Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

COVID Some more good news especially for you Portugues Perigrinos

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
According to the New York Times Portugal vaccination rate is at 84% (the story says roughly 86)
Spain isn't doing bad either! I checked and they are at 78% as of today
So you pilgrims out there walking in Spain and especially Portugal take off your mask (when you are out of a town of course:) and breath a little sigh of relief!
See you VDLP people in about 9 days!

Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Past OR future Camino
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
According to the New York Times Portugal vaccination rate is at 84% (the story says roughly 86)
So you pilgrims out there walking in Spain and especially Portugal take off your mask (when you are out of a town of course:) and breath a little sigh of relief!

I wish you a Buen VdlP Camino! This Camino is huge, and a joy to walk. Spend time in Merida: It is an ancient Roman treasure chest:

I will be out there too: Starting from Pamplona 15-18 Oct. (depending) and all the way to SdC.

Edit: Should the weather on the CF turn out to be unacceptable to my liking, my backup plan is to head to Merida and go up on the VdlP.

Marbe2

Past OR future Camino
2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!

We are very happy with the rates of vaccinations in Spain. @It56ny I share your enthusiasm regarding vaccination rates. But, as you know, vaccinated folks can spread the virus! Therefore let us be vigilant to wear masks and practice distancing as we walk.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
We are very happy with the rates of vaccinations in Spain. @It56ny I share your enthusiasm regarding vaccination rates. But, as you know, vaccinated folks can spread the virus! Therefore let us be vigilant to wear masks and practice distancing as we walk.
I agree 100%. That is why I said wait till you are out of town before you take off your mask. People = mask:)

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
I wish you a Buen VdlP Camino! This Camino is huge, and a joy to walk. Spend time in Merida: It is an ancient Roman treasure chest:

I will be out there too: Starting from Pamplona 15-18 Oct. (depending) and all the way to SdC.

Edit: Should the weather on the CF turn out to be unacceptable to my liking, my backup plan is to head to Merida and go up on the VdlP.
After 2 mid or late October starts on the Camino Frances I experienced good weather up to Logrono. The second one had lots and lots of really strong winds almost every day. Was pretty tiring having that in your face all day. Things started to change slowly to Burgos but not too bad. My first Meseta was heavy rain and rain much of the day and windy. My second was some rain and some wind never too intense with temperatures from about 5C in the early morning to about 15C in the afternoon. Galicia well I don't have to tell you. You never know. My second late November Galicia saw alot of snow but always manageable never very deep except going up to Rabinal and Cruz de Ferro. We were told to take a bus around this as it was not possible. Temps from about 0C in the early morning to about 10 or so in the afternoon. But absolutely no miserable days weather wise. But again every year is completely different.
I would imagine you would be in Galicia about 8-10 days before I would as I leave Sevilla on October 14. Could be wrong about this (probably am)!
Maybe I will see you after all somewhere on the vast stretches of our beloved Camino.

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Past OR future Camino
After 2 mid or late October starts on the Camino Frances I experienced good weather up to Logrono. The second one had lots and lots of really strong winds almost every day. Was pretty tiring having that in your face all day. Things started to change slowly to Burgos but not too bad. My first Meseta was heavy rain and rain much of the day and windy. My second was some rain and some wind never too intense with temperatures from about 5C in the early morning to about 15C in the afternoon. Galicia well I don't have to tell you. You never know. My second late November Galicia saw alot of snow but always manageable never very deep except going up to Rabinal and Cruz de Ferro. We were told to take a bus around this as it was not possible. Temps from about 0C in the early morning to about 10 or so in the afternoon. But absolutely no miserable days weather wise. But again every year is completely different.
I would imagine you would be in Galicia about 8-10 days before I would as I leave Sevilla on October 14. Could be wrong about this (probably am)!
Maybe I will see you after all somewhere on the vast stretches of our beloved Camino.
Does not sound promising. My plan so far is to set out from Pamplona on the 18. of Oct. Meybe the warmer climate of extremadura will lure me in... I have never had a masochistic tendency, also regarding weather...

If so, I will go to Madrid and catch a train to Merida.

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Past OR future Camino
A few in the past; more in the future!
Clicking through from that article brings you to a table showing that Portugal has the the highest percentage of its population fully vaccinated of any country in the world!

IMG_5052.PNG

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Past OR future Camino
I am tired. Vaccinated twice. don't care anymore.

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Past OR future Camino
A few in the past; more in the future!
I am tired. Vaccinated twice. don't care anymore.
We're all tired of this. But for those going on camino in Portugal, this is important. The high vaccination rate means that pilgrims can feel relatively confident that they are not going to spread the virus to locals in a way that results in hospitalisation or death, or get it themselves. And as a result of this vaccination rate, Portugal lifted almost all remaining restrictions yesterday, so the camino can return to something approaching pre-pandemic normalcy.

Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

movinmaggie

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino

Relieved to see this, I just booked the Portuguese for Sept 2022...

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)

Particularly impressive is that 98% of those eligible to be vaccinated (age 12 and over) have been fully vaccinated.
From the linked NYT article:

About 98 percent of all of those eligible for vaccines — meaning anyone over 12 — have been fully vaccinated, Admiral Gouveia e Melo said.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Particularly impressive is that 98% of those eligible to be vaccinated (age 12 and over) have been fully vaccinated.
From the linked NYT article:

About 98 percent of all of those eligible for vaccines — meaning anyone over 12 — have been fully vaccinated, Admiral Gouveia e Melo said.
Anyone who has traveled or walked in Portugal knows that there are caring generous and lovely people. When you have a population like that you get people who care about neighbors and strangers and thus 98%!

Airdog

SusanH
Past OR future Camino
September (2019) Camino Frances
October (2019) Muxia & Finisterre
I just finished the Portuguese Coastal & Variant - only 1 day rain - beautiful walking weather! Only time we put on a mask was to enter a shop, restaurant, Albergue etc which was mandatory. Outside walking the Camino I saw maybe 2-3 people total wearing masks.
And it’s the same here on the Ingles - masks & weather - but in Santiago last week most everyone wore masks (no room to distance).

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads