• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Some advice . . .

ladywalker#1

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2014
hello again. I'm planning to do el Camino this June. Will I need to bring anything for cold weather? i.e. Fleece or warmer, long pants etc. also, should I get the correct currency in the states before i leave or when I arrive in stdpp? If so, how much should I start out with. I plan to bring a debit and a credit card with me. Any advice on clothes for evenings after shower and before bedtime. I don't want to carry a lot and I'm just interested in the essentials. I'm a 57 year old female making the trip solo if anyone has advice for that particular traveling situation. I'm so excited but a little nervous. Gracias!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It will be chilly at higher elevations, so have layers that you can add. Convertible pants give you the option to add legs if you need them. You can get Euros on arrival at the airport or the nearest major bank, so you do not need to stock up before you go. Be sure you have a four digit PIN, and inform your bank and credit card company of your travel plans. After showering you can put on the clothes for the next day. Nothing special is needed in the evening.

Buen camino.

It will be chilly at higher elevations, so have layers that you can add. Convertible pants give you the option to add legs if you need them. You can get Euros on arrival at the airport or the nearest major bank, so you do not need to stock up before you go. Be sure you have a four digit PIN, and inform your bank and credit card company of your travel plans. After showering you can put on the clothes for the next day. Nothing special is needed in the evening.

Buen camino.
Muchas gracias! That's helpful.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What @falcon269 said plus:

Get your pilgrims passport beforehand, just one less thing to worry about and in June the queue in the pilgrims office in SJPDP can be quite long.
Reserve your bed in SJPDP beforehand, one less thing to worry about. Consider breaking the first stage up in Orisson (needs reservation also).
Make sure you are well rested from jet lag ect before attempting to cross the Pyrenees, it is strenous enough without jet lag.
Take it easy the first few days unless your body could better used to the exercise.
Plan in enough time, allowing for rest days.
Don't worry about being a woman walking alone, there are plenty of those around on the Camino ;-)

Hope that helps and Buen Camino! SY

hello again. I'm planning to do el Camino this June. Will I need to bring anything for cold weather? i.e. Fleece or warmer, long pants etc. also, should I get the correct currency in the states before i leave or when I arrive in stdpp? If so, how much should I start out with. I plan to bring a debit and a credit card with me. Any advice on clothes for evenings after shower and before bedtime. I don't want to carry a lot and I'm just interested in the essentials. I'm a 57 year old female making the trip solo if anyone has advice for that particular traveling situation. I'm so excited but a little nervous. Gracias!!!

I would get some euros in the states just so you don't have to go hunting for an ATM right after your flight, and in case you have issues with your credit or debit cards. How much? I brought 150 euros with me. Also, get some change, about 10 euros worth. Go get half in 1's and the other in 2's. Many vending machines don't take paper money.

Clothing all depends on how hot or cold you run. You won't need winter clothes.

As far as being a 57 year old female walking solo? I will give you the same advice I give everyone. Just have fun! Age will not matter. You'll meet folks of all ages. Some younger people might see you as mature and and older people will see you as still being just a kid! Be friendly and open to everyone and you'll be just fine!

I would get some euros in the states just so you don't have to go hunting for an ATM right after your flight

Actually this is hard to do and will cost you a lot more than just stopping at the ATM at the airport when you get there. The last time I tried to do this, several years ago, my bank (one of the two biggest in the US, not a small local outfit) told me they'd have to order euros and there would have been a whopping fee added.

EDIT Two more things: the exchange bureaus in the airports charge rates that usually work out to much more than even foreign ATM + fee. Also, in any airport I've been in in Europe (haven't been in Madrid in many years, but definitely true for Charles de Gaulle) there are ATMs right after you come through passport control, so no hunting.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Logistics:

Do plan to stay at least one night in St. Jean Pied de Port. It is a marvelous town and worthy of a full day's sightseeing. It also helps you over jet-lag and helps to get you prepared for the coming challenge. There are enough small hotels to accommodate you.

Age Issues:

Youth is wasted on the young. I did my first Camino in 2013, at age 59, to arrive in Santiago de Compostela to commemorate my 60th birthday. Then I went back and did it again in 2014. I will do my third and maybe fourth Caminos on a different route later this year. As long as you are in reasonably good health and can walk trails and country roads, you can and should do this. It is a good thing.

Money Stuff:

Use the airport ATM on arrival. Just make sure that your ATM card uses a FOUR-DIGIT PIN. Also, make sure that you notified your bank and credit card management company (e.g. bank), that you will be traveling in France and Spain from (date) to (date).

Otherwise, your credit card will be blocked and denied, and your ATM card could get eaten by a cash machine. It DOES happen. Always have at least two methods of obtaining cash from the machines in the wall. As a last-ditch, emergency measure, there are Western Union facilities in most larger towns and cities. Someone back home could wire you money. But simply planning ahead will solve the issue.

Along the Camino there are three forms of payment commonly in use: CASH, Visa, and Mastercard. Cash rules, and is preferred in all small towns and villages. Tax avoidance is the second national sport, after football, in most of Europe.

Forget other credit cards as a general rule. Also, if it is offered where you live, see if your bank, credit union, etc, offers a prepaid Visa or Mastercard debit card with an IC chip on it. I have one of these chipped debit cards through my US credit union (a Visa card). It can be refilled remotely by going online and simply moving money from my checking account to the debit card. I can even do this transfer by touch-tone phone if I have to.

This is how most transactions are handled across Europe. You insert the chip end of the debit card to a payment device in a store then enter your PIN when prompted. Debit cards without IC chips DO NOT work this way.

Debit cards with chips can be used to get money from a cash machine or to make a purchase. Debit cards without the chip can only be used to get cash from a machine.

I bring my US ATM card, a second US issued ATM card with a chip, and I maintain a small current (checking) account in a European bank so I have another debit card with a chip. Usually, I carry one credit card, but very rarely use it. Then again, I usually over-prepare... I don't like unpleasant surprises.

I hope this helps.

Hello Ladywalk - I walked solo in September and finished with folks that I hope will be friends for a lifetime... it certainly feels like I've known them all my life. In Santiago it felt like there were friends on every corner... you really wont be alone.

It was very hot in September but we walked into cooler weather but you'll be walking into summer. One of the best things I took (after advice here) was a sarong. I wore it as a skirt, used it as a wrap in town, a scarf when it was cold, a blanket, a picnic blanket and towel and a pillow case... it's a fab addition to your pack and means you can wear it with a t-shirt in the evening. It dries quickly and it's very light.

I wore long trousers but that was my preference - lots of girls wearing shorts or capri length pants. I had a vest t-shirt and 2 technical t-shirts and a fleece... it was a good combination for me.

Also, I was desperate to get my pack weight down before I started and it's a good discipline but I did regret not taking a few personal items and ended up buying moisteriser, perfume, lip gloss and nail polish. Only small things but it made such a difference after a long hot day.

And... Vicks is the best thing for feet. It works like vasoline to help prevent friction and blisters but it smells lovely and your feet feel so refreshed when you put it on.

Finally - I took a few of those mineral replacement powders that cyclists often use... if you're sweating a lot it's useful to drink it with your water.

Have an amazing trip!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Don't worry about going solo. Most of the people that i knew that were solo were embraced very shortly by a Camino family(other pilgrims). Everybody watches out for everybody else. One day while walking on the Camino my husband was feeling ill from something he had eat and got sick. We had run out of water maybe 3km before the town. A piligrim came up to us and gave us all his water! it was quite a gift and all my husband needed to get better. This just one act of kindness out of many that we experienced on the Camino. We still have friends that we walked with on the Camino to this day.
I would take a fleece at least.

Hello. In June, you do not need warm clothes.
Only a fleece pullover for dawn.
It is important to wear waterproof.
Do not forget a hat. But an umbrella is great for rain and especially to the sun. On sunny days an umbrella is better than a hat. that's my experience.
Clothing the minimum. you can wash everyday road dust. will dry very quickly.
Buen Camino.

I'm in complete agreement that ATMs are the most economical for obtaining local currency. That said, I don't go anywhere without cash and I just consider the fee as one more cost of travel. It's worth the extra expense to me for the peace of mind of being prepared. Obviously it's not worth it to everyone and that's OK.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What @falcon269 said plus:

Get your pilgrims passport beforehand, just one less thing to worry about and in June the queue in the pilgrims office in SJPDP can be quite long.
Reserve your bed in SJPDP beforehand, one less thing to worry about. Consider breaking the first stage up in Orisson (needs reservation also).
Make sure you are well rested from jet lag ect before attempting to cross the Pyrenees, it is strenous enough without jet lag.
Take it easy the first few days unless your body could better used to the exercise.
Plan in enough time, allowing for rest days.
Don't worry about being a woman walking alone, there are plenty of those around on the Camino ;-)

Hope that helps and Buen Camino! SY
Gracias, this is very helpful especially about what to get done beforehand. I appreciate it!

I would get some euros in the states just so you don't have to go hunting for an ATM right after your flight, and in case you have issues with your credit or debit cards. How much? I brought 150 euros with me. Also, get some change, about 10 euros worth. Go get half in 1's and the other in 2's. Many vending machines don't take paper money.

Clothing all depends on how hot or cold you run. You won't need winter clothes.

As far as being a 57 year old female walking solo? I will give you the same advice I give everyone. Just have fun! Age will not matter. You'll meet folks of all ages. Some younger people might see you as mature and and older people will see you as still being just a kid! Be friendly and open to everyone and you'll be just fine!
Thank you so much jeffnd! I grow less worried every day. I can't wait to book my flight then it will be real. I'm hoping the price will come down a bit on the weekdays and plan to book it this week.

Actually this is hard to do and will cost you a lot more than just stopping at the ATM at the airport when you get there. The last time I tried to do this, several years ago, my bank (one of the two biggest in the US, not a small local outfit) told me they'd have to order euros and there would have been a whopping fee added.

EDIT Two more things: the exchange bureaus in the airports charge rates that usually work out to much more than even foreign ATM + fee. Also, in any airport I've been in in Europe (haven't been in Madrid in many years, but definitely true for Charles de Gaulle) there are ATMs right after you come through passport control, so no hunting.
Thanks for that. I will definitely take into consideration.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Two years ago it snowed over the pass in June.
I about froze in June in Santo Domingo del Calzada, so the weather cannot be predicted.

That said, I'd bring layers - like suggested. No heavy coat, just a fleece and windbreaker/raincoat.

I personally don't bother getting euros before I get to Spain.
There are many ATMs at the airport, and they are on nearly every floor.
Just ask one of the nice airport helpers dressed in green to direct you.

Clothes for evening? Just your pilgrim clothes.
I usually put on "tomorrow's clothes" after my shower.

Be sure and have an ATM with a four-NUMERAL pincode. No letters.
Mine is Charles Schwab - they reimburse me ALL fees at the end of each month.

Be sure to CALL YOUR BANK before you leave to tell them you will be in Spain so your ATM card doesn't get frozen.

Book your lodging in SJPP and Orisson - it will be crowded in June.

Have fun!

Met and walked with a number of solo ladies from an 18 year old Bavarian girl to young women to one in her 60s, from all over the world. They were all having a great time with no problems. As to temperatures, layers that you can quickly take off as the sun comes up, it can be slightly cool in the early morning. Money? my bank card is stowed away safely and credit cards are left behind and replaced with a prepaid card that can be used anywhere you can use a credit or debit card. Check out current exchange rates. The euro is at its weakest in a long time against sterling so may also have a good rate against the dollar. It is about ten weeks before I go but have all my euro already. And dont worry about the nerves, this will be my third time on the Camino and I am terrified about crossing the Pyrenees but once you start walking it all disappears, Buen Camino

Logistics:

Do plan to stay at least one night in St. Jean Pied de Port. It is a marvelous town and worthy of a full day's sightseeing. It also helps you over jet-lag and helps to get you prepared for the coming challenge. There are enough small hotels to accommodate you.

Age Issues:

Youth is wasted on the young. I did my first Camino in 2013, at age 59, to arrive in Santiago de Compostela to commemorate my 60th birthday. Then I went back and did it again in 2014. I will do my third and maybe fourth Caminos on a different route later this year. As long as you are in reasonably good health and can walk trails and country roads, you can and should do this. It is a good thing.

Money Stuff:

Use the airport ATM on arrival. Just make sure that your ATM card uses a FOUR-DIGIT PIN. Also, make sure that you notified your bank and credit card management company (e.g. bank), that you will be traveling in France and Spain from (date) to (date).

Otherwise, your credit card will be blocked and denied, and your ATM card could get eaten by a cash machine. It DOES happen. Always have at least two methods of obtaining cash from the machines in the wall. As a last-ditch, emergency measure, there are Western Union facilities in most larger towns and cities. Someone back home could wire you money. But simply planning ahead will solve the issue.

Along the Camino there are three forms of payment commonly in use: CASH, Visa, and Mastercard. Cash rules, and is preferred in all small towns and villages. Tax avoidance is the second national sport, after football, in most of Europe.

Forget other credit cards as a general rule. Also, if it is offered where you live, see if your bank, credit union, etc, offers a prepaid Visa or Mastercard debit card with an IC chip on it. I have one of these chipped debit cards through my US credit union (a Visa card). It can be refilled remotely by going online and simply moving money from my checking account to the debit card. I can even do this transfer by touch-tone phone if I have to.

This is how most transactions are handled across Europe. You insert the chip end of the debit card to a payment device in a store then enter your PIN when prompted. Debit cards without IC chips DO NOT work this way.

Debit cards with chips can be used to get money from a cash machine or to make a purchase. Debit cards without the chip can only be used to get cash from a machine.

I bring my US ATM card, a second US issued ATM card with a chip, and I maintain a small current (checking) account in a European bank so I have another debit card with a chip. Usually, I carry one credit card, but very rarely use it. Then again, I usually over-prepare... I don't like unpleasant surprises.

I hope this helps.
Thank you Tom! This helps a great deal. It's funny I originally thought I'd do the Camino to commemorate my 60th year also bu after devouring every piece of information I coul about the Camino I became a little obsessed and decided this must be a calling that I am to do it sooner. So I will turn 58 shortly after I return home. Maybe my second Camino will be my 60th year!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello Ladywalk - I walked solo in September and finished with folks that I hope will be friends for a lifetime... it certainly feels like I've known them all my life. In Santiago it felt like there were friends on every corner... you really wont be alone.

It was very hot in September but we walked into cooler weather but you'll be walking into summer. One of the best things I took (after advice here) was a sarong. I wore it as a skirt, used it as a wrap in town, a scarf when it was cold, a blanket, a picnic blanket and towel and a pillow case... it's a fab addition to your pack and means you can wear it with a t-shirt in the evening. It dries quickly and it's very light.

I wore long trousers but that was my preference - lots of girls wearing shorts or capri length pants. I had a vest t-shirt and 2 technical t-shirts and a fleece... it was a good combination for me.

Also, I was desperate to get my pack weight down before I started and it's a good discipline but I did regret not taking a few personal items and ended up buying moisteriser, perfume, lip gloss and nail polish. Only small things but it made such a difference after a long hot day.

And... Vicks is the best thing for feet. It works like vasoline to help prevent friction and blisters but it smells lovely and your feet feel so refreshed when you put it on.

Finally - I took a few of those mineral replacement powders that cyclists often use... if you're sweating a lot it's useful to drink it with your water.

Have an amazing trip!
Wow! Thank you so much!!! I have a sarong in my closet that has probably never been used! I will take it for sure! Thx for the other great tips as well!!

Don't worry about going solo. Most of the people that i knew that were solo were embraced very shortly by a Camino family(other pilgrims). Everybody watches out for everybody else. One day while walking on the Camino my husband was feeling ill from something he had eat and got sick. We had run out of water maybe 3km before the town. A piligrim came up to us and gave us all his water! it was quite a gift and all my husband needed to get better. This just one act of kindness out of many that we experienced on the Camino. We still have friends that we walked with on the Camino to this day.
I would take a fleece at least.
Thank you so much Vern! I hear about these random acts of kindness all the time. It's so beautiful.

Hello. In June, you do not need warm clothes.
Only a fleece pullover for dawn.
It is important to wear waterproof.
Do not forget a hat. But an umbrella is great for rain and especially to the sun. On sunny days an umbrella is better than a hat. that's my experience.
Clothing the minimum. you can wash everyday road dust. will dry very quickly.
Buen Camino.
Thank you mikes. Any particular type of umbrella you found convenient?

Two years ago it snowed over the pass in June.
I about froze in June in Santo Domingo del Calzada, so the weather cannot be predicted.

That said, I'd bring layers - like suggested. No heavy coat, just a fleece and windbreaker/raincoat.

I personally don't bother getting euros before I get to Spain.
There are many ATMs at the airport, and they are on nearly every floor.
Just ask one of the nice airport helpers dressed in green to direct you.

Clothes for evening? Just your pilgrim clothes.
I usually put on "tomorrow's clothes" after my shower.

Be sure and have an ATM with a four-NUMERAL pincode. No letters.
Mine is Charles Schwab - they reimburse me ALL fees at the end of each month.

Be sure to CALL YOUR BANK before you leave to tell them you will be in Spain so your ATM card doesn't get frozen.

Book your lodging in SJPP and Orisson - it will be crowded in June.

Have fun!
Someone else gave me the same advice about evening clothes-next days clothes:) I also hear much about Orisson! Thank you very much!

Black folding umbrella
The black color gives plenty of shade and feeling of freshness

Met and walked with a number of solo ladies from an 18 year old Bavarian girl to young women to one in her 60s, from all over the world. They were all having a great time with no problems. As to temperatures, layers that you can quickly take off as the sun comes up, it can be slightly cool in the early morning. Money? my bank card is stowed away safely and credit cards are left behind and replaced with a prepaid card that can be used anywhere you can use a credit or debit card. Check out current exchange rates. The euro is at its weakest in a long time against sterling so may also have a good rate against the dollar. It is about ten weeks before I go but have all my euro already. And dont worry about the nerves, this will be my third time on the Camino and I am terrified about crossing the Pyrenees but once you start walking it all disappears, Buen Camino
Oh no through experience comes wisdom! Should I be terrified of the Pyrenees or truly do you rise above it. No pun! :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh no through experience comes wisdom! Should I be terrified of the Pyrenees or truly do you rise above it. No pun! :)
Not through experience. Although I have been on the Camino before, I started in Pamplona so have no experience of the Pyrenees so somewhat apprehensive because of weather. You will not have the same problem as the snow should be long past when you get there. My son walked the Valcarlos route and overstretched himself to such an extent he was ready to abandon his camino after one day but still made it all the way. So yes, I am somewhat frightened of the unknown but that is natural for most people but as I said in some other thread, 'it will be allright on the night' and even if not a pun it made me laugh :)

If you book in Orison you will have two days, instead of one very long day, to deal with the hardest stage of the Pyrenees. Being 59 at the time and not an experienced trekker, I was glad to be able to take it slow, especially in the early days. As a confidence builder and 'security blanket', I found that the common meal at Orison seemed to open the door to some early conversation and supportive acquaintances (coincidentally, although we didn't re-connect and bond intensely until later days, I actually met much of my 'camino family 'at Orison). After supper and breakfast together at Orison, even those walking alone 'knew' some of people around them on the daunting but spectacular heights before Roncevalles. You could keep your 'personal space' and your own pace, but it was reassuring. Book early if Orison is in your plan. St jean and Orison were the only beds we booked before we arrived on the camino, and after that we were surprised and happy to be able to go with the flow and listen to our bodies tell us when to stop.
Can't wait to return. Buen Camino to you Ladywalker!

One thing about shorts is that it is better to wear long shorts and not short shorts. Spanish people are inherently modest and would object to short shorts being worn in visits to churches and other religious places.
There are plenty of ATMs around, which generally limit withdrawals to 200 euros, or occasionally 300 euros. I get the max amount to avoid many the fee charged for every withdrawal, and when I am down to under 100 euros I keep an eye out for an ATM to replenish my funds. The ATMs are very user-friendly and shown a choice of languages you want to use. If English, check on the UK flag, and away you go, obeying the instructions as normal. Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you Tom! This helps a great deal. It's funny I originally thought I'd do the Camino to commemorate my 60th year also bu after devouring every piece of information I coul about the Camino I became a little obsessed and decided this must be a calling that I am to do it sooner. So I will turn 58 shortly after I return home. Maybe my second Camino will be my 60th year!

GO FOR IT! You KNOW you deserve it. In 2013, my 60th birthday happened to coincide with a Friday pilgrim Mass at the Cathedral where the Botafumeiro was used. I thought it was nice that they went to all that trouble and expense for me!;)

There is nothing along the Camino Frances that cannot be managed or dealt with easily. There will be other pilgrims around for you to rely on. The "creep quotient" is extremely low to non-existent. Most if not all pilgrims are simply doing what you are doing.

This said, and at the risk of being censored, I would like to touch on a rarely discussed issue. You should be aware that with the Spanish economy in the dumpster these past several years, there is a very small number, not a lot, of folks who are on a more or less continuous Camino. They wander along the Camino in both directions, obtaining shelter and food at donativo albergues, and a VERY VERY SMALL number will resort to petty property crimes or friendly scams to obtain cash, if the opportunity presents.

These are not violent crimes. The Camino is far more safe than walking the streets at night wherever you live. Typically, stuff goes "walkabout" in an albergue and cannot be found. Most of the time, the item turns up. But sometimes, someone who felt they needed it more may have taken it. That's life...

Lesson: Only take the minimum of valuable documents, jewelry, and electronics with you. Before you leave home, STRIP YOUR WALLET to remove anything you will not absolutely need. This reduces weight and the need to replace stuff if your wallet gets lost or otherwise goes missing. Basically, you need cards to: get cash (debit), buy stuff (credit), government-issued photo ID (driver license or national ID card), get health care (insurance card), and explain special health issues (diabetes, heart condition, allergies, bariatric surgery ID cards, etc.). These cards, plus a passport are all you need. Leave library cards, shopping club cards, family photos, spare house keys, etc. at home.

Be sure to keep your valuables with you at ALL times, including when in the shower (Ziploc) bags work great for this. Wear a money-belt or keep the valuables, including electronics, on your person even when sleeping. I sometimes wear the tops of my cargo pants in the sleeping bag, with the pockets filled. Other people have stated the exact same advice all over this forum. But it seems to fit here so I am mentioning it redundantly. Sorry, if you saw it already...

THIS IS NOT intended to be an criticism or indictment of the Camino or of these people. They are simply doing what they must to get by during very difficult financial times in their countries. In similar circumstances I would likely do something similar. "Judge not, lest ye be judged..." also one of the informal Camino Rules...

The Camino, especially the Frances IS a relatively inexpensive vacation for many people and about half of all pilgrims along this route are Spanish. Those are facts. While this is not necessarily a good motivation for doing the Camino, it does remain an option for some down and out folks. All things considered, the Camino, writ large, is also extremely safe, even for women traveling solo.

My point in raising this issue is two-fold: (1) others seldom raise the issue, and it needs to be out there IMHO; and (2) all pilgrims must retain at least some of the "street smarts" they held in the "real world." 99.9 percent of all pilgrims and persons you encounter on the Camino will be sincere, generous, helpful people, committed to doing their pilgrimage to Santiago. This is particularly true when you walk into large towns and cities (e.g. Logrono, Burgos, Leon, Santiago, etc.). You just need to keep your "BS Meter" turned on, but turned to low and on the back burner, as you walk your Camino.

As you start out, you will meet many good people and will quickly form an ad hoc "Camino Family" for the duration of your pilgrimage. These people will be your first resource for any problem or challenge you encounter along the way. The language barrier usually gets overcome by a pidgin variety of English, French, Spanish and whatever else the group happens to bring to the table.

Spanish is the most spoken primary language, followed by English as a first or second language. First languages heard most often are: French, Italian, Portuguese, German, and a variety of Eastern and Northern European languages. However, you will also meet and speak with a significant number of folks from South Korea. As a general statement, most people have some English. Still, it is good to try to learn at least some Spanish before you go. It is simply the polite thing to do.

Along the Camino, everyone helps everyone else. Really, you have to experience it to believe it. In fact, once your Camino ends at Santiago or Finisterre, it is these people you will shed tears with, and for, as your experience comes to a close.

I hope this adds value to the dialog and helps someone.

Lady Walker, I'd get at least some euros before departing. The exchange rate (with the dollar)has come down in the last month, so why not take advantage of it? You never know when it might go way back up. I paid $1.40 per euro in 2012, but only $1.17 last week. That means for 500 euros in 2012 I paid $700., but at the rate now, 500. only cost me $584.00. Some banks will sell euros for no fee, (Wells Fargo) if you have an account with them.

It's actually not that hard. I'm with Wells Fargo, so I called up the local branch that is designated as an International Teller Site. They said they didn't have any, but they could get some in a week. I think the fee was about $15 if I remember right. Certainly, this is more than an ATM fee you'd be charged overseas. But it was nice to have the cash ready when I landed, especially since I had some issues with my debit card. For me, it was worth it.

p.s. I did inform Wells Fargo that I would be travelling to Europe, but I still had issues with my card when I arrived. And I can't believe I forgot this part. I was going to another town and I called up their Wells Fargo to see if they had any euros in stock, and they did. The whole process took about 10 minutes!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
GO FOR IT! You KNOW you deserve it. In 2013, my 60th birthday happened to coincide with a Friday pilgrim Mass at the Cathedral where the Botafumeiro was used. I thought it was nice that they went to all that trouble and expense for me!;)

There is nothing along the Camino Frances that cannot be managed or dealt with easily. There will be other pilgrims around for you to rely on. The "creep quotient" is extremely low to non-existent. Most if not all pilgrims are simply doing what you are doing.

This said, and at the risk of being censored, I would like to touch on a rarely discussed issue. You should be aware that with the Spanish economy in the dumpster these past several years, there is a very small number, not a lot, of folks who are on a more or less continuous Camino. They wander along the Camino in both directions, obtaining shelter and food at donativo albergues, and a VERY VERY SMALL number will resort to petty property crimes or friendly scams to obtain cash, if the opportunity presents.

These are not violent crimes. The Camino is far more safe than walking the streets at night wherever you live. Typically, stuff goes "walkabout" in an albergue and cannot be found. Most of the time, the item turns up. But sometimes, someone who felt they needed it more may have taken it. That's life...

Lesson: Only take the minimum of valuable documents, jewelry, and electronics with you. Before you leave home, STRIP YOUR WALLET to remove anything you will not absolutely need. This reduces weight and the need to replace stuff if your wallet gets lost or otherwise goes missing. Basically, you need cards to: get cash (debit), buy stuff (credit), government-issued photo ID (driver license or national ID card), get health care (insurance card), and explain special health issues (diabetes, heart condition, allergies, bariatric surgery ID cards, etc.). These cards, plus a passport are all you need. Leave library cards, shopping club cards, family photos, spare house keys, etc. at home.

Be sure to keep your valuables with you at ALL times, including when in the shower (Ziploc) bags work great for this. Wear a money-belt or keep the valuables, including electronics, on your person even when sleeping. I sometimes wear the tops of my cargo pants in the sleeping bag, with the pockets filled. Other people have stated the exact same advice all over this forum. But it seems to fit here so I am mentioning it redundantly. Sorry, if you saw it already...

THIS IS NOT intended to be an criticism or indictment of the Camino or of these people. They are simply doing what they must to get by during very difficult financial times in their countries. In similar circumstances I would likely do something similar. "Judge not, lest ye be judged..." also one of the informal Camino Rules...

The Camino, especially the Frances IS a relatively inexpensive vacation for many people and about half of all pilgrims along this route are Spanish. Those are facts. While this is not necessarily a good motivation for doing the Camino, it does remain an option for some down and out folks. All things considered, the Camino, writ large, is also extremely safe, even for women traveling solo.

My point in raising this issue is two-fold: (1) others seldom raise the issue, and it needs to be out there IMHO; and (2) all pilgrims must retain at least some of the "street smarts" they held in the "real world." 99.9 percent of all pilgrims and persons you encounter on the Camino will be sincere, generous, helpful people, committed to doing their pilgrimage to Santiago. This is particularly true when you walk into large towns and cities (e.g. Logrono, Burgos, Leon, Santiago, etc.). You just need to keep your "BS Meter" turned on, but turned to low and on the back burner, as you walk your Camino.

As you start out, you will meet many good people and will quickly form an ad hoc "Camino Family" for the duration of your pilgrimage. These people will be your first resource for any problem or challenge you encounter along the way. The language barrier usually gets overcome by a pidgin variety of English, French, Spanish and whatever else the group happens to bring to the table.

Spanish is the most spoken primary language, followed by English as a first or second language. First languages heard most often are: French, Italian, Portuguese, German, and a variety of Eastern and Northern European languages. However, you will also meet and speak with a significant number of folks from South Korea. As a general statement, most people have some English. Still, it is good to try to learn at least some Spanish before you go. It is simply the polite thing to do.

Along the Camino, everyone helps everyone else. Really, you have to experience it to believe it. In fact, once your Camino ends at Santiago or Finisterre, it is these people you will shed tears with, and for, as your experience comes to a close.

I hope this adds value to the dialog and helps someone.
This is so helpful to me and I'm sure to so many first time pilgrims. I am so touched by the way people are so anxious to help people like me who feel a bit intimidated but want to do the Camino in the worst way. Muchas gracias! And God bless.

Not through experience. Although I have been on the Camino before, I started in Pamplona so have no experience of the Pyrenees so somewhat apprehensive because of weather. You will not have the same problem as the snow should be long past when you get there. My son walked the Valcarlos route and overstretched himself to such an extent he was ready to abandon his camino after one day but still made it all the way. So yes, I am somewhat frightened of the unknown but that is natural for most people but as I said in some other thread, 'it will be allright on the night' and even if not a pun it made me laugh :)
Thanks so much again! Buen Camino!!!

If you book in Orison you will have two days, instead of one very long day, to deal with the hardest stage of the Pyrenees. Being 59 at the time and not an experienced trekker, I was glad to be able to take it slow, especially in the early days. As a confidence builder and 'security blanket', I found that the common meal at Orison seemed to open the door to some early conversation and supportive acquaintances (coincidentally, although we didn't re-connect and bond intensely until later days, I actually met much of my 'camino family 'at Orison). After supper and breakfast together at Orison, even those walking alone 'knew' some of people around them on the daunting but spectacular heights before Roncevalles. You could keep your 'personal space' and your own pace, but it was reassuring. Book early if Orison is in your plan. St jean and Orison were the only beds we booked before we arrived on the camino, and after that we were surprised and happy to be able to go with the flow and listen to our bodies tell us when to stop.
Thank you soon much hobby horse! That's great advice. Many people say to stay at Orbison. I am definitely going to do that. Great advice too to take two days for Pyrenees. That makes me feel a little more secure. Thanks again.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
One thing about shorts is that it is better to wear long shorts and not short shorts. Spanish people are inherently modest and would object to short shorts being worn in visits to churches and other religious places.
There are plenty of ATMs around, which generally limit withdrawals to 200 euros, or occasionally 300 euros. I get the max amount to avoid many the fee charged for every withdrawal, and when I am down to under 100 euros I keep an eye out for an ATM to replenish my funds. The ATMs are very user-friendly and shown a choice of languages you want to use. If English, check on the UK flag, and away you go, obeying the instructions as normal. Buen Camino
Thank you Camino david!!

Lady Walker, I'd get at least some euros before departing. The exchange rate (with the dollar)has come down in the last month, so why not take advantage of it? You never know when it might go way back up. I paid $1.40 per euro in 2012, but only $1.17 last week. That means for 500 euros in 2012 I paid $700., but at the rate now, 500. only cost me $584.00. Some banks will sell euros for no fee, (Wells Fargo) if you have an account with them.
Thanks David g. That makes a lot of sense. I would feel more secure with some euros on my person when I arrive in Madrid. I'll have enough to worry about when I get there.

It's actually not that hard. I'm with Wells Fargo, so I called up the local branch that is designated as an International Teller Site. They said they didn't have any, but they could get some in a week. I think the fee was about $15 if I remember right. Certainly, this is more than an ATM fee you'd be charged overseas. But it was nice to have the cash ready when I landed, especially since I had some issues with my debit card. For me, it was worth it.

p.s. I did inform Wells Fargo that I would be travelling to Europe, but I still had issues with my card when I arrived. And I can't believe I forgot this part. I was going to another town and I called up their Wells Fargo to see if they had any euros in stock, and they did. The whole process took about 10 minutes!
Thanks jeffnd!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What time in June are planning on departing from SJPDP? My wife are from Georgia, USA and are planning on leaving from St Jean on June 18th. Maybe we will cross paths!
Hi there! I just booked my flight today! I arrive in Madrid on jun 16 at 2:50. I will keep in touch once I see when I'll get to stdpp. If I spend the day in stdpp on the 17th that would mean I'd leave jun 18th!!!! I know I'll be staying at the Orisson which was recommended by many pilgrims. I guess a great place in sjdpd to meet fellow pilgrims before you start out! Buen Camino mtman100. Oh I am from Troy MI just north of Detroit but am flying out of Windsor Ontario.

Once that flight is booked, it's a done deal! You're now one step closer to potentially the coolest thing you've ever set your sights on.

[QUOTE="t2andreo, post: 267430, member: 25553"

Age Issues:

Youth is wasted on the young. .....................................[/QUOTE]

Tee Hee!!!!!!!!!!

Loving this

Hi there! I just booked my flight today! I arrive in Madrid on jun 16 at 2:50. I will keep in touch once I see when I'll get to stdpp. If I spend the day in stdpp on the 17th that would mean I'd leave jun 18th!!!! I know I'll be staying at the Orisson which was recommended by many pilgrims. I guess a great place in sjdpd to meet fellow pilgrims before you start out! Buen Camino mtman100. Oh I am from Troy MI just north of Detroit but am flying out of Windsor Ontario.

That's it then friend. You are on your way. Many people on this forum will be enviable of you, many more will want to say,
BUEN CAMINO!

So many conflicting and perfectly valid opinions about ATMs and euros!

For my part, I have yet to do my first camino but I've already had the pleasure of a Spanish ATM eating my debit card while I was in transit at the Madrid airport. For that reason I think I'll take the advice to try to use ATMs attached to a bank, and during business hours, so it's possible to retrieve an eaten card.

By the way, to feed my camino obsession I devoured the inexpensive Kindle editions of these two how-to books (one by a familiar face on these forums):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CCQ4YLG/?tag=casaivar02-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005AK2ASU/?tag=casaivar02-20

So much fun! Buen camino...

For my part, I have yet to do my first camino but I've already had the pleasure of a Spanish ATM eating my debit card while I was in transit at the Madrid airport. For that reason I think I'll take the advice to try to use ATMs attached to a bank, and during business hours, so it's possible to retrieve an eaten card.

By the way, to feed my camino obsession I devoured the inexpensive Kindle editions of these two how-to books (one by a familiar face on these forums):

Thanks for that advice! I hope you do your first Camino very soon!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Ladywalker1:

Nights in the mountains can be cold. That said, cold is different for everyone. I would not walk the Camino without long pants or rain gear. There are lots of packing lists posted in several different threads.

I would definitely bring a small amount of Euro's with me (50). Depending on where you live, your bank will have in house or have to order. I live in Chicago and my bank has most if not every currency in house. I noticed someone mentioned a Schwab debit card. I have found this the best card to use. There are no ATM fees and a nominal currency exchange fee, less than 1%. You just need to open a savings account with them. I would also recommend a credit card with a chip. J.P Morgan Chase has one and so does Bank of America that do not charge currency exchange fees. These do add up. I have found these the best but I am sure there are others.

I, like others, recommend you make a reservation in SJPdP and in Orrison ASAP. This will eliminate any stress related to a long day of travel. Orrison makes for a short first day but eases you into your journey. It also provides an opportunity to meet other Pilgrims you will continue to encounter during your Camino.

Traveling from Madrid to SJPdP. I would recommend the train to Pamplona and that you contact Coruzon.puro.es They will pick you up at the train, put you up for the night, feed you and drive you to SJPdP the next day. There are other options but this takes the stress out of a long day of travel.

I am sure whatever your decision it will be the right one for you.

Ultreya,
Joe

Ladywalker1:

Nights in the mountains can be cold. That said, cold is different for everyone. I would not walk the Camino without long pants or rain gear. There are lots of packing lists posted in several different threads.

I would definitely bring a small amount of Euro's with me (50). Depending on where you live, your bank will have in house or have to order. I live in Chicago and my bank has most if not every currency in house. I noticed someone mentioned a Schwab debit card. I have found this the best card to use. There are no ATM fees and a nominal currency exchange fee, less than 1%. You just need to open a savings account with them. I would also recommend a credit card with a chip. J.P Morgan Chase has one and so does Bank of America that do not charge currency exchange fees. These do add up. I have found these the best but I am sure there are others.

I, like others, recommend you make a reservation in SJPdP and in Orrison ASAP. This will eliminate any stress related to a long day of travel. Orrison makes for a short first day but eases you into your journey. It also provides an opportunity to meet other Pilgrims you will continue to encounter during your Camino.

Traveling from Madrid to SJPdP. I would recommend the train to Pamplona and that you contact Coruzon.puro.es They will pick you up at the train, put you up for the night, feed you and drive you to SJPdP the next day. There are other options but this takes the stress out of a long day of travel.

I am sure whatever your decision it will be the right one for you.

Ultreya,
Joe
Thank you joe. I was wondering about that next step- getting from Madrid to stdpp. Just out of curiosity do I make reservations at Orisson by phone or online?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you joe. I was wondering about that next step- getting from Madrid to stdpp. Just out of curiosity do I make reservations at Orisson by phone or online?
you can use their website to book,don't know it off hand but it's easy to find.You may have to wait a little while for a reply and confirmation.

You can take a train or bus from Madrid airport to Pamplona.

I prefer the train, there are four daily. Depending on which terminal your flight arrives in Madrid. If arriving T1, you can take the airport bus to to T4 and then catch the Cercanias train to Madrid Puerta de Atocha train station. It runs every half hour. If time is an issue, you can take a cab from the airport to the station (30) euro's. If you arrive T4, you can just go down stairs to the train station and catch the Cercanias train. There is a Renfe ticket office there. You can purchase your ticket to Pamplona and avoid standing in line at the Puerta de Atocha station.

There are also buses from the T4 terminal.

I also would recommend corazonpuro.es website. They will pick you up, feed you, put you up for the night and drive you to SJPdP the next morning.

As far as San Jean Pied de port you can use booking.com to find a room. The website for Orrison is refuge-Orrison.com.

Should you choose to stay with the Corazonpuro folks, you could just start walking to Orrison upon arrival in SJPdP after checking in at the Pilgrim office. It is only 8km's and would allow you to skip staying in SJPdP.

Each of these places require reservations.

Renfe is the Spanish train. Alsa is the Spanish bus.

Hope this helps.

Ultreya,
Joe

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

We are leaving from Atlanta on June 14th and arriving in Barcelona on the 15th and spending the night of the 15th in Barcelona. On the 16th, we are taking a train to Pamplona on the. I haven't made the reservations yet to St Jean. So, I don't know whether we will be staying the night of the 17th. But, we hope/plan on departing from St Jean on the 18th and spend the night at Orrison. We look forward to meeting you! Keep in touch. My wife is an English teacher and is starting a blog on our Camino. I will give you her email address and blog info later if you wish. In the meantime, I am busy finalizing my decisions on cloths, equipment, and especially shoes for the trip. I travel a lot internationally, but have never been to Spain. I am not worried about currency. There are plenty of currency exchanges and ATMs in larger airports. The most important thing is to be sure to notify your banks and credit card companies of your travel plans. Thanks. Darrell

We are leaving from Atlanta on June 14th and arriving in Barcelona on the 15th and spending the night of the 15th in Barcelona. On the 16th, we are taking a train to Pamplona on the. I haven't made the reservations yet to St Jean. So, I don't know whether we will be staying the night of the 17th. But, we hope/plan on departing from St Jean on the 18th and spend the night at Orrison. We look forward to meeting you! Keep in touch. My wife is an English teacher and is starting a blog on our Camino. I will give you her email address and blog info later if you wish. In the meantime, I am busy finalizing my decisions on cloths, equipment, and especially shoes for the trip. I travel a lot internationally, but have never been to Spain. I am not worried about currency. There are plenty of currency exchanges and ATMs in larger airports. The most important thing is to be sure to notify your banks and credit card companies of your travel plans. Thanks. Darrell
I really look forward to meeting you two also. I teach as well-4th grade-thus the summer time frame. No doubt we will meet along the way probably sooner than later. I plan to take a train to Pamplona, spend the night, then go to sjpp the next morning. I would love to follow your wife's blog! Please send the address whenever she starts writing. Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I really look forward to meeting you two also. I teach as well-4th grade-thus the summer time frame. No doubt we will meet along the way probably sooner than later. I plan to take a train to Pamplona, spend the night, then go to sjpp the next morning. I would love to follow your wife's blog! Please send the address whenever she starts writing. Buen Camino!

We hope to start networking with as many people as possible that are going around the same time as us
Linda's blog is: http://lbarrettscamino.weebly.com/?fb_action_ids=10206204974744390&fb_action_types=weeblyapp:share

We might spend the night in Pamplona also, based on the train schedules, and arrival times from Barcelona. I understand that there is a pension that will pick you up in Pamplona, let you stay and then take your to St. Jean the next morning after breakfast. I will check out the train schedules and make train reservations if possible and review all options. Check out this post from a pilgrim this past Summer about this option:

There is a perfect solution to your problem, get in touch with Istvan and Barbara at Corazon Puro: http://www.corazonpuro.es/
This is what I did - I took a train from Barcelona to Pamplona and Istvan picked me up from the station. He then drove me to his Hostal, which is half way between Pamplona and St. Jean Pied de Port, where I enjoyed a nice clean bed, great dinner with wine, good company and the following morning after breakfast Istvan drove myself and a couple of other pilgrims to St. Jean Pied de Port. It is the perfect way to start your Camino. Not only is it very reasonably priced but you will be well looked after and be able to enjoy the delightful company of Barbara and Istvan and tap into their knowledge of the Camino because they have both walked it twice.

I am sure that we will cross paths and it looks we will be arriving in Pamplona and/or St Jean the same time!

Thanks!

Darrell

also to consider - something I've noticed when arriving in the UK a few times last year :

http://www.smartertravel.com/blogs/...w-game-plan-for-airport-atms.html?id=21194088

"You don't need to buy foreign currency in advance. The big banks all have ATMs at important gateway airports, so just use your ATM card when you arrive. You won't lose more than about 3 percent in the exchange, and cards from some U.S. issuers impose no foreign exchange fee or ATM fee at all." That's the mantra most travel writers and I have been repeating for years, but now it has to change. You have to revise your on-arrival strategy.

The travel industry hates to see consumers get too many really good deals, and they're shutting the door on good exchange rates at airport ATMs. When I arrived at Gatwick Airport two weeks ago, I no longer saw ATMs operated by Barclay's (my go-to bank in the U.K.) or any of the other worldwide or nationwide banks. Instead, I saw a bunch of ATMs operated by Travelex, with big signs that read, "Free withdrawal." And yes, you can withdraw pounds with no withdrawal fee. But what you do pay is a really bad exchange rate—it looked to me that you'd lose about 10 to 11 percent, the same as you lose at the retail exchange counter. I saw the same system when I departed from Stansted Airport. ...(read more, click link above)

I can recommend the Pilgrim Tips. I dont agree with everything in it but I have it on my kindle. The other book, I have read a bit of it and seems quite good

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you so much. I did book s reservation at Orisson and I feel so good about that. I think about my future Camino famiky whenever I walk for training. I can't wait to meet them.

hello again. I'm planning to do el Camino this June. Will I need to bring anything for cold weather?

June ?

No.

Well -- basically just a pullover/jumper "just in case"

In case of surprisingly inclement weather, you can always just equip yourself en route ... ;o)

But do make sure you've something against the rain -- especially in Galicia. The rain in Spain falls mainly on the pilgrims doing the last 100K from Sarria ...

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back