• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spanish railway map, simplified...

Friend from Barquinha

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
None yet; perhaps the Portugese (2021?)
According to a Spanish commentator, this isn't exactly up to date, but it's the Renfe website network map as currently posted. And apparently very difficult to find on their website.

Some may find it useful.

1701362417283.jpeg

Website link for pdf (clearer, and expandable):

(I think the non-up-to-date parts may relate to some high-speed links that have been upgraded to such since the map was made. For instance, last year I think I recall that we went all the way from Madrid to Ourense via high-speed.)

Bon camino!

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That looks a very useful map! Unfortunately it won't open in a PDF for me, says file corrupt? It could be this useless phone of mine, of course😕..

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'll save the link and try open another time, definitely something I will use in the future, thanks!

That looks a very useful map! Unfortunately it won't open in a PDF for me, says file corrupt? It could be this useless phone of mine, of course😕..
I tried it with a couple of browsers with my Android 14 phone. It downloaded each time but the file size is only 6 bytes so it's a corrupted file and unable to be displayed.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It opened perfectly for me on my computer the first time I clicked on the link. I bookmarked it because it looked so handy. And then when I tried to show it to someone else a few minutes later, neither my bookmarked link nor the the original link above would open. Strange...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
RENFE-FEVE’s line map has disappeared again. I’ve no doubt it will reappear, or be findable by anyone willing to spend a fortnight tracking it down. At present anyone planning to use the FEVE is advised to go to the station and wait. Anyone planning to use any other part of the RENFE network is advised to try RENFE’s website, unless they’re in a hurry or suffer from ADHD in which case, frankly, you’re b*ggered.

It opened perfectly for me on my computer the first time I clicked on the link. I bookmarked it because it looked so handy. And then when I tried to show it to someone else a few minutes later, neither my bookmarked link nor the the original link above would open. Strange...
So, it's your fault! ;)

I've since tried other tricks and browsers but I haven't had any luck.

I think the map might be from this page? I get the same error message when I try to download it.
I just tried it again, and I get the error message as well.

Oh well...the long-distance map on the same page, that isn't a PDF, is just fine!

At least the potential is there...maybe contacting Renfe would help?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Probably because there isn't a FEVE line between those cities?

You can, however, catch the Euskotren E1 service.

Euskotren.eus
The narrow guage FEVE trains run in several sections between Ferrol and Bilbao, closely following much of the Camino del Norte. If you aren't in a hurry, it's a wonderful, scenic way to travel across Northern Spain..

The narrow guage FEVE trains run in several sections between Ferrol and Bilbao, closely following much of the Camino del Norte. If you aren't in a hurry, it's a wonderful, scenic way to travel across Northern Spain..
I know, I spent a joyous two weeks in June this year bunny-hopping along it - best €50 I've spent in a long time.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Before the Internet, I travel with a hardcopy of Thomas Cook European Rail Timetable. It's still in print and might be useful if you are unfamiliar with the European rail network.

-Paul

On the subject of rail maps these might be of use. Scanned from Rail Map Europe (ISBN 978-1-8384080-0-8) dated April 2023. Sorry it's segmented but the whole map is 90 x 70cms and a pain to try and scan on an A4 scanner.
Fragile too. Day 2 of a 2 week trip had me scrabbling to source fixo tape.
Enjoy.

Attachments

• Spain rail map 1.JPG
    Spain rail map 1.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 106
  • Spain rail map 2.JPG
    Spain rail map 2.JPG
    735.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Spain Rail map legend.JPG
    Spain Rail map legend.JPG
    707 KB · Views: 71
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Probably because there isn't a FEVE line between those cities?

You can, however, catch the Euskotren E1 service.

Euskotren.eus
Of course, any of my references to FEVE should have properly called it the former FEVE as FEVE has not existed as such since 2012; its Basque services are run by Euskotren and Metro Bilbao, its Catalan services to Ferrocarils de la Generalitat, and other services by the Valencian, Majorcan, and Madrid authorities. I was only surprised to see that the map omitted that stretch of the line as I have definitely been on that train.

Those who might like to take the line the whole way or for a good length of it should note that there doesn't seem to be café services, let alone a restaurant car, so pack your food and drink for the journey.

I took the FEVE this fall between Ferrol and Bilbao, saw so many great small towns and scenery, highly recommended!

Of course, any of my references to FEVE should have properly called it the former FEVE as FEVE has not existed as such since 2012; its Basque services are run by Euskotren and Metro Bilbao, its Catalan services to Ferrocarils de la Generalitat, and other services by the Valencian, Majorcan, and Madrid authorities. I was only surprised to see that the map omitted that stretch of the line as I have definitely been on that train.

Those who might like to take the line the whole way or for a good length of it should note that there doesn't seem to be café services, let alone a restaurant car, so pack your food and drink for the journey.
It's just that the news hasn't sunk in yet (photo taken June 11th this year).

No food or drink available but the crews seem to take regular cigarette breaks! ;)
Gives then a change to stretch their legs I suppose.

Attachments

• 20230611_095849.jpg
    20230611_095849.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 88
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just a thought ......

Renfe run the trains in the main but ADIF run the stations. So you can see the entrance/exit points i.e. stations here. Also the ADIF app is very useful in that it mimics the arrivals/departure boards at the stations.

Now if you really want to be a rail anorak (does this translate?) you can get the rail gauges here.

Or if you want to be a super nerd and check what power lines you can see from the train, why not check this one out if you want to while away the time on a journey

(I must have too much time on my hands)

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back