• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spanish Vitaminas

Gary May

Time of past OR future Camino
My first Camino begins on 16th July 2017
Has anyone taken vitamins with them on the Camino France? Or bought the Spanish variety en-route? I've seen on a thread that someone took a bag of protein powder with them.....but i'll be leaving mine at home :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've twice opted to bring my own vitamins and supplements as I preferred to keep my consistency up. They don't weigh much and figured if I bought them in Spain they'd weigh the same anyway. I also choose to bring Ibuprofen (Paracetamol aka Pilgrim's Candy) from home to as it comes in 200mg size rather than the Spanish 600mg size which nearly gave me an overdose when I popped three of those accidentally...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just a thought about why a person could be inclined to take vitamins while walking on the Camino - I'm sure many people eat many different ways but it seems many have coffee and toast for breakfast, maybe a bocadilla and beverage for lunch and a variety of Menu del dis for dinner which consists of maybe soup, some meat and French fries and either fruit or yogurt for a final course, all washed down with some red wine. For those following that eating plan, having some vitamin supplements really isn't a bad idea I think. I'm sure some manage to eat a healthier way when they find grocery stores in bigger cities but I wonder what percentage do that versus those who rely on menu del Dias? Myself, I also use some supplements for inflammation in my knee due to arthritis and this helps minimize my need for ibuprofen/paracetamol.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Myself, I also use some supplements for inflammation in my knee due to arthritis and this helps minimize my need for ibuprofen/paracetamol.

Fair enough, thanks for clarifying.
It's just that for most people, the Spanish diet seems to be ok... Seen them through for a few centuries ;)

Cafe con Leche - Vitamin A & Potassium;
Zumo de Naranja - Vitamin C, Potassium, Thiamin, Vitamin D, Niacin, Folate, Magnesium;
Tostados, Mantequilla & Compote - Vitamins A, B12, B6, C, D, E, Calcium, Copper, Folate, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorous, Riboflavin, Selinium, Thiamin & Zinc.

And thats before we get to the 11:00am Beer - Niacin, B6, B12, Riboflavin and Folate; and Tortilla - vitamins C and B6, manganese, phosphorus, niacin and pantothenic acid from the spuds and the eggs that are an excellent source of choline and selenium, and a good source of high-quality protein, vitamin D, vitamin B12, phosphorus and riboflavin.

Avoid the Lomo/Pollo/Buey & chips. Eat the Ensalada Mixta and some Fish, or Fabada or Garbanzos. Have the Fruta instead of the bl**dy Flan. And unless you have a specific identified medical condition that requires vitamin supplementation save the weight and save the money. Which you could of course then spend on a glass of vino tinto - "Each glass of red wine gives on average the following of your daily, nutritional needs: 1% Vitamin K, 1% Thiamin, 2% Niacin, 3% Riboflavin and 4% Vitamin K. Trace amounts of minerals are also found in wine. Each glass of wine gives close to the following percentages of your daily adult requirement of minerals: 1% Calcium, 1% Copper, 1% Zinc, 3% Phosphorus, 4% Iron, 4% Magnesium, 5% Potassium and 10% Manganese." source http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com...tion-benefits-of-drinking-red-and-white-wine/

Be healthy out there :)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Has anyone taken vitamins with them on the Camino France? Or bought the Spanish variety en-route? I've seen on a thread that someone took a bag of protein powder with them.....but i'll be leaving mine at home :D
I bought Vitamins and took them everyday. Your body goes through a lot. Protein powder is not needed IMHO. You just need to eat lots. We would have 2 breakfasts and often two lunches.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I will be bringing a multi-vitamin along with fish oil & Co Q 10 supplements.
I kinda like the way my blood work comes back the past 10 years I've been on this regimen.
I see no reason to change but I also don't mean this as advice to anyone.
Talk to your Doctor.
BTW I would prefer to pick up my vitamins in Spain but not sure of the cost over there. The Nicorette gum I bought last year in Spain was twice the price of what I pay here in the USA

Cafe con Leche - Vitamin A & Potassium;
Zumo de Naranja - Vitamin C, Potassium, Thiamin, Vitamin D, Niacin, Folate, Magnesium;
Tostados, Mantequilla & Compote - Vitamins A, B12, B6, C, D, E, Calcium, Copper, Folate, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorous, Riboflavin, Selinium, Thiamin & Zinc.

And thats before we get to the 11:00am Beer - Niacin, B6, B12, Riboflavin and Folate; and Tortilla - vitamins C and B6, manganese, phosphorus, niacin and pantothenic acid from the spuds and the eggs that are an excellent source of choline and selenium, and a good source of high-quality protein, vitamin D, vitamin B12, phosphorus and riboflavin.

Avoid the Lomo/Pollo/Buey & chips. Eat the Ensalada Mixta and some Fish, or Fabada or Garbanzos. Have the Fruta instead of the bl**dy Flan. And unless you have a specific identified medical condition that requires vitamin supplementation save the weight and save the money. Which you could of course then spend on a glass of vino tinto - "Each glass of red wine gives on average the following of your daily, nutritional needs: 1% Vitamin K, 1% Thiamin, 2% Niacin, 3% Riboflavin and 4% Vitamin K. Trace amounts of minerals are also found in wine. Each glass of wine gives close to the following percentages of your daily adult requirement of minerals: 1% Calcium, 1% Copper, 1% Zinc, 3% Phosphorus, 4% Iron, 4% Magnesium, 5% Potassium and 10% Manganese." source http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com...tion-benefits-of-drinking-red-and-white-wine/

Be healthy out there :)
1% of this 2% of that. 5% of something else
Oh man. That's a lot of vino tinto to reach 100% of anything lol

I will be bringing a multi-vitamin along with fish oil & Co Q 10 supplements.
I kinda like the way my blood work comes back the past 10 years I've been on this regimen.
I see no reason to change but I also don't mean this as advice to anyone.
Talk to your Doctor.
BTW I would prefer to pick up my vitamins in Spain but not sure of the cost over there. The Nicorette gum I bought last year in Spain was twice the price of what I pay here in the USA

Hi Jersey,
Do buy your vitamins in the US, not in Spain - especially when you have stores like Costco, the cost of vitamins is much cheaper where you are. We always stock up on vitamins at Costco when we visit the USA before flying back to Spain. On the other hand, you may already know that things like ibuprofen and paracetamol - or other generic drugs you may need while you walk - are quite cheap in Spain.

Faith

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just a thought about why a person could be inclined to take vitamins while walking on the Camino - I'm sure many people eat many different ways but it seems many have coffee and toast for breakfast, maybe a bocadilla and beverage for lunch and a variety of Menu del dis for dinner which consists of maybe soup, some meat and French fries and either fruit or yogurt for a final course, all washed down with some red wine. For those following that eating plan, having some vitamin supplements really isn't a bad idea I think. I'm sure some manage to eat a healthier way when they find grocery stores in bigger cities but I wonder what percentage do that versus those who rely on menu del Dias? Myself, I also use some supplements for inflammation in my knee due to arthritis and this helps minimize my need for ibuprofen/paracetamol.
What supplements do you take for your knee?

And let's not forget that "supplements" are not regulated in the US, nor Canada, so we have no clue what it is we are swallowing. Greatest business hoax ever.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
And let's not forget that "supplements" are not regulated in the US, nor Canada, so we have no clue what it is we are swallowing. Greatest business hoax ever.
In the USA
Dietary supplements are not approved by the FDA
but they are regulated

In the USA
Dietary supplements are not approved by the FDA
but they are regulated
Not very regulated of you ask me:
  • Federal law does not require dietary supplements to be proven safe to FDA's satisfaction before they are marketed.
  • For most claims made in the labeling of dietary supplements, the law does not require the manufacturer or seller to prove to FDA's satisfaction that the claim is accurate or truthful before it appears on the products.
  • Dietary supplement manufacturers do not have to get the agency's approval before producing or selling these products.
https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm050803.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Before our Camino I was taking 20+ supplements a day. I decided to go cold turkey and just took 2 with me - collagen for my knee and ashwagandha for high blood pressure. I figured all that walking was better for me than any supplement I could take.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've twice opted to bring my own vitamins and supplements as I preferred to keep my consistency up. They don't weigh much and figured if I bought them in Spain they'd weigh the same anyway. I also choose to bring Ibuprofen (Paracetamol aka Pilgrim's Candy) from home to as it comes in 200mg size rather than the Spanish 600mg size which nearly gave me an overdose when I popped three of those accidentally...
BTW in Spain ibuprofen seems to come in two sizes: 400 mg or 600 mg. I usually get the 400 mg and just take one tablet instead of the usual 2 x 200 mg tablets that I take at home. Paracetamol seems to come in an even bigger range of options. I ask for "normal" (using my best Spanish accent). I have to admit I don't know what that might mean in the weight of active ingredients.

Back to the OP's question regarding vitamins, I assume you have a reason that you take them (maybe even a doctor's recommendations to replenish certain low levels recognized through blood testing). Or if your concern is the wear and tear that your body will go through, then toss them in for some extra peace of mind. That being said, I again assume that you have a big bottle under your counter, so take a small baggie and throw in enough to cover your trip, and a few extra in case you drop one or two on the floor. I do this with all my prescriptions, my OTC sinus meds and my prescribed B12 pills. It is not a big deal and your load will be lighter everyday as you take your doses. By the time I have used up my deodorant, shower gel and shampoo, laundry soap, sunscreen, toothpaste and all the other what-nots, I can squeeze a few souvenirs into my bag for the trip home.

If you want to ramble off into US painkillers vs. Spanish painkillers, I will weigh in by saying that I have purchased the 600mg Ibuprofen in Spain for all 3 of my Caminos. I also have plantar fasciitis in both feet. They do not effect me as badly as the 200mg Ibuprofen that I attempt to take in the US. PLEASE NOTE the strength difference and do not blithely assume that you should not take into consideration the fact that the pill you are now taking is 3 times the strength of what you normally take. However, if you take anything without understanding the dosage, or if you do not understand the dangers associated with either taking too much of any painkiller, or even worse the serious side effects of mixing alcohol with ANY painkiller, then realizing that 600mg is more than 200mg is a moot point.

So...happy packing and Buen Camino!

I'll take my Vit D supplement with me. 2000mg dose per day for maint. Blood tests showed Vit D at 11%, took 5000mg per day for 6 months. Blood test now normal for age range. 2000mg is what my Dr. said to take. The Vit "I" of 1200mg per day I'll just buy in Spain.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Unless you have a specific illness/ follow a restricted diet, there isn't a medical/health reason why a healthy person that eats a varied and balanced diet needs to take any additional vitamins. Buen Camino, SY

Indeed. I talked about this with my GP and my pharmacist and both told me that an average person really has to eat and live very restricted before there is a shortness of certain vitamines.
They were affirmative regarding the benefits of supplements for arthritis/ joint aches. But also only if it would not interact with the " normal" medication someone already takes.
For instance , a patient on blood thinners should not automatically assume he can take turmeric pills ( used for arthritis ). T
Always talk it through with your doctor.

My reading of this and the advice from both my GP and the surgeon who replaced my hip is that glucosamine and fish oils might do some good and will do no harm, but the evidence is not strong. Using turmeric or derivatives as a supplement is generally not effective but using it in cooking appears to have benefits. As for other supplements, there is no evidence they do any good unless you have specific identified deficiencies. It appears most do no more than make your urine much more expensive than it needs to be, and make the manufacturers wealthy at your expense for no good reason.

My reading of this and the advice from both my GP and the surgeon who replaced my hip is that glucosamine and fish oils might do some good and will do no harm, but the evidence is not strong. Using turmeric or derivatives as a supplement is generally not effective but using it in cooking appears to have benefits. As for other supplements, there is no evidence they do any good unless you have specific identified deficiencies. It appears most do no more than make your urine much more expensive than it needs to be, and make the manufacturers wealthy at your expense for no good reason.
You make some good points. Especially about taking supplements that you just don't need, thus creating expensive urine.
The thing is many of us do have identified deficiencies that should be addressed. I'm sold on fish oil but you have to do your homework and buy from someone that puts out a reliable product. Bad fish oil can just exasperate the problem you have.
That being said, we all know we need extra water when walking 15 miles a day. Might we not need extra protein & vitamins?
Yes we can all eat more of the right foods but I don't see that happening on a Camino except for a few folks with great will power

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes we can all eat more of the right foods but I don't see that happening on a Camino except for a few folks with great will power
You appear to be suggesting that someone with the motivation, willpower and discipline to get themselves to a point where they will then walk in excess of 15 km each day, perhaps for several weeks, is going to lack the willpower to make good food choices. Really!

Back to the OP's question regarding vitamins, I assume you have a reason that you take them (maybe even a doctor's recommendations to replenish certain low levels recognized through blood testing). Or if your concern is the wear and tear that your body will go through, then toss them in for some extra peace of mind. That being said, I again assume that you have a big bottle under your counter, so take a small baggie and throw in enough to cover your trip, and a few extra in case you drop one or two on the floor.
I normally take multivitamins and fish oil daily to maintain healthy levels. Protein powder is only for Gym work....so would not even consider taking that :rolleyes:
Thanks for all the advice - i'll pack a months supply

Bad fish oil can just exasperate the problem you have...

Yea, bad fish oil exasperates me as well. o_O

As for will power to eat well on the Camino... when is the last time you saw a fast food joint along the way? I have always found it easy to buy fresh fruit, veggies, ham, cheese, eggs, nuts, tuna. In fact, other than the French fries is the pilgrim menu, what else does the pilgrim eat while in Spain?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is an interesting thread. Might some of this discussion be a reflection of the general idea that what people take with them (reflected in their pack weight) is representative of the fears that each of us carry with us, along our camino?

Each to their own - if taking a multivitamin every day is something you do because you feel it is of benefit to you, then why not take it on camino? If, on the other hand, you feel that you can't carry the burden of the extra 100 grams that the bottle weighs, don't take it.

Do take whatever your doctor has told you to take, and what ever pain relief you need.

If your pack is half full of vitamin or herbal supplements, powders and potions, then maybe take a look at the fears which they represent and consider whether or not they are based in reality?

That just my opinion... I'm as guilty as anybody else with regard to this!

This is an interesting thread. Might some of this discussion be a reflection of the general idea that what people take with them (reflected in their pack weight) is representative of the fears that each of us carry with us, along our camino?.....

Exactly, you nailed it down! Buen Camino sin miedo (without fear), SY

• Yes, exactly! It can be vitamins or anything else.... :)
  • Ps : I am as guilty as everyone else too, always carry a sleeping bag when strictly speaking it is not needed :rolleyes:
  • Buen camino!

Might some of this discussion be a reflection of the general idea that what people take with them (reflected in their pack weight) is representative of the fears that each of us carry with us, along our camino?

This logic would only hold true if you didn't regularly use vitamins and only brought vitamins when walking the Camino. That is, unless the suggestion is that people who use vitamins in daily life are living every day in fear, which I do not think was the intent of your post :)

This logic would only hold true if you didn't regularly use vitamins and only brought vitamins when walking the Camino. That is, unless the suggestion is that people who use vitamins in daily life are living every day in fear, which I do not think was the intent of your post :)

You're right - that isn't the intent of my post! I don't think that people who take a multivitamin in every day life are living in fear at all. As I said, each to their own... Personally, I have tended to take a multivitamin most days, since attending a lecture delivered by a clinical biochemist a number of years ago - he quoted a big research study from Harvard which found most people, no matter how hard they try, would fail by a significant margin to meet the daily recommended nutritional requirements from trying to "eat healthy" alone... for what its worth.

However, I do think that frequently, much of the hype around supplements is based on tapping into understandable, natural human fears and amplifying them, and then providing a "solution" to these "problems" for a fee... Sure there are supplements which have robust empirical evidence to support their claims of benefit. However, there are plenty (likely the majority) that provide no significant physiological benefits to the people who spend hundreds or thousands of dollars a year on these products. Then there are the supplements which are actually dangerous, either taken alone or because of their interactions with prescription medications, as well as those, which because of the poorly regulated nature of the supplements industry, nobody really knows for sure whether they are of benefit or potentially harmful... It's a minefield!

I guess this is a topic which interests me, because I find myself having to tell people to stop taking the supplement that has been recommend to them by some sort of "professional" because of the potential harm that it might cause them (in addition to already having lightened their wallets). Common examples include supplements which interfere with blood thinning medications or antidepressants - two things which you really don't want to be messing with!

As I said - each to their own - do what makes you happy, and check it out with your doc. None of us are without fear - for me one of the valuable lessons of the camino, which I'm working on trying to put into practice every day, is to let go of the fear attached to the things I cant control. It's a work in progress!

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back