• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Snowing in Santiago this morning

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Snow...you call THAT snow! Talk to us when you have 50 cm or more. THAT is snow! I recently returned from visiting Toronto, Canada. They had about 10 cm on the ground while I was there, and they get another couple of cm almost every day. As it is typically -6 (C) or so at this time of year, the snow usually does not melt and accumulates. I was glad to get home to Virginia.

Of course, and all snarky remarks aside, for a place like Santiago, any snow is significant as it likely does not occur often. I imagine the local media is going bonkers over-hyping the effects of the storm. Can you imagine a news caster trying to use a metric ruler to "measure" the snowfall? That makes me smile.

Then again, today is a miserable day to be on Camino. It is cold, raw, rainy, and wet, with amply MUD! I HATE mud! Suck it up pilgrims...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I don't think you see that often Ivar, EH![/QUOTl
Living the dream in Toronto! 30 centimeters has fallen so far. no snow falling right now... but more due starting Thursday and right through to Monday!
But the windsurfers are still out on the lake doing their thing. We are a hearty bunch. Well those guys are... I am sitting inside playing on the computer, looking at pictures of warm places, and drinking hot chocolate!
images
snowcommute.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
oops... forgot to type...
for a split second there robert, I thought that the surf in your picture was ice chunks and the koala was snow. All neurons were firing trying to figure that out!! My son is in New Zealand right now and is telling me it is wickedly hot. I guess it is kind of smug to be calling what we do on lake ontario "surfing" ... even if it is wind propelled!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
....now here' s an urban snow experience for you...
Yup, Montreal. But even this picture is nothing compared to what we can get. Mind you, we haven't gotten half as much as New England this year, and perhaps last year. Montreal is at the bottom of the Jet Stream, plus we get what is coming up the US Coast. (Hence the reason I will not retire here but put my Spanish passport to good use when the time comes!) But at least we are equiped for it, and Santiago residents are certainly not equipped for these slippery roads. Like people in Toronto and even NYC. But NYC has the sense to close the city to avoid mahem.

Lise T, better qualify that "unbelievable hot" or we'll be getting the same treatment as Ivar re his "snow". It's been up to 29 degrees for a few days in a row and has been consistently over 25 for weeks. That IS "unbelievable hot" for us Kiwis! The 40 degrees we experienced in Spain was on a different scale altogether!
Nice snow Ivar! It snowed here in our city a couple of winters back - fr the first time in living memory. Less snow than your video shows, but shopping malls and office blocks emptied as people ran outside to watch!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Cold @ivar - I can offer you a bed in warmer climes if you feel like a plane trip. Would love to return the hospitality and I'm sure I'm not the only one

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
As a winter/spring peregrino, I've copped the odd cold one. A damp May day in the Armagnac on the Chemin du Puy was one of the worst, but May 2010 was pretty notorious for the whole Camino.

The next year when I continued from Pamplona in winter there was a real freeze: no wind, cloud or snow, just low, low temps which made it impossible to slow down without chilling in minutes. Memorable, for sure. Surprisingly, the perfectly clear weather made it quite safe for those crossing the Pyrenees behind me.

But the Aubrac still takes the cake for weather. This was how I started April Fool's Day in 2010:
throughhard.jpg

I'd like to say I gritted my teeth and strode forth. But I actually set a record for late departure (11.30 in France!) and whimpered all the way to Nasbinals.

Cold @ivar - I can offer you a bed in warmer climes if you feel like a plane trip. Would love to return the hospitality and I'm sure I'm not the only one

Count me in as a host! You could end up with quite the trip Ivar!!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Snow...you call THAT snow! Talk to us when you have 50 cm or more. THAT is snow! I recently returned from visiting Toronto, Canada. They had about 10 cm on the ground while I was there, and they get another couple of cm almost every day. As it is typically -6 (C) or so at this time of year, the snow usually does not melt and accumulates. I was glad to get home to Virginia.

Of course, and all snarky remarks aside, for a place like Santiago, any snow is significant as it likely does not occur often. I imagine the local media is going bonkers over-hyping the effects of the storm. Can you imagine a news caster trying to use a metric ruler to "measure" the snowfall? That makes me smile.

Then again, today is a miserable day to be on Camino. It is cold, raw, rainy, and wet, with amply MUD! I HATE mud! Suck it up pilgrims...
Yeah, well. If only TO bothered to get equiped with basic snow removal equipment, and avoid calling the National Guard. 10 cm here is random snow. We start paying attention at 20 cm or so. And some neighbourhoods can't be bothere with snow removal before they get 20 cm at once

But if you don't have the right tires or removal equipment it can be a problem, with much lesser accumulations and be dangerous.

It is a beautiful day at the beach in Santa Monica, California. Sunny and a balmy 72f.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There is a reality program on UK television Don, where two families with very different lifestyles swap children for a week. Forget the kids. How about I swap with you for a year? That way I get oodles of time in the sun! As I'm sure that you will give this suggestion serious thought I would be especially agreeable to a slight adjustment to the end of March as the start of the Biarritz part. Thanks in advance for considering it. :)

There is a reality program on UK television Don, where two families with very different lifestyles swap children for a week. Forget the kids. How about I swap with you for a year? That way I get oodles of time in the sun! As I'm sure that you will give this suggestion serious thought I would be especially agreeable to a slight adjustment to the end of March as the start of the Biarritz part. Thanks in advance for considering it. :)

Al, I love you like a long lost brother but I have no desire to move to your inhospitable island climes. Thanks for your offer but I regrettably have to decline unless, of course, you are the owner of a pub in Wolverhampton.
BTW, the reason for my return to Biarritz in February is because my resident visa expire every 1 March, if only someone had told me I could have scheduled that differently.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The love in is mutual Don and it was an optimistic punt even for me. :) Anyway you would have had to spend most of your time looking after my Mother for me so you wouldn't get to the pub that often ! Sorry but I don't own a pub. However my daughter lives in one so I have all the benefits without the work! :) Enjoy the good weather while you can.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...
Hello, What time does the office close in Santiago today? The website lists different times in different places.
Hi my name is Bren I have started a daily AA English speaking meeting At 3Rua da Porta da Pena Casa Anglicana 6-7pm daily. Spread the word
Hello, so my plans have slightly changed after completing the Coastal Portuguese and Finisterre/Muxia caminos on June 13. I now have 2 extra days in Santiago and was wondering where I should head...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.