to 12 pounds total. i'm very excited about this! On our 2018 camino my pack was 24#. With my limited experience I would suggest you bring the absolute minimum and focus on the pack weight rather than comfort level of the clothing you are wearing. You won't freeze to death (after the Pyranees section, anyway!) and can always purchase what you need on the go.
Buen Camino to you!

You’ll be fine when you’re walking with a bit of insulation under a wind proof (waterproof) layer. I’m in that area now and was wearing shorts until today. The afternoon was lovely sunshine. It’s the ‘walking round town’ in the evenings when I feel the cold.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Everybody is different. When walking I usually warm up after walking a mile, by the time 2 miles are done in below freeing weather my gloves and hood are off with only a light runners cap for the bald spot and my jacket and fleece hoodie are partially unzipped. But in the evenings when I'm not moving I like an extra layer if I'm outside.

I have an extremely light weight rain jacket that is also windproof. No pit zips so it does keep the heat in a little too much at times.
Some people are wearing toques but I just have a couple of head bands - one for over my ears and one around my neck. My gloves are just thin dollar store gloves and do the trick but I have to take them off to take pics. I do wear a baseball hat to help keep the rainhood from falling too low. Also good for keeping rain off my glasses.
Hopefully things warm up because the heat is getting turned off at night and clothing that was perfectly dry at night is damp in the morning.
I am appreciating the cold because the mud is frozen and we haven't had to put on our ponchos or stuff our shoes with newspaper - yet.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
rather a silly remark, Spain is not Canada..... The OP informs us that it currently snows in Spain, rather unusual after a very balmy commencing of spring, and useful information for those to start their Camino these days,
thanks, @Gregory Stegman
Well, you thought it a silly remark… I thought it was funny. 🙂
We have the same ‘discussions’ in UK between North and South and also in France, again between North and South 😁
This is Northern Spain after all, not Andalucia… Not unusual to have cold spells. Last year, in June, I regretted not having brought gloves as it was soooo cold! Anyway, buen Camino to all 🙂

Everybody is different. When walking I usually warm up after walking a mile, by the time 2 miles are done in below freeing weather my gloves and hood are off with only a light runners cap for the bald spot and my jacket and fleece hoodie are partially unzipped. But in the evenings when I'm not moving I like an extra layer if I'm outside.
Makes total sense. I just bought some lightweight gaiters and leaving it at that :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.