• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

So my wife say's to me ...

DeadFred

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
St Jean-Los Arcos ,Sept, Oct 14'
Los Arcos - Logrono-May16'
Next Logrono to ? - Sept 2019
You know I can't sleep past 4:00 am so we will have to start walking early

Me: It's to dark out , we will get lost or walk off a cliff beside we don't want to wake up everyone trying to exit
She: I'm suppose to lay awake in bed until it's time to go?
Me: Maybe you will be so exhausted from walking that I will have to shake you to wake you
She : ya right .. I doubt it.!
Me: Well... This is a situation I don't know how to resolve , better rethink this over some . The only other option is to go and see what happens .. let the day & night take it course.
She: Silence. ( like in "pondering" silence.)

Every get into a situation like that? ... btw She takes sleeping pills like our grandkids take M&M's( almost)

Joe

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I used to wake up early (4:30 - 5:00) before I walked. One morning, in a private albergue, I slept until 8! Try it!

You know I can't sleep past 4:00 am so we will have to start walking early

Me: It's to dark out , we will get lost or walk off a cliff beside we don't want to wake up everyone trying to exit
She: I'm suppose to lay awake in bed until it's time to go?
Me: Maybe you will be so exhausted from walking that I will have to shake you to wake you
She : ya right .. I doubt it.!
Me: Well... This is a situation I don't know how to resolve , better rethink this over some . The only other option is to go and see what happens .. let the day & night take it course.
She: Silence. ( like in "pondering" silence.)

Every get into a situation like that? ... btw She takes sleeping pills like our grandkids take M&M's( almost)

Joe
I find it interesting, my wife can walk faster longer these days (we are in our 50's). Do you also find it is getting harder to keep up with your wife? I think it is just the age clock as they use to keep up with us... :) That or Ill simply blame it on the beer. In any case I think your stuck walking in the dark.
Keith

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Maybe she could take a book to read and get up, dressed, then quietly read outside until you're up?
Frankly, if you're staying in an albergue, you won't sleep much past 5 anyway.
There are always early risers up, rattling those plastic bags and shining their headlamps in your eyes.

I find it interesting, my wife can walk faster longer these days (we are in our 50's). Do you also find it is getting harder to keep up with your wife? I think it is just the age clock as they use to keep up with us... :) That or Ill simply blame it on the beer. In any case I think your stuck walking in the dark.
Keith

I think your right Keith about walking in the dark , we shall see. Harder to keep up with my wife?. Absolutely, She's 12 yrs younger than me and a retired P.E Teacher. I toe the line , but I get to walk at my pace :) .. It's a tortise /hare scenero

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Maybe she could take a book to read and get up, dressed, then quietly read outside until you're up?
Frankly, if you're staying in an albergue, you won't sleep much past 5 anyway.
There are always early risers up, rattling those plastic bags and shining their headlamps in your eyes.

5:00 am ... That's an hour difference , That's doable as I get up at 5:45 am now , So I can be one of those dastardly people Klunking around waking folks up ... hmm,,, that's actually distressing . I think we can make it work . Thanks Annie

Joe

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think the book idea is great. My Nook is backlit and works great for situations where you are awake, but can't or don't want to actually get up yet. I wake up before dawn when we camp, and it comes in very handy. I just read in my sleeping bag until it is light enough to get up.

O.M.G, just let people sleep! If you're awake and your significant other is not. LET HIM/HER SLEEP. Do something quiet and stop imposing your will.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Can't sleep through the night? Stumble through the dark trying to find the toilet 2 or three times a night? There is no cure and it doesn't get better. Alas, age teaches us humility.

I never set an alarm clock at my camino and just let nature decide when it's time to wake up (or noisy pilgrims). When I wake up after 8, seems like that's a sign from my body I need the sleep, and you can't have an argument with your own body. And often enough I still woke up at 4 or 5AM and could start walking when it was still dark. But I always walked much better when well rested.

O.M.G, just let people sleep! If you're awake and your significant other is not. LET HIM/HER SLEEP. Do something quiet and stop imposing your will.

Actually , after 35 years of marriage we each in our way appreciate the others issues and problem solve to achieve a remedy . She would never impose her will on anyone plainlost .. only state a situation that needs to be discussed and resolved. Same with me . It''s gonna work , we just need to hash it out and move on.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
we each in our way appreciate the others issues and problem solve to achieve a remedy . She would never impose her will on anyone plainlost .. only state a situation that needs to be discussed and resolved.

That's pretty much how we do it too. My husband and I have only been married for 12 years (we reached the 12 year mark just last weekend actually), but that approach is working well so far. We figure that the sooner we resolve any issues that come up, the sooner we can get back to having fun :)

Hmm. Now I understand you are walking mid September and I am walking early September. Í think you mentioned you hold the World Championship Snorer title, and now you're indicating your wife is the World's Earliest Riser! (Might be something to do with the snoring, but we won't mention that). I rather visualised myself as a tortoise with a backpack, but now, in fear of you catching up and sharing an albergue, I think I might resemble the Roadrunner.... :eek:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Actually , after 35 years of marriage we each in our way appreciate the others issues and problem solve to achieve a remedy . She would never impose her will on anyone plainlost .. only state a situation that needs to be discussed and resolved. Same with me . It''s gonna work , we just need to hash it out and move on.

We've been married 20+ years and I completely agree that when problems arise, as a couple we need to figure them out together. I believe IMHO, that sleeping early/late is NOT a problem the couple needs to "hash it out." Again, I say LET HIM/HER SLEEP! Peace will reign in the kingdom (AND IN THE ALBERGUE).. :)

Hmm. Now I understand you are walking mid September and I am walking early September. Í think you mentioned you hold the World Championship Snorer title, and now you're indicating your wife is the World's Earliest Riser! (Might be something to do with the snoring, but we won't mention that). I rather visualised myself as a tortoise with a backpack, but now, in fear of you catching up and sharing an albergue, I think I might resemble the Roadrunner.... :eek:

Ha! ... Run Kiwi-d! actually , fear thee not , I use a CPAP so I no longer snore,,, I hummmmmmm

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My wife and I have a simple rule when I comes to the camino.

Since I am an early riser, then I should head out on my own first, and let her sleep, and she can follow later.

On the camino Frances it rarely a problem. Sooner or later we will cross paths before the day it over, before we have arrived at the next destination.

€46,-
... btw She takes sleeping pills like our grandkids take M&M's( almost)

That might be actually part of the problem, if she takes so many since quite some time her sleeping problems might be actually now be caused by the sleeping pills. Depending on what kind of pills she takes obviously. Buen Camino! SY

Most read last week in this forum

Now it's done, and I'm showered, fed and generally numbed with alcohol, it was great. Fortunately, the weather was cool all day, the rain held off and the terrain was rolling countryside. But...
Hi Forum! Just to reassure those starting now and the next week, but I was in Roncesvalles last night and, though full and busy, I talked to the hospitalero who told me, there were still 27 empty...
Walking the Camino Frances, since the 16th there has been a lot of mud on the trail but doable until today on the way to Pamplona! It got very difficult with the mud on the pass high up beside...
I started out from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on 1 May. It turned out to be an unforgetable day. Above 1,000 m or so it snowed, catching many people unprepared. Later that day "many" walkers were...
I'm flying from the USA to start my Camino this week. I will check my backpack, and to protect it, I will ship it in a plastic storage bin like this one: Rather than shipping the storage bin to...
Just after 9am this morning I turned the last corner of the Camino Frances and stood in front of the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela!! It's been 33 days since I left Saint Jean Pied de Port...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back