• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

South/central Spain in April versus September (aside from weather)

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
I'm trying to decide between walking the VdlP in spring or fall. More specifically, I would leave Seville at the beginning of April, or beginning of September, and walk to Santiago via the Sanabres.

Aside from the weather, are there any differences between walking those two months that I might not be aware of?

I'm thinking for example of things like mosquitos or other insects, crowded accommodation due to lots of pilgrims or Spanish holiday, differences in flora and fauna, or really anything I might not be aware of.

From what I've researched so far, it would seem that the spring time is more popular than the fall for walking this camino, but I haven't actually checked any stats so I could be wrong. I like the idea of the spring because the weather will be steadily improving as I walk to Galicia, versus the opposite in the fall. But April could still have its share of cold rainy days, and September might have more reliable weather (albeit possibly hot, but I prefer the heat to the cold). I'll come to a decision regarding my weather preference, but wondering if there are other factors I haven't considered.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
More places will be open and opening up in the Spring. In the Fall, more places will be closing down in mid- October although Xunta albergues are open all year once you reach Galicia.

It makes more sense to me to start in the Spring before it gets too hot in the south. As you walk north the weather should be temperate all the way to Santiago. In the autumn it could get colder and rainier the farther north you go.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I just noticed that Easter 2024 falls on March 31. Would the festivities around this time cause you to ensure you aren’t walking over this period due to the difficulties getting accommodation? This might be a reason to delay it until fall.

I have done the VdlP in 2 different years. I would go in early April. I had nice weather. Early Sept. can be very hot. It's through the province of Extremadura (= meaning "very/extremely hard", in English), and many long days of little/no shade...

The VdlP is also known as "The hard Camino" (El Camino duro)...

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I just noticed that Easter 2024 falls on March 31. Would the festivities around this time cause you to ensure you aren’t walking over this period due to the difficulties getting accommodation? This might be a reason to delay it until fall.
Start after Easter in 2024, IMHO.

If starting around Semana Santa be sure of your accommodation options. My wife and I started from Cadiz in April this year, on Good Friday, and I was very happy I had pre-booked accommodation - particularly for the first week. It is very much a time when Spanish folk are 'on holiday' with beds a premium. That aside...getting to experience Samana Santa festivities was a clear highlight of our pilgrimage.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If starting around Semana Santa be sure of your accommodation options. My wife and I started from Cadiz in April this year, on Good Friday, and I was very happy I had pre-booked accommodation - particularly for the first week. It is very much a time when Spanish folk are 'on holiday' with beds a premium. That aside...getting to experience Samana Santa festivities was a clear highlight of our pilgrimage.
Easter is BIG in Spain. If you can, reserve a hotel room in Sevilla well before Easter and enjoy the gigantic Easter parades, and walk out of there when Easter is over.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@JustJack here is a list of Spanish holidays for your review that indicate their region Andalusia, Extremadura, etc.

I know the title includes "(aside from weather)", but here is link I created for average temps on the Caminos (including Mozarabe, VLDP) based on Gronze stages.

@JustJack here is a list of Spanish holidays for your review that indicate their region Andalusia, Extremadura, etc.

I know the title includes "(aside from weather)", but here is link I created for average temps on the Caminos (including Mozarabe, VLDP) based on Gronze stages.

That's a great resource! You should add it to the Resource section.

Southern Spain in the spring is wildflower heaven (at least if the drought is lessened). In October that ground will be dry and brown.

The other natural feature that comes to life in the spring is the dehesa. The English translation is “grassland”, but that’s not a very good description. Wikipedia explains it better. In Extremadura, the dehesa is strewn with huge boulders and is a marshy green area dotted with white flowers on the ground, little streams, and the Jara bushes everywhere.

I think everything will be open after Easter. There will definitely be more people walking in the spring, then in the late fall, and you may have a very occasional bed crunch, but for the most part, the numbers of pilgrims rarely exceed the number of beds available in any place.

I agree with those who vote for springtime!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Southern Spain in the spring is wildflower heaven (at least if the drought is lessened). In October that ground will be dry and brown.

The other natural feature that comes to life in the spring is the dehesa. The English translation is “grassland”, but that’s not a very good description. Wikipedia explains it better. In Extremadura, the dehesa is strewn with huge boulders and is a marshy green area dotted with white flowers on the ground, little streams, and the Jara bushes everywhere.

I think everything will be open after Easter. There will definitely be more people walking in the spring, then in the late fall, and you may have a very occasional bed crunch, but for the most part, the numbers of pilgrims rarely exceed the number of beds available in any place.

I agree with those who vote for springtime!

The landscape is amazing. I think this is what is called Dehesa?

1694591861863.png

1694591821728.png

1694591543552.png
1694591645300.png

1694592060462.png

For me, the second picture captures it best. I remember an early morning leaving Aljucén and coming upon a peregrino who was sitting on one of those big boulders, actually crying at the beauty of the morning, with the early sun falling gently on those rocks and making a mosaic of sun and shadow. Gorgeous!

For me, the second picture captures it best. I remember an early morning leaving Aljucén and coming upon a peregrino who was sitting on one of those big boulders, actually crying at the beauty of the morning, with the early sun falling gently on those rocks and making a mosaic of sun and shadow. Gorgeous!

That would be an interesting Poll Question.

"Have you ever just sat and cried at the Beauty of the Camino"? Yes. ;)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I think Spring is considered more beautiful - in a traditional sense - and probably an ‘easier’ walk - more pilgrims - challenges might be flooding or a few accommodation hot spots. And I mean a few.

Autumn (when I went) is less traditionally beautiful- dry and brown through Andalusia and Extremadura - seemingly a ‘harder’ walk in the early weeks. But an amazing experience.
I wouldn’t start until late September or early October because of the heat.
Accomodations were easy to get except for a few places that had nothing to do with seasonality - just fiesta or not available any more. Less pilgrims and more solitary. A timeless meditation for me.

I think the Via is worth walking twice if possible - once in each season. Whatever you choose you can’t go wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_2731.jpeg
    IMG_2731.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2727.jpeg
    IMG_2727.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3140.jpeg
    IMG_3140.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 7
I'm trying to decide between walking the VdlP in spring or fall. More specifically, I would leave Seville at the beginning of April, or beginning of September, and walk to Santiago via the Sanabres.

Aside from the weather, are there any differences between walking those two months that I might not be aware of?

I'm thinking for example of things like mosquitos or other insects, crowded accommodation due to lots of pilgrims or Spanish holiday, differences in flora and fauna, or really anything I might not be aware of.

From what I've researched so far, it would seem that the spring time is more popular than the fall for walking this camino, but I haven't actually checked any stats so I could be wrong. I like the idea of the spring because the weather will be steadily improving as I walk to Galicia, versus the opposite in the fall. But April could still have its share of cold rainy days, and September might have more reliable weather (albeit possibly hot, but I prefer the heat to the cold). I'll come to a decision regarding my weather preference, but wondering if there are other factors I haven't considered.
We started walking from Sevilla at the end of March this year. Great weather, luckily we were ahead of the heatwave that started in mid April. We only had 1 day of rain which was our last day before SDC. We mainly stayed in albergues and had no trouble getting a bed. The week before Easter Sunday there were processions through most of the small towns which were great to see. Very few pilgrims walking, but enough to make it interesting.
I would recommend starting early and carrying lots of water and some food as some stages are long with no intermediate villages.

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back