• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"Spiritual" Preparation

Cathryn

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances March (2016)
When I first learned about the Camino de Santiago de Compostela in a Smithsonian Magazine article almost 25 years ago, I knew I had to go. After several plans disrupted (primarily by friends dropping out) I'm now set to begin on March 27. The delays have been propitious; I now have the luxury of the time to do the whole way from Roncesvalles to SdC and now I understand that I must do this alone. For months I've been furiously reading about Romanesque Art, pouches vs. bottles, crocs vs. sandals. Lists, notes, reservations, packing tips. . .

However, with less than three weeks to go, it has now occurred to me that I haven't really considered what my "goal" of pilgrimage is. Not a simple issue, as there are many aspects. Now I wish I had more time to further contemplate this question before setting off. It seems so basic; why did I get caught up in logistics?

I have found a book that has been very useful in formulating the question, if not the answers: The Art of Pilgrimage by Phil Cousineau. He considers pilgrimage in a broad sense, from the droll (Elvis's Graceland and Ferlinghetti's birthplace) to the sublime (Jerusalem and Angkor Wat). The book is divided into chapters on the Longing, the Call, Departure, the Pilgrims Way, the Labyrinth, Arrival and Bringing Back the Boon. I heartily recommend the book. Thanks to him, I'm reading Thoreau on Walking and Joseph Campbell on Myths. And I think my thoughts are congealing.

I would be interested to hear how others have prepared for their own ultimate "personal/emotional/spiritual" pilgrimage goal. Of course everyone's personal goal is different, and could violate the Forum's prohibition of discussing "religion." But I'm interested in the process of contemplation and what, if any, resources people have found helpful.

For me, I think that the answer will remain somewhat murky as I set off. Hopefully the act of the pilgrimage itself will provide its own illumination.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm hoping the act of pilgrimage itself provides an answer. I thought a wonderful book concerning pilgrimage was The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, by Rachel Joyce. It's fiction, and really touched my heart.

'Roads to Santiago - a Spiritual Guide for Pilgrims' - Redemptorist Press Price £6.95 by John Rafferty. A book of pilgrim reflections and could be used before or while on your pilgrimage. I can only find links to the old (2007) version but the new version (2016) is very well worth having (We have seen a preview copy). Maybe others can let you know when it will be available.

Also you could consider downloading 'Forty Days - A Devotional Companion for the Camino to Santiago' which is basically Bible selcetions for the few days before departure, through the time on the Camino and for arrival in Santiago itself.

Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Cathryn, don't worry, many of us on the forum just felt the call and couldn't have told you why we had made the decision to go, we simply did. Others might disagree, but I would forget trying to locate reasons for why you are walking, understanding emerges as you walk, the further you walk the more you learn about yourself, other people, and the more complications drop away. Try to have some sections of walking on your own, the Meseta in particular, because the long, mainly flat, silent (apart from birdsong) stretches allow for deep reflection. If you are Christian, perhaps you could ask blessings from your local church for the journey ahead and for prayers that the congregation might want you to carry for to Santiago for them. But as you will see from the many and varied posts on this forum, religious faith is not a requirement for walking the Camino to become a meaningful spiritual experience. Buen Camino!

Hi! Concentrating on the logistics and practicalities beforehand is not a bad start. If you're as prepared as you can be, you can put that behind you and free up your mind more when your Camino begins. Don't expect too much, and don't be disappointed if you reach Santiago thinking 'What was that all about, then?' For me at least, it's all been quite suble. Have a wonderful Camino!

At the conclusion of our Camino, it seemed to me that the Camino was great for my physical body and good for my soul, but I didn't get as far on my spirit (and spiritual things) as I wanted - candidly I didn't get very far. Probably this was due to too busy a life before the Camino and focusing on the logistics of getting there and being there. Brierly has some nice thoughts about bringing our tired and unprepared spirits to the Camino and asking for healing, and that the Camino does heal, but ... being prepared spiritually is like being prepared physically.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I had no goals but to do the Camino. Upon learning about it, I knew I had to do it, so I did.
I did no prepping for the goal, spiritually or religiously. I just did it.
It didn't hit me until less than 15 km from Santiago that my Camino was coming to an end.

Another good book to help preparation is one I was given before my first pilgrimage.
'Making a Pilgrimage' by Sally Welch - it is available on Amazon.

I walked a week on the Camino Frances two years ago, and returning this year, and am still trying to figure out my goal. Perhaps one of the things is to not have a specific goal, since my work is all about achieving goals. The Camino is a place apart, that has its own rhythm and pace. I like that place apart where I can just be.

I do want this time to be one of drawing closer to God, and will look to step aside from interacting with people for a while each day on the walk in order to be with God.
I'm also carrying a shell for my parents, as a way of carrying them in my heart, since they are too old to do it. They are thrilled with the idea, although it only developed along the way last time as I walked.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
'Roads to Santiago - a Spiritual Guide for Pilgrims' - Redemptorist Press Price £6.95 by John Rafferty. A book of pilgrim reflections and could be used before or while on your pilgrimage. I can only find links to the old (2007) version but the new version (2016) is very well worth having (We have seen a preview copy). Maybe others can let you know when it will be available.
Also you could consider downloading 'Forty Days - A Devotional Companion for the Camino to Santiago' which is basically Bible selcetions for the few days before departure, through the time on the Camino and for arrival in Santiago itself.

Buen Camino

In fact the new international edition of the Spiritual Companion is available here for £5.95 or from the English language associations across the world. Ivar will also have some copies in a week or so
http://www.rpbooks.co.uk/products/1709/camino-to-santiago-a-spiritual-companion

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A very good question. At this point, all I know for certain is that I must do this. I could name several reasons right now, but I am trusting that the purpose for the call will become known when I am ready. That is my prayer and hope.
couldn't have said it better myself....I feel the same way.

if the nature of pilgrimage is deep introspection - which is why a pilgrim needs to go alone - then I would recommend (and cheap 2ndhand on Ebay)
(of) The Imitation of Christ by Thomas A Kempis ... a 15th C book on how to be rather than what to do. It can be dipped into, just a paragraph read and meditated upon ... it is a marvellous book
par ex: from Chapter 1

".... it is not learning that makes a man holy and just, but a virtuous life makes him pleasing to God. I would rather feel contrition than know how to define it. For what would it profit us to know the whole Bible by heart and the principles of all the philosophers if we live without grace and the love of God? Vanity of vanities and all is vanity, except to love God and serve Him alone.

This is the greatest wisdom: “to seek the kingdom of heaven through contempt of the world.” It is vanity, therefore, to seek and trust in riches that perish. It is vanity also to court honor and to be puffed up with pride. It is vanity to follow the lusts of the body and to desire things for which severe punishment later must come. It is vanity to wish for long life and to care little about a well-spent life. It is vanity to be concerned with the present only and not to make provision for things to come. It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides."

if the nature of pilgrimage is deep introspection - which is why a pilgrim needs to go alone - then I would recommend (and cheap 2ndhand on Ebay)
(of) The Imitation of Christ by Thomas A Kempis ... a 15th C book on how to be rather than what to do. It can be dipped into, just a paragraph read and meditated upon ... it is a marvellous book
par ex: from Chapter 1

".... it is not learning that makes a man holy and just, but a virtuous life makes him pleasing to God. I would rather feel contrition than know how to define it. For what would it profit us to know the whole Bible by heart and the principles of all the philosophers if we live without grace and the love of God? Vanity of vanities and all is vanity, except to love God and serve Him alone.

This is the greatest wisdom: “to seek the kingdom of heaven through contempt of the world.” It is vanity, therefore, to seek and trust in riches that perish. It is vanity also to court honor and to be puffed up with pride. It is vanity to follow the lusts of the body and to desire things for which severe punishment later must come. It is vanity to wish for long life and to care little about a well-spent life. It is vanity to be concerned with the present only and not to make provision for things to come. It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides."
this certainly spoke to me ~ in a big way. Thank you for sharing it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Catholic Truth Society in the UK (you can easily find them on-line) have a small pamphlet about the Camino. It costs about £3 or a bit less and is very helpful in this regard. Lots of ideas, prayers, suggestions that can help to make your Camino more spiritual. Obviously it is geared towards helping Catholics but my feeling, having seen one, is that it is not so religious as to put a non Catholic off.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Though I'm still preparing for my first Camino, I've been on quite a few spiritual/religious pilgrimages to places near and far. My 'lesson learned' from those is that spiritual/personal transformation by definition can't be planned for an any traditional sense...it's about learning something during the pilgrimage. And if we knew what that was already there would be no need to go!

There is an old maxim that "grace is received according to the mode of the receiver", so being open to receive it is really the prerequisite. Grace itself is a pure gift.

Other than that, the goal of any pilgrimage is the same: travel to such-and-such a sacred place and see what happens. Just pack your open heart along with the rest of your essentials!

Buen Camino!

There is also the line of thought that, "Seek and you will find." To articulate the end that I'm seeking when I start is good. The problem lies in being closed off to what I find because it wasn't what I sought.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For me the spiritual preparation was as important as the physical, and not a replacement in any way for the time on the Camino. I used my little book for my first Camino and again for subsequent times too. All contributed to time on the Camino.

Like hearing the call of an old friend..
Go and see what they have to show you.

This old friend is listening, as your heart pours out, the spiritual pain melts away and the mind clears of the wrack, wreckage and clutter from the mortal coil.

Pour it out there, the tears, the joys
This old friend will simply put their arm about you and Show you..
Its gonna be..ok.

Though I am walking (my 1st Camino) in May, I didn't consider much spiritual preparation until reading Brierly's guide. Initially I had no goal or issue in mind, just wanted to find spiritual readings that would help prepare my heart to receive the gifts offered to me by the Camino. The advise of mentors & my minister have led me to several book already mentioned here.
But as I began reading & contemplating, a longing arose in my heart. (Here, I'll try to honor the restrictions of the forum). I was born & raised in a strong evangelical heritage which taught me much scripture. But I feel that I never fully grasped or appreciated the death & reserection of Christ in the way that liturgical traditions embrace. So I am now immersed in readings about the stations of the Cross & writings by the ancient Christian Mystics (St John of the Cross, Brother Lawrence, Thomas A Kempis).
As always, the Camino comes to each of us in it's own special way, even before we take a step outside our door.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I think that for most of us preparing for a pilgrimage involves a lot of practical getting ready, getting one's home life and finances in order and preparing one's gear for a long walk. These external preparations are motivated by the call, however we experience it. So all practical preparations are the visible signs of our response to an inner call. I see this as obedience, particularly as the experiences and rewards of the pilgrimage are then entirely unknown. As a believer going on pilgrimage to a religious site in response to a call, your essential preparation is going, which involves getting ready to go. If you have read the Bible you will know that all the great religious journeys of the Old and New Testaments are in response to a call which remains mysterious in the initial response. You are doing something profoundly spiritual in saying, "Yes" and getting ready to go.

I think that for most of us preparing for a pilgrimage involves a lot of practical getting ready, getting one's home life and finances in order and preparing one's gear for a long walk. These external preparations are motivated by the call, however we experience it. So all practical preparations are the visible signs of our response to an inner call. I see this as obedience, particularly as the experiences and rewards of the pilgrimage are then entirely unknown. As a believer going on pilgrimage to a religious site in response to a call, your essential preparation is going, which involves getting ready to go. If you have read the Bible you will know that all the great religious journeys of the Old and New Testaments are in response to a call which remains mysterious in the initial response. You are doing something profoundly spiritual in saying, "Yes" and getting ready to go.

So very well and thoughtfully said. Of all the things I have read on this forum this one made the most sense (for me personally) and made my heart feel at peace.
Thank you for posting this. I am going to copy this and reread it whenever I start feeling like "what the heck am I doing??"

...now time to go on a rainy day hike!

Blessings,
Ang

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think that for most of us preparing for a pilgrimage involves a lot of practical getting ready, getting one's home life and finances in order and preparing one's gear for a long walk. These external preparations are motivated by the call, however we experience it. So all practical preparations are the visible signs of our response to an inner call. I see this as obedience, particularly as the experiences and rewards of the pilgrimage are then entirely unknown.

Yes, this!! I am a great procrastinator on things legal, financial, etc. And I am being urged forward from my Inner Source to get this cleaned up before I take off. Obedience has always been hard for me. But now, it doesn't feel all that hard.

Necessary, yes. And there are dozens of things I'd rather be doing, but I'm guided one step at a time with all of this practical stuff that has been accumulating for a long time.

Thanks for this, Albertagirl!

Blessings, Priscilla

Carefully, folks....please keep the forum rules in mind as you post in this excellent thread. Discussion of actual religious beliefs is not allowed.

Several posts walk very close to the "line" but not crossed.
Please don't be the cause of this thread being closed.

Thanks for understanding.

My 2 cents. I have not yet done a Camino, but soon. I have talked to and listened to pilgrims who have completed the Camino. Based on what I have learned, past travel trips to various pilgrimage sites, my plan is as follows:

What I intend to do is to stop inside as many churches as possible. Sit a few moments to absorb the feelings of the church, pray for departed friends and relatives, then pray for my family and as for guidance for myself. I also want to keep a small journal of my thoughts and feelings. From the various pilgrimage sites I have gone to in the past, miracles do happen and are often recorded by others, if you care to look for them. Sometimes they results can be overwhelming, such as at Lourdes, France or St. Anne's in Quebec. The crutches, canes, and walkers hanging in St. Anne's were an overwhelming testimony to people's faith being rewarded.

Another thing I plan on doing is to participate in some of the symbolic acts I have seen in the video's and books I have read. For example I intend to make a few straw/twig crosses at some chain-link fences and offer a prayer.

I also have selected three small pebble/rocks that I will be taking with me to leave at the Cruz de Ferro. One of them was picked up in Las Vegas on a recent trip as a symbol for all the temptations of the flesh and greed. Another was something handed out at work and will be carried as a symbol of ethical and work temptations. The final stone is from the stream that goes through my backyard as symbol of personal and family temptations/challenges.

There are a lot of places where you can sit and contemplate nature and/or God along the way. I hope (weather permitting) to do that as often as I can. I also want to go to some of the monasteries where there are chants.

I have purchased a St James medallion that I will wear along my Camino and keep with my Credenzia and Passport when I am done. I am also thinking about when I get to Pamplona asking (and making a donation to a church) to have a Preist bless my medallion, my bicycle and my pilgrimage journey, before I leave the city.

And then at the end in Santiago, I intend to go to the pilgrim's mass, possibly twice depending on the day that I arrive. Once as a pilgrim in my traveling clothes and once as a cleaned up pilgrim who has had a night of rest.

Faith seems to be contagious, if you are open to it. The people I have talked to who have done the Camino seem to have recognized that they participated in something that has been drawing many, many people each year since the Middle Ages. Sitting on a vista or in a church and contemplating how many hundreds of thousands if not million other people passed this way for essentially the same reason should be inspiring.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have just realized that I shall be arriving in Pau, France on my next camino - Arles to Aragones to Frances - exactly six months from today. It seems strange to say that I am looking forward to the unknown, but that is how I regard it. In the meantime, besides working at learning Spanish, (I am very slow at that) I am also saying morning and evening prayer (lauds and vespers) in Spanish, preparing both my words and my thoughts for the experience of pilgrimage. Blessings on all of you as you prepare in your own ways for your pilgrimage/journeys on the camino de Santiago.

I also took The Imitation of Christ with me last fall on the CF. It was so good. Your description is excellent ... how to be!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back